November 23, 2014, 08:49:45 PM

Author Topic: Ditching One Shot and shooting AI Servo fulltime  (Read 3083 times)

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
Ditching One Shot and shooting AI Servo fulltime
« on: February 24, 2014, 06:43:55 PM »
So I've never owned a camera I felt confident enough to trust in AI Servo until I started shooting with the 1Dx. Old habits die hard though, and I'd still been toggling between one shot and AI-Servo based on subject matter.  I've always held this pre-conceived, personally unfounded notion that One Shot would be more accurate than AI Servo on stationary subjects.    Given how amazing I found AF accuracy to be on the 1Dx, I decided to test my theory by exclusively using Servo mode for all non moving subjects.

In the past month I've shot mostly portraits, some landscape, and quite a bit of macro.  At the pixel level, I can't tell any difference in regards to focus accuracy between shots taken using One Shot vs. AI-Servo based on my real world use.  Granted, I have my shutter release priority biased towards focus as opposed to release.  I don't see myself using One Shot ever again as far as I'm concerned, and I appreciate not having to press a button or switch modes to engage Servo if something does start to happen unexpectedly. 

Can anyone think of any cons to using AI servo fulltime and ditching One Shot if I I'm able to achieve the same level of accuracy?   (ok yes, as a concession I'm taxing the battery, but battery life has become a total non issue for me having moved to a 1D body)

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:22:57 PM by BL »
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

canon rumors FORUM

Ditching One Shot and shooting AI Servo fulltime
« on: February 24, 2014, 06:43:55 PM »

Logan

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Ditching One Shot and shooting AI Servo fulltime
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 07:52:15 PM »
if you focus/recompose how long do you have to hit the shutter before the af readjusts? how do you get it to focus on what you want? are you manually picking focus points? i have not tried a 1dx but i dont feel like that would work for the kind of shooting i do. if the horizon is low in the frame with a lot of sky, how do you deal with that?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 08:15:13 PM »
I've considered doing such a test myself, to see if that true for my usual subjects.  The theoretical drawback is that AI Servo relies more on the f/5.6 sensor lines, since they acquire focus faster than the more accurate f/4 and f/2.8 lines.  But if there's no difference in the images....

@ Logan - back button AF takes care of those issues.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 08:22:24 PM »
if you focus/recompose how long do you have to hit the shutter before the af readjusts?

Yes, I use back button focus and have left and right AF points customized to get triggered with user programmed buttons.

I've considered doing such a test myself, to see if that true for my usual subjects.  The theoretical drawback is that AI Servo relies more on the f/5.6 sensor lines, since they acquire focus faster than the more accurate f/4 and f/2.8 lines.  But if there's no difference in the images....

In regards to f5.6 sensor lines and AI servo, I did not realize that was the case.  Took a quick glance at my exif and I didn't shoot anything wider than 2.8, although my use of apertures were all over the place from 2.8 through 16.

In retrospect, perhaps I spoke too soon since I haven't tested anything between 1.2 or 2.0.  I'll give it a whirl and let you know how it goes.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 08:28:16 PM by BL »
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 08:58:45 PM »
Regarding the f/5.6 lines, your selected aperture is irrelevant, all that matters is the max aperture of the lens.  Most f/2.8 and faster lenses (there are exceptions) activate the central 5 dual cross AF points that are more accurate.  Most f/4 lenses activate the 20 f/4 lines (two columns of 5 on each side, which when combined with the f/5.6 lines make those points crosses).  In terms of AF point accuracy, f/2.8 > f/4 > f/5.6; AF speed is the reverse order.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

axtstern

• Rebel T5i
  • EOS M(ediochre)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 05:22:33 PM »
Can't compete with your guys' heavy guns like the 1dx but:

my 2 year old son dropped my 60D together with the Sigma 18-35 1.8 minutes before a trip.
Next Chance to test it was last friday during dutch carneval. I thought the lens was damaged because I got less than 30% of sharp Pictures when shooting at that evening (in very very dim light).

Next morning I found out that my son had not broken the lens but switched the camera to AI Servo.
Did a test the same morning in an closed down coal mine a few hundred feet under ground. Again almost darkness only interupted by the helmet lights of our Group: 90% perfect focus with one shot, not even 30% with AI Servo and if I got a picture proper than with a big delay. So for me in any situation with Little light AI servo is a no go.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 06:46:56 PM »
I haven't used single shot AF for anything other than FoCal in at least 5 years.  Back button AF & release.  'Nuff said.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 06:46:56 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 07:03:35 PM »
So I've never owned a camera I felt confident enough to trust in AI Servo until I started shooting with the 1Dx. Old habits die hard though, and I'd still been toggling between one shot and AI-Servo based on subject matter.  I've always held this pre-conceived, personally unfounded notion that One Shot would be more accurate than AI Servo on stationary subjects.    Given how amazing I found AF accuracy to be on the 1Dx, I decided to test my theory by exclusively using Servo mode for all non moving subjects.

