October 21, 2014, 01:46:33 AM

Author Topic: Advice and info on buying and using a CPL (Circular Polarizer)  (Read 1851 times)

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Advice and info on buying and using a CPL (Circular Polarizer)
« on: February 13, 2014, 11:55:02 AM »
Hello all,

I was reading through another thread and saw mention of CPL. I googled it and found it is about circular polarizer filters (Should it be CPF?)  :)

Anyway, I read a bit and it seems you can use these to cut out the glare and shoot into water and see fish, and also that it could help with shooting skies to get a richer color, etc?

Can someone give me more insight as to what these are good for? Used for? Techniques for using it?

What lenses does it work best for? Wide? Tele? What situations are best for this?

After that...what are the good quality ones to get brand wise? Can you get one size and use stepper rings to use on different lenses, or is it best to get a couple of different ones to fit directly on your lenses?

Please feel free to post anecdotes, personal thoughts and uses, sample pics....and links to sites that really have good info on using these.

Thank you in advance,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

Advice and info on buying and using a CPL (Circular Polarizer)
« on: February 13, 2014, 11:55:02 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Advice and info on buying and using a CPL (Circular Polarizer)
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 12:04:05 PM »
A CPL is great for making skies richer (bluer), cutting reflections, and increasing saturation.  It's one of the few filters that cannot be simulated with post processing.

With wide angle lenses, you get uneven polarization starting at about 24mm (on FF) - that means banding if you have a wide blue sky.

I have B+W Käsemann CPLs and they're great and very useful.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Logan

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 12:37:02 PM »
i have a hoya cpl and it seems like it really catches the sun and flares/washed out the photo if the sun is hitting the filter directly. not sure if its normal or this specific filter.

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 01:44:29 PM »
C-PL filters are amazing, especially since they also can be used as a ND filter (figure a stop right?).  Polarized sun glasses give a good idea as to what it does to colors and light.  When you're ready to go down the rabbits hole, the Cokin/Lee square filters will really be fun.

Don't purchase the cheapest one out there, a good filter will start at $60 and go up.  I just spent $200 on a used 95mm CPL filter, the B+W or high end Hoya's are great.  I think I have a number of the promaster 77mm filters that work fine.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

alben

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 02:00:36 PM »
I have a Cokin P series CPL filter along with ND grads for skies, CPL filters are best used at 90 degrees to the sun, (do not have the sun in front  or behind you) or they give little to no effect. Cokins are OK but eventually I intend to switch to Lee filters.

Alan.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 02:16:44 PM »
+1 on the B+W, but the Hoya HD CIR-PL (I own both) is nearly as good if money is an issue.  Just don't make the mistake of buying a cheap one or you'll be disappointed and end up buying a more expensive one later.

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »
A CPL is great for making skies richer (bluer), cutting reflections, and increasing saturation.  It's one of the few filters that cannot be simulated with post processing.

With wide angle lenses, you get uneven polarization starting at about 24mm (on FF) - that means banding if you have a wide blue sky.

+ 100 for me too, my dear Teacher Mr. neuroanatomist.
Past 30-40 years, I have try  PL filter and Cir. Pl filter from the Cheapo to best of the best, And At last, I fell in love with B+W Cir. PL Filter.
Surapon

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 02:32:00 PM »

mwh1964

• EOS M2
  • 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 02:41:42 PM »
A CPL is a must have. I recommend BW KSM and the best Hoya's. The build quality on the. BW is second to none and made in copper.
5D3 | 16-35L IS | 24-70L II | 24-105L | 70-200L II | 70-300L | 15 fisheye | 35 IS | 40 STM | 50 f1.4 | 100L | B&W Kaesemann | 2 x 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | MR14-EX | EOS M + 22 STM + 90 EX | Manfrotto | Billingham | Lowepro | Think Tank

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 02:56:21 PM »
What's the difference between these?

http://www.amazon.com/Kaesemann-Circular-Polarizer-Multi-Resistant-Coating/dp/B004861IX0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392321228&sr=8-1&keywords=B%26W+cpl+ksm

and

http://www.amazon.com/Kaesemann-Circular-Polarizer-Multi-Resistant-Coating/dp/B0000BZLAC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392321228&sr=8-3&keywords=B%26W+cpl+ksm

Are these the ones ya'll are talking about?

Also, I'm getting from these posts, that this filter is pretty much only for outdoor use, is that correct? Are there any other applications for indoor shooting with strobes or flashes that these would be useful for?

Thanks for all the advice and info!!

Now, I have something *else* to put on the list of things to buy, the ever growing list.

cayenne
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:58:00 PM by cayenne »

Logan

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 02:59:34 PM »
xs=extra slim usually no front threads i think

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 03:01:33 PM »
What's the difference between these?

http://www.amazon.com/Kaesemann-Circular-Polarizer-Multi-Resistant-Coating/dp/B004861IX0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1392321228&sr=8-1&keywords=B%26W+cpl+ksm

and

http://www.amazon.com/Kaesemann-Circular-Polarizer-Multi-Resistant-Coating/dp/B0000BZLAC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392321228&sr=8-3&keywords=B%26W+cpl+ksm

Are these the ones ya'll are talking about?

Also, I'm getting from these posts, that this filter is pretty much only for outdoor use, is that correct? Are there any other applications for indoor shooting with strobes or flashes that these would be useful for?

Thanks for all the advice and info!!

Now, I have something *else* to put on the list of things to buy, the ever growing list.

cayenne
The "nano" coating, which makes the filter easier to clean and beads up rain drops, but I think that's the only difference.  Also, you can use CIR-PLs in the studio to reduce glare when shooting shiny or reflective objects (there's another post on this right now).

Vivid Color

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 03:38:29 PM »
B+W's coatings are amazing. When I was in Africa, I'd have dust on the camera, but it seemed to just slide off the B+W filters.

Slyham

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 04:55:39 PM »

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 04:09:22 PM »
Hi,

I'm in Australia and a local shop near me keeps recommending Promaster HGX over Hoya HD filters?
I've read online they could even be from the same parent company. Has anyone hears this?

Thanks

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 04:14:21 PM »
I'm in Australia and a local shop near me keeps recommending Promaster HGX over Hoya HD filters?
I've read online they could even be from the same parent company. Has anyone hears this?

Promaster doesn't make anything, they buy from multiple OEMs and package stuff with their label.  They sell cheap so brick-and-mortar shops can mark up substantially and make a big profit, so retailers just love to sell them to you.

I'd pass...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 04:14:21 PM »