December 21, 2014, 02:01:17 PM

Author Topic: What's Next from Canon?  (Read 34604 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
What's Next from Canon?
« on: February 13, 2014, 07:45:45 PM »

The latest announcements from Canon aren’t exactly receiving a lot of positive feedback in my inbox. The G1 X with an EVF for $1000 seems to be irking a lot of people. For that price, the camera needs to be the absolute best in the segment, and I think that’s going to be a hard thing to achieve.

To a lot of people, the resources put into the G1 X II would have probably been better served by moving the EOS M into the mainstream. The M2 isn’t coming to North America, and I highly doubt a lot of G1 X II cameras are going to sell at the introduction price of $799. When the camera is $499, things will probably be different.

We’re told between March and August that Canon will start to announce products that make sense and will be popular.

The EOS 7D Mark II will finally be unveiled and should be in your eager hands by the fall of 2014. It will set a new benchmark in the APS-C segment.

A lot of new lenses are coming, the biggest being a replacement of the EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS. We’re told that could be announced as early as March, but availability will not be immediate.

A third DSLR will be announced in 2014, though we’re not sure what that will be.

The Cinema EOS line will see a new camera or two for NAB in April, we’re told a lower cost 4K camera will be the star of the show.

There will also be another few PowerShot cameras announced sometime between now and May. Included in that will be the replacement to the SX50 IS.

Things haven’t been too exciting for Canon since the introduction of the very good EOS 6D, but even that started with a whimper. We’re told to expect a lot of exciting products throughout 2014 and that the Canon customer will be happy with the direction of the company.

More to come….

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

What's Next from Canon?
« on: February 13, 2014, 07:45:45 PM »

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: What's Next from Canon?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 08:15:07 PM »
...Canon will start to announce products that make sense...

Now that really would be news...  ::)

RichM

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • NH Sports Photography
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 08:27:53 PM »
I purchased my 7d as soon as I could get my hands on it in '09.  I had to send it in for its first repair.  I'm hoping that the 7d2 comes out sooner rather than later!!  While I dream of a 1dx, the 7d2 is more likely to be in my price ranger ;-)
5d3, 7d2 gripped, 7d,  17-40f4L, 24-105f4L, 50f1.4, 70-200f2.8LII IS, 300f4L, 430EX2

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 08:28:39 PM »
10fps + 41 cross AF points = 7D II
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

MichaelHodges

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 08:33:29 PM »
We’re told between March and August that Canon will start to announce products that make sense

Well-played. I got a chuckle, anyway.

funkboy

• Canon 6D
  • 6D & a bunch of crazy primes
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 08:41:43 PM »
Personally I think the G1X II is awesome (the name is pretty rough though).  According to the DPreview preview, this camera has the most luminous lens/sensor setup of any large sensor compact (.7 EV better than the Sony RX100 II).
24-120 f/2-4 with IS is really in the ballpark of what I had hoped for on this camera, & ~12MP is a good sweet spot too.

The price will come down over time (you'll just have to buy a viewfinder on ebay or something if you want it cheaper).  If you have one of these I don't really see a justification for carrying around a non-FF DSLR unless you need super-long or super-wide lenses, or a really fast portrait/low-light lens.  The price would have been lower if they hadn't bothered with EOS M.

IMHO the execution of the EOS M system was pretty poor; theyd've been better served by further promoting the 100D/SL1 and coming out with a couple of compact EF zooms for it (the compact primes are finally coming along nicely & hopefully we'll see 50 or 85mm primes with IS soon).

Woody

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 08:54:25 PM »
Personally I think the G1X II is awesome (the name is pretty rough though).  According to the DPreview preview, this camera has the most luminous lens/sensor setup of any large sensor compact (.7 EV better than the Sony RX100 II).
24-120 f/2-4 with IS is really in the ballpark of what I had hoped for on this camera, & ~12MP is a good sweet spot too.

The price will come down over time (you'll just have to buy a viewfinder on ebay or something if you want it cheaper).  If you have one of these I don't really see a justification for carrying around a non-FF DSLR unless you need super-long or super-wide lenses, or a really fast portrait/low-light lens.  The price would have been lower if they hadn't bothered with EOS M.

