July 31, 2014, 05:10:42 AM

Author Topic: Lens & accessory options for Sony FE mount cameras a7 & a7R  (Read 5868 times)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
Re: Lens & accessory options for Sony FE mount cameras a7 & a7R
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 12:28:06 AM »
I'm thinking of getting the A7R and am going through a ton of information right now. Found this interesting article at diglloyd, it is worth a read:

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2013-index-12.html#20131201_2-SonyA7R-Zeiss-Leica-lens-options-support

JR, why A7R?
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2014, 12:28:06 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2014, 02:03:30 AM »
I'm thinking of getting the A7R and am going through a ton of information right now. Found this interesting article at diglloyd, it is worth a read:

http://diglloyd.com/blog/2013-index-12.html#20131201_2-SonyA7R-Zeiss-Leica-lens-options-support

JR, why A7R?

AR7 = High MP + DR.  I'm contemplating the A7R only for landscaping with the TS-E lenses.   

I am perfectly happy with my Canon system for everything else I shoot. :)
Light is language!

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2014, 10:36:04 AM »

Thanks for sharing that link ... very interesting article there about:

Samyang Builds in the Lens Adapter for Sony A7R / A7 E-Mount

Samyang has been rolling out lenses for still and video use, aggressively adding support for various lens mounts—hard to beat that kind of enthusiasm. See the review of the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 in DAP.

For the Sony A7R / A7 (Sony E mount), Samyang has essentially added a built-in extension tube to the rear of each DSLR lens. It’s like adding a lens adapter, but without the adapter and additional flange between lens and adapter. A cool idea for which Samyang deserves credit. It doesn’t optimize the lens for A7R/A7 mirrorless use, but DSLR designs should generally perform well due to a long backfocal distanc

Rienz, do you know Samyang will have AF or manual?

I think these are the same manual lenses already available for other mounts but with a built in adapter to work on Sony E mount.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 12:18:51 PM »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone in here adapted EF lenses to the A7? Seems like most of the stuff I find is for people adapting them to the 7r.

Also, kind of off topic but figured I would pose the question since there are plenty of Sony adopters in here. The rumors re the successor to the A99 seems very intriguing between the potential IBIS, same big mp sensor, and Z shift. The IBIS and Z Shift seems like they would be completely game changing. The full sized body also wouldn't be a deterrent for me since I wouldn't be looking for a small package as I am more focused on absolute best feature set and IQ regardless of dimensions. Are any of you going to consider the updated body (considering price range, etc)?

J.R.

• 1D X
  • A Speedlight Junkie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 12:44:40 PM »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone in here adapted EF when lenses to the A7? Seems like most of the stuff I find is for people adapting them to the 7r.

Hi John,

Somehow the A7 doesn't make sense to me.  A7R gives me high MP + DR  which I will use till canon comes up with its own high MP/DR camera.

I'm not sure I'm looking for a light weight camera system. I'm healthy enough to get around with my Canon system right now...  Maybe when I am 70 i'll need it. 
Light is language!

Cali_PH

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 01:09:35 PM »
For those of you considering these cameras, Focus Camera and B&H are running promotions to get $300 credit for used cameras traded in when you buy the A7 or A7r. 

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/extended-trade-in-any-used-camera-and-get-300-for-the-a7-a7r/

Rented the A7r during a trip through Utah & Arizona; think I may jump on this myself if they'll take one of the p&s I no longer use.  Will try to post some shots in the A7/A7r thread later when I get home.

JohnDizzo15

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 01:23:14 PM »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone in here adapted EF when lenses to the A7? Seems like most of the stuff I find is for people adapting them to the 7r.

Hi John,

Somehow the A7 doesn't make sense to me.  A7R gives me high MP + DR  which I will use till canon comes up with its own high MP/DR camera.

I'm not sure I'm looking for a light weight camera system. I'm healthy enough to get around with my Canon system right now...  Maybe when I am 70 i'll need it.

My curiosity lies in whether the AF would be any faster if the EF lenses were coupled with the PDAF of the a7 since the 7r is without it. I am personally probably in the same boat as you with wanting maximum res, DR and sharpness if I were to add one of these to the bag.

I was looking for a lightweight system when I picked up the xe2 but decided that I am good with just the x100s most of the time when I need a light pick and up and go cam. I've decided that my wants now are for a system that just gives me maximum IQ at the lower ranges for when I'm shooting things that give me the time to do so regardless of size (but still keeping price in mind  ;D).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 01:23:14 PM »

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 02:24:35 PM »
For those of you considering these cameras, Focus Camera and B&H are running promotions to get $300 credit for used cameras traded in when you buy the A7 or A7r. 

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/extended-trade-in-any-used-camera-and-get-300-for-the-a7-a7r/

Rented the A7r during a trip through Utah & Arizona; think I may jump on this myself if they'll take one of the p&s I no longer use.  Will try to post some shots in the A7/A7r thread later when I get home.

