August 29, 2014, 12:12:28 PM

Author Topic: Canon DSLR Announcement in March? [CR1]  (Read 12941 times)

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
Re: Canon DSLR Announcement in March? [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 02:23:35 AM »
Yes, it's likely that the next camera is launched T6i. I just hope it has the same sensor 70D.

Canon is shrewd when it comes to milking profits from sensors.  Consider that the T5i/700D did not get the latest version of the 18 MP APS-C sensor.  The T5i's sensor has Hybrid CMOS AF (same sensor as the T4i and the EOS M), whereas the sensor used in the SL1/100D and the EOS M2 has Hybrid CMOS II AF (where the phase AF area covers 80% of the frame vs. just the central portion).  That allows Canon to release another T#i-series body with a 'new' (to the line) sensor (but not the 70D's sensor).  Put Digic 6 in there, and they're good to go with the T6i/750D.

I doubt it. A 70D body already costs barely more than the current rebel when it is released. What is more likely to happen is that the rebel line will not be updated and the 70D will take that place in the lineup, since it is about the same price point. The top end APS-C will be taken by the new 7D2 (or whatever they call it), and will probably have advanced video features that would allow it to compete in the same space as the GH4. The last of the three speculated DSLRs would then be a full frame camera, replacing either the 6D or 5D3 (probably they would do the 6D first). Full frame cameras have not been updated for some time and are due, if they are to remain competitive.

Canon is in the business of making money, they need their revenue stream flowing and the way to do that is to convince people that it is time to update their bodies. An iterative update will not cut it in that regard, so we can expect something substantial in higher end cameras. Since they have already said that they are going to be focussing on video, what will probably happen are a set of new cameras will incremental upgrades in still capabilities and large upgrades in video capabilities. That is where the growth potential is, and (unless they are stupid) they will capitalize on the current interest in 4K and high quality output to drive that process. While the average Joe might not care about 4K and video quality, the target group that buys their high end cameras most certainly is.

So, at the low end the new Rebel T5 will provide good quality stills for the average Joe (who doesn't care that much about video quality). The 70D will fill the spot in the lineup previously occupied by the Rebel Txi series, with a price drop of 200-300 dollars to get it in the sweet spot. The high end of the consumer market will be targeted by the 7D2 which will have excellent APS-C stills capability and high quality camcorder like capabilities for 1080p video. The prosumer market will be targeted by something like a 6D2/5D4 which will provide excellent full frame stills and high quality 4K capabilities (similar to the GH4). That way they could revamp the entire line and provide something for each of the four main market segments to drive growth.

At the professional level they introduce the new cinema EOS models to address the dedicated film makers. There will be a high end model (8-10K range) for the real professionals, and a lower end model (3-4K range) for the wannabe amateurs.

In addition, in the camcorder segment there will be new 4K camcorders, a semi professional model similar to the HA 20/25 and a consumer model similar to the Vixia HFG30. One or two professional big bucks camcorders will be introduced to address that market segment as well.

If they do this over the course of the next 9-12 months they will revamp pretty much every market segment and keep them competitive, particularly with respect to the changes that video is currently undergoing.

That is my prediction of what will happen.

Where does the SL1 fit into this model?

I don't know about you but the 70D is way more expensive than any rebel I've ever seen, even when newly released, where I live. Also they are targeted at two different types of photographers. I think the rebel / txi line will continue on. It's a big seller for Canon. It's very much their bread and butter camera. The T5 is aimed at the budget conscious and IMO doesn't replace a rebel. It's a great camera though for the price. The SL1 fills the handbag and compact travel needs. Neither of those are a good replacement for a solid, full functional mid sized DSLR for the beginner looking to get into photography. The 70D probably seems too advanced to some of those types of people. That would be a tough choice - a very low budget DSLR, or a $1000 semi pro model. As a newbie or casual shooter I'd want something in between.

