July 23, 2014, 12:30:40 PM

Author Topic: EOS Body options for second camera/present  (Read 3023 times)

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
EOS Body options for second camera/present
« on: October 20, 2011, 11:30:45 AM »
Ok, here's the deal. My fiancee has recently thought about dabbling in photography. So for a wedding present I was considering getting her a DSLR that could be her camera and maybe my second camera from time to time.
She expressed interest in shooting babies and children or being my second shooter at weddings.

So, I thought I'd get some recommendations. I'd like to get a DSLR body only and a fast prime. I don't have the money to get her an L-Series prime right now (though that would be ideal). But I'd like something that is good on a crop camera (50mm is too tight, IMO).

I've considered a 60D, a 50D or maybe a 5D Classic if I could find a good deal. I'm trying to spend less than $1000 if I can.

I currently shoot with a 7D gripped, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II and a few 430EX flashes.
I thought the advantage of the 60D would be that she could use a couple of wireless flashes too and flip screen could be useful.

It might not be a very weddingy present and she might prefer jewlery but I think shooting with her would be a blast.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

canon rumors FORUM

EOS Body options for second camera/present
« on: October 20, 2011, 11:30:45 AM »

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
Re: EOS Body options for second camera/present
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 12:44:52 PM »
Hmmmm...  I can see why you would want to get her the camera; it would be fun, practical, and something you could do together.  But for a wedding gift?  I think you're right, she would probably love some jewelry from you.  The camera would be great for Christmas or a birthday...  25 years from now, do you want her to say that you bought her a lovely pair of earrings on your wedding day, or a camera?  Just trying to keep you off the couch, buddy!  ;) ::)
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 12:52:55 PM »
Ok, here's the deal. My fiancee has recently thought about dabbling in photography. So for a wedding present I was considering getting her a DSLR that could be her camera and maybe my second camera from time to time.
She expressed interest in shooting babies and children or being my second shooter at weddings.

So, I thought I'd get some recommendations. I'd like to get a DSLR body only and a fast prime. I don't have the money to get her an L-Series prime right now (though that would be ideal). But I'd like something that is good on a crop camera (50mm is too tight, IMO).

I've considered a 60D, a 50D or maybe a 5D Classic if I could find a good deal. I'm trying to spend less than $1000 if I can.

I currently shoot with a 7D gripped, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8 IS II and a few 430EX flashes.
I thought the advantage of the 60D would be that she could use a couple of wireless flashes too and flip screen could be useful.

It might not be a very weddingy present and she might prefer jewlery but I think shooting with her would be a blast.

I'd consider getting a refurb 7D using the Canon CLP for about $1200 (check with them on current pricing).  You will then be able to share batteries, memory cards, grips, or other accessories.  This alone might save you $SS which might make up for the higher price.  One of you could take a zoom and the other a prime if you shoot together. 

I would not buy a new 50d, but a reasonably priced used one would be fine.

Both the 50D and 7d have AF microadjustment which comes in handy with a fast prime.

EYEONE

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 02:00:12 PM »
Hmmmm...  I can see why you would want to get her the camera; it would be fun, practical, and something you could do together.  But for a wedding gift?  I think you're right, she would probably love some jewelry from you.  The camera would be great for Christmas or a birthday...  25 years from now, do you want her to say that you bought her a lovely pair of earrings on your wedding day, or a camera?  Just trying to keep you off the couch, buddy!  ;) ::)

Haha, thanks man. You are probably right.
Canon 5D Mark III w/BG-E11, Canon 7D w/BG-E7: EF 24-70mm f.2.8L, EF 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, EF 40mm f2.8 Pancake STM, Speedlite 430EXII + 430EXI, Canon EOS 3

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 02:02:59 PM »

+1. Learn from the mistakes of a guy who's been married three times. Get her jewelry.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

thejoyofsobe

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 02:05:17 PM »
jewelry sounds safe but some time down the road later if you're getting a DSLR for her the CLP sounds great.

here's some prices you can supposedly get on refurb'd DSLRs with the CLP.
http://www.overclock.net/photography/1088761-canon-loyalty-program-faqs-originally-potn.html

T1i - $415.99
T2i - $447.99
50D - $562.69
60D - $639.99

one of those should leave you a goodly amount of cash for a new or refurb'd non-L wide angle lens. of course the refurb'd 35mm f/1.4L is only $1,183.20 so that plus a $447.99 T2i doesn't sound like too bad a combination and would give you another option at weddings when she's not using it.

ianhar

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 02:07:54 PM »
If you live in the us, u might wanna check out canon usa store. They sell refurb bodies with quite low shutter number. Pair it up with nifty fifty should be fine for your wife.

