September 30, 2014, 08:17:45 AM

Author Topic: Will the next xD cameras do 4k?  (Read 31062 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Will the next xD cameras do 4k?
« on: February 11, 2014, 06:43:24 AM »
Panasonic have announced a 4k GH4, which kind of demotes any camera only doing 1080p to the "also ran" category. Sure it is only a small sensor, but if 4k is more important than FF DOF artiness then the GH4 would seem to be a good candidate.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2014/02/07/panasonic-announces-lumix-dmc-gh4-with-4k-video-support?utm_campaign=internal-link&utm_source=news-list&utm_medium=text&ref=title_0_8

Is Panasonic hoping that this will push the sales of (their)  4k TVs?

Will Canon hold out on the DSLRs doing 4k to protect the Cinema EOS line or will they hope that they can maintain the premiums for those cameras based on features that aren't in DSLRs, such as SDI out? Oh, oops, Panasonic's got a base for the GH4 with SDI out ... someone is innovating!

p.s. why didn't this make it to Canon rumors front page? Surely this is just as significant as the Sony A7s or has someone decided not to put other manufacturers on there now?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 06:54:21 AM by dilbert »

canon rumors FORUM

Will the next xD cameras do 4k?
« on: February 11, 2014, 06:43:24 AM »

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
Re: Will the next xD cameras do 4k?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 08:55:50 AM »
Will Canon hold out on the DSLRs doing 4k to protect the Cinema EOS line or will they hope that they can maintain the premiums for those cameras based on features that aren't in DSLRs, such as SDI out? Oh, oops, Panasonic's got a base for the GH4 with SDI out ... someone is innovating!

Panic, because what else is there to do!

p.s. why didn't this make it to Canon rumors front page? Surely this is just as significant as the Sony A7s or has someone decided not to put other manufacturers on there now?

The attitude seems to be: Ignore them, maybe they'll go away.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 09:00:38 AM »
It's a m4/3 camera.  Yawn.  If I want a little sensor and 4K video, I'll get a GoPro.   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 09:46:19 AM »
I would be very surprised if Canon puts video 4K in DSLR body costing less than $ 2000 before 2017.

mkabi

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 10:11:03 AM »
Here is the thing...
And I've asked this before, can Canon afford to not put it in their lower end DSLRs, given that their competitions are?
How confident are they in their system? Yes, they have a vast array of lenses, affordable, sharp.... etc... etc... But can they depend on those to do most of the work? Are they going the same route as Sigma is...?
I remember hearing a rumour that they (at Canon) are satisfied with the 70D and they are not going to release a 7DII, okay so... Its a waiting game to the next non-rebel body... Which may be announced 2-3 years from now? Thats if the 7DII or some other non-entry DSLR is not announced this year...

Now, the other question is... Is 4K all that people is making it out to be?
I know people will start bringing out the various arguments, I heard them all...
Retina display being one of them (See other threads using search)
Yes, retina displays are amazing... But remember... Current retina displays are not 4K.
Apple is pretty smart about it... They figure the screen size, and appropriate the right amount of pixels for that screen. But there are other elements to it too like minimum/maximum distance from eye to screen.
At what screen size is 4K relevant? And what distance do you have to sit to notice this difference?
Canon 7D - EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L, EF - 20mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 100mm f/2.0, Custom Cine 50mm & Custom Cine 35mm

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 10:19:28 AM »
Didn't we go through the same thing with 2K video?

Nobody needs to shoot 2K video...
Screens aren't big enough to show it...
The file sizes will be too big....
There is no place for video in DSLRs...

Yet here we are......
The best camera is the one in your hands

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 10:50:19 AM »
It's a m4/3 camera.  Yawn.  If I want a little sensor and 4K video, I'll get a GoPro.   :P

By fixating on the small size of the sensor, you fail to see the big picture.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 10:50:19 AM »

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 10:55:42 AM »
Canon does not sell 4K  TVs...

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 10:59:15 AM »
Canon does not sell 4K  TVs...

Neither does GoPro and BlackMagic ... and yet ...

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 11:03:46 AM »
The inclusion of 4k video in the GH4 is great if you are someone who is looking for something that specifically does exactly what the GH4 does. But if you think that this is going to impact the market in such a way that Canon will be forced to counter in the immediate future, you are lacking an understanding of big business.

Again, it should be pointed out that the goal of any company is to reach as many consumers as possible and sell as much as possible. To do this, you are appealing to the average consumer with an average understanding of the products in general. At the moment, the average consumer is not yet yearning for 4k video. This will inevitably change at some point, but not right now merely due to the fact that m43 companies are putting it into their consumer grade cameras.

Quick test, go and ask 10 random people (non photog/videographers) to define what 4k video is for you and see what you get. Then come back and tell me how impactful this development is going to be.

I think you would be hard-pressed even now to find many people that could tell you what 480, 720, and 1080 are.

Canon is not merely marketing their products based on the fact that they think there are 10 million photographers/videographers that are going to buy their products. They are marketing to the average person i.e. the soccer mom or dad that wants better than cell phone photo/video quality and are looking for a boxed kit when at Costco, Best Buy, Target and Walmart. There are plenty more of the latter type of consumer vs people like the ones on this forum that cling onto every singular development in any imaging company.

BTW, I'm pretty sure they are selling a lot more Rebels than any particular L lens which should be pretty indicative of what the market is primarily composed of.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 11:09:47 AM »
By fixating on the small size of the sensor, you fail to see the big picture.

The big picture is that 4K video is a niche market. Displays are costly and not widely available.  Mainstream media is not available at that resolution.  Will that change?  Sureā€¦in a few years.  Rest assured, Canon will have 4K video in consumer-level cameras when the mainstream consumer infrastructure catches up.  If you want it now, get a 1D C or C300/500. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 11:37:12 AM »
... m43 companies are putting it into their consumer grade cameras.

The Olympus E-M1 is anything but "consumer grade". The Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 is anything but "consumer grade". And I'd never, ever call the Nokton lenses "consumer grade".

But I am calling the Canon EOS 6D a "consumer grade" camera. So there.

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 11:42:59 AM »
... m43 companies are putting it into their consumer grade cameras.

The Olympus E-M1 is anything but "consumer grade". The Panasonic 35-100mm f/2.8 is anything but "consumer grade". And I'd never, ever call the Nokton lenses "consumer grade".

But I am calling the Canon EOS 6D a "consumer grade" camera. So there.

Are they at a grade at which they are adopted and used by pros on a mass level?

Better yet, what is the composition of the niche of people that are using m43?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 11:42:59 AM »

spturtle

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2014, 11:50:44 AM »
I expect the 7D2 to support 4k and/or UHD video, because it will be around for about 3 years. Even if UHD TVs are not readily available now, they likely will be in 1 or 2 years. It is by definition a powerful (e.g. dual digic) camera so it may be a bit easier to implement it there than in the other non-1D cameras. An APS-C sensor also has approximately the same width as a Super-35 frame allowing it to be easily mixed with cinema cameras and lenses. Finally, the EOS 7D2 may get a CFast card slot allowing high data rates. All this makes the 7D2 the ideal camera to introduce "4k" video, following the 1D C.

Skywise

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 11:51:43 AM »
I wasn't impressed with the 4K TVs I saw.  Really they're only 2x the resolution of 1080p (they double the width and height) so the picture differences weren't as dramatic as going from SD to HD.  Would I like to take video in that resolution?  Maybe but I'm already gulping down drive space with HD family videos... Going to 4K would just consume my available space that much faster.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2014, 11:51:43 AM »