September 30, 2014, 04:39:36 PM

Author Topic: What's Next from Canon?  (Read 29601 times)

funkboy

• 7D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
Re: What's Next from Canon?
« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2014, 09:39:19 AM »
well when you know what your doing you try to keep your ISO as low as possible.

I do try to keep ISO as low as possible.  I shoot aperture priority on my 6D (unless I'm using a speedlite) and set the auto ISO to stay low until correct exposure needs a shutter speed about 1/2 stop faster than the focal length of whatever lens I'm using at the time (yet another good reason to use prime lenses :-).  I just have to set the aperture to whatever is appropriate for the scene & the auto ISO & auto shutter speed does the rest.

This setup works marvelously, & I wish my older cameras had it as ISO really is a "3rd priority" in addition to aperture & shutter speed.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: February 14, 2014, 09:39:19 AM »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 14, 2014, 10:20:55 AM »
In fact, the next from Canon should be T6i in the coming months. If 7D mark ii (or 8D) is not announced until Photokina this year, it will never exist.

mrzero

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2014, 11:12:37 AM »
The latest announcements from Canon aren’t exactly receiving a lot of positive feedback in my inbox. The G1 X with an EVF for $1000 seems to be irking a lot of people. For that price, the camera needs to be the absolute best in the segment, and I think that’s going to be a hard thing to achieve.

To a lot of people, the resources put into the G1 X II would have probably been better served by moving the EOS M into the mainstream. The M2 isn’t coming to North America, and I highly doubt a lot of G1 X II cameras are going to sell at the introduction price of $799. When the camera is $499, things will probably be different.

I don't know why you say this.  The EOS M might have sold well in Asia from the beginning, but nobody in North America was that interested until it dropped to $300.  It sold so poorly that Canon didn't even bother introducing the M2 or the 11-22 lens here.  What exactly would "move it into the mainstream" -- other than bargain prices? 

The G1X mark I followed the same path as every other product introduced by Canon since the introduction of MAP.  It started out at a high price and moved lower over time.  The G1X II is going to do the same thing.  It is starting out at $799 and it will move cheaper.  I don't think it will ever hit $499, except on the super sales and right before the G1X III is announced.  The mark I was a very good camera.  It still is.  The Mark II looks like it will be a great camera. 

Comparing these two lines is apples and oranges.  I have the G1X because I want to grab an all-in-one, fixed lens, one-hand-operable camera with a big sensor and a decent lens, and a swivel screen.  I don't want to buy into a second "system," or buy a camera that I can only use with my EF system lenses via an adapter.  The nice thing about point-and-shoots is you don't have to buy into a system.  Like Sony's offering better?  just buy it and move on.  If too many people do that, Canon will shift into a higher gear.  If not, they won't.

Could Canon introduce the new/best stuff faster?  Sure.  Cheaper?  Sure.  But as long as we keep buying it, then they're going to keep up the same pace, internet complaining aside.

Oh, and I love the external EVF.  It means I don't have to buy it.  I'm glad the price of the G1XII doesn't include it, because I never wanted it to begin with.  Optional.  Don't like it?  Great, save your money, and move on. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 11:14:10 AM by mrzero »
Canon 6d, t1i, 24-70/4L, 20/2.8, 28/1.8, 40/2.8, 50/1.8II, 100/2.8 macro, 70-300/4-5.6, g1x, 430exII, 90ex
Elan 7N with 28-105/3.5-4.5II, Rebel G with 35-70/3.5-4.5, A-1 with 28/2.8, 50/1.8, and 135/3.5

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2014, 11:34:12 AM »
...sensor quality plays a very BIG role too. Canon has not been doing well in this last department for the past few years. Sigh...

I just don't understand comments like that. While Canon may be a bit slow on updating its APS-C sensors, I don't know how anyone can really criticize the 1D, 5D or 6D sensors. Canon customers ripped Canon for emphasizing megapixels over ISO performance, so Canon got conservative on the megapixels and produced sensors that outshine the competition in ISO performance.
Slightly, and only on higher ISO levels.

When it comes to base ISO (where most people shoot most of their photos), SoNikon completely destroys Canon's ancient sensors in terms of pure IQ and dynamic range. Canon hasn't even gotten rid of the dreadful shadow banding yet. Wtf? :P

Canon is only interesting for lenses now days. My EF-glass lives a happy life on my A7R. A tiny mirrorless camera that blows the 5D and 1DX out of the water. The difference in IQ is so big that I'll most likely never use my 5D3 again.

I would dispute that most people shoot at base ISO. I'd be willing to bet there are a hell of a lot more people who photograph some kind of action or shooting in low light, than there are people who photograph more still scenes. Even wedding photographers shoot at higher ISO settings, many of them even shoot at very high ISOs on purpose for that grain-like aesthetic in black and white. You have all the olympics shooters, sports shooters, street photographers, wildlife and bird photographers, concert and event shooters, air show and race shooters, the paparazzi, photo journalism is at high ISO as much as lower ISO, etc.

People who shoot at lower ISO? Landscape photographers, maybe macro photographers (although if your going for extreme macro with an MP-E 65 or extension tubes, your at least at ISO 400 if not 800 or more), studio photographers (however when it comes to studio photography, you have total control over light, shadow, and scene DR, so having more stops of DR isn't a necessity...it's simply a nicety.)

Oh, and, you have amateur photographers! :P However, amateurs shoot at low ISO all the time out of ignorance, not because they need to. Once an amateur becomes something else, the chances they will use higher ISOs more than lower ISOs greatly increases.

