June 19, 2018, 06:35:25 PM

Author Topic: EOS 7D Mark II Coming in March? [CR1]  (Read 35099 times)

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
Re: EOS 7D Mark II Coming in March? [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2014, 02:19:02 PM »
Lord Lucan has been spotted with a  prototype ;)

Seriously, I find it hard to imagine what the spec. could possibly be that will position it significantly better than a 70D without making it as expensive as a 5D4oops 3?

Canon have manoeuvred the xxD line to allow a higher end model that will still sit under the FF 6D in retail price ( or eventual street price). The xxD has lost the 'full' EOS ergonomics which have now become high end ergonomics.

The 6D is of the same castrated philosophy of the newer xxD line, although in this case Canon have been quite clever in making the ergonomics of the 6D annoying enough to needle the user into upgrading to a 5D III, thus selling the consumer two expensive cameras rather than just one.

I predict the 7DII will gain the joystick et al, lose the pop up flash. It may introduce a new, not necessarily higher mp sensor, just as the original 7D did. I wonder if Canon would have the courage to go slightly less mp but much improved high ISO performance, speed etc. Either way I'm guessing it will be a fast action camera for pros on a budget.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2014, 02:19:02 PM »

CarlMillerPhoto

• EOS 80D
« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2014, 03:27:31 PM »
"Hey guys, Canon Rumors has been saying a 7D Mark II is a couple months out from an announcement for like 3 years now. Think we should actually make one?"

"Ug. Ya, probably."

-Canon, last week.
My photography equipment goes here, apparently.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2014, 04:04:15 PM »
The 6D is of the same castrated philosophy of the newer xxD line, although in this case Canon have been quite clever in making the ergonomics of the 6D annoying enough to needle the user into upgrading to a 5D III, thus selling the consumer two expensive cameras rather than just one.

I'm not in the big budget platinum club so I never tried these, but I'd still disagree. I like the lower size/weight and absolutely love the "right hand only" control of my 60d and 6d, and you can customize much more than Canon intended with Magic Lantern. Mixing both concepts might not be a good idea, so flagship 7d will go with premium 5d3 - but given just looking at the usability the limited amount of af points (and usability) doesn't really necessitate a joystick.

GMCPhotographics

• EOS 5DS R
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2014, 04:22:43 PM »
In the grand scheme of things I would rather the 7D-II to arrive perfect, rather than soon.

With that said, I've got travel plans this summer, I want the camera  :-)

A 7D-II will not particularly change the look and feel of your holiday photos. That can easily be served using any of Canon's current line up. You may want a 7DII for your holiday, but it's an emotional self imposed deadline and will only prompt further anxiety for your self. Enjoy your kit, shoot lots of lovely photos and upgrade when the mkII comes out. Buy it because you can, but please don't attach an emotional artificial deadline. It will only cause you self inflicted pain ;-D

In the mean time, there flies a pig with a unicorn on it's back...or was that a 100-400 and 35IIL?

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2014, 04:35:04 PM »

I'm not in the big budget platinum club so I never tried these, but I'd still disagree. I like the lower size/weight and absolutely love the "right hand only" control of my 60d and 6d, and you can customize much more than Canon intended with Magic Lantern. Mixing both concepts might not be a good idea, so flagship 7d will go with premium 5d3 - but given just looking at the usability the limited amount of af points (and usability) doesn't really necessitate a joystick.

I was being a little tongue-in-cheek with my 6D comment. I agree that the size, weight and fit in your hand is excellent. However I'm not just referring to the joystick; the flash compensation control on the 5D ( and up to 50D in the xxD line) works really well - couldn't be better for me. In comparison the 6D is just annoying.

I think it is clear Canon have created a demarkation of the xxD to allow for a top end model, in the same way we have xxD controls on the 6D. For this reason I'm pretty sure the new 7DII will have 'top end' control interface and be about 50% more expensive than the 70D. This would put it just below the 6D: to use current UK prices including VAT - 70D = £858, 6D = 1379. Add 50% to the current 70D price and voila ! - you have £1287. Job done for Canon.

Your point about 'not being in the big platinum club' is exactly my point. In the days of the 40 and 50D you didn't have to spend a small fortune to get those ergonomics. Now you do. It's not development, it's crippling.

I bet our friends in the States are laughing their socks of at our European prices  >:(

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 04:51:52 PM by Sporgon »

Niki

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2014, 05:05:18 PM »
"Hey guys, Canon Rumors has been saying a 7D Mark II is a couple months out from an announcement for like 3 years now. Think we should actually make one?"

"Ug. Ya, probably."

-Canon, last week.

+1

canon cannot afford a loser…with all the new features coming out in other cameras…4k etc…they must be scrambling

unfocused

• Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 05:08:23 PM »

I was being a little tongue-in-cheek with my 6D comment. I agree that the size, weight and fit in your hand is excellent. However I'm not just referring to the joystick; the flash compensation control on the 5D ( and up to 50D in the xxD line) works really well - couldn't be better for me. In comparison the 6D is just annoying.

I think it is clear Canon have created a demarkation of the xxD to allow for a top end model, in the same way we have xxD controls on the 6D. For this reason I'm pretty sure the new 7DII will have 'top end' control interface and be about 50% more expensive than the 70D. This would put it just below the 6D: to use current UK prices including VAT - 70D = £858, 6D = 1379. Add 50% to the current 70D price and voila ! - you have £1287. Job done for Canon.

