September 16, 2014, 01:52:21 PM

Author Topic: What's Next from Canon?  (Read 28915 times)

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
Re: What's Next from Canon?
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2014, 05:15:46 AM »
I would dispute that most people shoot at base ISO.

Agree with you completely.  Ever since I got the 6D I leave it on Auto ISO 90+% of the time.  If I fiddle with anything ISO related, it's the minimum shutter speed and max auto ISO parameters, which I have on the quick menu.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2014, 05:15:46 AM »

Lightmaster

« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2014, 05:51:53 AM »
well when you know what your doing you try to keep your ISO as low as possible.

sure most consumers and soccer moms will not keep such a close eye on the ISO setting.

in my small home studio i always shoot at ISO 100.
i have plenty of light so why should i go higher.

when doing nature and wildlife i try too keep the ISO as low as possible.
i never use auto ISO.

only time when i use auto ISO is is when i do city traveling.
then light changes often so fast, inside outside, shadows of buildings etc. that auto ISO is a help.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2014, 06:12:52 AM »
Can people on these forums kindly make up their minds on what kit I should buy, because I'm getting sick of the constant opinion changes.

First I lost thousands switching from Canon to Nikon, just to find that Sony is the new "must have". At least I can get further use of my Nikkors until Sony actually manages to release more than a handful of FE lenses.

Lest you think that things have been easier with my mirrorless system, I was quite happy with my Panasonic until Sony NEX came out and everyone said the APS-C sensor stuffed micro-4/3rds. I'd nearly assembled a full kit of E-mount lenses, when Sony suddenly stopped making them and everyone told me that I should buy Olympus! Then Fuji released their X-mount cameras, which was really tempting until the A7R came along and everyone said that anything less than full frame was useless.

I'm now divorced and totally broke, I can't afford a holiday or put fuel in the car. Consequently, my current photographic exploits consist of taking pictures of the outside of my house on a sunny day, then pulling the shadows indoors to show how much dynamic range my camera has. When I get bored of that, I shoot some test charts and wander down to my local cafe to take pictures of the froth on other peoples lattes.   

;D  ;D  ;D

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2014, 06:15:52 AM »
Can people on these forums kindly make up their minds on what kit I should buy, because I'm getting sick of the constant opinion changes.

First I lost thousands switching from Canon to Nikon, just to find that Sony is the new "must have". At least I can get further use of my Nikkors until Sony actually manages to release more than a handful of FE lenses.

Lest you think that things have been easier with my mirrorless system, I was quite happy with my Panasonic until Sony NEX came out and everyone said the APS-C sensor stuffed micro-4/3rds. I'd nearly assembled a full kit of E-mount lenses, when Sony suddenly stopped making them and everyone told me that I should buy Olympus! Then Fuji released their X-mount cameras, which was really tempting until the A7R came along and everyone said that anything less than full frame was useless.

I'm now divorced and totally broke, I can't afford a holiday or put fuel in the car. Consequently, my current photographic exploits consist of taking pictures of the outside of my house on a sunny day, then pulling the shadows indoors to show how much dynamic range my camera has. When I get bored of that, I shoot some test charts and wander down to my local cafe to take pictures of the froth on other peoples lattes.   

;D  ;D  ;D

Gee, if you could shoot some cats and brick walls, you'd be my favorite photographer!
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2014, 06:17:08 AM »
The G1 X with an EVF for $1000 seems to be irking a lot of people. For that price, the camera needs to be the absolute best in the segment, and I think that’s going to be a hard thing to achieve.
 I highly doubt a lot of G1 X II cameras are going to sell at the introduction price of $799. When the camera is $499, things will probably be different.
+1

To a lot of people, the resources put into the G1 X II would have probably been better served by moving the EOS M into the mainstream.
Absolutely!

We’re told between March and August that Canon will start to announce products that make sense and will be popular. The EOS 7D Mark II will finally be unveiled and should be in your eager hands by the fall of 2014. It will set a new benchmark in the APS-C segment.
A lot of new lenses are coming, the biggest being a replacement of the EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS. We’re told that could be announced as early as March, but availability will not be immediate.
Yippee!
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

Azathoth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2014, 06:29:21 AM »

;D  ;D  ;D

Well at least you take more pictures than most of the people here. :D

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2014, 06:37:05 AM »

My sentiments exactly. I've been on the fence for a while now regarding micro-4/3, as I am not too keen on losing the use of my 400mm lens. But ... Olympus has just announced that they will be bringing a 300mm lens to market in early 2015. This means that micro-4/3 will then satisfy all my lens needs.