I bought from Focus Camera because that $300 for any camera trade-in, even a non-working point-and-shoot, is stackable on top of the $650 ($200 without flash) Sony instant rebate, leading to $950 total off the package (body+lens+sony flash).  Granted, that Sony flash is the HVL60M, which has known overheating issues similar to Nikon SB900, but it is still a top-of-the-line Sony flash and should work fine for casual use without continuous flashes.  If needing continuous flashing, SPTS will repair it for $100.  http://www.sp-ts.com/

One last thing, Focus Camera website does NOT list a package with body+flash+FE55mm, only one with FE35mm.  So if you want the 55 mm in package, call focus camera and point them to their eBay listing package and order that one.   
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291079850904?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2014, 12:19:20 AM »
If I bite on the Sony A7R, I would want to get a Nikor 14-24, since the Canon 16-35 is not exactly the sharpest lens on the block.

Does anyone experience with this combo? Or any reviews on to adapt the 14-24 to the Sony?

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 06:02:08 AM »
Just out of curiosity, has anyone in here adapted EF lenses to the A7? Seems like most of the stuff I find is for people adapting them to the 7r.

Also, kind of off topic but figured I would pose the question since there are plenty of Sony adopters in here. The rumors re the successor to the A99 seems very intriguing between the potential IBIS, same big mp sensor, and Z shift. The IBIS and Z Shift seems like they would be completely game changing. The full sized body also wouldn't be a deterrent for me since I wouldn't be looking for a small package as I am more focused on absolute best feature set and IQ regardless of dimensions. Are any of you going to consider the updated body (considering price range, etc)?
Yes, I have used all of my EF lenses, (as well as Sigma 15-500 OS, Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC and Rokinon 24 f/3.5 T/S lenses) with the metabones adapter on my Sony a7.
It auto focuses on all of those lenses (except for 50 f/1.4 ... and Rokinon is manual anyway) ... all of my lenses autofocused as quick/slow as the EOS-M ... on one of the Sony a7 threads I shared my experience using those lenses as well as Kenko extension tubes (coupled with metabones) ... the good thing about the metabones+Sony a7 combo is that it is very quick to focus, if you use the focus peaking feature.

No matter how low the price is for the updated a99, I would not touch it with a ten foot pole ... I do not like Sony SLT cameras and I really like my Canon system for everything ... but I will buy the Sony a6000, when it is available at B&H, for its compact size ... till then I really like my Sony a7.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 06:04:47 AM by Rienzphotoz »
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2014, 02:14:45 PM »
I think I am returning my A7R.  I suppose mostly I had to see for myself that the sensor DR advantage really did not make much subjective IQ difference to me (from my 5D III) for the types of photos I tend to take. 

I tend to shoot a lot of events, portraits, some landscape, a lot of night/evening walkaround, and I simply did not see enough difference to keep the A7R.  The fact Sony has hopeless support for TTL wireless triggers and the speedlite HVL60M overheats also severely hampers my event shooting.  The FE55mm is very sharp, but there is no way Sony can come up with a native FE lens collection that comes anywhere close to my current L glass party, especially the T-SE 24mm, 85L, 70-200 f/2.8 II, 24-70 f/2.8 II, etc. 

If Sony can come up with a working top-level speedlite (hopefully RT), support wireless TTL triggers, improve AF speed and introduce touchscreen (touch to focus), and improve the EVF (still nowhere as good as OVF IMO), then A7R Mk II may be in consideration.

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2014, 09:55:03 PM »

I've used the 24-105L, 50mm and 85 1.8 on both bodies and - without doing anything resembling scientific testing - am inclined to conclude that they work equally well, the only difference being what you would expect from the resolution difference.  Some have reported worse AF performance on the A7r than the A7 (which might seem intuitive given the different focusing systems of the two bodies), but I didn't notice any difference whether in bright light or dim.

The successor of the A99 does sound appealing, especially because of the IBIS and the wider range of native lenses, but while I once thought body size didn't matter much, I've been spoiled (or corrupted, or whatever it is) by the small size of the A7s and the 35mm/55mm primes, which would presumably need an adapter to use on an A99 (and I would want to as they're probably superior to any A-mount native AF lenses.  But won't the successor still not be mirrorless but, instead SLT?  That's less appealing as the mechanism diverts light from the sensor and results in worse low light performance than you usually get from FF sensors - or at least that's been the case so far with SLT Alphas.  So I'm not so sure.  Besides, while I'm so fond of some of my Canon lenses (esp. the 70-300L, which doesn't seem to have a real counterpart in any other system), I'm disinclined to forego a FF Canon body.  If only Canon could conjure up an EF mount mirrorless FF body with IBIS....

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2014, 03:25:59 AM »
I think I am returning my A7R.  I suppose mostly I had to see for myself that the sensor DR advantage really did not make much subjective IQ difference to me (from my 5D III) for the types of photos I tend to take. 

