March 28, 2017, 06:01:07 PM

Author Topic: FoCal – Long / Fast Lens Calibration  (Read 18769 times)

LordofTackle

• Canon 70D
Re: FoCal – Long / Fast Lens Calibration
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 11:56:47 AM »

Calibration Target Set Up
Analysis and Re-Calibration (if needed)
1.   Remove the memory card, download the photos to your PC/Mac
2.   Launch FoCal, select Tools>Manual Mode
3.   Click on Add Files and select the shots you just took
4.   When they appear, make sure the AFMA values appear correctly (they should) and that you took all of the shots required

Looked at this, but cannot see any Manual Mode option.

Hi Maiaibing,

I agree, it's a bit tough to find/ill-named.
You need to go to "Calibration" and then choose "Automatic Focus Calibration". In the opening window you can then specify which pictures should be analyzed by clicking "Add files". As Graham pointed out, you need to have your camera disconnected.

At least thats the way on my mac with the newest Focal version.

-Sebastian

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 11:56:47 AM »

mackguyver

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2017, 12:06:37 PM »

4.   When they appear, make sure the AFMA values appear correctly (they should) and that you took all of the shots required

Hi Maiaibing,

You need to go to "Calibration" and then choose "Automatic Focus Calibration". In the opening window you can then specify which pictures should be analyzed by clicking "Add files". As Graham pointed out, you need to have your camera disconnected.

-Sebastian

Sebastian, thank you for this - it used to be called Manual mode and the new name is a bit confusing to say the least.  I will update the main post.
CPS Score: 111 points, those 0 and 1 point items really add up

Maiaibing

• 1D Mark IV
    • Copenhagen Cycle Chic Pictures
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2017, 01:19:04 PM »

Hi Maiaibing,

-Sebastian

Thanks! That's what I tried doing. Just thought I was missing out of something!

Maiaibing

• 1D Mark IV
    • Copenhagen Cycle Chic Pictures
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2017, 01:21:47 PM »
Thanks mackguyver.
Just what I needed after some inconsistent results trying to calibrate my 135L.
I’m also new to focal, so you guide helps a lot  :)

Hmmm. I'm also having trouble nailing my 135L to my 5DSR. Rechecked today using this methodology. Changed the setting from -11 to -10. A close call between the two settings.

mackguyver

• Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2017, 03:24:10 PM »
Thanks mackguyver.
Just what I needed after some inconsistent results trying to calibrate my 135L.
I’m also new to focal, so you guide helps a lot  :)

Hmmm. I'm also having trouble nailing my 135L to my 5DSR. Rechecked today using this methodology. Changed the setting from -11 to -10. A close call between the two settings.
Yeah, I always had a tough time calibrating my 135L and ultimately sent it in to Canon to have it aligned and calibrated.  After that, it was consistent, but perhaps there's something about that lens that's prone to getting knocked out of alignment.  I still regret selling that lens :(

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2017, 02:32:49 PM »
So I'm trying the manual method for the first time, and I turned off BBF and used the normal shutter. Everything went great, and then loaded the images and both and older pc and my iMac shows all files as "+1", any tips?
1dx mkII, 35 L II, Zeiss 100 f2 mp, 200 f2.0 L, Profoto B1.

kaihp

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »
So I'm trying the manual method for the first time, and I turned off BBF and used the normal shutter. Everything went great, and then loaded the images and both and older pc and my iMac shows all files as "+1", any tips?

If the AFMA isn't recorded in the EXIF (due to BBF or live-view), it will not show up at all. That it's fixed at +1 sounds to be as that it is getting noticed & recorded, but somehow the AFMA isn't being updated. try putting the card back into the camera and preview the images with the information displayed. It should tell you the AFMA there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2017, 04:37:14 PM »

Viggo

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2017, 05:59:43 PM »

If the AFMA isn't recorded in the EXIF (due to BBF or live-view), it will not show up at all. That it's fixed at +1 sounds to be as that it is getting noticed & recorded, but somehow the AFMA isn't being updated. try putting the card back into the camera and preview the images with the information displayed. It should tell you the AFMA there.

