July 22, 2014, 10:13:33 AM

Author Topic: General purpose zoom for honeymoon  (Read 7759 times)

Old Shooter

• Canon 70D
  • Never met a gadget I didn't like!
    • View Profile
Re: General purpose zoom for honeymoon
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 02:51:11 PM »
I agree with a lot of the sentiment here. I can't bring myself to use crop after buying my 5d. So my 60d is just gathering dust. So I'm not convinced i like the idea of buying a gen zoom for that.

I don't like compact system cams so that doesn't sound like a good idea for me.

I think I agree with the comments re I'd be disappointed with an f4 lens.

Think that leaves me with canon 24 70ii or just go with a few primes and keep my rx100 handy to fill in the edges where neccesary. Light and simple sounds good

The truth is my photography is my hobby and I get a lot of relaxation from it. I can't sit and read on a beach like a normal person :-p

Your 5DIII and the 24-70II are like bread and butter - they just go together... You can carry one lens and get a lot of great shots... That being said, I would drop that shorty-forty in my pocket - I love what it does on my 5DIII...
5DIII, XSi, A2, 10s (x2), 20-35L, 24-70L II, 28-70L, 70-200L, 70-200L IS II, 85L II, 135L, 40 Pancake, 50 Macro, 100 Macro, 135 Soft-Focus, Crappy EF-S Kit Lens, 430EX II, Metz 45 CL-4, Metz 60 CT-4 (x2), White Lightnings, and lots of other junk...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2014, 02:51:11 PM »

No Mayo

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2014, 02:56:30 PM »
I recommend that you don't think of this as photographing your honeymoon, but rather photographing your bride on her honeymoon. Focussing on her will guarantee great shots that everyone will cherish. I would take the 85L and the 24L (to capture her in the environment). If I were to purchase a one lens solution it would definitely be the 24-70LII. I have it (and a large selection of L primes) and I am quite happy with the quality. I would not be happy with anything slower than 2.8. Congratulations to you!

Gert Arijs

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2014, 03:52:23 PM »
I would invest in a 17-40. So take the 17-40 and the 100 is my advice. Not too havy, very multi-purpose.

In fact I wanted to suggest a crop body with superzoom, ie Tamron 18-270mm. Since quality is a serious issue, it's a tough descision...
5D3, 7D and old 1Ds3. Gitzo with Markins.
Www.gertarijs.be

digital paradise

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Zenon Char Photography
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2014, 03:55:18 PM »
Just get her some stuff from Victoria's Secret and you will have all the zoom you need :). I noticed a few things about the 24-105. I had that lens for about 6 years and did me very well. A good sharp lens that has a nice range.

I never liked it at 24mm on a FF. Pretty bad for distortions and CA. I know this can be corrected but the outsides, especially people never looked right. I was looking for a WA lens and the 24-70II came out. Still has a bit of distortion and CA but no where near as much.

I decided to sell the 24-105 and get the 24-70 II. Love the IQ. Miss the range and IS of the 105 but no where as much as I thought I would. For that price I think it should have been included. If I had unlimited money I would have kept the 105 as a walkaround but today I would not part with my 24-70. It is not a 24 TSE but is a formidable landscape lens

24mm @ 2.8

28mm @ 5.6

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2014, 04:55:27 PM »
It all depends on what you shoot, but I'll take the minority position:  get the Canon 24-70 F/4 IS.

The upsides are numerous:  IS, light, compact, sharp, weather-sealed, and has the 0.7x Macro mode. 

It's a killer travel lens, all things considered.  Yes, you lose a stop over the Canon 24-70 2.8 II, but it's so much lighter to carry around, and IS + Macro have been quite useful for me.

But if speed really is vital for how and what you shoot, you should be shooting with primes.  If you are one of those folks who slams it fully open all the time, even with a 2.8 zoom you'll wish you could open it up more...

- A

FTb-n

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2014, 07:19:51 PM »
Curious thread. 

