January 16, 2018, 06:52:25 PM

Author Topic: What's Next from Canon?  (Read 103290 times)

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: What's Next from Canon?
« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2014, 04:46:53 PM »
16-35 Mk2

I guess you missed the announcement of that one, it's been out for a few years.  ;)

dang, miss a single character and the forums brainiac is all over you like fanboyz on a Nikon!

p.s. I should know, had one, sold it!
5D3, M5, EOS 3, Holga 120

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: February 14, 2014, 04:46:53 PM »

mkabi

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #76 on: February 14, 2014, 06:45:01 PM »
I understand that, but I think it is largely mistaken - you can buy those other companies' products if they suit better. As I say, *unless* you're tied to a load of legacy lenses, flash guns, etc., there's nothing to tie you to one brand over another. And even if you are, you can use them on some other bodies, or sell them with not too big a loss.

True that theoretically "we" can just buy the other offerings or even "switch" completely. But ... in some ways Canon is the only game in town, either due to product availability or due to them making a specific product that the other manufacturers don't offer. For example, with micro-4/3 ... native telephoto lenses is non-existent (although Olympus has suggested a 300mm f/4 by 2015), so in this department Canon is the only option. Or ... apparently Canon has an excellent flash system (I wouldn't know, because I don't use flashes), which is unequaled by anybody else; so, if you're into flash photography, Canon has the best goods.

But in general, yeah, you're right. I've already decided on (possibly) going with Fujifilm for my sub-100mm work; and as soon as they offer an equivalent for my 70-200mm, then that goes over to Fujifilm as well; and as soon as Fujifilm offers a 300~500mm lens, it's bye-bye Canon.

But I'd really prefer not having to "rebuy" three lenses I already own and like very much, just because Canon doesn't offer what I want in a camera right now. That's my beef.

Out of curiosity, what kind of photography do you do, Sella?
From your previous posts, plus looking at your existing gear list... you can really benefit from getting anything that was released within the last 2 years (i.e. 70D, 6D, 5DIII or even the 1DX). Just saying...

My father in-law has a 5D Classic, and my cousin just got a 70D, and he was blown away by the IQ... he had a T1i before getting the 5D. After checking out the 70D, he plans on selling the 5D and getting a 6D.

The other thing is your lenses, you have nothing under f/2.5... perhaps a 85mm f/1.8???
Bah...

Niki

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #77 on: February 14, 2014, 07:07:12 PM »
<div name=\"googleone_share_1\" style=\"position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;\"><g:plusone size=\"tall\" count=\"1\" href=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/02/whats-next-from-canon/\"></g:plusone></div><div style=\"float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;\"><a href=\"https://twitter.com/share\" class=\"twitter-share-button\" data-count=\"vertical\" data-url=\"http://www.canonrumors.com/2014/02/whats-next-from-canon/\">Tweet</a></div>
<p>The latest announcements from Canon aren’t exactly receiving a lot of positive feedback in my inbox. The G1 X with an EVF for $1000 seems to be irking a lot of people. For that price, the camera needs to be the absolute best in the segment, and I think that’s going to be a hard thing to achieve.</p>
<p>To a lot of people, the resources put into the G1 X II would have probably been better served by moving the EOS M into the mainstream. The M2 isn’t coming to North America, and I highly doubt a lot of G1 X II cameras are going to sell at the introduction price of $799. When the camera is $499, things will probably be different.</p>
<p>We’re told between March and August that Canon will start to announce products that make sense and will be popular.</p>
<p>The EOS 7D Mark II will finally be unveiled and should be in your eager hands by the fall of 2014. It will set a new benchmark in the APS-C segment.</p>
<p>A lot of new lenses are coming, the biggest being a replacement of the EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS. We’re told that could be announced as early as March, but availability will not be immediate.</p>
<p>A third DSLR will be announced in 2014, though we’re not sure what that will be.</p>
<p>The Cinema EOS line will see a new camera or two for NAB in April, we’re told a lower cost 4K camera will be the star of the show.</p>
<p>There will also be another few PowerShot cameras announced sometime between now and May. Included in that will be the replacement to the SX50 IS.</p>
<p>Things haven’t been too exciting for Canon since the introduction of the very good EOS 6D, but even that started with a whimper. We’re told to expect a lot of exciting products throughout 2014 and that the Canon customer will be happy with the direction of the company.</p>
<p>More to come….</p>
<p><strong><span style=\"color: #ff0000;\">c</span>r</strong></p>

