July 28, 2014, 04:47:24 AM

Author Topic: need help deciding:To canon or not to canon  (Read 3006 times)

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: need help deciding:To canon or not to canon
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 05:25:03 PM »
The Fuji looks nice, but I hope the image quality is notably superior to the X-E1's.  It could be that the copy I bought was defective, but I don't think it ever created a really sharp image, regardless of light, if the subject was more than a few yards away, and while it's true that even their RAW files have low noise, it's pretty obvious that they achieve that by applying heavy noise reduction that you can't avoid; you can even see this via dpreview's comparison tools.

The noise reduction (only in JPEG) can be somewhat modified by turning NR to -2 and increasing sharpness. As far as RAF files go, the files coming from the X Trans II are awesome for APSC.

I firmly believe that some of the issues people have with these files are from not processing them through the proper software. LR 5.3 now does a much better job than previous iterations with X Trans files albeit still not as good as photo ninja and a couple others IMO.

Anyhow, to the OP. Assuming you are willing to forego the desire to have a zoom, the X100s is by far the most well-rounded compact I have handled/owned. It is the camera I have with me day in a day out. IQ is great with the X Trans II, leaf shutter, built-in ND filter, true silent mode, and a hybrid EVF/OVF which separates it from everything else on the market. Just those few things alone in combination with each other make it very unique and versatile. It is also possible to land a used one currently for slightly under a thousand or right about there.

If you are going to opt for an ILC, based on what people are saying, the XT-1 should be rather amazing. I currently have the XE-2 and am already very happy with it. However, I will more than likely be upgrading as the XT-1 appears to build significantly on that awesomeness with it's increased AF Speed/tracking, weather sealing, tilting LCD, massive EVF, and true wifi features.

As a bonus, adapting legacy glass will be even more awesome on the XT-1 with the giant EVF that has 100% zoom window + split prism or peaking at the same time. Manual focus has never been easier on modern cam.

Only issue with the xt is that it won't fit into your price range requirement upon release.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 05:25:03 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 06:40:07 PM »
Only, there are no weather-sealed primes for these camera, or are there?

Cant speak for the others, but my own experience just recently of the Sony a7r & Zeiss 35 does impress me, very heavy rain, on the beach, shooting with the a7r/Zeiss 35, totally no issues.

I do have the Metabones for Canon Lenses but to date I've been so impressed with the Zeiss 35 & 55 I've only tried the a7r with the TSE 17, great set up, but I don't know about weather proof abilities with the Metabones, may be an issue.

You might want to have a look at Digital Revs test, check the video at around 3:40, his test wasn't with the Zeiss 35 or 55, I think it was done with the Sony Zoom, but my own experience to date indicates no issues with the Zeiss Primes on the a7r, a7 I imagine would be the same.

Hope this helps.

Sony A7 vs. A7R Hands-on Review Small | Large
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 06:44:28 PM by eml58 »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

NWPhil

• EOS M2
  • one eye; one shot - multiple misses
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 09:26:01 PM »
On the surface, those requirements read like the spec sheet of the G1X mk II. Are you sure that's not number one on your list, and this is just a last ditch attempt to see if anyone can talk you out of it?  ;)

I'd say go for it!

LOL - well, I am not a gear slut per say, as aside the lumix, I only had a brief romance with Pentax 30 years ago or so (ME-super II). The LX3 did fit the bill when I lost a canon S9?? series a few years ago. It's unusable at 800 iso and higher, not to talk about color rendition. The size was right, with plenty of control, good close-up/macro abilities, and got it cheap enough to not be afraid of carrying it up and down mountains.

What I don't like on the G1-X mk2? - in part the lack of viewfinder and for sure the very short battery life.

It's not that the G15, G16 or G1-x are out of question, but the possibility of using my current lenses it's a big draw, IF indeed the AF can work. In that case so far, Sony is ahead. $400 for the metabones  places it above what I want to spend for a casual camera (my wife has the S120, but would not be enough for me).

Then comes the Rx100II - did not like the UI that much aside offering only 28mm wide.