I tend to shoot a lot of events, portraits, some landscape, a lot of night/evening walkaround, and I simply did not see enough difference to keep the A7R.  The fact Sony has hopeless support for TTL wireless triggers and the speedlite HVL60M overheats also severely hampers my event shooting.  The FE55mm is very sharp, but there is no way Sony can come up with a native FE lens collection that comes anywhere close to my current L glass party, especially the T-SE 24mm, 85L, 70-200 f/2.8 II, 24-70 f/2.8 II, etc. 

If Sony can come up with a working top-level speedlite (hopefully RT), support wireless TTL triggers, improve AF speed and introduce touchscreen (touch to focus), and improve the EVF (still nowhere as good as OVF IMO), then A7R Mk II may be in consideration.
The issues you've raised are some of the reasons why I did not go for a7R, instead I went for the a7 ... I would have got the a7R if there was some good UWA lens with great quality that can beat the EF 16-35 f/2.8 L II ... the ZEISS 24-70 f/4 OSS that I have does not even take full advantage of the 24MP sensor of my a7, so I don't see it taking advantage of the 36MP sensor of the a7R ...  also I don't see Sony coming up with any zoom lenses that can take advantage of the 36MP sensor ... but when I bought the a7 I was fully aware that, for now, it would only be a novelty camera (which I can carry around everyday for general walk-around photography) and not something that I could use for any situation ... but the a7 is one camera that is now, always in my office bag along with a Sony HVL-F43M flash (which seems to be a better "fit" on this camera) ... originally I wanted to go for the HVL-60M but gave up the idea after trying it on the a7, it just looked ridiculously huge on this small camera. 
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:41:28 AM by Rienzphotoz »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2014, 03:25:59 AM »

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2014, 02:15:48 PM »
Sony HVL-F43M flash (which seems to be a better "fit" on this camera) ... originally I wanted to go for the HVL-60M but gave up the idea after trying it on the a7, it just looked ridiculously huge on this small camera.

Even F43M would be awkward on camera, and I hate that flash-on-camera look.  Even with my 5D III, if at all possible, I shoot 580EX II off-camera on gorilla pod/portable stand via either Yongnuo 622 or Canon 90EX (smaller venue) in TTL mode.  Looking to do the same with Sony A7R, I was shocked find NO TTL wireless triggers available.  I then looked at the smallest Sony flash HVL20M as TTL-trigger, but many other people must be thinking the same because they go for full-price on fleabay.  I don't like to miss shots by trying manual wireless triggers, but I tried my Yongnuo RF603 manual trigger on the Sony A7R, but Sony's new "standard" hotshoe really isn't standard and RF603 wouldn't fire.   

The strobist limitations along with the effort it takes to move around the flex focus point really didn't let me enjoy the shooting experience, e.g. having to push a button in awkward location to activate the AF point, then using the two stiff dials, one in front of camera and one behind (!), to move point vertically and horizontally really takes away from the joy of shooting and simply too slow to move the AF point.  A7R really needs a 4-way joystick like 5D III does. 

And it seems like some new "problem" is reported weekly for A7R, e.g. shutter vibration, "light leak," lossy RAW, not really weather-sealed, etc.  The lossy sony RAW thing especially bugged me in the back of mind, especially since this kind of thing really shouldn't happen if you are aiming for the semi/professional photography market.  It's also something Sony can fix *IF* they wanted to, but they don't seem willing to do so, just like they are not willing to admit to the FVL60M flash overheating problem after 20 shots. 

Oh, well, it saves me $3K, which I will save up for the next Canon purchase.  All right, Canon, you still got me, with your "poor DR" and all  ::)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:20:31 PM by drjlo »

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2014, 12:49:09 AM »
And it seems like some new "problem" is reported weekly for A7R, e.g. shutter vibration, "light leak," lossy RAW, not really weather-sealed, etc.  The lossy sony RAW thing especially bugged me in the back of mind, especially since this kind of thing really shouldn't happen if you are aiming for the semi/professional photography market.  It's also something Sony can fix *IF* they wanted to, but they don't seem willing to do so, just like they are not willing to admit to the FVL60M flash overheating problem after 20 shots. 
According to sonyalpharumors, a firmware update is due for release for the a7/a7R on the 19 March 2014, and they claim that the firmware update will bring "image quality improvement" ... maybe they will fix the RAW issue ... below is the content of that post:

Sony Japan officially announced a new A7 and A7r firmware release for March 19! And these are the improvements (translated from Japanese):

- support for the focus hold button of the new SEL 70-200G lens
- Start up time reduction
- Image quality improvement
- Adds Live view grading and smooth reflection application. Improves “Time Laps” APP.

I am now wondering what they mean with “Improved Image quality”!

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 01:07:30 AM by Rienzphotoz »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2014, 12:49:09 AM »