sounds good to me

Lee Jay

« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2014, 10:52:00 PM »
When it comes to base ISO (where most people shoot most of their photos),....

?????

16.9% of my SLR shots are at base ISO, 3% fewer than are at ISO 1600.

Lee Jay

« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2014, 10:53:10 PM »
I'm curious if the successor to the SX-50 will have dual-pixel technologies and what the zoom will be.

Very unlikely.  The pixels are too small to be divided in half, at least by Canon with their current fabrication technologies.

jrista

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • EOL
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #80 on: February 15, 2014, 12:02:35 AM »
I'm curious if the successor to the SX-50 will have dual-pixel technologies and what the zoom will be.

Very unlikely.  The pixels are too small to be divided in half, at least by Canon with their current fabrication technologies.

Canon's fabrication tech is only limited (supposedly, we don't really know this for sure) in the fabs for APS-C and FF. Canon already moved to 180nm fabrication several years ago for their small form factor sensors. The SX-50's sensor is 1/2.3", so it would be manufactured by their newer fabs. I'd be surprised if Canon wasn't using a smaller fabrication process than even 180nm for these sensors, honestly, but there isn't much information in the sensor world on Canon's fabrication tech (at least, they certainly don't seem to headline nearly as much as the other major players in the smartphone and video market sectors.)

Sella174

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • So there!
« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2014, 02:40:10 AM »
Out of curiosity, what kind of photography do you do, Sella?

Archival ... so mostly I document people and their interaction with their environment ... building a record of what was then and what is now. I find it a lot less stressful to just take heaps of photographs of an old building before it is torn down, than to fight for its preservation ... and then of course what is put up in its place.

And dogs, horses, birds, lizards, butterflies, and when I get another cat, cats.

From your previous posts, plus looking at your existing gear list... you can really benefit from getting anything that was released within the last 2 years (i.e. 70D, 6D, 5DIII or even the 1DX). Just saying...

In terms of pure megapixels, possibly (but see below); in terms of almost anything else, no ... well, OK, since they released the 70D and 5DIII, yes ... but by this time mirrorless has shown its stuff and I kind of like the concept.

My father in-law has a 5D Classic, and my cousin just got a 70D, and he was blown away by the IQ... he had a T1i before getting the 5D. After checking out the 70D, he plans on selling the 5D and getting a 6D.

I looked at the 60D when it was a few months old (borrowed one for a week) and found the images from my 30D much better. The 6D equates to roughly 8MP equivalent in APS-C, which is the same as my 30D ... so, in my warped opinion, no big improvement there; as for the low-light capabilities of the 6D, well, over here the sun is so bright that I'm nearly always on ISO200 (because it's a good trade-off).

The other thing is your lenses, you have nothing under f/2.5... perhaps a 85mm f/1.8???

Don't need 'em ... I'm not a razor-thin DoF warrior. And when I really want to go for shallow DoF, I've got MF primes for the job - which is another reason why mirrorless pulls my interest.

So, please stop dumping on my gear. It works for me.

But just as an aside, if Canon right now announces a new "EOS 10D" that is basically a mirrorless version of the 70D (dual-pixel AF and EVF), with availability by June/July of this year, then I'll buy two of 'em, right there and then. Plus I'll probably buy another three lenses.  :-\
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: February 15, 2014, 02:40:10 AM »

Arctic Photo

• EOS M5
« Reply #82 on: February 15, 2014, 05:18:14 AM »

[/quote]

I looked at the 60D when it was a few months old (borrowed one for a week) and found the images from my 30D much better.