Has to be with a zoom for sure, and no less than 24mm.
I guess I will keep a look  on same of the new upcoming models, but still wishing in big part that an EOS M mk3 would show up mid-summer.

So, nah, Canon G1Xmk2 still not quite there, because there is so much competition on that price and capabilities range right now, but they are just released or about to - aka no real feedback/reviews available yet

meanwhile I have a dedicated IE favorites folder with 20 links or so ....
Canon shooter, but anything goes as ammunition (L, non L, Zeiss, Leica, Rokinon,Sigma)

rs

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2014, 08:21:09 AM »
On the surface, those requirements read like the spec sheet of the G1X mk II.

At this stage, downpour-sealed, great IQ and small'ish size are, in that order, my main criteria. Is the G1X2 weather-sealed and if it is, to what extent?
Sorry, my previous reply was to NWPhil.

How heavy a downpour? The Nikon AW1 might be your best bet short of a waterproof point and shoot?
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 08:54:10 AM »
How heavy a downpour? The Nikon AW1 might be your best bet short of a waterproof point and shoot?

I did not know this camera existed ... must hunt one down and have a gander.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

NWPhil

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
the AW1 look to be a nice camera...but widest zoom setting is 30mm equivalent
ITOH the P7800 was also some nice specs, but I have to say that Nikon's website sucks...sorry - slow image reloading and painfull navigation

The G15 looks very good still, but the TG850 makes a lot of sense ....however I keep going back to the latest  higher end models.
The reality is, I am going to have to compromise somewhere....

I have no interest in legacy glass, as other than a ef300mm 2.8L is, I am pretty much set
A single lens has to do it: from wide angle (24mm minimum) to mid range 70-100mm
The Sony alpha 7s are beautifull and loaded, but too close to a dslr, and a bit of an expensive rig to let me be worry-free while hiking/camping
the current ef adapters either bump the price too much, or don't allow AF
- not ready for a compact with prime unless is 24mm and/or have a easy panorama mode (sweep style)
Canon shooter, but anything goes as ammunition (L, non L, Zeiss, Leica, Rokinon,Sigma)

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 04:21:46 PM »
The Fuji looks nice, but I hope the image quality is notably superior to the X-E1's.  It could be that the copy I bought was defective, but I don't think it ever created a really sharp image, regardless of light, if the subject was more than a few yards away, and while it's true that even their RAW files have low noise, it's pretty obvious that they achieve that by applying heavy noise reduction that you can't avoid; you can even see this via dpreview's comparison tools.

The noise reduction (only in JPEG) can be somewhat modified by turning NR to -2 and increasing sharpness. As far as RAF files go, the files coming from the X Trans II are awesome for APSC.

I firmly believe that some of the issues people have with these files are from not processing them through the proper software. LR 5.3 now does a much better job than previous iterations with X Trans files albeit still not as good as photo ninja and a couple others IMO.

I processed mine with the latest versions of LR and photoninja.  Maybe I was doing something wrong, and maybe the Fuji files need rather different technique, but I didn't like the results in either, for various reasons (among other things, horrible colors in many outdoor images in photoninja that were hard to correct, and break-up when adding moderate amounts of sharpening in LR) that have never been an issue for me with m43 (Olympus), APS-C (Nikon, Pentax, Canon) or FF (Canon, Nikon, Sony).  I was very impressed, though, with the accuracy of its automatic white balance in difficult interior lighting (probably the best of any camera I've used).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2014, 04:21:46 PM »

NWPhil

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »
On the surface, those requirements read like the spec sheet of the G1X mk II. Are you sure that's not number one on your list, and this is just a last ditch attempt to see if anyone can talk you out of it?  ;)

I'd say go for it!

OK RS,
you were right.....after all.
Maybe it does not make sense buying it in pre-order, aka not waiting for price drop, but life is too short, and the clock is ticking...down.
So, yes, I pre-order the G1X mk2 at B&H.
Nothing else did made sense and come or close to what want/need within minimum compromises

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 04:38:28 PM »