July 30, 2014, 06:13:27 AM

Author Topic: Now that the D4s is introduced, what's next at Canon?  (Read 5045 times)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Now that the D4s is introduced, what's next at Canon?
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 08:38:30 PM »

maybe JPG noise reduction.. a bit more smear... a bit less noise? :)

I suspect Nikon is talking about jpeg noise improvement, kind of like how Canon hyped jpeg improvement when 5D III came out. 

D4s is yawn city, but perhaps people who wanted D4 can get one cheaper now. 
Instead of D4s, the camera Canon needs to respond to is Nikon D5300, which really makes the current Rebels look embarrassing  :-[

Good point.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 08:38:30 PM »

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 08:39:47 PM »
Will the screen still be green?   

This does nothing to the 1dx or Canon...it would piss me off if I was a Nikon guy and I had bought a D4 anytime in the past year. 

1DXii doesn't become available until late 2015.

also...it's a clear sign that the 1dX was the better camera...and Nikon had to do something to keep it's pros from switching, and to keep the first time buying a pro body "upgraders" from switching.

Agree.  I think they eventually fixed the green screen issue, but I doubt they ever officially admitted it was a problem.

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 11:52:42 PM »
Canon will sell more cameras.  :P

abcde12345

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 12:25:43 AM »
Canon replied with a 1200D!  :P It's still a shame honestly. Against D3300 and D5300, this is looking pretty lop-sided. Not just that, but prior to release of 70D, D7100 and D7000 pretty much whacked Canon's a$# for the prosumer's segment. Canon needs to buckle up with the beginner to intermediate segment and not release a flurry of 6XXD and 7XXD just to boost sales. I don't see any need to upgrade from my previous 550D to 700D, which is a really sad thing. Three cameras since then and not much change! I personally think even 6D is crippled too much, which can definitely do with more cross-type sensors and other features like double SD's. We shouldn't just say it can do something but not the other; Nikon has been giving them so many AF points that Canon looks really shabby. =/

I suspect Nikon is talking about jpeg noise improvement, kind of like how Canon hyped jpeg improvement when 5D III came out. 

Instead of D4s, the camera Canon needs to respond to is Nikon D5300, which really makes the current Rebels look embarrassing  :-[

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 01:56:03 AM »
Canon replied with a 1200D!  :P It's still a shame honestly. Against D3300 and D5300, this is looking pretty lop-sided. Not just that, but prior to release of 70D, D7100 and D7000 pretty much whacked Canon's a$# for the prosumer's segment. Canon needs to buckle up with the beginner to intermediate segment and not release a flurry of 6XXD and 7XXD just to boost sales. I don't see any need to upgrade from my previous 550D to 700D, which is a really sad thing. Three cameras since then and not much change! I personally think even 6D is crippled too much, which can definitely do with more cross-type sensors and other features like double SD's. We shouldn't just say it can do something but not the other; Nikon has been giving them so many AF points that Canon looks really shabby. =/

You're right, but that's Canon for you.  Apparently they still sell more DSLR's than Nikon.  As for the 6D's AF sensor...it won't be getting a good one until the 5D4 is introduced.  And that 5D4 had better be able to do a dance or something!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 07:57:24 AM »
Not just that, but prior to release of 70D, D7100 and D7000 pretty much whacked Canon's a$# for the prosumer's segment.

Perhaps it depends on how you define the segment, but the 'prosumer' 7D was a better choice than the D7000, and despite its age the 7D remains competitive with the D7100.  Did Nikon just abandon the D300s?  It wasn't much competition for the 7D anyway.

I don't see any need to upgrade from my previous 550D to 700D, which is a really sad thing. Three cameras since then and not much change!

Nor should there be – at the consumer level, people want this year's model (or last year's model at a discount), so vendors feed that by releasing a new model every year, each one a minor improvement over the last.  The 650D got the xxD's AF system, a significant improvement.  The 7D's AF sensor is now in the xxD line, and will eventually make it to the xxxD series.