[/quote]

I find that strange. I had the 60D before I got my 5DMkIII and my brother in law had the 30D before he got his 6D. When we shot together with the old gear it he 60D pretty much always came out on top. Maybe we're just looking for different things.

I agree with you on the mirrorless, I will definitely get me a mirrorless in some shape as a complement. I wish for an updated M, otherwise I'll just get an M really cheap. It will be perfect for its purpose.

Velo Steve

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • Photos on Flickr (mostly removed when they changed the site)
« Reply #83 on: February 15, 2014, 05:54:02 AM »
Not responding to any one post...

On the G1X II: without a viewfinder, it's a toy camera to me.  I'm fine with EVF or optical, as long as it's a good view and I can hold the camera properly.  I'll probably not look at this line again unless the viewfinder is integrated, rather than an add-on.

I do use a smaller powershot occasionally, when my 5D III is too much to carry.  The right fixed-lens higher quality camera WOULD be tempting.

On the low ISO topic - my default ISO is 400.  In the rare cases where I have the light, stability, and slow-moving subject to go lower, I will.  Much more often, I'm pushing the ISO up to keep the shutter speed within reason.  A bald eagle hunting on a winter morning just isn't going to stop and let me shoot at 1/8 second.

As a result, lower noise at ISO 3200 would be worth a lot more to me than amazing image quality at ISO 100.

The best way for Canon, Sigma, or some other third party to get my money right now would be a big sharp telephoto that doesn't cost a fortune.  I know there's a lot of expensive glass (or fluorite) in the big lenses, but the jump from say a 300mm F4 for under $1400 to a 600mm F4 for over $12000 is pretty daunting.

Telephoto isn't the only thing I do, by the way.  It's just that from 24mm to 200mm I'm happy with the equipment I have.  I'm much more limited by my skill and creativity than by the hardware until I get to the longer focal lengths.

One question: am I right in perceiving that mirrorless is more about the buzzword than about function?   I know that mirrors can be noisy, slow, and bulky.  Still, I get the feeling that a large group of people have just decided that it's what they want, regardless of whether they will get better photos for the size or price.

Sella174

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • So there!
« Reply #84 on: February 15, 2014, 06:22:50 AM »
One question: am I right in perceiving that mirrorless is more about the buzzword than about function?   I know that mirrors can be noisy, slow, and bulky.  Still, I get the feeling that a large group of people have just decided that it's what they want, regardless of whether they will get better photos for the size or price.

In a mirrorless system the sensor is active all the time, so you can leverage that to do stuff you cannot do with a DSLR (in mirrored mode), like subject tracking using face recognition, and metering using the light that actually falls on the sensor (no more using the histogram to determine critical exposure), and heaps more because the camera can now effectively "see" what's going on. Obviously all this can be done in LiveView mode, but getting rid of the mirror permanently just simplifies the process.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

sanj

« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2014, 06:44:01 AM »
When it comes to base ISO (where most people shoot most of their photos),....

?????

16.9% of my SLR shots are at base ISO, 3% fewer than are at ISO 1600.

Similar percentages for me as well.

Canon1

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2014, 06:55:29 AM »
...sensor quality plays a very BIG role too. Canon has not been doing well in this last department for the past few years. Sigh...

I just don't understand comments like that. While Canon may be a bit slow on updating its APS-C sensors, I don't know how anyone can really criticize the 1D, 5D or 6D sensors. Canon customers ripped Canon for emphasizing megapixels over ISO performance, so Canon got conservative on the megapixels and produced sensors that outshine the competition in ISO performance.
Slightly, and only on higher ISO levels.

When it comes to base ISO (where most people shoot most of their photos), SoNikon completely destroys Canon's ancient sensors in terms of pure IQ and dynamic range. Canon hasn't even gotten rid of the dreadful shadow banding yet. Wtf? :P

Canon is only interesting for lenses now days. My EF-glass lives a happy life on my A7R. A tiny mirrorless camera that blows the 5D and 1DX out of the water. The difference in IQ is so big that I'll most likely never use my 5D3 again.

