November 22, 2014, 09:44:21 PM

Author Topic: Is the canon eos-m a dead end system?  (Read 17260 times)

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Is the canon eos-m a dead end system?
« on: February 14, 2014, 03:55:22 PM »
Hi all,

Firstly let me just say - I don't mean to offend any Eos-m users by putting this post.
I am still keen is getting a smaller unit as an alternative to my 5dmk3 and I believe this is the Eos-m system.
However, with Canon releasing a new G1 camera and only releasing the Eos-M 2 in Japan and some parts of Asia, have they abandoned the Eos-m system? Should I wait later this year instead of getting the original Eos-m?

Thanks all,

canon rumors FORUM

Is the canon eos-m a dead end system?
« on: February 14, 2014, 03:55:22 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
Re: Is the canon eos-m a dead end system?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2014, 04:11:38 PM »
I'll take a stab at this, and I am an EOS-M owner. What difference does it make, if the camera you buy can do the things you want why does it matter if any more are made?

I had a G10 that I wanted to upgrade, I looked at the various options from pretty much everybody, including, obviously, the G1X and the G12/G15. But what won me over to the M was the unique integration with the EOS system I already owned, and that is the M's key feature. If that is a key feature for you then I'd recommend one wholeheartedly, whether they make/import another one or not, if that is not a key feature for you then it is a very competitive market segment and I'd suggest taking some time comparing actual cameras in your hands before committing.

I'd expect the M-III to have the EVF of the G1X MkII, if so I'd really like that, but it doesn't diminish what the current model can do.
Never look down on anybody, unless you are helping them up.

surapon

• 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2014, 11:23:04 AM »
Hi all,

Firstly let me just say - I don't mean to offend any Eos-m users by putting this post.
I am still keen is getting a smaller unit as an alternative to my 5dmk3 and I believe this is the Eos-m system.
However, with Canon releasing a new G1 camera and only releasing the Eos-M 2 in Japan and some parts of Asia, have they abandoned the Eos-m system? Should I wait later this year instead of getting the original Eos-m?

Thanks all,

Dear Friend, Mr. gshocked.
In my Idea, I do not think so, No way that Canon will abandon EOS-M, because very popular in South East Asia/China/ Japan( that are millions customers).  Yes, They sell EOS-M2 in Japan and Thailand now, But very minimum Improve, Just Smaller body and Faster AF--------Yes, I will wait for EOS-M3 with in 4-6 months , that will be much improve for USA/ Europe Markets

http://thenewcamera.com/tag/canon-eos-m2/

Enjoy.
Surapon

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2014, 02:56:03 PM »
I agree with surapon and privatebydesign.

With an 18-55, 22 and 11-22 what lenses you really need for a portable system?  If you want to extend the capabilities, then the adapter lets you use the wide range EF lenses available.  I bought it to replace a Canon P&S, and it works well.  I got the camera during the firesale, and for that price, it couldn't be beat.  I have the 18-55 and 22, and I might get the 11-22 in the future (via Canada).  It also backs up my 5D III.

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2014, 03:05:14 PM »
I think they released the EOS-M before they should have. To me, this seems like the kind of camera dual-pixel technology was designed for... give the EOS-M a kick-ass autofocus system and it should sell well.

A lot of people want something small and light, yet takes better pictures than a p/s or phone. It's hard to beat the EOS-M and it's few lenses for that, plus, if you really want to use it with Lglass, slap on the adaptor and you can.

The best camera is the one in your hands

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2014, 05:14:17 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks all,

Dear Friend, Mr. gshocked.
In my Idea, I do not think so, No way that Canon will abandon EOS-M, because very popular in South East Asia/China/ Japan( that are millions customers).  Yes, They sell EOS-M2 in Japan and Thailand now, But very minimum Improve, Just Smaller body and Faster AF--------Yes, I will wait for EOS-M3 with in 4-6 months , that will be much improve for USA/ Europe Markets

http://thenewcamera.com/tag/canon-eos-m2/

Enjoy.
Surapon

Thank you Mr. Surapon.
I hope your right.

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 05:15:43 PM »
I think they released the EOS-M before they should have. To me, this seems like the kind of camera dual-pixel technology was designed for... give the EOS-M a kick-ass autofocus system and it should sell well.

A lot of people want something small and light, yet takes better pictures than a p/s or phone. It's hard to beat the EOS-M and it's few lenses for that, plus, if you really want to use it with Lglass, slap on the adaptor and you can.

Does the new EOS M2 utilize dual pixel tech?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2014, 05:15:43 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2014, 05:36:26 PM »
I think they released the EOS-M before they should have. To me, this seems like the kind of camera dual-pixel technology was designed for...

Agreed.  I just hope they didn't dig themselves into a reputation hole...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2014, 05:39:34 PM »
Does the new EOS M2 utilize dual pixel tech?

No.  The M uses Hybrid CMOS (a few phase AF spots clustered at the center if the frame), same sensor as the T4i/T5i.  The M2 uses Hybrid CMOS II (phase AF spots spread over ~80% of the frame), same sensor as the SL1.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 02:25:45 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks all,

Get the M for what it is: a small compact camera with a relatively large sensor that is suitable for still subjects.