Fundamentally, though, the Rebel/xxxD line will remain what it is...Canon wants you to think 'upgrade' means an xxD or xD body.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Ivar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 10:27:34 AM »
As already covered in previous threads I think there is no threat to the 1Dx.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2014, 10:27:34 AM »

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2014, 06:44:56 PM »
but if video is your thing, the D4s is very attractive with 1080/60p for slowmo and headphone monitoring.

i take better video with my phone than SLR  ;D
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2014, 07:34:54 PM »
but if video is your thing, the D4s is very attractive with 1080/60p for slowmo and headphone monitoring.

i take better video with my phone than SLR  ;D

I didn't realize the 1DX couldn't do 1080/60p...but I guess that's why they want you to buy their cinema cameras.

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2014, 09:08:38 PM »
I think they leave out those things to upsell folks to the 1DC
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

canon1dxman

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 07:38:02 AM »
See the idiotic comment at the end. I sent in a comment 2 days ago but it is awaiting moderation............

http://blog.iamnikon.com/en_GB/product-news/nikon-d4s-review-experts-verdict-bob-martin/

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 09:10:14 AM »
Why, the 1DX-W of course!
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 03:14:07 AM »
See the idiotic comment at the end. I sent in a comment 2 days ago but it is awaiting moderation............

http://blog.iamnikon.com/en_GB/product-news/nikon-d4s-review-experts-verdict-bob-martin/

I agree, the guy is very biased.  Never mentions how it compares to the 1DX, or even mentions the 1DX.  Could that be because he's never used one?  I can only guess that he has not.  Obviously he's a committed Nikon and Ashton Kutcher lover.

Have any of you...anyone on Canon Rumors' forum...seen an unbiased test of the D4s, or better yet, a comparison of it and the 1DX?

I suspect there are things it might do better than the 1DX, but I doubt it can autofocus better...and it certainly still can't shoot as many fps.  Seems like the only definite thing it can do better, is last longer on a battery.  And why is that?  Does it not use the same 18650 tri-cell pack?  If so...it seems to me that a camera would last longer, if its digital processing used less energy.  And that could at least partly be because, it has less processing power...It needs less for one basic reason.  It has 16 MP vs. 18 MP...but also, the processor that controls autofocus, very likely uses a lot less power than the 1DX's autofocus processor (it's a "Digic 4").

I suspect that the 1DX replacement, probably still won't last as long on a charge, as the D4s, even if it has more efficient processing and better batteries...because Canon will still opt for the maximum processing they can cram in there!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 03:15:48 AM by CarlTN »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 03:14:07 AM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2014, 03:38:16 AM »

I agree, the guy is very biased.  Never mentions how it compares to the 1DX, or even mentions the 1DX.  Could that be because he's never used one?  I can only guess that he has not.  Obviously he's a committed Nikon and Ashton Kutcher lover.

Have any of you...anyone on Canon Rumors' forum...seen an unbiased test of the D4s, or better yet, a comparison of it and the 1DX?

I suspect there are things it might do better than the 1DX, but I doubt it can autofocus better...and it certainly still can't shoot as many fps.  Seems like the only definite thing it can do better, is last longer on a battery.  And why is that?  Does it not use the same 18650 tri-cell pack?  If so...it seems to me that a camera would last longer, if its digital processing used less energy.  And that could at least partly be because, it has less processing power...It needs less for one basic reason.  It has 16 MP vs. 18 MP...but also, the processor that controls autofocus, very likely uses a lot less power than the 1DX's autofocus processor (it's a "Digic 4").

I suspect that the 1DX replacement, probably still won't last as long on a charge, as the D4s, even if it has more efficient processing and better batteries...because Canon will still opt for the maximum processing they can cram in there!

Efficiency does not necessarily have to compromise processing power. If you notice, successive generations of Intel processors have gotten more powerful AND more energy-efficient.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 07:22:20 AM »
...the processor that controls autofocus, very likely uses a lot less power than the 1DX's autofocus processor (it's a "Digic 4")

The Digic4 chip in the 1D X processes only data from the 100,000-pixel RGB metering sensor. The Digic4 chip is not the AF processor, although it does feed data to the AF processor to support 'intelligent tracking and recognition' (iTR, which uses size/shape/color for AI Servo tracking).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2014, 07:22:20 AM »