December 20, 2014, 12:29:41 AM

Author Topic: Is the canon eos-m a dead end system?  (Read 18368 times)

LDS

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Is the canon eos-m a dead end system?
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2014, 03:59:44 AM »
...their first MILC was the second best-selling MILC in their home country (where MILCs are popular), beating out many of the established vendors in that space.
It was the second one - not the first, anyway. Which was the first, and by what margin? That happened in a single country that has a somewhat "special" market compared to the Western one, Japanese buyers have a different mindset. Here the Canon M was a big failure, and to sell had to reduce price greatly. The successor is not even sold.
Is it wise to design a camera for the home market only, and then try to sell it worldwide, and fail? Why design a single model, instead of a couple, a lower-end one and an higher-end one, to fulfill different needs, instead of insisting on a lower-end one only, despite interchangeable lenses could appeal to higher-end users?
Sure, Canon sell a lot of DSLR, but how many of them are thanks to its higher-end models traction? People may dream of a 1D or 5D and then maybe buy a 7D or 60D because they can't afford the formers, but they anyway "feel good" because they know they're entering a "professional system" that can last many years.
But with the M? It's ok to sell more lenses and use a different mount for smaller ones, especially from Canon perspective, but if the user feels that those lenses may be bound to a camera system going nowhere, how many will be interesting in buying them instead of going EF?
The M camera was successul in Japan, OK, how many M lenses were sold to the average Japanese M user? Was the system successful, or most users found the kit lens enough, as it was just a fixed lens camera, just a little "cooler" "hey, see, I could remove the lens if I wish, and it looks a little like an expensive Leica..."

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2014, 03:59:44 AM »

bholliman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2014, 08:15:45 AM »
I'm keep hearing people say: "I bought EOS-M as a backup camera".

Let be honest here guys, many of us(including myself) bought the M due to half price reduction.

If this EOS-m still selling @ $700-$800, I wonder how many of us would consider the M as backup camera?

From 5D III owner POV, it doesn't make any senses to have EOS-M as a backup - from slow AF, unbalance, IQ.

Let say you go out and shoot BIF or action event. Your 5D III or 1D X is not working, would you rather have rebel, 60d, 40d etc as a backup?

My 2cents: current EOS-M is death and Canon has no interest bringing this system up to date in US market yet.

I also bought my EOS-M because of the price reduction last summer, I wasn't even considering it before that.  But, once I started using it, I realized it could replace my 7D as a seldom used back-up body and my S100 as a compact camera for when I didn't want to carry a large DSLR.  I was able to sell my 7D and S100 and have never missed either.  So, to me the M is worth more than the $300 I paid for it.  If an M3 or M4 is introduced down the road with a nice EVF and DPAF, I would be interested and would be willing to pay maybe up to $600 for it.

I shoot very little action and almost no BIF, so I don't need a high performance AF system.  Those who do shoot action and BIF could still "get by" with the M as a backup as Neuro pointed out.  Canon DSLR's are very robust, we all know the likelihood of camera failure is unlikely.
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M
EF Lenses: 35mm f/2.0 IS, 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro, 135mm f/2.0L, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; EF-M Lenses: 22 f/2, 18-55
Speedlites: ST-E3-RT, 600EX-RT (x3)

Bob Howland

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2014, 09:18:13 AM »
Something like this:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/thecamerastoretv-a6000-video-review-its-a-fantastic-solid-product/

is what the Canon M2 should have been: 11FPS, 24MP (I'd settle for 18MP), EVF and comparatively small. And, oh yes, it's $650.

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 6D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
How come DP Review never did a review?
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2014, 11:21:13 PM »
How come DP Review never did a full review of a production model  EOS-M?   All they ever did was this preview back in July 2013:

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canon-eos-m/

It was not included in their mirrorless roundup published Nov 30, 2013:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/9961962217/entry-level-mirrorless-camera-roundup-2013

I really like the interactive widget that DP Review uses to allow comparison of image quality at various ISOs with various cameras.  I would not buy a camera that they hadn't reviewed so that I can compare the IQ to cameras I already have.

Was the IQ of the EOS-M so bad that DP Review decided not to publish a review?

Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 700D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8, 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f/1.2L, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma classic.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: How come DP Review never did a review?
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2014, 11:25:04 PM »
I really like the interactive widget that DP Review uses to allow comparison of image quality at various ISOs with various cameras.  I would not buy a camera that they hadn't reviewed so that I can compare the IQ to cameras I already have.

Was the IQ of the EOS-M so bad that DP Review decided not to publish a review?

The sensor is the same one in the T4i.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2014, 12:55:23 AM »
How much improvement was gained with the new firmware update?

DRR

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »

Improvement in what?

