November 26, 2014, 02:09:49 PM

Author Topic: Canon MR-14EX II Macro Ring Lite Flash  (Read 4899 times)

Ruined

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Canon MR-14EX II Macro Ring Lite Flash
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 06:22:28 PM »
Any indication if this will fit on the 100L without an addt'l adapter?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 06:22:28 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 06:52:17 PM »
Any indication if this will fit on the 100L without an addt'l adapter?

It has the same attachment design as the original, so for the 100L you will need the Macrolite 67C adapter.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

David Hull

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 08:53:36 PM »
Note that this new flash is weaker - I guess they called it "MR14" because it looks the same and "MR10.5-EX" would have sounded lame.  The GN of the new flash is 10.5m/34 ft, vs the GN of the original that is 14m/46 ft.

Other than the LED modeling lights, a revised LCD display, and a shorter recycle time I really don't see any benefit of this flash over the original.  The shorter recycle time may simply be due to the fact that it's less powerful...

There's also confusion over whether this is RT or not.  The DPR blurb states, "Canon also announced the MR-14EX II Macro Ring Light, which can be controlled wirelessly using the radio-based 'RT' system."  Controlled wirelessly isn't the same as controlling wirelessly, and an RT slave-only capability for a flash that only mounts to the end of the lens seems really stupid.  No real information one way or the other, because the 'wireless' in the vendor product pages could refer to optical control.  Having the new MR14 be a master for the -RT system would be quite useful, but it's not clear if this is the case (I'm guessing no, simply because I'd assume if it was, Canon would have called it the MR14-EX-RT).
I was thinking exactly the same thing -- my guess is it is Optical or IR or whatever they have always been.

wayno

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 09:07:23 PM »
Whilst RT master capability for this should be built in, in reality I'm not sure whether it offers a huge advantage over optical master in the case of macro work. I would have thought...?

Logan

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 09:38:05 PM »
can the original be used as an optical trigger?

scottburgess

• EOS M2
  • Canonical Canon
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2014, 09:38:14 PM »
They drain overnight with the flash powered off?  That sounds like an electrical malfunction. I can leave eneloops in there for weeks/months and they have plenty of power left, same with my three 600EX-RTs.

Yes, they drain in about a day.  My 380EX doesn't exhibit this flaw.

Yeah, that's what I thought--a short somewhere in the circuitry.  I tend to suspect other MR-14's may have the same problem, but don't run into a lot of owners of the model.  If folks here have had the same experience, please chime in as I would like to know if this is common or if my unit is abnormal.

I wish CPS would let you use an annual service check on a flash or lens.

Of course, since your flash is the MR-24 the internals could be a little different despite apparent similarities.  And only green elves with polka-dots know precisely where each is assembled.   :D

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 09:42:56 PM »
can the original be used as an optical trigger?
Yes.
Never look down on anybody, unless you are helping them up.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2014, 09:42:56 PM »

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2014, 09:53:21 PM »
They drain overnight with the flash powered off?  That sounds like an electrical malfunction. I can leave eneloops in there for weeks/months and they have plenty of power left, same with my three 600EX-RTs.

Yes, they drain in about a day.  My 380EX doesn't exhibit this flaw.

Yeah, that's what I thought--a short somewhere in the circuitry.  I tend to suspect other MR-14's may have the same problem, but don't run into a lot of owners of the model.  If folks here have had the same experience, please chime in as I would like to know if this is common or if my unit is abnormal.

I wish CPS would let you use an annual service check on a flash or lens.

Of course, since your flash is the MR-24 the internals could be a little different despite apparent similarities.  And only green elves with polka-dots know precisely where each is assembled.   :D

I own one but have no trouble with batteries. I can leave them in for weeks without using and they work just fine. If they drain in a day with the power off it looks like an electrical problem to me. Do the flash or the batteries feel warm? The power needs to go somewhere.

scottburgess

• EOS M2
  • Canonical Canon
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2014, 10:08:19 PM »
I own one but have no trouble with batteries. I can leave them in for weeks without using and they work just fine. If they drain in a day with the power off it looks like an electrical problem to me. Do the flash or the batteries feel warm? The power needs to go somewhere.

Nope, no light output either.  The first time it happened, I thought I had used the batteries up.  The second time it was obvious--brand new batteries, used for about two flashes, which went completely dead.

Of course, by the time I got the flash out again, any heat output may have dissipated.  It has been a long time since I have tried leaving batteries in the unit.

Thanks for the feedback, though--it suggests I have a bad one.  Dunno if I will bother having it serviced, though, since in other respects it runs fine.  Besides, I don't believe in keeping batteries in the flashes--always a chance of one of them leaking.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2014, 10:16:35 PM »
Whilst RT master capability for this should be built in, in reality I'm not sure whether it offers a huge advantage over optical master in the case of macro work. I would have thought...?

Rarely, but it happens.  Shooting water drops with a slave flash behind foam core, I've had to use mirrors to get the slave to fire as not enough light from the twin flash bounced in the right direction.

Moreover, there's the future.  I wouldn't expect macro flash updates all that frequently, but smaller flashes get updated more often.  As the RT system gains prevalence, Canon may release small slave-only units (270/430) with only radio and no optical triggering mode. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Jim Saunders

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2014, 10:45:16 PM »
If Yongnuo comes up with a similar one which speaks Canon RT then I'd get one.  Otherwise no; I have no wish to screw around with optical triggering.

Jim
See what I see: 6500K, 160 cd/m^2, ICC 2, gamma 2.2.

mustafaakarsu

• Power Shot G7X
  • 5D III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 09:15:23 AM »
B&H says it's in stock now.
If I order it from them, including customs it'll be even cheaper than getting one in England.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 09:15:23 AM »