July 25, 2014, 07:48:33 AM

Author Topic: Will the next xD cameras do 4k?  (Read 27407 times)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Will the next xD cameras do 4k?
« Reply #300 on: February 20, 2014, 01:22:42 AM »
Um, first off, PS4 isn't 4k capable. Both Microsoft and Sony have been rumored to be investigating support, but neither have 4k support yet. If 4k was as close as you say, they would have both been released with 4k OOTB.

Sony talking about 4K support in the PS4:
http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/ps4-can-handle-4k-output-but-not-for-games-50010491/

... so it will play 4K content on the PS4. No support for 4K games, but that's different from 4K movies/video.

Furthermore, 4k upscaling is not 4k. You can upscale to any resolution, but that doesn't make it actually that resolution. If 4k was just around the corner, you would have wide scale support for 4k natively in existing bluray players.

Upscaling to 4k is producing 4k output. Just the same as upscaling 576p or 720p to 1080p produces 1080p output. The detail might not be there as would native 4k but that's another story. The point here is that the generation of 4k video output is appearing in consumer devices. How it's produced is not important. The market is moving in the direction of 4k. Either get on the train or get left behind.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/blu-ray-dvd/BD-F7500/ZA

http://store.sony.com/sony-dual-core-blu-ray-disc-player-4k-upscaling-zid27-BDPS6200/cat-27-catid-All-Blu-ray-DVD-Players

and so on. It has started and will keep coming and filtering down. Above a certain price point, it is present in all new BluRay players.

Denon AVR doing 4K pass-through and upscaling:
http://usa.denon.com/us/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?PCatId=AVSolutions(DenonNA)&CatId=AVReceivers(DenonNA)&Pid=AVRE400(DenonNA)

On nearly all products except for the cheapest:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq

Note that all of these Denon products were announced almost 12 months ago.

4K BluRay disc spec by end of *this* year:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/bda-4k-201401093581.htm

HDMI 2.0:
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/
Was finalised last September:
http://www.electronista.com/articles/13/09/04/hdmi.moves.to.version.20.boost.performance.for.ultra.hd.tvs/
Expect all new AVR style products to be HDMI 2.0 next year if not this year. After this year, the expectation will be for everything supporting HDMI to be delivered with HDMI 2.0 support.

None of these things have come to pass, which indicates that the beginning of broad 4k adoption is not just around the corner.

I don't think you're looking in the right place(s).

If you're announcing a new product that does video next year, it'll be old/out-dated technology before it hits the shelf if it doesn't do 4k. If Canon do a 7D Mark II this year without 4k and the successor to that is some 3 or 4 years away then its life span as a modern and relevant tool in video production will be quite short. If I were Canon and it was my xD DSLR being launched this year without HDMI 2.0 or 4K, I'd hold it off another 12 to 18 months to include it so that it has a reasonable chance of having a life expectancy of more than 12 to 18 months in the market place. But that's just me.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 01:33:21 AM by dilbert »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #300 on: February 20, 2014, 01:22:42 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 20, 2014, 01:36:00 AM »
If Canon do a 7D Mark II this year without 4k and the successor to that is some 3 or 4 years away then its life span as a modern and relevant tool in video production will be quite short.

Who's stating opinion as fact now?  You sound almost as confident as those who stated that having sensors with 2-stop lower DR would cause Canon's dSLR sales to plummet.

::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

jrista

• POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #302 on: February 20, 2014, 02:16:19 AM »
Um, first off, PS4 isn't 4k capable. Both Microsoft and Sony have been rumored to be investigating support, but neither have 4k support yet. If 4k was as close as you say, they would have both been released with 4k OOTB.

http://crave.cnet.co.uk/gamesgear/ps4-can-handle-4k-output-but-not-for-games-50010491/

... so it will play 4K content on the PS4. No support for 4K games, but that's different from 4K movies/video.

Are you sure that is 4k BluRay playback? Or is it just high resolution online video playback (which is certainly a step in the right direction).

Furthermore, 4k upscaling is not 4k. You can upscale to any resolution, but that doesn't make it actually that resolution. If 4k was just around the corner, you would have wide scale support for 4k natively in existing bluray players.

Upscaling to 4k is producing 4k output. Just the same as upscaling 576p or 720p to 1080p produces 1080p output. The detail might not be there as would native 4k but that's another story. The point here is that the generation of 4k video output is appearing in consumer devices. How it's produced is not important. The market is moving in the direction of 4k. Either get on the train or get left behind.

http://www.samsung.com/us/video/blu-ray-dvd/BD-F7500/ZA

http://store.sony.com/sony-dual-core-blu-ray-disc-player-4k-upscaling-zid27-BDPS6200/cat-27-catid-All-Blu-ray-DVD-Players

and so on. It has started and will keep coming and filtering down. Above a certain price point, it is present in all new BluRay players.