Personally I'm getting tired of basing my future with Canon on rumours. What Canon needs to do right now is publish a roadmap ... for EF-S lenses and their mirrorless plans.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2014, 06:37:05 AM »

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2014, 07:49:42 AM »

;D  ;D  ;D

I am not totally convinced that peoples advice will be listened to, as you mention that you switch systems on what seems to be a whim. All of the systems seems to have worked for you, until something new has appeared on the horizon... Does that make your current or old gear suddenly bad?

Photographic equipment is expensive for all of us, but I have to say that if your monetary situation is as bad as you mention... Now might not be the ideal time to invest? Unless you live of photograpy, and in that case you have sold the means to make a living..

Just my 2 cents...
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

Marauder

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 14, 2014, 08:11:21 AM »
<div name=\"googleone_share_1\" style=\"position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;\"><g:plusone size=\"tall\" count=\"1\" href=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/02/whats-next-from-canon/\"></g:plusone></div><div style=\"float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;\"><a href=\"https://twitter.com/share\" class=\"twitter-share-button\" data-count=\"vertical\" data-url=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/02/whats-next-from-canon/\">Tweet</a></div>
<p>The latest announcements from Canon aren’t exactly receiving a lot of positive feedback in my inbox. The G1 X with an EVF for $1000 seems to be irking a lot of people. For that price, the camera needs to be the absolute best in the segment, and I think that’s going to be a hard thing to achieve.</p>
<p>To a lot of people, the resources put into the G1 X II would have probably been better served by moving the EOS M into the mainstream. The M2 isn’t coming to North America, and I highly doubt a lot of G1 X II cameras are going to sell at the introduction price of $799. When the camera is $499, things will probably be different.</p>
<p>We’re told between March and August that Canon will start to announce products that make sense and will be popular.</p>
<p>The EOS 7D Mark II will finally be unveiled and should be in your eager hands by the fall of 2014. It will set a new benchmark in the APS-C segment.</p>
<p>A lot of new lenses are coming, the biggest being a replacement of the EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS. We’re told that could be announced as early as March, but availability will not be immediate.</p>
<p>A third DSLR will be announced in 2014, though we’re not sure what that will be.</p>
<p>The Cinema EOS line will see a new camera or two for NAB in April, we’re told a lower cost 4K camera will be the star of the show.</p>
<p>There will also be another few PowerShot cameras announced sometime between now and May. Included in that will be the replacement to the SX50 IS.</p>
<p>Things haven’t been too exciting for Canon since the introduction of the very good EOS 6D, but even that started with a whimper. We’re told to expect a lot of exciting products throughout 2014 and that the Canon customer will be happy with the direction of the company.</p>
<p>More to come….</p>
<p><strong><span style=\"color: #ff0000;\">c</span>r</strong></p>

What about the 70D? It outperforms the 60D massively and even outperforms the 7D in most respects!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 08:13:23 AM by Marauder »
Canon 7D, Canon T3i, Canon 100-400L, Canon 200 f2.8L & Various other lenses

scyrene

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2014, 08:18:35 AM »

sure most consumers and soccer moms will not keep such a close eye on the ISO setting.

i never use auto ISO.

only time when i use auto ISO is is when i do city traveling.
then light changes often so fast, inside outside, shadows of buildings etc. that auto ISO is a help.

I have to disagree with this to an extent. I don't use auto ISO incidentally, as I find it too unpredictable, and I like control over all the settings. But I have gradually learned that shooting at higher ISOs is often better for some subjects. I shoot a lot of birds, and it's much better to get a slightly overexposed shot with no motion blur, that can be darkened in postprocessing, than either have a dark image that you have to brighten, or one where you've used too long an exposure (which with birds and long lenses is anything under 1/250 in my experience). I used to try and keep the ISO as low as possible, but exposing to the right is often better (and this involves higher ISO because there's often nothing you can do about aperture or exposure time in this situation).

Incidentally, I rarely shoot at base ISO. Even in good light, my bird shots require 800, and given the low light I usually contend with, 3200 is probably commonest.

And as a general point (returning to the original theme of the thread), I feel like there are three broad camps of people who complain on this forum. People who have the 7D and want a newer version; people who like mirrorless and want a robust option from Canon; and people who would moan whatever - who dislike Canon, who have unrealistic expectations, and don't understand the reality of business or technology - and the compromises they entail.

I got a 5DIII, so I'm still happy with them. I understand the 7D crowd's impatience, but as for the rest... nobody is forcing you to choose Canon. If you like other companies' offerings, and aren't tied to a bunch of lenses, go with them. Not every company has to do everything all the time.