IMHO the execution of the EOS M system was pretty poor; theyd've been better served by further promoting the 100D/SL1 and coming out with a couple of compact EF zooms for it (the compact primes are finally coming along nicely & hopefully we'll see 50 or 85mm primes with IS soon).

+1. Everything you said.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 08:54:25 PM »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 08:59:09 PM »
Canon, please give us a new APS-C "game changer" in the future 7D mark ii. If dual pixel AF worsens the image quality, do 7D mark ii without it. Just 16 megapixel camera with low noise at ISO 3200, and I'd be happy.

linus

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 09:00:08 PM »
I think what's exciting is that there is apparently going to be a hotshoe-mount evf. I don't know what they're going to do with it but it opens up the possibility at least that there will be one available for interchangeable lens cameras (which would be a very nice thing for video). I would hope to see one compatible with the last generation (year or two) of cameras but I won't exactly be holding my breath. Who knows though what secrets lie in recent firmware updates...

Woody

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 09:08:08 PM »
The EOS 7D Mark II will finally be unveiled and should be in your eager hands by the fall of 2014. It will set a new benchmark in the APS-C segment...

A lot of new lenses are coming, the biggest being a replacement of the EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS. We’re told that could be announced as early as March, but availability will not be immediate...

We’re told to expect a lot of exciting products throughout 2014 and that the Canon customer will be happy with the direction of the company.

Camera benchmarks are determined not just by fps or pixel count, sensor quality plays a very BIG role too. Canon has not been doing well in this last department for the past few years. Sigh...

As for new lenses, I am interested only in the 50 f/1.8 IS and 16-50 f/4 IS. Hopefully, I can get hold of these lenses before my big trip in July.

Canon has been moving VERY slowly in the past few years. They may be the market shares leader, but their products seem to lack the kind of awe and fanfare their competitors enjoy: D800, A7R and EM1.

I think the G1X II is an awesome camera. My only gripes are: lack of dual pixel AF (why???) and exorbitant price (which should come down after a while).

PHYSICA

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 09:13:33 PM »
G1XmkII and the other stuffs are not excited news , but there's another things which made me excited is...... the NEW external EVF for G1XmkII....

why made me excited? other brand already have this kind of stuff.....?

Yes ,it's true,  but NEW External EVF means two points:
1). Canon admit the necessary of EVF (either build-in or add-on ).
2). Old useless OVF on G series is not welcome. (i seldom use it on my G16)
3). The Possibility of EVF Compatibility of later product....... E.G.: Powershot G17 ?    or EOS M-3???

EOS M with a External EVF will be a good idea, Build-in one is nice , but actually i love to add EVF when i need more then already build one.

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 09:13:36 PM »
Sounds like the rumors about the 7D II release are finally solidifying. That's good news, about time that camera was finally released.

It is also very interesting to hear the 100-400 might finally be getting it's replacement! I'd be fairly interested in that lens.

I totally agree about the G1X II price...very odd. I think whoever is managing the G line and the EOS-M lines are really not in tune with the western markets. The positioning of those models is too high up the price ladder for over here. They may sell like hotcakes in Japan, but Japan isn't the US or EU.

Canon needs to bring a full mirrorless ecosystem to the US. An -M with a couple basic lenses will never break through the established DSLR market. Too many people have Rebels, and too many have purchased additional lenses. EOS-M needs LENSES! Would be really nice to see something like EOS-M Pro released here in the US with a whole range of lenses from maybe a fisheye prime, through wide primes and zooms, to long primes, to long zooms and maybe a telephoto. That's a big handful of lenses, but I don't think the US market would be interested in EOS-M unless there are some good, dedicated lenses for it at the same time. (And an EVF, of course...I guess that one is a given.)

tianxiaozhang

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 09:16:50 PM »
I personally just need a reliable 50mm.

1.8, 1.4, 1.X? I don't care.. Under $600 ideally, reliable, accurate, decent sharpness and bokeh, I'll buy one the day it's announced..

...Canon will start to announce products that make sense...

Now that really would be news...  ::)

Good one.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 09:16:50 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 09:36:52 PM »
Seeing is believing.

Cory

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 09:37:26 PM »
16-50 f/4 IS
Is there a 16-50 inbound?  That could be what I'm looking for.
70D, 10-18, 35 2.0 IS, 100 2.0 and 200 2.8II, 70-300L
EOS M/22 2.0
430EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 09:37:26 PM »