April 19, 2014, 10:30:24 PM

Author Topic: Sigma announces dp Quattro  (Read 633 times)

M4X

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Sigma announces dp Quattro
« on: February 11, 2014, 05:10:24 AM »
From sigmaphoto.com:

Reinvention of camera, reinvention of dp

SIGMA dp Quattro

The Sigma Corporation is pleased to announce the new generation of high image quality compact cameras “SIGMA dp” that incorporates a newly developed Foveon X3 direct image sensor (generation name: “Quattro”).

Unique and without peer among image sensors, the Foveon direct image sensor is similar to traditional color film in that its multiple layers capture all of the information that visible light transmits. Along with Sigma’s proprietary image processing technology, this sensor produces incredible resolution, precise gradation, gorgeous color, breathtaking realism with a 3D feel. In other words, full-bodied image quality.

For the new dp series, we rethought and redesigned every aspect of the camera, including the sensor, engine, lens, and body. While retaining its famous textural expression, which seems to give form to the air itself, the updated Foveon direct image sensor produces images that are more colorful, rich, deep, and faithful than ever before.

To a radical degree, the new-generation dp series embodies Sigma’s philosophy of creating cameras that produce works of art. Featuring the highest level of fundamental performance, this series unites artistic expression and daily experience as no other cameras can.

canon rumors FORUM

Sigma announces dp Quattro
« on: February 11, 2014, 05:10:24 AM »

AcutancePhotography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Sigma announces dp Quattro
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 11:22:16 AM »
That is a different looking body. 

I hope it works out.  Its a pretty camera
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

RLPhoto

• 1D X
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 11:28:03 AM »
Elegance in simplicity, but the ergos on this must be weird. It looks nice but... why? Why would I buy this?
24LII - 50L - 135L
---------------------------------
www.RamonLperez.com

mackguyver

• 1D X
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 12:12:35 PM »
Elegance in simplicity, but the ergos on this must be weird. It looks nice but... why? Why would I buy this?
+1 and I love the line in the press release that says, "Take all three with you and select as needed for the perfect shot."   
EOS M | 5D III | 1D X
EF 24 1.4L II | 50 1.2L | 85 1.2L II | 180 3.5L Macro | 300 2.8L IS II 16-35 2.8L II | 24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II
TS-E 24 3.5L II :: Extender 1.4x III | 2x III :: EF-M 22 2 | 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 IS

9VIII

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 05:04:51 PM »
It sounds like they get the best signal off the blue channel, and then they're interpolating red and green. On principle I prefer the idea of having all three colours recorded per pixel, but recording two channels per pixel is a whole lot better than just one.
If IQ off these is good they really need to step it up and make a full frame version, as we've been waiting for Fuji to do with the x-trans sensor.

Hopefully they can put out a new SLR body with rock solid AF that would actually compete on all levels with existing market leaders. That might make their global vision lenses worth using on their own.

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:57:14 PM »
I can understand the balance with the design but not the ergonomics. I'd like to try one out, it would be interesting for certain. Sigma isn't fooling around any longer, something about this must be amazing. Not sure what at this point.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 04:49:16 PM »

The Foveon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 04:49:16 PM »