November 25, 2014, 11:38:10 PM

Author Topic: Ordered 300mm 2.8 II; tips/suggestions  (Read 4378 times)

Jrnation109

• Power Shot G7X
  • Living my dream everyday
    • View Profile
Re: Ordered 300mm 2.8 II; tips/suggestions
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 02:53:57 PM »
Just on the note of lens coats, I would not bother. I shoot quite a lot of international sports events and everyone on the pitch has their camera and lens but no lens coats. None. Everyone in the stands (who are not media and where they allow them) who are using long lenses has one with a lens coat on. It always baffles me why. Just be careful with your lens, and you do not need a coat.

Its probably because the people in the stands bought those lenses for wildlife photography where lens coats make a lot more sense and, it turns out, you can also use them for sports shooting. I've seen photogs in the media pit at soccer matches here in Oregon with coated 300's and 500's as well. For dedicated sports photography, lens coats aren't necessary but don't assume people only do one kind of photography.

Agreed... My issue is the one time I borrowed a lens that had one and put the lens in my thinktank roller bag the lens coat ended up rolling up and became twisted due to the now tighter fit within my bag. Plus, I kind of want to show of the big white lens instead of covering it up. But at the end of the day, protecting my lens is what I care about the most.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 02:53:57 PM »

WPJ

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 08:29:30 PM »
I have a original IS version and love it.  I don't want to do the lens coat but I have been thinking of trying camp form, its a non stick wrap which is reusable and they have tons of colour options.

bod

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 06:53:20 AM »
I use my 300 2.8 isii for birding in the UK. I agree with all the suggestions made, but you find one more of interest. Having switched to a replacement Arca Swiss foot, I find the  Kirk SGH-1 Super Grip Handle, with Arca-Type Quick Release Mount very useful. as the replacement foot can be very slippery if you use it as a carrying handle. This handle allows you to carry the lens easily and securely. Much under-rated accessory in my humble opinion.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/555304-REG/Kirk_SGH_1_SGH_1_Super_Grip_Handle.html

Michael.

Hi Michael

As regards photographing birds with this lens could you expand please on:

• What body are you using?
  • How often are you using it with the x1.4 extender and how well does this combination work?
  • How often are you using it with the x2 extender and how well does this combination work?

Thanks

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 07:36:34 AM »
Having purchased this lens myself a few weeks ago many people were suggesting new bags, tripods, tripod heads, etc... Once I got the lens, I needed nothing! I hand-hold it primarily, so no need to upgrade the foot or anything like that. My Manfrotto ball head supports the lens just fine as-is if my tripod is used.

My Lowepro 400AW bag loads my 300 II perfectly when attached to the body (plus 1.4x III extender) as long as the hood is reversed. Along with 2-3 other lenses on top of it. Very happy about that!

So once I got the lens, that is all I needed. I guess if you want a good support system or something you would, if you don't have already, but the lens is really not bad to lug around. I used it as my walk-around on my recent trip to Florida at the amusement parks and at times hand-held it for 6+ hours straight without any issues.

If anything, I would just recommend a good strap... I like the op-tech ones, they are comfy when supporting larger body/lens combos. FWIW, I am using a 5D3+grip.

Delish

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 08:09:18 AM »
As regards photographing birds with this lens could you expand please on:

• What body are you using?
  • How often are you using it with the x1.4 extender and how well does this combination work?
  • How often are you using it with the x2 extender and how well does this combination work?

Thanks

During last summers tern photograph (BIF) my husband nailed more in focus shots with a 300 2.8 IS II with 2x III and a 1Dx than I got with my 500 f4 IS II and my 1DIV. The 300 II is really nice with a 2x III on.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »
I use my 300 2.8 isii for birding in the UK. I agree with all the suggestions made, but you find one more of interest. Having switched to a replacement Arca Swiss foot, I find the  Kirk SGH-1 Super Grip Handle, with Arca-Type Quick Release Mount very useful. as the replacement foot can be very slippery if you use it as a carrying handle. This handle allows you to carry the lens easily and securely. Much under-rated accessory in my humble opinion.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/555304-REG/Kirk_SGH_1_SGH_1_Super_Grip_Handle.html

Michael.
That's pretty cool and looks much more comfortable than holding the foot alone, but $125 -- ouch!  If you can't afford the hub caps, you can't afford the car, I guess...

