July 26, 2014, 01:55:15 PM

Author Topic: $4 Million Photograph  (Read 11480 times)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
Re: $4 Million Photograph
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 11:41:29 AM »
I don't know Gursky or anything about him (or her). (Oh, I don't know anything about "art" either.) But I'd bet my first coffee of the day that he has an MFA.

From all I've seen, if you have a camera and the MFA degree, you're an artist. If you only have the camera, you're just a photographer. Actual outcomes seem irrelevant.

Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2014, 11:41:29 AM »

starflux

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2014, 11:42:39 AM »
I hope the picture you posted is not the original Gursky, because a huge portion of the lower right corner is very obviously clone-stamped.

Oh it is def. a bad photoshop job... see it in the original image... check out the large version at this link and you can easily see the same grass pattern repeated in lower right corner...

http://c4gallery.com/artist/database/andreas-gursky/andreas-gursky-the-rhein-II.jpg

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2014, 11:44:55 AM »
I hope the picture you posted is not the original Gursky, because a huge portion of the lower right corner is very obviously clone-stamped.

Oh it is def. a bad photoshop job... see it in the original image... check out the large version at this link and you can easily see the same grass pattern repeated in lower right corner...

http://c4gallery.com/artist/database/andreas-gursky/andreas-gursky-the-rhein-II.jpg

...and yet he left some orange piece of garbage near the water and a set of stairs(?) on the opposite bank in the photo.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

AcutancePhotography

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2014, 11:46:21 AM »
I guess if the purchaser is happy paying 4 mil for this, so be it.  To each his own.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

Policar

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2014, 11:48:35 AM »
Conceptually it's kind of boring (though at least it has a concept), but the technique and composition are better than anything I've seen posted on this forum... by far. Gursky's other work is cold, but for what it is... excellent.

Price is insane, but diminishing returns when it comes to the best.

I don't see how outcome is irrelevant... Gursky (who's working on 8x10, btw, and whose skill as a photographer technically and artistically is incredible) does amazing work. Google image search his prints. They're cold, formal, technical, kind of banal in terms of subject, but for what they are they're beyond reproach. $4 million is ridiculous, though, but what isn't. Most expensive wine surely isn't worth it either.

Cloning out some stuff and not other stuff isn't about cleaning up the image, it's about the composition as a whole. I feel like people here are so caught up on technique (ironic since few of your can shoot 8x10) they ignore the concept and execution of an excellent photograph. This isn't my favorite Gursky and his style isn't my favorite style (again, it's cold) but the guy is a freaking master.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 12:02:21 PM by Policar »

robinlamkie

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2014, 12:27:06 PM »
Not very relevant subject here.  Did he use a Canon?  Did the photographer set the price?  Would you hire a good photographer who is a bad art critic?
No, No, Obviously

Vivid Color

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 12:54:51 PM »
As an economist, I'd like to point out that there is the market price for something and then there is its non-market value. The terms price and value are often used interchangeably and for the most part, that's ok, but it can lead to confusion if people start equating price with value or worth.

I'd also like to note that no one person/entity sets a price. They can offer something for sale at a price, and someone can accept at that price, but the price is "set" by the two parties agreeing to the price and, moreover, the cost of production and skill that went into the object being sold may have nothing to do with the price.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2014, 12:54:51 PM »

photonius

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2014, 02:19:24 PM »

...and yet he left some orange piece of garbage near the water and a set of stairs(?) on the opposite bank in the photo.

that's the art part....  :)

troy19

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2014, 02:23:13 PM »
Some years ago I (do not know why) I took a course named: Research-creative-in-art-technology. The teacher was graduated in fine arts, and had good skills in painting, drawing and art history, but knew nothing of photography or video (art technology?).

She is a fan of Duchamp, which I hate, and in a lesson I said that in my opinion: "Conceptual art is the refuge of the incompetent". She did not like what I said, but survived.

I learned about art history and joked acrylic painting and drawing. At the end of the course, I was photographing the work of colleagues in the exhibition, and the teacher asked my camera (Canon SLR + color negative film + Sigma 24-70mm). Then she asked me: "Where is the zoom?" I looked at her amazed and showed the rubber ring on the lens.

Some years later, my art teacher was arrested for murdering his sister stabbed in the back. I was playing with fire and did not know. Today I say: "Conceptual art is the refuge of the incompetent and crazy". :o

Now that's a good story. You're a lucky man surviving. Guess her sister repeated what you said about conceptual art and that was too much for her ...