The most significant improvement was in AF speed and it improved quite a bit. Still not best in class, but acceptable.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »

surapon

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2014, 09:54:23 AM »
Dear Friends.
I do not care about talking of EOS-M, BUT When I fell in love some one, I just see only a good sides.
Yes, I have 4 DSLRs in my hands since 2001, But 95%  regular days , I have EOS-M with EF-M 22 mm F/ 2.0 on my Belt ( Belt Bag) and I am very happy about her result / great recorded Photos for me 99% of her results.
Plus, On the Photographic Assignment, Yes, I  use 3 Cameras and 3 Lens, 5D MK II + EF 24-70 F/2.8, 7D + 70-200 F/ 2.8 L IS, 1DS MK I + 85 mm F/ 1.2 L MK II, And THIS GREAT EOS-M with EF_M 22 mm, F/ 2.0 as the spare Camera, With TS-E 24 mm. F/ 3.5 L MK II  ( on my belt pack) for Landscape Scenery.
Have a great workweek.
Surapon

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2014, 02:55:26 PM »

Improvement in what?

The most significant improvement was in AF speed and it improved quite a bit. Still not best in class, but acceptable.

I've seen a few YouTube vids on AF tests before and after the firmware update and the after looked ok?

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2014, 06:00:01 PM »

Improvement in what?

I've seen a few YouTube vids on AF tests before and after the firmware update and the after looked ok?
YouTube Sony a6000...now that look OK  ::)
Bodies: 1DX -- 5D III
Zooms: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Primes: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 25, 2014, 01:06:25 AM »
How many feathers can you paste on a turkey before you think it's an eagle?

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2014, 01:36:44 AM »

Improvement in what?

After tje firmware update the AF speed was still slow (in comparion to the AF speed of competing mirrorless cameras) but definitely better then before .. so yes, you can say it's "ok" ... but I sold my EF-M with lenses adapter and flash about couple of hours ago ... plan on getting the Sony a6000 )with kit lens+10-18 f/4 OSS UWA.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2014, 06:14:47 AM »
Dear Friends.
I do not care about talking of EOS-M, BUT When I fell in love some one, I just see only a good sides.
Yes, I have 4 DSLRs in my hands since 2001, But 95%  regular days , I have EOS-M with EF-M 22 mm F/ 2.0 on my Belt ( Belt Bag) and I am very happy about her result / great recorded Photos for me 99% of her results.
Plus, On the Photographic Assignment, Yes, I  use 3 Cameras and 3 Lens, 5D MK II + EF 24-70 F/2.8, 7D + 70-200 F/ 2.8 L IS, 1DS MK I + 85 mm F/ 1.2 L MK II, And THIS GREAT EOS-M with EF_M 22 mm, F/ 2.0 as the spare Camera, With TS-E 24 mm. F/ 3.5 L MK II  ( on my belt pack) for Landscape Scenery.
Have a great workweek.
Surapon

Hi Mr. Surapon,

I've said this before but your set up is still very intriguing to me.
If the eos-m2 comes to Australia, I'll get it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2014, 06:14:47 AM »

DRR

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2014, 12:37:21 PM »

Improvement in what?

After tje firmware update the AF speed was still slow (in comparion to the AF speed of competing mirrorless cameras) but definitely better then before .. so yes, you can say it's "ok" ... but I sold my EF-M with lenses adapter and flash about couple of hours ago ... plan on getting the Sony a6000 )with kit lens+10-18 f/4 OSS UWA.

Yes, it's "ok." For me, good enough, I generally use center point and recompose with my SLR, and I employ a similar shooting style with the EOS M. Center point is going to be fastest, just pick something on the same focal plane that has the most contrast, and recompose. It works fine for me, if you need faster AF then m4/3 has fast AF cameras, but then you go to a smaller sensor. Sony's line is very appealing but I don't want to spend that much for what amounts to a travel camera for me.

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2014, 08:22:05 AM »

Improvement in what?

Yes, it's "ok." For me, good enough, I generally use center point and recompose with my SLR, and I employ a similar shooting style with the EOS M. Center point is going to be fastest, just pick something on the same focal plane that has the most contrast, and recompose. It works fine for me, if you need faster AF then m4/3 has fast AF cameras, but then you go to a smaller sensor. Sony's line is very appealing but I don't want to spend that much for what amounts to a travel camera for me.
k
I recently used the EOS-M + 18-55 I STM & 22 f/2 lenses for my vacation in Australia and it was a great setup ... very light and easy to carry around without feeling the weight. But after having tried the Sony a7, I started looking into the Sony line of mirrorless cameras and am very impressed with them ... there are at least a couple of Sony mirrorless cameras that are priced similar to the EOS-M and do a far better job of auto focus, please their 16-50mm kit lens is far more compact  and wider focal length then the EOS-M kit lens i.e. 24mm (Sony) vs 28mm (EOS-M) ... but if you are used to Canon menu system, you will find the EOS-M a lot more user friendly (especially the touch screen) then the Sony menu system ... personally (despite the better menu system of EOS-M), I prefer the Sony mirrorless cameras, because they have far more native lenses, great in-camera apps, slightly bigger sensor and good tilt screen that come in very handy for mirrorless cameras. 
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2014, 08:22:05 AM »