January 17, 2018, 02:32:31 AM

Author Topic: General purpose zoom for honeymoon  (Read 28948 times)

giltaminphotography

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
Re: General purpose zoom for honeymoon
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 02:09:11 PM »
I had the same debate as you did. I love my primes but also had a canon 24-70 v ii. So I took the 24-70 v ii and my sigma 35 art and ended up only using my 35 because it is perfect walk around lens. I found that I had no use for the zoom and ended up selling it and sticking with just primes. I traveled to Spain and Italy over a year ago and only used the sigma 35 art. Heres the link
http://www.giltaminphotography.com/taste-of-europe-2/
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:54:05 PM by giltaminphotography »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2014, 02:09:11 PM »

alexturton

• EOS M5
  • I shoot what i find interesting; nothing else
    • My flickr
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2014, 05:39:21 PM »
I bought an rx100 exactly for this purpose. Plus arm length selfies which I can never do with 5d3 :-p

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/813142-REG/XShot_XS2379_F_XShot_2_0.html

I've done something like that to the extreme with my monopod before. with interesting results. hehe

Bodies: 5d mk iii, 60d
Primes: 24L 1.4, Sigma 35 1.4, 40 pancake, 50L 1.2, 85L 1.2 ii, 8mm fisheye, lensbaby, 100L macro.
Zooms: 16-35 2.8 ii, 24-70 2.8 ii, 70-200 2.8 is ii, 120-400

TeT

• EOS 5DS R
  • I am smiling because I am happy...
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2014, 06:24:47 PM »
If you are going DSLR pick up up a used 24 105 4 L on eBay for < $600.00 USD and sell it when you get back if you dont want to keep it (you will appreciate the 105mm on the backside over the 24 70...

If you are going to buy something, get a wide 2.0 aperture GX something or similar maybe with a screw on extender if you think you will need farther reach.

Anyways....

I find the varied responses humorous: about half of the suggestions to your post would be great if photographing your honeymoon was to be a paid gig.

JonAustin

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • Telecom / IT consultant and semi-pro photographer
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2014, 08:32:16 PM »
I traveled to Spain and Italy over a year ago and only used the sigma 35 art. Heres the link

Simply beautiful! (So is your female model.) My only primes are a 50 and 100 ... these make me want to invest in a 35!
Canon cameras, lenses, speedlites, scanners & printers

A710VA

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2014, 10:56:22 PM »
There are far more important things to do on a honeymoon than taking pictures!

wayno

• EOS M5
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2014, 11:14:08 PM »
Alright, so opinions are like a***holes. Everyone's got one - and here's mine. The 24-70ii is completely worth investing in. I use mine a lot (almost exclusively for street/walk around/landscape) but pretty much always use my primes for wedding/paid portraiture work. Both types of lenses are well used and I see great benefit in both options. For a holiday (even a honeymoon), I'd be looking at it as an excuse to pony up for the 24-70ii. I wondered if I'd regret replacing my crusty old, rarely used 24-70 with what I thought was effectively the same sort of thing but I couldn't have been more wrong.

docholliday

• EOS M5
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 04:52:04 AM »
My choice of vacation camera? 1Ds3 w/ 24-70/2.8L. Or 1Ds3 with Zeiss 35/1.4 ZE. Or Hasselblad H4D with 50.

Hey, you love photography, and if she can't deal with you shooting during the "normal" hours, I'd kick her to the curb...now afterwards, give her some time too!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 04:52:04 AM »

tiger82

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2014, 08:22:51 AM »
Honeymoon......bring a pocket P&S.  Are you there to celebrate or work?  If your partner isn't bringing an equivalent time sink, leave the heavy gear at home.
1DX Mark II. 5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II with various Canon glass covering 8mm-300mm

sanj

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2014, 08:56:41 AM »
Do NOT forget a light tripod.

And yeah the Fuji is a great option.

tiger82

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2014, 09:26:25 AM »
Do NOT forget a light tripod.

And yeah the Fuji is a great option.

And the divorce and pre-nup papers so you get to keep your gear.
1DX Mark II. 5D Mark IV, 7D Mark II with various Canon glass covering 8mm-300mm

giltaminphotography

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2014, 09:44:56 AM »
I traveled to Spain and Italy over a year ago and only used the sigma 35 art. Heres the link

Simply beautiful! (So is your female model.) My only primes are a 50 and 100 ... these make me want to invest in a 35!

