July 27, 2016, 05:24:12 PM

Author Topic: New Canon Cine Zoom Lens?  (Read 10897 times)

RunAndGun

• EOS M3
Re: New Canon Cine Zoom Lens?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 12:08:04 AM »

What are you using for ENG now? What would you get out of the new stuff?
Right now I have a 5D3 and EF lenses (16-35, 24-105, 70-200 2.8, 2x teleconverter, 28 2.8 IS, 35 f/2.0 IS, 50 1.4, 100 2.8 macro), EOS-M with adapter, and 60D, Tokina 50-135 2.8, Tokina 11-16) and a bunch of other gear (audio, tripods , etc).

I do some event coverage, and documentaries. I want to do more of this. I have been thinking of the C100, at least my lenses would be useful. But I'd also like to have something all-in-one, quick to grab, with a GP all around lens. Thinking of the XA20 or XF200, or maybe even just a little Panasonic camcorder. Not sure what to do. C300 is too much $. Don't know much about the new Panasonic GH4 (with the audio add-on) but I suspect this cam is over-hyped.

What do you think?

My 'bread and butter' camera is a Panasonic 2700(P2 VariCam) w/Fuji HA13x4.5.  I bought the C300 mainly just for sit-down interviews and 'artsy b-roll' for feature pieces, but I do work on one show that specifies the C300 as THE camera(The bulk of that show should really be shot with a "real ENG" camera, but a lens like the 17-120 would help).

I've never shot extensively with a 5 for video.  I have two mkII's and a mkIII, but I bought them for stills.  But I have used my mkIII a few times for a third or fourth angle/lock-off.  We've all seen the beautiful images that can be made with it, but I couldn't imagine trying to cover an event with one.  I look at them primarily as a still cam, but if I look at it in the video sense, it should be more of a specialty camera (interviews, specialty shots/b-roll) not a general ENG camera substitute.  You would be much better served with a true camcorder, like the XF200 you mentioned.  The ergonomics would be MUCH better and the smaller sensor would help, too.  A large sensor when trying to cover an event ENG style can be a hinderance.  Wide aperture lenses wide open with a large sensor equals SHALLOW depth of field which can also equal frustration and missed/blown focus when you really need it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:13:12 AM by RunAndGun »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2014, 12:08:04 AM »

Etienne

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2014, 12:12:52 AM »

What are you using for ENG now? What would you get out of the new stuff?
Right now I have a 5D3 and EF lenses (16-35, 24-105, 70-200 2.8, 2x teleconverter, 28 2.8 IS, 35 f/2.0 IS, 50 1.4, 100 2.8 macro), EOS-M with adapter, and 60D, Tokina 50-135 2.8, Tokina 11-16) and a bunch of other gear (audio, tripods , etc).

I do some event coverage, and documentaries. I want to do more of this. I have been thinking of the C100, at least my lenses would be useful. But I'd also like to have something all-in-one, quick to grab, with a GP all around lens. Thinking of the XA20 or XF200, or maybe even just a little Panasonic camcorder. Not sure what to do. C300 is too much $. Don't know much about the new Panasonic GH4 (with the audio add-on) but I suspect this cam is over-hyped.

What do you think?

My 'bread and butter' camera is a Panasonic 2700(P2 VariCam) w/Fuji HA13x4.5.  I bought the C300 mainly just for sit-down interviews and 'artsy b-roll' for feature pieces, but I do work on one show that specifies the C300 as THE camera(The bulk of that show should really be shot with a "real ENG" camera, but a lens like the 17-120 would help).

I've never shot extensively with a 5 for video.  I have two mkII's and a mkIII, but I bought them for stills.  But I have used my mkIII a few times for a third or fourth angle/lock-off.  We've all seen the beautiful images that can be made with it, but I couldn't imagine trying to cover an event with one.  I look at them primarily as a still cam, but if I look at it in the video sense, it should be more of a specialty camera (interviews, specialty shots/b-roll) not a general ENG camera substitute.  You would be much better served with a true camcorder, like the XF200 you mentioned.

I'm worried about low light performance. I've got some of my favorite stuff when there's been almost no light. What do you think of a C100 ? No power zoom, but most everything else is there.

RunAndGun

• EOS M3
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2014, 12:23:58 AM »
I've never used the C100, but most that have them seem to love them and there's no doubt that the image it makes is very good.  Personally, the ergonomics of the Cx00 series don't fit my shooting style, but others LOVE them and if you're one of those that do like it, you can probably do great things with it.

Etienne

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 11:17:39 AM »
I've never used the C100, but most that have them seem to love them and there's no doubt that the image it makes is very good.  Personally, the ergonomics of the Cx00 series don't fit my shooting style, but others LOVE them and if you're one of those that do like it, you can probably do great things with it.

If low light performance is really good, I'll probably go with the XF200. The C100 low light is supposedly incredibly good, better than my 5DIII, so that is really tempting for me.

Ultimately, I think the best filming package for me would be both the XF200 and the C100, but I really want to keep my 5DIII, not just for stills, but I like the video from it as well and many times I am glad to have both in one package. Don't think I can swing keeping all three right now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2014, 11:17:39 AM »