I would dispute that most people shoot at base ISO. I'd be willing to bet there are a hell of a lot more people who photograph some kind of action or shooting in low light, than there are people who photograph more still scenes. Even wedding photographers shoot at higher ISO settings, many of them even shoot at very high ISOs on purpose for that grain-like aesthetic in black and white. You have all the olympics shooters, sports shooters, street photographers, wildlife and bird photographers, concert and event shooters, air show and race shooters, the paparazzi, photo journalism is at high ISO as much as lower ISO, etc.

People who shoot at lower ISO? Landscape photographers, maybe macro photographers (although if your going for extreme macro with an MP-E 65 or extension tubes, your at least at ISO 400 if not 800 or more), studio photographers (however when it comes to studio photography, you have total control over light, shadow, and scene DR, so having more stops of DR isn't a necessity...it's simply a nicety.)

Oh, and, you have amateur photographers! :P However, amateurs shoot at low ISO all the time out of ignorance, not because they need to. Once an amateur becomes something else, the chances they will use higher ISOs more than lower ISOs greatly increases.

So, yeah. I STRONGLY dispute the notion that "most" photographers use base ISO. Far more things in the world involve action of some kind, in which case you are either full manual and explicitly choosing a higher ISO, or your using a priority mode and choosing your shutter speed in one way or another (leaving ISO on auto, in which case it will most certainly float above ISO 100 and 200 the majority of the time.)

I rarely shoot below ISO 1000.  But I also don't shoot in the mid day when the light is strong (and harsh).  For me it's the bookends of the day that I'm out and why it is so important to me that ISO perfomance is improved over DR. 

eml58

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • 1Dx
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2014, 08:18:12 AM »
I rarely shoot below ISO 1000.  But I also don't shoot in the mid day when the light is strong (and harsh).  For me it's the bookends of the day that I'm out and why it is so important to me that ISO perfomance is improved over DR.

Yes, I'de agree with this & jrista's previous comment, certainly with my own Wildlife Photography my 1Dx & 5DMK III are always set on ISO400 or ISO800 and depending on available light I move from that base point.

Even my Underwater Photography is generally at ISO200-800, Macro with Flash may get down to ISO100 but rarely.

Most wildlife is at it's best early morning late afternoon, so I very rarely get to use ISO100/200 unless I'm shooting People/Objects in the middle of the day.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2014, 08:18:12 AM »

Lee Jay

« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2014, 08:45:22 AM »

In a mirrorless system the sensor is active all the time, so you can leverage that to do stuff you cannot do with a DSLR (in mirrored mode), like subject tracking using face recognition, and metering using the light that actually falls on the sensor (no more using the histogram to determine critical exposure), and heaps more because the camera can now effectively "see" what's going on. Obviously all this can be done in LiveView mode, but getting rid of the mirror permanently just simplifies the process.

This also causes a drastic loss of battery life, and the resulting information overload is distracting.  I turn it all of in my EVF cameras and the EVF is lousy in every way compared to an OVF.  There are only two reasons I want a hybrid viewfinder - video and focus assist when using my telescope.

Sella174

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • So there!
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2014, 10:37:08 AM »
This also causes a drastic loss of battery life ...

Which is solved by bigger batteries ... which is why I keep shouting for people to stop harping on "the small size of mirrorless" as a feature. Make a mirrorless camera as big as 5DIII and cram the sucker full of batteries.

... and the resulting information overload is distracting.  I turn it all of in my EVF cameras ...

For some. But isn't it great that you can actually turn it off, huh?  ;)

... the EVF is lousy in every way compared to an OVF.

Depends. Definitely so in 2012; it became better in 2013; and next year it'll be even better. For comparison, I remember a time when we all felt that film was still soooo much superior to digital and "pros" wouldn't touch it for serious work. But look at where we are today. So please don't judge EVF's on how they are now, as the technology is constantly being improved.  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2014, 10:37:08 AM »