So, yeah. I STRONGLY dispute the notion that "most" photographers use base ISO. Far more things in the world involve action of some kind, in which case you are either full manual and explicitly choosing a higher ISO, or your using a priority mode and choosing your shutter speed in one way or another (leaving ISO on auto, in which case it will most certainly float above ISO 100 and 200 the majority of the time.)

thank you, was about to type out a long reply to this saying mostly the same stuff. 
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2014, 11:41:30 AM »
"Things haven’t been too exciting for Canon since the introduction of the very good EOS 6D".
Are you kidding me? I was really disappointed with the introduction of that camera as it has only one usable AF point (way behind the competition)

This is fairly false.  In most lighting situations all points on the 6d are usable.  Of course, the center is the most accurate.  But, all points are usable to a certain light level.  And the extra sensitivity of that center point can AF in situations the 5d3 can't.  As others have said to me when I rant against the new sony FF mirrorless...have you ever used a 6d? 

Also, what are we to expect?  Canon isn't nikon, they aren't going to put out a rushed to market throwback body just to have something new on the market - we are in between product cycles (at least for FF offerings).  Other than a big MP body (if that big MP body is it's own entity, not a product upgrade), we're excited to see new lenses that will rock on the next cycle of bodies (5d4, 1dx2, 6d2). 
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2014, 11:54:47 AM »
well when you know what your doing you try to keep your ISO as low as possible.

sure most consumers and soccer moms will not keep such a close eye on the ISO setting.

in my small home studio i always shoot at ISO 100.
i have plenty of light so why should i go higher.

when doing nature and wildlife i try too keep the ISO as low as possible.
i never use auto ISO.

only time when i use auto ISO is is when i do city traveling.
then light changes often so fast, inside outside, shadows of buildings etc. that auto ISO is a help.

Most shooters don't have studios - whether its in the home or not.  Most shooters are shooting where they are shooting, if that happens to be when the sun is down, then your using a higher ISO. 

As a wedding shooter, the day starts early.  Sometimes it's in a salon where yeah, there's big windows and generally lots of light, so ISO's are under 1000.  Then where do you go, either a hotel room or home, which will have a variety of light.  do you have the time to set up lighting?  Sometimes yes, sometimes no, you just have to work with what you got.

what's next?  Off to the church.  some churches are filled with light and yeah you can shoot in the 1600 range.  But, if it's not a sunny day, then all that glorious light from the windows is lessened.  Then you have the darker churches, or the ones with a big skylight but not many other windows.  For ceremonies, ISO can vary wildly!!!!

Oh, then it's time for those fun family shots which most want done inside the church.  Shooting groups you can't exactly be using f2.8, your bumping that aperture up to at leastr 5.6, more preferably f8. 

then it's the fun stuff, and yeah for most of the bride and groom shots your using closer to base ISO.  But for the bridal party, you may want f8 or higher so even in daylight you may be as high as ISO 1600.

then it's to the reception, and yeah, lighting can vary wildly there too.  high ISO and off camera light, or just high iso depending on the scene your shooting is the name of the game. 

To say most shoot at base ISO is just really a narrow view of what, when and where people are shooting....

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2014, 12:02:37 PM »
To say most shoot at base ISO is just really a narrow view of what, when and where people are shooting....

What: a black awning on a random building or a black barbecue with a QPcard on it
When:  midday, in full sun
Where: somewhere in Sweden

A narrow view, indeed.   ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2014, 12:02:37 PM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2014, 12:07:34 PM »

What: a black awning on a random building or a black barbecue with a QPcard on it
When:  midday, in full sun
Where: somewhere in Sweden

A narrow view, indeed.   ;)
Now neuro I admit that you come up with new ideas to make us laugh...  ;D

eirehotspur

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: My favourite line of this post
« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2014, 12:31:45 PM »
The Cinema EOS line will see a new camera or two for NAB in April, we’re told a lower cost 4K camera will be the star of the show.

:D

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »
I'm not sure what happened to the "Year of the Lens" but it's off to a slow start.  The macro flash announcement seemed out of context, but as I keep saying, it's a Photokina year, so I think the goodies are all coming in September.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2014, 02:17:51 PM »
I'm not sure what happened to the "Year of the Lens" but it's off to a slow start.  The macro flash announcement seemed out of context, but as I keep saying, it's a Photokina year, so I think the goodies are all coming in September.
So their releases will come next year  ;D But there is a CR3 that some year will be exiting, we just don't know which yet...

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2014, 02:34:40 PM »
So their releases will come next year  ;D But there is a CR3 that some year will be exiting, we just don't know which yet...
Are you suggesting that  Canon would announce a lens months (or years) before it's available?  No, never happened. Ever. Really. I promise.  Whatever they announce in September will surely be available the very next day, worldwide. Really.  I'm not kidding.

MichaelHodges

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2014, 02:54:32 PM »
I still have faith in these guys.  I'd love to see a new 100-400, IS on the 400 5.6, and a 14-24.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2014, 02:54:32 PM »

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2014, 03:01:20 PM »
I'm all giddy for the T6 in November!

seriously tho:

16-35 Mk2
100-400 Mk2
400  5.6 IS
50 IS
85 IS
135 IS
180 Macro Mk2
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2014, 03:56:20 PM »
Are you suggesting that  Canon would announce a lens months (or years) before it's available?  No, never happened. Ever. Really. I promise.  Whatever they announce in September will surely be available the very next day, worldwide. Really.  I'm not kidding.
No, I suggest that if they announce something in Sept of year X it will be available year X+1.
So if X = 2014 then X+1 = 2015 => 2014 not exhiting  ;D

In addition I name it X because we cannot be certain. X may be 2015, or 2016, or ...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2014, 03:56:20 PM »