December 17, 2014, 06:26:57 PM

Author Topic: Most Anticipated Rurmored Sigma Lenses?  (Read 3158 times)

Badger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Most Anticipated Rurmored Sigma Lenses?
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 07:26:10 AM »
I've never owned a Sigma lens, so I'm not sure if excitement is the word that jumps to my mind. Curiosity is probably more accurate. In my mind, the Sigma lenses don't necessarily outperform L  lenses, they are just less expensive. So, if Sigma comes out with a lens of equal optical quality to an L lens for 2/3 the price, in my mind, its like having a 30% off sale on L lenses. Now, if they outperform, for 2/3 the price, I'm there!
Canon 6D, EF 70-200 f/4 L USM, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 35 f/2 IS USM, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 85 f/1.8 USM, 580EX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 07:26:10 AM »

slclick

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2014, 07:49:19 AM »
I've never owned a Sigma lens, so I'm not sure if excitement is the word that jumps to my mind. Curiosity is probably more accurate. In my mind, the Sigma lenses don't necessarily outperform L  lenses, they are just less expensive. So, if Sigma comes out with a lens of equal optical quality to an L lens for 2/3 the price, in my mind, its like having a 30% off sale on L lenses. Now, if they outperform, for 2/3 the price, I'm there!

Mine outperform their C counterparts for certain. But hey, that's only two lenses, For everything else I go for Canon

Radiating

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2014, 01:19:38 PM »
I'm not personally excited about any of these potential lenses.  It's not the focal lengths or apertures, but that sigma does not in any way get me excited.  I've owned several sigma lenses including 8mm fisheye, 10-20mm, 18-200mm, 120-400mm and 300mm f2.8.   None of them were remarkable to me in IQ or performance or worth the discounted price compared to their canon counterparts.  IMO it's always worth the extra $$ for Canon glass...

You can't compare the older Sigma lenses against the newer ones. Sigma has completely taken their company in a new direction, and for the past year has been the most exciting lens manufacturer there is. Instead of offering slightly worse lenses than mainline manufacturers for half the price, they are now making lenses that are the best in the world and gunning for performance like Zeiss and Leica while laughing at the offerings from the likes of Canon.

Their new 18-35mm f/1.8 is one of the the highest resolution crop zoom, if not the highest on the face of the planet (depending which copy is testes it's either the best or in the top 3), and has basically no image quality flaws. Wide open it beats or matches the big white zooms including the 200-400mm 1.4x on crop. And it's an f/1.8 zoom.

Their new 35mm f/1.4 was described as ushering in a new world order by reviewers.

The Sigma 85mm f/1.4 is noticeably sharper than the Canon 85mm f/1.2 II, and has much much less purple fringing with almost no difference in background blur.

The Sigma 24-105mm f/4.0 OS lens has 29% more spacial resolution than the Canon 24-105mm (combined average of 24,28,35,50,70,85,105 focal lengths)

I'm not personally excited about any of these potential lenses.  It's not the focal lengths or apertures, but that sigma does not in any way get me excited.  I've owned several sigma lenses including 8mm fisheye, 10-20mm, 18-200mm, 120-400mm and 300mm f2.8.   None of them were remarkable to me in IQ or performance or worth the discounted price compared to their canon counterparts.  IMO it's always worth the extra $$ for Canon glass...

I don't think you can compare the old Sigma lenses to the new Sigma lenses. I'm still not convinced if they are worth the cheaper price either, as AF is very important to me and I compare them always to Canon lenses. But the Sigma that's more exciting then any other lens from any brand (except the 35 L II) is the new Sigma 50 f1.4 Art.

Lens Rentals has said that Sigma's new lenses no longer have issues with defects and are basically the same as Canon or Nikon. I would trust a company that manages hundreds of Sigma lenses to know about their quality.

In fact if you look into the defect rate data the Canon 35mm f/1.4 L , which is an older design and therefore less reliable lens and compare it to the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART you find that you are more likely to get a lens with autofocus defect on the Canon than you are likely to have ANY defect on the Sigma. So not only is the autofocus way more problem free, the whole lens is more reliable in every way.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:38:43 PM by Radiating »

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2014, 02:24:07 PM »

You can't compare the older Sigma lenses against the newer ones. Sigma has completely taken their company in a new direction, and for the past year has been the most exciting lens manufacturer there is. Instead of offering slightly worse lenses than mainline manufacturers for half the price, they are now making lenses that are the best in the world and gunning for performance like Zeiss and Leica while laughing at the offerings from the likes of Canon.

Their new 18-35mm f/1.8 is one of the the highest resolution crop zoom, if not the highest on the face of the planet (depending which copy is testes it's either the best or in the top 3), and has basically no image quality flaws. Wide open it beats or matches the big white zooms including the 200-400mm 1.4x on crop. And it's an f/1.8 zoom.

Their new 35mm f/1.4 was described as ushering in a new world order by reviewers.

The Sigma 85mm f/1.4 is noticeably sharper than the Canon 85mm f/1.2 II, and has much much less purple fringing with almost no difference in background blur.

The Sigma 24-105mm f/4.0 OS lens has 29% more spacial resolution than the Canon 24-105mm (combined average of 24,28,35,50,70,85,105 focal lengths)

I don't think you can compare the old Sigma lenses to the new Sigma lenses. I'm still not convinced if they are worth the cheaper price either, as AF is very important to me and I compare them always to Canon lenses. But the Sigma that's more exciting then any other lens from any brand (except the 35 L II) is the new Sigma 50 f1.4 Art.

Lens Rentals has said that Sigma's new lenses no longer have issues with defects and are basically the same as Canon or Nikon. I would trust a company that manages hundreds of Sigma lenses to know about their quality.

In fact if you look into the defect rate data the Canon 35mm f/1.4 L , which is an older design and therefore less reliable lens and compare it to the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 ART you find that you are more likely to get a lens with autofocus defect on the Canon than you are likely to have ANY defect on the Sigma. So not only is the autofocus way more problem free, the whole lens is more reliable in every way.

That could be, but without seeing a 15 year old 35 L alongside a 15 year old Sigma 35 art, it may or may not be correct.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2014, 02:23:03 AM »
An "Art" refresh of the 85/1.4 would be very welcome.

+1

They can keep the optical formula how it is. Maybe add IS.

nah wide open it could still use some optical work at f2 its amazing and i really only use 1.4 when i'm at high iso and NEED the extra light to keep iso down
1.4 still has a bit of CA and is noticably less sharp but the bokeh is really nice.

definately up for a new 85 f1.4 Art and stick OS on it while they are at it

and i'm hanging out to see this 24-70 f2.0 OS...

APS-H Fanboy

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2014, 10:56:05 AM »
Maybe they're waiting for the Otus 85mm to set a benchmark and go after that.

AcutancePhotography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 11:18:20 AM »
While I am sure it is lower on many tog's list, I would be very happy if Sigma came out with an Art version of their 180mm macro.  It is already a good lens, but I bet it could be even better.  :)
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2014, 11:18:20 AM »