Innocent that I am, I think I didn't expect a Canon forum to be so full of relentlessly anti-Canon sentiment.
5D mark III, 50D, 300D, EOS-M; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, 24-105L, MP-E, 85L II, 100L macro, 500L IS II, EF-M 18-55; 1.4xIII, 2x III + 2xII extenders; 600EX-RT; EF-M--EF adaptor.
Former lenses include: 70-200L f/4 non-IS, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2014, 08:25:01 AM »
Innocent that I am, I think I didn't expect a Canon forum to be so full of relentlessly anti-Canon sentiment.

Actually, some of us really like Canon, but feel that due to them being too conservative we are being "left behind" as other manufacturers bring innovative products to market.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

scyrene

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2014, 08:34:00 AM »

Actually, some of us really like Canon, but feel that due to them being too conservative we are being "left behind" as other manufacturers bring innovative products to market.

I understand that, but I think it is largely mistaken - you can buy those other companies' products if they suit better. As I say, *unless* you're tied to a load of legacy lenses, flash guns, etc., there's nothing to tie you to one brand over another. And even if you are, you can use them on some other bodies, or sell them with not too big a loss.
5D mark III, 50D, 300D, EOS-M; Samyang 14mm f/2.8, 24-105L, MP-E, 85L II, 100L macro, 500L IS II, EF-M 18-55; 1.4xIII, 2x III + 2xII extenders; 600EX-RT; EF-M--EF adaptor.

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2014, 08:53:26 AM »
I understand that, but I think it is largely mistaken - you can buy those other companies' products if they suit better. As I say, *unless* you're tied to a load of legacy lenses, flash guns, etc., there's nothing to tie you to one brand over another. And even if you are, you can use them on some other bodies, or sell them with not too big a loss.

True that theoretically "we" can just buy the other offerings or even "switch" completely. But ... in some ways Canon is the only game in town, either due to product availability or due to them making a specific product that the other manufacturers don't offer. For example, with micro-4/3 ... native telephoto lenses is non-existent (although Olympus has suggested a 300mm f/4 by 2015), so in this department Canon is the only option. Or ... apparently Canon has an excellent flash system (I wouldn't know, because I don't use flashes), which is unequaled by anybody else; so, if you're into flash photography, Canon has the best goods.

But in general, yeah, you're right. I've already decided on (possibly) going with Fujifilm for my sub-100mm work; and as soon as they offer an equivalent for my 70-200mm, then that goes over to Fujifilm as well; and as soon as Fujifilm offers a 300~500mm lens, it's bye-bye Canon.

But I'd really prefer not having to "rebuy" three lenses I already own and like very much, just because Canon doesn't offer what I want in a camera right now. That's my beef.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2014, 08:53:26 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2014, 08:57:06 AM »
So, yeah. I STRONGLY dispute the notion that "most" photographers use base ISO. Far more things in the world involve action of some kind, in which case you are either full manual and explicitly choosing a higher ISO, or your using a priority mode and choosing your shutter speed in one way or another (leaving ISO on auto, in which case it will most certainly float above ISO 100 and 200 the majority of the time.)

Completely agree.  But "most" DRones apparently use only base ISO, which might explain their rabid criticism of Canon's sensors. 

Yes, "as low as possible."  So, if you're shooting in a studio, or walking around on a bright, sunny day shooting things that move relatively slowly, that's fine.  Many of us shoot in less than ideal lighting conditions, and shoot things that move fast in those conditions.

Personally, less than 20% of my shots are at ISO 100…I shoot far more shots at higher than ISO 800 than I do at ISO 100, and for those shots, Canon's sensor-based IQ is superior. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

scyrene

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2014, 09:01:33 AM »

True that theoretically "we" can just buy the other offerings or even "switch" completely. But ... in some ways Canon is the only game in town, either due to product availability or due to them making a specific product that the other manufacturers don't offer. For example, with micro-4/3 ... native telephoto lenses is non-existent (although Olympus has suggested a 300mm f/4 by 2015), so in this department Canon is the only option. Or ... apparently Canon has an excellent flash system (I wouldn't know, because I don't use flashes), which is unequaled by anybody else; so, if you're into flash photography, Canon has the best goods.

But in general, yeah, you're right. I've already decided on (possibly) going with Fujifilm for my sub-100mm work; and as soon as they offer an equivalent for my 70-200mm, then that goes over to Fujifilm as well; and as soon as Fujifilm offers a 300~500mm lens, it's bye-bye Canon.

But I'd really prefer not having to "rebuy" three lenses I already own and like very much, just because Canon doesn't offer what I want in a camera right now. That's my beef.

That's fair enough :) I think I'm less partisan partly because I got into Canon by accident. The first secondhand DSLR I bought was Canon, so I got lenses, and so always stuck with them when I upgraded. Plus, I'm quite happy with my setup at present.

That's not to say I wouldn't love them to release a 50MP camera going up to ISO 400000 though! Not that I could afford it...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: February 14, 2014, 09:01:33 AM »