And yes, diamonds are girl best friend. Not camera. You might want to leave the camera till christmas or birthday.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2011, 02:07:54 PM »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2011, 02:34:44 PM »
I think eyeone's idea is a great one; I don't see why it would end up with him in the doghouse.  after all, cameras are about capturing memories ... when's a better time (other than when having kids) to bring a memory-capturing device into the gift-giving equation?

I bought my wife a T2i as a wedding present (upgrading from her old XT) and she has a great time with it.  I bought body only since we already have lenses, but if she's just starting out a kit lens or a sigma fixed-aperture standard zoom would be nice enough to pair with it.

one thing to consider:  I know my wife hates my 5DII and even my old 30D because they don't fit well in her hands and are way too heavy.  she can actually stick the T2i with a prime/kit lens into a medium-to-large bad pretty easily, but no so with my 5DII with a 24-70 mounted on it.  definitely not trying to be sexist here, as there are plenty of women who like shooting with the 5DII and there are plenty of guys who prefer a Rebel for the weight.  but the hand size and weight issues are something to think about.  she may well appreciate the portability over having 8 frames per second.

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »
Jewlery.

Then by a second body for yourself, better than the one you have. 

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 02:54:23 PM »
Jewlery.

Then by a second body for yourself, better than the one you have.

that ... is quite brilliant, actually.  buy her a car and you might be able to get away with buying a new 300 f/2.8 L II for yourself

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 03:10:26 PM »
Oh boy! Something I can speak authoritatively on: being in trouble with a woman!  ;D

The reason the other gents keep saying 'jewelry' is that if you *EVER* cross the boundary where there was something that she really wanted and you got her something that's more of your thing, it gets dire and dramatic.  Even the coolest ladies have a low level of that in the back of their minds, whether they know it or not (you just may never see it if it gets appeased easily).  Seriously, but a little room in the budget for something that looks nice, even if it's not that expensive.

Now, to the camera.  If this is for HER and it's truly what SHE wants and it *IS* a PRESENT, don't buy used or refurbed; yes, it's conservative and makes sense, but it's just not a gift if it's used.    Again, if it's for her, get her something NICE -- which means features that she may want or use . . . unless she told you she wants to go pro and shoot in manual mode, this means a T2i, T3i, 60D.

The one part I would urge you to reconsider is putting her on a prime -- get her some nice glass (used for that is fine if you got a new body).  Before buying, Craig (CR Guy) was nice enough to respond to an e-mail suggesting the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM which was a great all-around lens that allowed me to grow quickly.   If she's going to want to shoot babies (that still sounds silly when I say it), the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM would probably be a better choice.  Again, if it's for HER, you may just have her stick with the kit lens and give her an IOU on a nice prime/L glass or a nicer EF-S lens.

All that said, what is your timeframe?  The lower-end DSLRs had some awesome deals during last November due to Amazon and Newegg going at it and the T3i will probably be ultra affordable during that timeframe.

Either way, congrats and condolences :D Life is never dull when you're married.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Isaac

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 04:29:51 PM »
Bearing in mind your $1000 budget, I would say the Canon 60D would be the best option. I have only heard really good things about it from friends of mine.

ronderick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 11:19:58 PM »
I think for ladies who are considering photography for the first time, I would recommend the 600D or even the 1100D. While the 60D probably offers the most comprehensive functions among the entry class models, a lot of potential female shooters complain that it's a bit too bulky.

A 600D kit set would do fine, but I do notice there are ones who find the different color scheme of the 1100D to be attractive. You might want to consider that.

Of course, this is also to ensure that ur heart won't be bleeding when you see the camera sitting at the corner cabinet collecting dust in less than six months...(seen that happen before).
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 11:19:58 PM »

Zuuyi

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 12:40:59 AM »
jewelry sounds safe but some time down the road later if you're getting a DSLR for her the CLP sounds great.

here's some prices you can supposedly get on refurb'd DSLRs with the CLP.
http://www.overclock.net/photography/1088761-canon-loyalty-program-faqs-originally-potn.html

T1i - $415.99
T2i - $447.99
50D - $562.69
60D - $639.99

one of those should leave you a goodly amount of cash for a new or refurb'd non-L wide angle lens. of course the refurb'd 35mm f/1.4L is only $1,183.20 so that plus a $447.99 T2i doesn't sound like too bad a combination and would give you another option at weddings when she's not using it.

I would say picking up the T2i $447 & a Sigma 30/1.4 $400

I would also suggest you getting a  Canon 55-250 is II $200; because otherwise she will want to use your lenses.  And I don't see that working out well for YOU.

So my total is $447(Overstock) + $400(Ebay)+$200(Ebay)= Give or take $1075 w/Taxes & Shipping.

But you will have to get her some other stuff too.  Think about all the equipment that you would go crazy if she used; then you need to buy her a starter version of those things.

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 07:20:23 AM »

+1. Learn from the mistakes of a guy who's been married three times. Get her jewelry.

LOL! So damn true!!!
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2011, 07:20:23 AM »