Denon AVR doing 4K pass-through and upscaling:
http://usa.denon.com/us/Product/Pages/ProductDetail.aspx?PCatId=AVSolutions(DenonNA)&CatId=AVReceivers(DenonNA)&Pid=AVRE400(DenonNA)

On nearly all products except for the cheapest:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1465528/the-official-2013-denon-e-series-x-series-avr-model-owners-thread-faq

Note that all of these Denon products were announced almost 12 months ago.

4K BluRay disc spec by end of *this* year:
http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/bda-4k-201401093581.htm

HDMI 2.0:
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/
Was finalised last September:
http://www.electronista.com/articles/13/09/04/hdmi.moves.to.version.20.boost.performance.for.ultra.hd.tvs/
Expect all new AVR style products to be HDMI 2.0 next year if not this year. After this year, the expectation will be for everything supporting HDMI to be delivered with HDMI 2.0 support.

Sorry, but upscaling is NOT the same thing. It was NEVER the same thing with 1080p either. Either you haven't really watched many movies from actual BluRay discs, or your just making an argument for the sake of argument here. Upscaled 480p & 720p to 1080p is NOT 1080p, and neither is upscaled 1080p to 4k actually 4k. Upscaling doesn't even bring you close, especially as the scaling can be done at the wire (meaning it doesn't require nearly the processing power or bandwidth as true 4k.)

Upscaling is the stopgap measure you implement between technologies, before the new technology has hit the mainstream. It's for the early adopters who buy a $40,000 80" 4k 3D TV.

Sorry, but I still don't buy this argument. I'll happily admit if I'm wrong about the PS4 playing 4k BluRay discs, but there is no way you can convince me that the advent of 4k upscaling heralds the imminent explosion of 4k in everyone's homes, and the imminent demand for 4k video recording in every device.

None of these things have come to pass, which indicates that the beginning of broad 4k adoption is not just around the corner.

I don't think you're looking in the right place(s).

If you're announcing a new product that does video next year, it'll be old/out-dated technology before it hits the shelf if it doesn't do 4k. If Canon do a 7D Mark II this year without 4k and the successor to that is some 3 or 4 years away then its life span as a modern and relevant tool in video production will be quite short. If I were Canon and it was my xD DSLR being launched this year without HDMI 2.0 or 4K, I'd hold it off another 12 to 18 months to include it so that it has a reasonable chance of having a life expectancy of more than 12 to 18 months in the market place. But that's just me.

Heh, so I agree with Neuro here. This sounds like the successor to the "DR is everything" argument. Boy, you anti-fanboys really know how to pick em and play em. The one feature you want that you can't get on Canon, and it's immediate grounds for the doomsday arguments. Good grief. I would offer that Canon producing higher DR sensors and making that an ubiquitous feature in all their DSLRs is VASTLY more important than them suddenly putting 4k video output in all of their DSLRs "right now". And you know where I stand on the DR argument.

So yes, it really is just you (and maybe a handful of your anti-fan brothers in arms) who DEMAND that Canon jump on the bandwagon the moment it's out of the gate, before more than a handful of consumers even knows there's a race going on.

BTW, Canon has done some pretty amazing things in the past with nothing but firmware. If they can support processing full resolution 10fps RAW right off the sensor, then Canon is MORE than capable of handling a 4k pulldown. If they don't release the 7D II with 4k support right out the gate, I'd be willing to bet good money they add it later on with a firmware update. I would even be willing to bet that Canon could add new 4k features and functionality to the 1D X and 5D III as well, if the time comes that consumers really demand it. All of those sensors have more than enough resolution...the 5D III is the only one that might not have the bandwidth and processing power, but then again, with a proper pulldown, handling 4k video probably wouldn't need the kind of bandwidth as 6fps RAW (which requires about 270mb/s, with a 4:2:2 YCbCr type pulldown, you would have a 14-bit full precision luma (Y) channel, and lower precision color channels, in which case 270mb/s is probably just about right.)

Finally, if you are so dead set on having more DR and 4k video right now...I honestly don't know why your still here. There are other products out there that offer what you want. You clearly don't seem to like Canon. Even if you like their ergonomics, you put so much weight on all the things Canon doesn't have...go out there and get the functionality you want, and be done with it.