The M can take your SLR lenses in a pinch which is something the G series cannot. 

The M is small enough to stow away once the action starts and you need AF that can track.  It works splendidly as a 2 camera setup for me - SLR for anything that moves, M for everything else.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2014, 02:32:57 PM »
Hi all,

Thanks all,

Hmmm, well if you consider there aren't many third party lenses available, notably from Sigma - that at least means that outside from Canon there is not too much support for the system. The leader in APS-C mirrorless is Sony, I think.
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

smozes

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2014, 09:12:04 PM »
I found this PDF from the G1 engineering group an interesting read. Among other things, they make a passing comparison between the G1, a fixed zoom compact and mirrorless:

Comparing the G1 X Mark II to an
SLR or mirrorless camera

The PowerShot G1 X Mark II is a compact digital camera with a fixed integrated lens. This means that many aspects of performance can be optimised for this lens. Sharpness, distortion, lens zooming position, sensor can all be optimised for the integrated lens. This kind of optimisation is not found in cameras with interchangeable lenses, especially those with lenses of f/2.0 or larger.

It seems that Canon's view remains that they already have a small camera form factor, and they're out to prove that it's a better system than mirrorless. Elsewhere they also dismiss the recent retro design trend. The overall tone and perspective in the paper is quite conservative, as in Canon knows best where to focus its efforts.
EOS-M + 22mm, EF 50 1.8 II

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 11:09:16 PM »
Hard to say what Canon will do.  I think many people will not want a camera without possibility of lens change.  As stated, the adapter opens the door to all the Canon and third party glass, and the is works on it as well.

I just got back from a trip with my 5DIII with a couple of lenses and the M with zoom.  I found the little camera was very capable for most situations.  I also tried my 70-200 f4L is and 1.4X extender just to see what it could do.  I took pics of a hummingbird sitting on a branch of a tree in shade.  It did very well.

It is small, easy to carry and conceal when in sketchy areas, and for the price, a great deal.

My two cents (about 1 cent more than it is worth likely) is that they will come out with a V.3 for the USA. Who knows, it may be full frame too?

sek

I found this PDF from the G1 engineering group an interesting read. Among other things, they make a passing comparison between the G1, a fixed zoom compact and mirrorless:

SLR or mirrorless camera

The PowerShot G1 X Mark II is a compact digital camera with a fixed integrated lens. This means that many aspects of performance can be optimised for this lens. Sharpness, distortion, lens zooming position, sensor can all be optimised for the integrated lens. This kind of optimisation is not found in cameras with interchangeable lenses, especially those with lenses of f/2.0 or larger.

It seems that Canon's view remains that they already have a small camera form factor, and they're out to prove that it's a better system than mirrorless. Elsewhere they also dismiss the recent retro design trend. The overall tone and perspective in the paper is quite conservative, as in Canon knows best where to focus its efforts.
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2014, 11:09:16 PM »

lescrane

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2014, 11:55:13 PM »
I bought the EOS M in July when it went on sale, added the 18-55 EF M lens and a sunpak flash.

What I got is the exact same IQ as I get in my 18mp SLR's in a much smaller package.  It's a "carry around" camera for when I can't carry around the D series or Rebels. Or it's  a 2nd body for wide angle shots when I have a long  telephoto on the 60 or 70D. Now I can make sure I am ready for a quick landscape w/o carrying around the weight of two SLR's, or resorting to my Samsung Galaxy phone.

I would not buy the adapter because I don't see the point in having a big lens on a tiny body it's past the point where it's light to carry easy to slip into a small case.

maybe a 18-100  or 15-85 ish lens  would be useful but i don't know if I'd invest in one as long as I have my other SLRS

What I would like to see is an M III with a pop up flash and an EVF.    However, that would increase size and cost.......making it compete with the Rebel SL1, at least in my eyes. 

I considered buying other mirrorless systems but stuck w/Canon to keep life simple..have been using EOS for as long as it existed and am too lazy to learn new controls and menus

mrsfotografie

• 1D X
  • www.mrsfotografie.nl
    • View Profile
    • MRS fotografie
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 12:41:24 AM »

SLR or mirrorless camera

Technically the image quality can be made 'better' using in-camera software correction given enough optical sharpness etc, but I still think an interchangeable lens camera allows for more creativity and is more 'fun' as well especially if you consider the ability to use some old and interesting lenses via an adapter. There are a lot of photographers who like the characteristics of these old lenses despite them not being 'perfect' (imperfection often adds character). But of course, carrying an extra set of lenses quickly diminishes the compactness of the whole setup.
5D3, 5D2, Sony α6000, G16 | SY14 f/2.8, Ʃ20 f/1.8, 24 f/2.8, 35 f/2, Ʃ35 f/1.4A, 50 f/1.8 I, Ʃ50 f/1.4 EX, 100L Macro, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 1.4x II, 70-300L, 100-400L | E-mount: SY12 f/2, Ʃ19 & 30 f/2.8 EX DN, 16-70 ZA OSS, 55-210 OSS, Metabones SB | FT-QL, AE-1P | FD(n) & FL lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2014, 12:41:24 AM »