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2014, 03:08:01 PM »
Some years ago I (do not know why) I took a course named: Research-creative-in-art-technology. The teacher was graduated in fine arts, and had good skills in painting, drawing and art history, but knew nothing of photography or video (art technology?).
She is a fan of Duchamp, which I hate, and in a lesson I said that in my opinion: "Conceptual art is the refuge of the incompetent". She did not like what I said, but survived.
I learned about art history and joked acrylic painting and drawing. At the end of the course, I was photographing the work of colleagues in the exhibition, and the teacher asked my camera (Canon SLR + color negative film + Sigma 24-70mm). Then she asked me: "Where is the zoom?" I looked at her amazed and showed the rubber ring on the lens.
Some years later, my art teacher was arrested for murdering his sister stabbed in the back. I was playing with fire and did not know. Today I say: "Conceptual art is the refuge of the incompetent and crazy". :o
Now that's a good story. You're a lucky man surviving. Guess her sister repeated what you said about conceptual art and that was too much for her ...
In fact, my art teacher never seemed violent, but she felt the need to "deconstruct" the aesthetic rules, and she considered that works technically well made​​, lose their artistic value. She hated photographs with correct focus, following the rule of thirds, proper exposure, and whatever all photographers consider desirable in a photograph. When I showed my photos with multiple exposure (done in-camera) she advised me to do a little something in Photoshop to make it obvious that I'm not Orthodox. :-X

As for the murder, she killed her sister, and was waiting for the police to arrive, sitting with knife in hand, to say that she would kill all the rest of the family because everyone chase her. Only things of "artist."
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:35:34 PM by ajfotofilmagem »

9VIII

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2014, 04:32:04 PM »

I really appreciate the story, though I'm sorry to hear that things ended so poorly.

All I can add is that it takes a special kind of person to appreciate some things. I'm quite content to look at "fine art" (or "high art", expensive stuff in general) and see very little or nothing of value.
As is so common in life social status drives many people to do things that when viewed alone would never even remotely be considered reasonable, you can see that in everything from tennis shoes to the Gursky picture.
-100% RAW-

dawgfanjeff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Site:
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2014, 04:32:10 PM »
Caveat: Art is in the eye of the beholder, it's all subjective.

However, this particular beholder doesn't get this one being worth $4mil. 

If I had taken it, I'd be proud of it for sure.  Good balance, very nice composition.  The clouds even cooperated by being parallel for him.  Technically competent.  I'd even post it to CR as one of my fave landscapes. 

However,  I could go to the same place and take a picture 98% as good on any given cloudy day. I don't have an 8x10 camera, so I couldn't print it as nicely large, but is that what comprises art?

It's not about gear IMO.  It's about technique, patience, scouting and oftentimes, luck.   I think alot of "art appreciation" is taking something from a famous artist and justifying it.  That's why so much famous art really is stuff that could be seemingly reproduced by almost anyone.  Most people not trying to justify a piece's fame are taking it at face value.  It's pretty easy to spot a critic desperately trying to back into a complement for schlock a famous artist is throwing out there b/c his boat needs to be refinished or his wife wants a new kitchen. 

I think that any picture expensive should be a once in a lifetime event, beautifully captured by a photographer that knew exactly how to capture it. Those usually get Pulitzers, though, not $4mil :)   If I had the money, I'd pay for the one and only print of  Vietnam/napalm girl, or Lee Harvey Oswald being shot.  That photo of the Hindenburg. 

« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 04:42:32 PM by dawgfanjeff »
5DIII, | 100 2.8 Macro | 24-105L |
70-200 f/4L IS | 50 1.4 | 10-22 (for sale!)

MARKOE PHOTOE

• EOS M2
  • Photography is a love affair with life.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.markoe.smugmug.com
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 04:35:25 PM »
I guess if the purchaser is happy paying 4 mil for this, so be it.  To each his own.

Yea, looks like my bid of $12 was out bid.  How disappointing.  Not to say its not worth a few $ more but I don't have enough room for it anyway. 

Surprising so, I would imagine most of us have had art projects look like good...er bad, before we discarded them. Now, I'm feverishly looking back through my archives to see if HE copied ME ! ;D
A few cameras and lenses and a lot of creative energy and imagination.
"You never learn anything until you mess it up."

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2014, 04:35:25 PM »

anthonyd

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2014, 04:35:54 PM »
... ironic since few of your can shoot 8x10 ...

Hell, I didn't even know what "8x10" was before your post, but I still don't see how that helped him.  This photograph is still awful (in my opinion of course).

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 04:42:22 PM »
... ironic since few of your can shoot 8x10 ...

Hell, I didn't even know what "8x10" was before your post, but I still don't see how that helped him.  This photograph is still awful (in my opinion of course).
I could break out the 4X5, some scissors, and some glue and "cut and paste"......
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2014, 04:42:22 PM »