There isn't any point in all the doomsaying about Canon and the very few features they lack in their otherwise exceptionally feature-rich cameras. Canon will release that functionality when they release it. We really don't have any control over that. Not when the technology is as complex as it is...it takes too much time for new technology to be researched and developed for any customers to really have any say over what Canon does or does not include in the next camera. By the time we all start hollering for something, the next product is usually so far along in the pipeline that it's too late to change. I think it is actually smart for Canon to kind of stagger their key model releases...5D III, 1D X, 6D, then finally 7D. It spreads things out enough that by the time they start putting the finishing touches on their first 1D X II prototypes, they will be able to factor in some of their customers feedback.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 20, 2014, 03:23:29 AM »
I would even be willing to bet that Canon could add new 4k features and functionality to the 1D X and 5D III as well, if the time comes that consumers really demand it.

If I were a videographer right now, using either the 1DX or the 5D3 since their respective availability, and Canon releases firmware updates enabling 4K recording with these cameras, then ...
  • it would mean that the camera was capable of this functionality right from the start, but Canon chose to "cripple" the camera for some obscure and probably financial reason; and
  • I'd have serious doubts about ever using Canon products again.

But, hey, that's just silly old me!  ;)
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 20, 2014, 06:30:34 AM »
I would even be willing to bet that Canon could add new 4k features and functionality to the 1D X and 5D III as well, if the time comes that consumers really demand it.

If I were a videographer right now, using either the 1DX or the 5D3 since their respective availability, and Canon releases firmware updates enabling 4K recording with these cameras, then ...
  • it would mean that the camera was capable of this functionality right from the start, but Canon chose to "cripple" the camera for some obscure and probably financial reason; and

I have no doubts that a 1DX or a 7D2 would be capable of capturing 4K video with a firmware update, but unless there is faster storage, you will have slow frame rates and heavy compression.  Ask yourself, what is the good of having 4K video that it so heavily compressed that it looks like up sampled 2K video?

You need fast storage before you will get decent 4K video.
The best camera is the one in your hands

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 20, 2014, 07:18:36 AM »
If Canon do a 7D Mark II this year without 4k and the successor to that is some 3 or 4 years away then its life span as a modern and relevant tool in video production will be quite short.

Who's stating opinion as fact now?  You sound almost as confident as those who stated that having sensors with 2-stop lower DR would cause Canon's dSLR sales to plummet.

;) The barrier to entry for Canon folks to convert to Nikon is probably too high for them the consider shifting. Or maybe there are usability factors. But over time, if Canon continues to fail to deliver, it won't work in their favor. People don't have an infinite amount of patience.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 20, 2014, 07:24:46 AM »

Are you sure that is 4k BluRay playback? Or is it just high resolution online video playback (which is certainly a step in the right direction).

Bury your head in the sand all you want. This is Sony saying that their equipment will playback 4k movies and you're saying that Sony is wrong? Usually everyone sort of agrees with what the vendor says their equipment is capable of but of you want to say "No, Sony is telling a lie, it won't do that" then by all means, deny it all you want. The rest of the world has and is moving on. The 20th century is back there somewhere behind us, maybe you'll feel more comfortable there? I mean there is no point responding to anything else you say if you're going to deny what the manufacturer is saying about the capabilities of their own equipment. It would be like you saying "No, Canon's 5D Mark III doesn't do 22MP, it really only does 11MP." You lose.

If you want to be a luddite then by all means go and buy yourself a film camera and we'll get off your lawn. But the digital and IT space moves quickly and if you can't keep up (or don't want to keep up) then fine but don't insist that everyone else has to move as slowly as you do.

If you can't adapt to change then you're already prehistoric. This is the 21st century AD, not the 1st AD.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #306 on: February 20, 2014, 07:24:46 AM »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 20, 2014, 07:31:46 AM »

I have no doubts that a 1DX or a 7D2 would be capable of capturing 4K video with a firmware update, but unless there is faster storage, you will have slow frame rates and heavy compression.  Ask yourself, what is the good of having 4K video that it so heavily compressed that it looks like up sampled 2K video?

You need fast storage before you will get decent 4K video.

Absolutely. CFast and even more importantly, CFast 2.0, will deliver that. This is another critical piece of technology that I think has been holding Canon back from delivering higher MP irrespective of other factors. And given that CFast 1.0 is done and dusted and we're starting to see CFast 2.0, this problem should start to evaporate.

There has been something of a chicken and the egg problem with CFast (availability of cards vs things to put them in) but the D800 has really broken the ground on that one so the future should be much better for everyone. Now if the D800 had never of happened then we might be mired into an awful place where SD and related cards were the only way forward for quite some time for performance reasons. That would have been a big problem for the industry in general.

philmoz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: February 20, 2014, 07:35:56 AM »

Bury your head in the sand all you want. This is Sony saying that their equipment will playback 4k movies and you're saying that Sony is wrong? Usually everyone sort of agrees with what the vendor says their equipment is capable of but of you want to say "No, Sony is telling a lie, it won't do that" then by all means, deny it all you want. The rest of the world has and is moving on. The 20th century is back there somewhere behind us, maybe you'll feel more comfortable there? I mean there is no point responding to anything else you say if you're going to deny what the manufacturer is saying about the capabilities of their own equipment. It would be like you saying "No, Canon's 5D Mark III doesn't do 22MP, it really only does 11MP." You lose.

