I own one but have no trouble with batteries. I can leave them in for weeks without using and they work just fine. If they drain in a day with the power off it looks like an electrical problem to me. Do the flash or the batteries feel warm? The power needs to go somewhere.
Nope, no light output either. The first time it happened, I thought I had used the batteries up. The second time it was obvious--brand new batteries, used for about two flashes, which went completely dead.
Of course, by the time I got the flash out again, any heat output may have dissipated. It has been a long time since I have tried leaving batteries in the unit.
Thanks for the feedback, though--it suggests I have a bad one. Dunno if I will bother having it serviced, though, since in other respects it runs fine. Besides, I don't believe in keeping batteries in the flashes--always a chance of one of them leaking.