In the past month I've shot mostly portraits, some landscape, and quite a bit of macro.  At the pixel level, I can't tell any difference in regards to focus accuracy between shots taken using One Shot vs. AI-Servo based on my real world use.  Granted, I have my shutter release priority biased towards focus as opposed to release.  I don't see myself using One Shot ever again as far as I'm concerned, and I appreciate not having to press a button or switch modes to engage Servo if something does start to happen unexpectedly. 

Can anyone think of any cons to using AI servo fulltime and ditching One Shot if I I'm able to achieve the same level of accuracy?   (ok yes, as a concession I'm taxing the battery, but battery life has become a total non issue for me having moved to a 1D body)

Thanks in advance!

i shoot my eos m in servo full time its faster to focus and accuracy is good however i still shoot single shot 99% of the time on the 5Dmk3 and use the Dof preview button to engage servo on demand IMO this is the most awesome feature of the 5Dmk3
APS-H Fanboy

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 07:06:36 PM »
Can't compete with your guys' heavy guns like the 1dx but:

my 2 year old son dropped my 60D together with the Sigma 18-35 1.8 minutes before a trip.
Next Chance to test it was last friday during dutch carneval. I thought the lens was damaged because I got less than 30% of sharp Pictures when shooting at that evening (in very very dim light).

Next morning I found out that my son had not broken the lens but switched the camera to AI Servo.
Did a test the same morning in an closed down coal mine a few hundred feet under ground. Again almost darkness only interupted by the helmet lights of our Group: 90% perfect focus with one shot, not even 30% with AI Servo and if I got a picture proper than with a big delay. So for me in any situation with Little light AI servo is a no go.

servo requires you to shoot differently if you think you are in one shot and are actually in servo and continue to shoot as you would in one shot you will get very very few keepers, for servo Back button focus helps you have to hold focus on the subject a little before taking the shot to let it track so it works very differently to one shot.
APS-H Fanboy

jiphoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 08:27:25 PM »
Servo is great for USM lenses or smaller apertures, but just try using Servo with something like the nifty fifty.  It hits focus about 20% of the time at best, and sounds like a cricket on steroids.  However, servo is fantastic for pretty much everything else with good USM lenses.
7D, 50 f/1.8 II, 20-35 f/3.5-4.5, 24-105 f/4L, 100-400L, 580EX II

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 12:03:29 PM »
I find when event shooting I tire out trying to continually see if the focus is locked on where I need it to be so I shoot one shot most of the time for focus confirmation. When people are moving towards or away I switch to AI Servo. I agree that AI Servo works well for static objects and many people leave it on.

I still to this day wonder with the technology out there why Canon could not provide a dedicated button or an assignable one that when you press and release switches to the other shooting mode. Maybe an indicator in the viewfinder. Even if you can assign another button yo have to hold it which I find uncomfortable. I just usually use the Q screen. It is typically on the FEC setting as I'm always tuning the flash so it takes a few extra seconds and is still a bit of a pain.           

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 11:21:37 PM »
I find when event shooting I tire out trying to continually see if the focus is locked on where I need it to be so I shoot one shot most of the time for focus confirmation. When people are moving towards or away I switch to AI Servo. I agree that AI Servo works well for static objects and many people leave it on.

I still to this day wonder with the technology out there why Canon could not provide a dedicated button or an assignable one that when you press and release switches to the other shooting mode. Maybe an indicator in the viewfinder. Even if you can assign another button yo have to hold it which I find uncomfortable. I just usually use the Q screen. It is typically on the FEC setting as I'm always tuning the flash so it takes a few extra seconds and is still a bit of a pain.         

the 5Dmk3 qnd 1Dx you can program the Dof preview button to do this its the  best feature ever so it toggles between 1 shot and servo on demand

really awesome feature
APS-H Fanboy

climber

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 02:10:55 AM »

the 5Dmk3 qnd 1Dx you can program the Dof preview button to do this its the  best feature ever so it toggles between 1 shot and servo on demand

really awesome feature

But you have to keep pressing on the Dof button to switch let say from 1 shot to servo. It's not enough to make only 1 press.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 02:10:55 AM »

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2014, 03:46:39 AM »

really awesome feature

But you have to keep pressing on the Dof button to switch let say from 1 shot to servo. It's not enough to make only 1 press.

yeah but the way it works is perfect for being able to quickly switch between servo and one shot especially where subject move and then stop for example weddings events fashion runway etc its a brilliant system IMO
APS-H Fanboy

rs

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 06:20:30 AM »

Custom modes. You can have a whole raft of settings saved, available to you in an instant. Personally I use C1 for portraits/landscape etc - one shot AF, central AF point, AV mode (defaulted to wide open) etc. C2 is for action - AI servo, all AF points, Tv 1/500th etc. C3 is for flash - M etc.
5D II | 24-70 II | 70-200 II | 100L | 40 | Sigma 50/1.4 | 40D | 10-22 | 17-55 | 580 EX II | 1.4x TC II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 06:20:30 AM »