The rebel has always been that perfect balance of awesome features and performance at a reasonable price level. I doubt Canon would disturb that strategy.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2014, 02:23:35 AM »

Tugela

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2014, 04:13:51 AM »
Where I live a 70D body costs about $1250. On initial release a Rebel Txi usually costs around $1100 with its crappy kit lens (they cost a lot less at the moment, but that is because the T5i is relatively old now). If what you say is correct, and they released a T6i with marginal improvements over the T5i, then it is going to have a tough time competing with the 70D. Who in their right mind would buy a T6i when for a little bit more they could get a much better camera in the 70D? I think one of the problems with Canon's DSLR lineup is that they have too many models on the market. It is not really economical to support future development of all of them.

It is much simpler for Canon to reduce the price of the 70D one or two hundred dollars than it is to start producing a new camera.

Floder3

• SX50 HS
  • Canon EOS 50D
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2014, 05:29:25 AM »
Well i think i´m not in the topic as you guys. So here is my question:
Why shouldn´t there be an 5D update like the 800 to 800e?

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2014, 08:34:20 AM »
Currently 5D Mark III is the camera best selling in its category. This does not encourage Canon to launch a replacement this year. Maybe appear one "5D Mark IV" seen in 2015. On the other hand, Nikon D800 is not a great sales success, much less D800E. This forces Nikon update their models as quickly as possible, to avoid losing market share. Suppose Canon make now an "5D Mark IV" much better than the Mark III. It could steal sales from more expensive 1DX. In addition, Canon 1DX sells more of Nikon D4. Because of that Nikon did an update with D4S to stay competitive.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:47:07 AM by ajfotofilmagem »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2014, 08:38:55 AM »
Currently 5D mark iii is the camera best selling in its category. This does not encourage Canon to launch a replacement this year. Maybe appear one "5D mark IV" seen in 2015. On the other hand, Nikon D800 is not a great sales success, much less D800E. This forces Nikon update their models as quickly as possible, to avoid losing market share.
The D800E is not an upgrade of D800. It is a D800 without the AA filter. Everything else about them is the same.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2014, 08:51:05 AM »
Currently 5D mark iii is the camera best selling in its category. This does not encourage Canon to launch a replacement this year. Maybe appear one "5D mark IV" seen in 2015. On the other hand, Nikon D800 is not a great sales success, much less D800E. This forces Nikon update their models as quickly as possible, to avoid losing market share.
The D800E is not an upgrade of D800. It is a D800 without the AA filter. Everything else about them is the same.
I did not say it D800E would be an update of D800, since they were launched at the same time. However, I imagine there will be only one version of the hypothetical D900, possibly without AA filter.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 08:55:17 AM »
I did not say it D800E would be an update of D800, since they were launched at the same time. However, I imagine there will be only one version of the hypothetical D900, possibly without AA filter.
Your words: "Why shouldn´t there be an 5D update like the 800 to 800e?"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2014, 08:55:17 AM »

quiquae

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »
Where I live a 70D body costs about $1250. On initial release a Rebel Txi usually costs around $1100 with its crappy kit lens (they cost a lot less at the moment, but that is because the T5i is relatively old now).

Maybe Canon does things differently in some regions, but where I live (Japan) T5i's "crappy kit lenses" are exactly the same as the ones that come with the 70D: 18-55mm STM and 55-250 STM, neither of which are crappy at all.

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2014, 09:10:12 AM »
Dear friend Tron. Just a misunderstanding. You responded by making a quote from my message, and referred to a statement from the new member of CR "Floder3" which seemed to affirm D800E would be an upgrade. I re-read, and understand that you fixed an incorrect idea of ​​"Floder3". All cleared up now.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2014, 09:11:57 AM »
Dear friend Tron. Just a misunderstanding. You responded by making a quote from my message, and referred to a statement from the new member of CR "Floder3" which seemed to affirm D800E would be an upgrade. I re-read, and understand that you fixed an incorrect idea of ​​"Floder3". All cleared up now.
Very true! I should have made bold the part of the text I was referring to. Sorry for that!

