October 21, 2014, 11:47:42 AM

Author Topic: Crop sensors better than full frame for macro photography?  (Read 11772 times)

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
Re: Crop sensors better than full frame for macro photography?
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2014, 10:41:20 AM »
in almost all situations from macro to wide angle to telephoto, a FF sensor will give you results that are either the same as or better than an APS-C sensor

... It's good you're pointing out you're talking only about the sensor, not about camera bodies which might have features like a swivel screen, and not about other aspects like working distance.
Marsu, that is a good point - the swivel screen on my 60D rocked for macro and I miss it.  I still think the FF ergonomic trade-offs are worth it for better IQ, but I spend more time on the ground than I did with my 60D.  I often print at large sizes 20"x30" and up so the differences are noticeable, but for the majority of people that isn't a concern.

I will leave this post alone from now on, but in my opinion as someone who shots a lot of macro, all this DOF debate stuff is just a bunch of crap.  Macro is hard, period, and a good macro lens and excellent technique are what matter most.  The silliness I've seen in this thread won't make anyone a better macro photographer.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2014, 10:41:20 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2014, 10:46:39 AM »
What FF gives you is the ability to choose a thinner DoF if you want it, use a faster shutter speed if DoF isn't a limitation, have lower noise and greater post-processing flexibility, etc.  The benefits of FF are most evident when pushing the envelope, so to speak.

I know, that's why I put €1500 into a 6d though my 60d is still running fine. I was just surprised how little the (subjective) iq advantage is for macro and how much the loss of swivel screen & working distance hurts. The ff certainly gives you a different "look" for natural macro subjects, but that's more of a artistic advantage rather than something I could attribute to sharpness or noise.

The one thing I do continue to mention is the postprocessing flexibility you also mentioned, but if properly exposing & focus-stacking a mushroom I didn't find that to be really necessary. What I often really *would* need is simply more dr for highlights, but we talked about that :-p and some fixes are available with bracketing or Magic Lantern dual_iso.

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2014, 12:09:04 PM »
I choose the M over FF most of the time for macro because of working distance.
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2014, 05:02:32 PM »
I choose the M over FF most of the time for macro because of working distance.

Bingo. You can get the shot either way, but the smaller sensor will give you a little more room to work.

6 pages of people arguing tiny differences that make little or no difference in the real world or your final images. Sensors are so good now that there are only two categories where format seems to matter at all:

* Really low light stuff like astrophotography and astro-landscapes. FF tends to dominate here though you still see good work from APS-C.

* Wall sized landscape prints with incredible detail and zero noise/artifacts. You have to see these in a gallery to appreciate them, and they are all scanned and digitally processed LF film, or MF digital.

For everything else it matters little whether it's FF, APS-C, or 4/3. For some reason we love to pretend otherwise.

Looking over the best macros at a photo sharing site like Flickr, the key to top rated macro work is not format, but mastering focus stacking and lighting. Which camera do you choose? Whichever one appeals to your budget and desired features.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2014, 06:58:10 PM »
I was hesitant to make a comment here, but things seem to have calmed down a little.

I do a lot of Macro, albeit it's all Underwater Imaging, I have two set ups for Underwater.

1DMK IV in a Seacam Housing, I find the APS-H format just get's me closer and for my Macro Imaging works better than anything else I've tried (FF/APS-C), primarily it allows me to better utilise the 100f/2.8 Macro L IS.

For everything else I use the 5DMK III again in a Seacam Housing, FF seems to the wide angle Imaging better than the 1.3 Crop of the APS-H format.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

ecka

• 5D Mark III
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2014, 03:14:40 AM »
When I was using 7D for macro (mostly hand held) it was very difficult to get the right framing and the subject in perfect focus at the same time. Now, with 6D I don't worry about the framing so much (or at all), because FF is much more crop-friendly, so I can focus on timing and DoF positioning.
Another FF advantage is MP-E 65/2.8 1-5x Macro, which is somewhat limited by it's lowest magnification of 1:1 macro and not every insect is small enough to fit inside APSC framing without cropping something off (long legs, whiskers, etc). You can always crop, so FF gives more flexibility.
TBH, when talking about size, I think that crop sensor has no advantages other than price.
FF + primes !

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2014, 06:28:46 AM »
TBH, when talking about size, I think that crop sensor has no advantages other than price.

Agreed.  Not that you can't make excellent images with a crop sensor, but lower cost is its real advantage.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2014, 06:28:46 AM »

Jeevz

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2014, 04:32:58 AM »
I was hesitant to make a comment here, but things seem to have calmed down a little.

I do a lot of Macro, albeit it's all Underwater Imaging, I have two set ups for Underwater.

1DMK IV in a Seacam Housing, I find the APS-H format just get's me closer and for my Macro Imaging works better than anything else I've tried (FF/APS-C), primarily it allows me to better utilise the 100f/2.8 Macro L IS.

For everything else I use the 5DMK III again in a Seacam Housing, FF seems to the wide angle Imaging better than the 1.3 Crop of the APS-H format.

For me - shooting underwater macro - I am very happy with my 7d + 100L - (granted the 1d series + housing is a little out of my price range)

The reason I like aps-c is because of the greater working distance (not always necessary) but there are some shots I am sure I couldn't get on full frame underwater (and there is no port for the 180L on my ikelite setup).

I do plan to put together a FF rig sometime soon, but I will keep my 7d mainly for underwater macro.

Just my opinion in regards to my shooting.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2014, 04:32:58 AM »