I agree and frankly, their little trick worked on me. After using a 7D for about three years, I was sorely tempted to try the 6D but just couldn't get past the controls. Ultimately, I bit the bullet on the 5D III – which I'm sure was exactly what Canon had in mind. (And, lest you think that all Americans are wealthy, I'm still paying for that little splurge and expect to be for quite some time)

Of course the controls weren't the only factor, but they were definitely a consideration. Combined with the autofocus it was enough to tip the scales. In fact, I even find some of the minor differences between the 5D and 7D annoying at times as this old dog isn't fond of learning new tricks.

I fully expect that the 7DII will have just enough features and just enough similarities to the 5DIII to sway me away from a XXD. It's not for nothing that Canon outsells and out-profits their competitors.

I bet our friends in the States are laughing their socks off at our European prices  >:(

Not laughing so much as scratching our heads. If only hotels, airlines and restaurants followed that same practice of essentially equating $1 to 1Euro. Then I'd be able to visit more often. On the other hand, every time I read this forum I am humiliated by the knowledge that our culture and educational system has left most of us able to communicate in only a single language – and often quite poorly at that.  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2014, 05:08:23 PM »

thepancakeman

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • If at first you don't succeed, don't try skydiving
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2014, 05:31:16 PM »
canon cannot afford a loser

Another loser like...?

zim

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2014, 05:33:07 PM »

+1 hope your right about that.
And if your willing to go grey that would probably be about £1094 (70D - £729 grey)

Interestingly the 7D is currently at £1029 (bricks and mortar) making a 7D2 at £1289 look like a real bargin even with quite modest on paper improvements say 1 stop better ISO performance, 5D3 quiet mode and AF without the jitters. I say on paper because I think that in the real world that would be a hell of a good camera!

On the other hand....

First pic of Nessie taken with a Canon 7D2.... Scientists are sceptic about the authenticity of the 7D2  :P

StudentOfLight

• EOS 5DS R
  • I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2014, 05:40:13 PM »

Your point about 'not being in the big platinum club' is exactly my point. In the days of the 40 and 50D you didn't have to spend a small fortune to get those ergonomics. Now you do. It's not development, it's crippling.

I bet our friends in the States are laughing their socks of at our European prices  >:(

What I do is customize the "SET" button to be a FEC button.
You will find the setting under C.Fn III: Operations/Other, Option 5 is custom controls

Fantasy Gear:
TS-E: 45mm f/2.8 L,  EF: 40mm f/0.8,  100mm f/1.4,  18-28mm f/2, 28-85mm f/2, 
EF with 1.4xInt: 100-300mm f/4 ,  500mm f/5.6 L

tron

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2014, 07:07:49 PM »

I bet our friends in the States are laughing their socks off at our European prices  >:(

Not laughing so much as scratching our heads. If only hotels, airlines and restaurants followed that same practice of essentially equating $1 to 1Euro. Then I'd be able to visit more often. On the other hand, every time I read this forum I am humiliated by the knowledge that our culture and educational system has left most of us able to communicate in only a single language – and often quite poorly at that.  :)
True, Euro/Dollar rate works both ways but somehow prices for photo equipment remain high in Europe no matter the rates  >:(  >:(  >:(

Mark I just saw the bird photos at your site. Impressive! How did you persuade your bird models to pose?  ;D

distant.star

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2014, 07:27:44 PM »
I'm amused to realize that after waiting some YEARS for a 7D2, I've lost interest.

After a year with a 5D3, I can't imagine what they could offer me in a 7D package.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 09:08:06 PM by distant.star »
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

tron

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2014, 07:35:47 PM »
I amused to realize that after waiting some YEARS for a 7D2, I've lost interest.

After a year with a 5D3, I can't imagine what they could offer me in a 7D package.
My first DSLR was a 40D. When it was stolen (with many lenses  >:( ) I got 5DMkII. Now I have a 5DMkIII and ordered a 2nd one. I am not going back to APS-C...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2014, 07:35:47 PM »

-Jarred-

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2014, 09:36:24 PM »
I'm another who gave up waiting and got a 5DIII yesterday. Canon must be laughing their asses off hah. Still, fairly happy with the desicion!
7D Mark II | 50mm f/1.8 STM

jrista

• EOL
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 10:48:26 PM »
... my only fear is what most CR headlines will be about once it's actually released, maybe the rumored 5d4?

Maybe the main page headlines.  The forum topics will mostly be about how bad the IQ of the 7DII will be, due to poor DR at low ISO, FPN, etc...all before its even released.  Once it hits store shelves, Aglet will take one shot with the lens cap on, push the exposure four stops, and declare the 7DII to be DOA, which will lead to the inevitable proliferation of predictions of Canon's imminent demise.   

On a serious note, if the 7DII is Nessie, what does that make the 100-400 II?  A Sasquatch-Yeti-Martian hybrid living in Area 51?
Now that I have a long lens, I need a new body for my quest to take a picture of Bigfoot. Since the naysayers will undoubtably pronounce the af and iq as garbage, this will be the perfect camera. After all, who wants a picture of Bigfoot that isn't out of focus?

LOL.

+1 and +1, one for each! :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 21, 2014, 10:48:26 PM »