Having purchased this lens myself a few weeks ago many people were suggesting new bags, tripods, tripod heads, etc... Once I got the lens, I needed nothing! I hand-hold it primarily, so no need to upgrade the foot or anything like that. My Manfrotto ball head supports the lens just fine as-is if my tripod is used.

My Lowepro 400AW bag loads my 300 II perfectly when attached to the body (plus 1.4x III extender) as long as the hood is reversed. Along with 2-3 other lenses on top of it. Very happy about that!

So once I got the lens, that is all I needed. I guess if you want a good support system or something you would, if you don't have already, but the lens is really not bad to lug around. I used it as my walk-around on my recent trip to Florida at the amusement parks and at times hand-held it for 6+ hours straight without any issues.

If anything, I would just recommend a good strap... I like the op-tech ones, they are comfy when supporting larger body/lens combos. FWIW, I am using a 5D3+grip.

I hand hold it most of the time, too, but if I'm at a sporting event and stationary, a monopod is much easier. 

Also, you really carried this around with a gripped 5DIII at the Orlando parks???  That's awesome!  I bet you had a million and one people asking you about!

Invertalon

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 09:50:31 AM »
I did! I go to those parks so often and have used every other lens by now, so I wanted a new perspective... I have done ultrawide, standard, fisheye, telephoto... So I needed super-telephoto!

I did get quite of a lot of attention, but none of it bad at all. In fact, I may get future work at one park because I had the 300 mounted and the advertising/marketing guy stopped by and talked with me. So that was cool considering it is what I focus my work on anyway!

But we went for Mardi Gras at Universal Orlando, and the performers loved it. I always got a priority of their attention over others, even when I was far away for framing.  Was quite cool!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2014, 09:50:31 AM »

acoll123

• EOS M2
  • /
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2014, 10:39:17 AM »
My Tip? Use it as much as you can! I had to sell mine to get a 200-400 but really wish I had both. Try some field sports if you don't already for practice.

Andy

Maiaibing

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Copenhagen Cycle Chic Pictures
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 12:39:37 PM »
I walk and cycle a lot with this lens and always use a Black Rapid shoulder strap for carrying. It works flawlessly and balances the body and lens very well.

Also bought a Don Zecklens Cap which I am very happy with.

Contrary to another writer above I always - always - use it with the hood on. All that glass up front and no protection? Hmmm... YMMV.

Finally, remember to microadjust. Mine needed just a twist on each of my bodies. However, almost only shooting wide open I could see it at once.

Happy Shooting!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 12:41:56 PM by Maiaibing »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 08:22:08 PM »
I walk and cycle a lot with this lens and always use a Black Rapid shoulder strap for carrying. It works flawlessly and balances the body and lens very well.

Also bought a Don Zecklens Cap which I am very happy with.

Contrary to another writer above I always - always - use it with the hood on. All that glass up front and no protection? Hmmm... YMMV.

Finally, remember to microadjust. Mine needed just a twist on each of my bodies. However, almost only shooting wide open I could see it at once.

Happy Shooting!

couldn't agree more about the black rapid strap.  canon should wake up and start including something similar with the 1dx and 5d3 instead of the current neck strap that goes unused by many.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

applecider

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 10:58:56 PM »
Two points:

Add a vote for the black rapid strap.

My hood stays on all the time, for handheld wildlife photography and casual dog walking (dog leash on one side of black rapid 1dx and lens on other).  I find that it protects the front element of the lens better than anything.  I very rarely use the canon lens cover.  Without the hood people are always wanting to feel the front glass. 

Oh yeah I also put black gaffer tape on the lip of the hood so I can rest camera and lens on surfaces without worrying about abrasion.   Lint tape help to clean the hood if it picks up white nasties.

AE-1, T90,EOS Elan 7e, EOS-M, 7D, 5D3, 1dx, ef40 2.8, ef 85 1.2ii, ef100 is 2.8 macro, ef300 2.8ii, ef400 2.8ii, ef600 is ii usm, ef8-15 f4, ef16-35 ii, ef24-70 ii, ef 24-105, ef 70-200, 2xext ii, 2xext iii, 1.4x ext iii.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 10:58:56 PM »