I tried that in the later run, and with the 35 the displayed showed the afma every time, but not in FoCal. However! The 200 set to any afma value does not show up on camera! Never ever have I seen a lens camera combo where the camera fails to display the selected afma.

Valvebounce

• Still can't use most of it to it's full potential!
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2017, 04:12:05 AM »
Hi Viggo.
Do you have lens corrections aberration turned on on your camera (can't remember which camera you are trying to do) but this is known to cause issues, mine was whilst tethered, a message saying "A shot was taken but no focus points reported focus confirmation. You should ensure you are using single point AF mode and that you have an appropriate focus point selected on the camera".
The newer versions of FoCal have a new message suggesting lens corrections as the culprit, but I'm guessing you would only get these messages whilst tethered.
Also, contact Reikan for help, they are great, I got a response in less than a day!

I hope you get to the bottom of this.

Cheers, Graham.
7DII+Grip, 7D+Grip, 40D+Grip, 5D+Grip, EF 24-105 f4L EF-S 17-85, EF-S 10-22, EF 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, EF 2x III, EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6l IS II, Σ17-70 f2.8-4 C, EF 50mm f1.8, 550EX, Triopo TR-985, Filters Remotes Macro tubes Tripod heads etc!

5D, 20D, 24-105, BG-E4, BG-E2N, 17-85, Nifty 50 pre owned.

Viggo

« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2017, 04:29:05 AM »
Hi Viggo.
Do you have lens corrections aberration turned on on your camera (can't remember which camera you are trying to do) but this is known to cause issues, mine was whilst tethered, a message saying "A shot was taken but no focus points reported focus confirmation. You should ensure you are using single point AF mode and that you have an appropriate focus point selected on the camera".
The newer versions of FoCal have a new message suggesting lens corrections as the culprit, but I'm guessing you would only get these messages whilst tethered.
Also, contact Reikan for help, they are great, I got a response in less than a day!

I hope you get to the bottom of this.

Cheers, Graham.

Thanks! I have a 1dx2 (yeeeesh, I bought it) and have vignetting and ca correction on. I will turn them off and try again ! Will report back here on my findings.

sedwards

• Canon 70D
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2017, 04:35:22 AM »
I had a similar issue when using manual mode and it turned out Focal was reading the first character of each file name as the afma number. In my case I was using a 1DsIII and had set the filename to 1ds + the consecutive number. No idea if that is your issue but something to look at.
1dIV , 5DIII  ,1DsIII , Samyang 14 f2.8 ,sigma 85 f1.4  art , 24-105f4L , 70-200f2.8LII , 400f5.6L ,EX 1.4III

kaihp

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2017, 04:41:03 AM »
I had a similar issue when using manual mode and it turned out Focal was reading the first character of each file name as the afma number. In my case I was using a 1DsIII and had set the filename to 1ds + the consecutive number. No idea if that is your issue but something to look at.

Now that you mention it, I ran into this one as well. I see the underlying idea (which is neat) but that FoCal doesn't warn out about this is ... less than ideal IMHO.

Thanks! I have a 1dx2 (yeeeesh, I bought it) and have vignetting and ca correction on. I will turn them off and try again ! Will report back here on my findings.

Congrats! hopefully the 1Dx2 will serve you well without gremlins for years to come.

Viggo

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2017, 05:09:26 AM »

Now that you mention it, I ran into this one as well. I see the underlying idea (which is neat) but that FoCal doesn't warn out about this is ... less than ideal IMHO.

Congrats! hopefully the 1Dx2 will serve you well without gremlins for years to come.

Thanks! Yeah, fingers crossed!  8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2017, 05:09:26 AM »

Viggo

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2017, 03:03:17 PM »
I've got a great tip from FoCal about the issue described above:

"In older versions of Focal, if your file name starts with a number, that number will displayed as the afma value. Simply change the file names starting with a letter and the issue should be resolved."

mackguyver

• Master of Pain
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2017, 02:59:58 PM »
I've got a great tip from FoCal about the issue described above:

"In older versions of Focal, if your file name starts with a number, that number will displayed as the afma value. Simply change the file names starting with a letter and the issue should be resolved."

That's pretty crazy, but thanks for sharing this as I'm not on the current version, either.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2017, 02:59:58 PM »