August 22, 2014, 04:44:33 AM

Author Topic: Canon PowerShot G1 X II Thoughts from CP+  (Read 3352 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Thoughts from CP+
« on: February 14, 2014, 08:00:07 AM »

Reviewed.com has their camera staff at CP+ in Tokyo and have taken some time to write a pretty extensive preview of the Canon PowerShot G1 X II. On the surface, they appear very positive about the camera. Keep in mind, these thoughts are without actual real world image samples and usability tests.

Some thoughts from reviewed.com

“The retooled Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II is a clear shot at the Sony Cyber-shot RX100 II—a camera that currently enjoys an undisputed reign atop the pocket cam hierarchy. And in some key specs, the Canon is a superior offering. Its lens is both brighter and has more reach, and the sensor’s a lot bigger, too. All of that ought to translate to higher image quality, especially in low light.”

Read the full article | Canon PowerShot G1 X II at B&H Photo

image credit: reviewed.com

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon PowerShot G1 X II Thoughts from CP+
« on: February 14, 2014, 08:00:07 AM »

Triggyman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Canon PowerShot G1 X II Thoughts from CP+
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 09:30:03 AM »
Tempting camera to get - I've been looking for a smaller camera just to take with me and enjoy taking pictures with. However the price tag is too steep for me, I think this will appeal to consumers who have more money to spare - so I think I'm not part of the market  Canon has set its sights on  ;)

5D Mark III, EF 24-105mm F/4L IS, EF 35mm f/2 IS USM, EF 100mm F/2.8L Macro, 600EX-RT. Wishlist: Upcoming 50mm f/1.8 IS USM or 50mm f/1.2L USM

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2014, 09:34:33 AM »
The point of owning an RX100 is its "pocketability"; that's not to say that the G1X II won't fit in a pocket, just that the size of the pocket will need to be larger. The G1X II is actually larger than the full frame RX1 in most dimensions, though it is slightly shallower over the lens (the body itself is a bit chunkier).

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2014, 09:44:19 AM »
The point of owning an RX100 is its "pocketability"; that's not to say that the G1X II won't fit in a pocket, just that the size of the pocket will need to be larger.

Yeah - I don't really consider something to be 'pocketable' if I'm required to wear a coat or cargo pants to have a sufficiently large pocket.  By that definition, in at least one of my coats the 1D X + 40/2.8 is also 'pocketable'. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2014, 09:53:22 AM »
Am I the only one who is more excited about Canon finally getting into EVFs than for the G2X itself?  :P

Nice camera though. Unfortunately here in EU the price will be around 650€. Too much for me to consider it a sensible investment.

ajndesign

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2014, 10:07:21 AM »
It seems the thing that this review marks as a disapointment, being bigger than the RX100, is a pro for me! I've tried the RX100 II and found it to be too small and fiddly! I like to have something substantial in my hand, and it is still tiny compared to a DSLR and lens.
The G1x Mark II wins for me, despite its price!

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 10:21:01 AM »
The G1X-II looks to me to be a collossal waste of time and money for Canon development.  If they had wanted to
hit a home run, they should have used M lenses, priced it at $499.00 and pushed it as a new mirrorless system.
Now they just have two turkeys on their hands and will have a hard time selling either.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2014, 10:21:01 AM »

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 10:48:57 AM »
This camera is way more interesting to me than an M. I don't want to have to invest into another lens system & the 24-120 built-in lens on this looks pretty rad! The price will drop a bit once all the G1X models are gone.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 10:55:34 AM »
This camera is way more interesting to me than an M. I don't want to have to invest into another lens system & the 24-120 built-in lens on this looks pretty rad! The price will drop a bit once all the G1X models are gone.

A pointed disputed by the fact that EOS-M + 18-55 + 20 pancake is still cheaper than the G2X.

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 11:06:12 AM »
The point of owning an RX100 is its "pocketability"; that's not to say that the G1X II won't fit in a pocket, just that the size of the pocket will need to be larger.

Yeah - I don't really consider something to be 'pocketable' if I'm required to wear a coat or cargo pants to have a sufficiently large pocket.  By that definition, in at least one of my coats the 1D X + 40/2.8 is also 'pocketable'.

I've never come across a coat that would comfortably be able to fit a 1D-series in its pocket; I'm sure they exist, depending on your definition of "comfortable". My old G12 felt very big and bulky in my coat pocket and the G1X II is even bigger; at least it is far more capable camera. Besides, if you lived in Britain you'd find that you were pretty much "required" to wear a coat for 90% of the year anyway.  :P

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 11:08:44 AM »

A pointed disputed by the fact that EOS-M + 18-55 + 20 pancake is still cheaper than the G2X.

You're comparing a pre-order price to a close out price.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 11:16:11 AM »
The G1X-II looks to me to be a collossal waste of time and money for Canon development.  If they had wanted to
hit a home run, they should have used M lenses, priced it at $499.00 and pushed it as a new mirrorless system.
Now they just have two turkeys on their hands and will have a hard time selling either.

Really? I think that if you took the lens off this camera, it would be pretty ordinary. What would be the advantages over the current EOS M2? (assuming you can get your hands on one!)

ajndesign

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 11:23:22 AM »
I'm glad someone thinks the same as me! People keep on about how an M is cheaper and all the other M43 cameras are cheaper etc etc... What they don't seem to get is that there are people out there who DON'T WANT a camera with separate lenses!
I am willing to pay extra for the G1X II so I don't have the hassle of separate lenses.
Anyway, a M43 camera may be cheaper to start with, but there will then be a need to buy other lenses. So for me at least, the G1X II is more or less my ideal camera!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 11:23:22 AM »

smozes

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 12:16:22 PM »
After owning the s90 I stopped believing there's such a thing as a pocketable compact.

Even that camera was not comfortable to walk around with or store along with anything else in a pocket. I can't imagine what it's like to walk around with the RX100 in your pant pocket.
EOS-M + 22mm, EF 50 1.8 II

WoodyWindy

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • On the road again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 12:55:08 PM »
This is definitely on my short list as my SX100 IS take everywhere cam replacement, though the true successor (SX700 HS) announced at the same time is also tempting...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 12:55:08 PM »