Floder3

• SX50 HS
  • Canon EOS 50D
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2014, 09:44:05 AM »
Very true! I should have made bold the part of the text I was referring to. Sorry for that!
Thanks for the quick response :)
Now there is nothing in my way to buy the 5d3...
And sorry for my incorrect assumption, as i said i´m not in this topic as you :)

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2014, 09:59:19 AM »
Where I live a 70D body costs about $1250. On initial release a Rebel Txi usually costs around $1100 with its crappy kit lens (they cost a lot less at the moment, but that is because the T5i is relatively old now). If what you say is correct, and they released a T6i with marginal improvements over the T5i, then it is going to have a tough time competing with the 70D. Who in their right mind would buy a T6i when for a little bit more they could get a much better camera in the 70D? I think one of the problems with Canon's DSLR lineup is that they have too many models on the market. It is not really economical to support future development of all of them.

It is much simpler for Canon to reduce the price of the 70D one or two hundred dollars than it is to start producing a new camera.

So what you're saying is Canon should cut the price of the 70D by about $200 or more and not release a new T6i?

Great. Now they're selling the 70D close to break even thus losing profit and to top it off they have no income at all from what used to be a best seller.

Development costs for their rebel line are quite low. You said yourself "... with marginal improvements". How much development do you think is going on in these rebels?! The developing has already been done. The cameras use tech filtered down from the older high end models. A little spit and polish, add a few new creative filters and increase the model number accordingly and voila! A T6i is born! Sit back and enjoy as profits go up!

People will buy it simply because it's newer. Others will wait until the price drops. Either way it will sell.

5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 10:06:24 AM »
Thanks for the quick response :)
Now there is nothing in my way to buy the 5d3...
And sorry for my incorrect assumption, as i said i´m not in this topic as you :)
Go on and enjoy it  :)

Having sold my 5D2, I ordered a second 5D3  :)  :)  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2014, 10:06:24 AM »

thedman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2014, 11:42:33 AM »
Really hope some of these upcoming announcements are of interest to professionals. Seems like their last 10 announcements have been a new Powershot, or new cheap kit lens.

SwampYankee

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2014, 12:34:25 PM »
I own a 5DIII and love it but I shot with a Sony 7R this weekend and the images were just better.  Sharper by a wide margin.  I make big prints and it really shows there.  Maybe I just had a good day and the camera had nothing to do with it?
Interesting! Although I do not intend to change my hardware (I just ordered a second 5DIII) could you care to elaborate please? (for example did you focus using LV in both models, you used same lens, same aperture, tripod, same PP?)

I always wondered why the 22mp raw processing of 5D3 is so slower than the 21mp raw processing of 5D2. Combining this with old case where DPP was not producing sharp pictures - THAT HAS BEEN CORRECTED WITH AN UPDATE - I wonder whether a possibly strong AA filter has something to do with it (just wondering, NOT knowing...)

Just an informal photowalk. around lower Manhattan  With the 5DIII my usual lens for this type of thing is a 24-105L f4  On the Sony I used the 28-70mm F3.5-5.6  kit lens.  It's an area I know and photograph well so I was using the Sony under real life conditions (for me) and could compare to similar days out with the Canon.  Mostly full auto.  I like AV but the lens on the Sony was not fast so I just used Auto and RAW.  I didn't care for the menus, and that's not because I am unfamiliar.  Fuji has a great menu system you can pick up in an hour.  This was not a formal test, just a test of the way I use my camera every day.  Sony RAWs were far, far sharper than the best my 5D3 has ever put out....and It has put out some great ones.
5DIII | 70-200 IS F4L | 24-105L |50 1.8 I |1002.8L | Tokina 16-28 2.8 |600EX

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2014, 12:34:25 PM »