If you want to be a luddite then by all means go and buy yourself a film camera and we'll get off your lawn. But the digital and IT space moves quickly and if you can't keep up (or don't want to keep up) then fine but don't insist that everyone else has to move as slowly as you do.

If you can't adapt to change then you're already prehistoric. This is the 21st century AD, not the 1st AD.

You linked to an article written 9 months prior to the release of the PS4, in which Sony claimed the console would support 4K for photos and video.

The reality, when it finally shipped, is that 4k support is 'in consideration' by Sony, and the console currently does not have any 4K support.

Perhaps in future you should research your 'facts' before posting such an inflammatory and highly insulting message to someone who clearly knows far more than you do.

I'd suggest an apology from you would be in order.

Phil.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 20, 2014, 07:49:58 AM »

Canon's dSLR sales fell slightly last year, for the first time in several years.  Their explanation was a downturn in the global economy, but maybe the real reason, the one they don't want us to know about, was a loss of consumer confidence because they added f/8 AF to the 1D X and 5DIII, and clean HDMI out to the 5DIII, via firmware updates, when clearly those features could have been included at launch.  ::)

Actually, the decline probably started years before, when they added manual audio gain to the 5DII.  They duped us all into thinking they were adding features in response to customer need, providing free features to show compassion and understanding.  They tried it again with with the v2 firmware updates for the 7D and 1D X.  Good thing there are people like you who see these post-launch feature additions for the duplicitous gamesmanship they really are. 

Perhaps in future you should research your 'facts' before posting such an inflammatory and highly insulting message to someone who clearly knows far more than you do.

I'd suggest an apology from you would be in order.

Dilbert : facts :: oil : water.  He gets thrown together with them occasionally, but they're not miscible.

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 20, 2014, 08:09:12 AM »

You linked to an article written 9 months prior to the release of the PS4, in which Sony claimed the console would support 4K for photos and video.

The reality, when it finally shipped, is that 4k support is 'in consideration' by Sony, and the console currently does not have any 4K support.

So you're saying I should apologise for a vendor misleading the public on something? I think you're pointing your stick at the wrong person, buddy.

Even if that is the case, it would just mean that Sony missed the boat on 4k. Why? Because they've been talking up the capabilities of their equipment, meaning that is where they want to be, not stuck with 1080p.

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 20, 2014, 08:09:43 AM »

;) The barrier to entry for Canon folks to convert to Nikon is probably too high for them the consider shifting. Or maybe there are usability factors. But over time, if Canon continues to fail to deliver, it won't work in their favor. People don't have an infinite amount of patience.

It does seem you have an infinite amount of patience to crib about Canon on the internet. While I applaud the effort, I don't see what drives you to do this instead of simply buying equipment which meets your requirements.   
Light is language!

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 20, 2014, 08:11:59 AM »
Dilbert : facts :: oil : water.  He gets thrown together with them occasionally, but they're not miscible.

Hey, I quoted plenty of facts above in URLs.

Seems to me that the problem is that when it comes to facts from dilbert that you suddently develop reading problems. Not my problem :-P

There are those who are ready to embrace the future (4k) and those who are afraid of it and change.

Which camp are you in?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #312 on: February 20, 2014, 08:11:59 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 20, 2014, 08:13:28 AM »

So you're saying I should apologise for a vendor misleading the public on something? I think you're pointing your stick at the wrong person, buddy.

Correct, you shouldn't apologize for citing an outdated (and subsequently incorrect) article for being the basis of your claims ... and I also hear that Courts are accepting hearsay as evidence  ::) ::)
Light is language!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 20, 2014, 08:37:54 AM »
Hey, I quoted plenty of facts above in URLs.

Yes, but apparently you failed to verify the information (which I have done on rare occasions, but I have the decency to own up to my mistake and apologize for it), and that's assuming you even read the pages to which you linked.  There is a lot of misinformation on the Internet, and it's easy to find a URL to show pretty much anything you want. Heck, I could even post a URL linking to a page that suggests a DIGISUPER lens is actually a camera! That's pretty silly‚Ķ

There are those who are ready to embrace the future (4k) and those who are afraid of it and change.

Which camp are you in?

I'm in the camp that is not opposed to 4K video, but is sufficiently rational to understand the fact that it is not yet a mainstream technology.  That's probably the second largest camp (the largest camp being the '4K video? what the hell is that?' camp).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #314 on: February 20, 2014, 08:37:54 AM »