Thank you JonAustin. The lovely model is my wife. She too likes photography ;) I really suggest the 35 for walk around I also use a 50 and love the 35 because you can frame the subject with a nice background. 24 is too wide for me to frame the subject and 50 is to close. The sigma 35 art is really something special it killed my 24-70 vii in terms of contrast and colour.

RustyTheGeek

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2014, 09:50:32 AM »

Thank you JonAustin. The lovely model is my wife. She too likes photography ;) I really suggest the 35 for walk around I also use a 50 and love the 35 because you can frame the subject with a nice background. 24 is too wide for me to frame the subject and 50 is to close. The sigma 35 art is really something special it killed my 24-70 vii in terms of contrast and colour.

Beautiful images, beautiful wife!

You are truly blessed!  Great trip, great to have a wife that shares your passion.  She looks like she had fun.  So did you obviously!
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

RustyTheGeek

• EOS-1D X Mark II
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »
IMHO... unless your wife is really into photography, impress her with your sacrifice of leaving 90% of your stuff at home and make this trip about HER!  Make a STATEMENT to her by sacrificing your photo gear for her.

She'll feel more cherished and honored, not sidelined.  You'll be glad you did, or if you take all your stuff instead, you may regret it forever.  Seriously, ask any woman, they'll tell you to K.I.S.S.!!  This is a special romantic time, not a normal vacation.  I totally understand what you are thinking and I am also telling you to take a step back and put photography way down your list.  You should be planning special surprises for her, a few nice places to eat, etc but otherwise, it's a big love fest, not a photo trip.  She may not say anything now but in the future, esp after talking to her girlfriends, all your photography very well may come up in the future and bite you in the ass.  Esp if you aren't a pro, just a serious enthusiast.  Again, take a bunch of photo gear at your peril!

Take a Point and Shoot, buy a G16 or something and let it go.  That will impress her far more than "only" taking 40% of your gear and a new lens.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2014, 10:00:31 AM »

Northstar

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2014, 10:56:08 AM »
IMHO... unless your wife is really into photography, impress her with your sacrifice of leaving 90% of your stuff at home and make this trip about HER!  Make a STATEMENT to her by sacrificing your photo gear for her.

good point rusty.

Or, you could pack every single camera, lens, tripod, and accessory you own and set it all down with your other luggage  and wait for a response....depending on her facial expression and body language, and how loudly she says "REALLY?" ...you should be able to figure out roughly how much you can take. ;D
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

hgraf

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • Herbert Graf Photography
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2014, 11:16:23 AM »
I've found that sometimes some posters get caught up in their GAS so much they loose sight of what's really important.

We're talking about a honeymoon. It's a time where all the stress of getting married is gone, and you finally have some time alone with the man/women you want to spend the rest of your life with.

The result?

People suggesting that this is a great opportunity to buy a $1500 lens (really? Happiest days of your life and you're talking about purchasing gear?).

People suggesting that the OP brings $10k+ worth of gear with them.

This isn't a gig. This isn't a job. It's a honeymoon. Seriously? What is the most important element of a honeymoon? The ultimate "quality" of the pictures you take? Is that what's most important? Modern P&S and other "cheaper" options take GREAT photos. You DON'T NEED $10k+ worth of gear to take great shots. I've taken many amazing shots with the cheapest gear. One of my all time favourite shots was done with a $150 waterproof P&S.

Lets also consider some of the practical elements here: your new bride suggests you go down to the beach and swim a bit in the ocean. She puts on an amazing bikini, and her sunglasses and holds her hand out to you. What do you do with your $10k+ worth of gear?

• Take it with you? No, since you can't leave it on the beach (it will get stolen) you'd have to have it on you all the time
  • Leave it in the room safe? No, won't fit (at least not all of it)
  • Leave it in the room? No, it will get stolen.
  • Insure it so if it gets stolen you can get the money back? No, since why did you bring your gear if you expected it to be stolen?
  • Leave it with the front desk? Probably your only option.

So, instead of taking her hand and running down to the beach you're going instead to pack as much of it in your room safe as you can, or walk down to the front desk and hope it doesn't go missing there?

Just my opinion. I LOVE photography, and I have absolutely ZERO regrets with the minimal amount of gear I brought on my honeymoon.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2014, 11:16:23 AM »