Two decades ago, my wife and I honeymooned in Hawaii.  I brought two AE-1 bodies, an FD 35-80 f3.5-5.6, and FD 80-210 f4, and an FD 50 f1.8.  The 50 got little use, but we have poster-sized prints from the others hanging on our walls.  Polarizer filters were used a lot and film speed was limited to ASA 200 and ASA 400.  These lenses pre-dated IS, so I was often pushing the limits of hand-held shutter speeds.

I'm watching the comments of 24-105 f4 vs. 24-70 f2.8 with great interest.  I have the 24-105 and enjoy the IS, especially when using polarizers and with landscapes where I may want a smaller aperture.  With Lightroom lens correction, the distortion isn't an issue. 

I'm intrigued by the 24-70 2.8 for the speed and IQ, but fear the lack of IS and the shorter reach -- and the price.  (Hmm...sounds familiar.  Before moving from crop to FF, I feared the loss of reach -- and the price.)  There are times when I'd prefer a faster lens, but the 24-105 still impresses me.

So, if my wife and I return to Hawaii, I wouldn't hesitate to bring two 5D3's, the 24-105, the 70-200 f2.8 II, and the 40 2.8 pancake.  The 70-200 may seem to be less necessary, but it's still my most used lens, especially when shooting candids and portraits -- which might get frequent use with my favorite subject on the beach ;)
5D3, 7D | 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8...  |  PowerShot S100

Mr_Canuck

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 07:22:33 PM »
Don't waste your money on a zoom!!!   :P

You are obviously a prime shooter. Use your primes and be simple and happy.
You will be uninspired by a "general purpose" zoom, methinks.

Take two primes.

A wide and a moderate telephoto in a small bag and see your honeymoon through that framework. You'll get way better shots and have less crap to haul around.

24 or 35 plus 85 or 100 (depending on whether macro is important to you. I'm thinking 85 though for its portrait emphasis). Even better... play spin the bottle and pick the two lenses that come up out of these selections.

You WON'T MISS a single shot. What's to miss? You will take them at the focal length you have in your hand, and you'll GET the shot you take. A 35mm landscape is better than a 17mm landscape if its better conceived and enjoyed and taken. Or vice versa. Who cares.

#1 priority: wife. #2 priority: relaxing and enjoying wife and surroundings and food. #6 priority: getting some great shots that didn't get in the way of priorities #1 and #2.

6D | Voigt 20 | 40STM | 50/2.5M | 70-200/4is | EX420 | ST-E2 | Velbon ultra lux iL | RX100 — go light, go far...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2014, 07:22:33 PM »

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.500px.com/home
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2014, 07:41:58 PM »
I agree with a lot of the sentiment here. I can't bring myself to use crop after buying my 5d. So my 60d is just gathering dust. So I'm not convinced i like the idea of buying a gen zoom for that.

Think that leaves me with canon 24 70ii or just go with a few primes and keep my rx100 handy to fill in the edges where neccesary. Light and simple sounds good

The truth is my photography is my hobby and I get a lot of relaxation from it. I can't sit and read on a beach like a normal person :-p

Your 5DIII and the 24-70II are like bread and butter - they just go together... You can carry one lens and get a lot of great shots... That being said, I would drop that shorty-forty in my pocket - I love what it does on my 5DIII...

+1 with Old Shooter
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2014, 07:52:38 PM »

+1 with Old Shooter
Well that's what I would expect from Dylan2470 (and not Dylan777?  ;D ). Of course I agree. I would just suggest a pocket modification so as to be able to drop an 85mm 1.2L II in it ;D  ;D  ;D

agierke

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2014, 08:38:53 PM »
This thread makes me smile.

First off... Congratulations! This is a very exiting time in your life. Enjoy every moment of it.

Let me echo others in saying don't make this about photography. I know it's tempting but you only get to honeymoon once and you and your wife should enjoy each other as much as possible!

I got married 2.5 years ago and I purposefully left my gear at home (much to my wife's relief and delight). Instead, I mixed it up and brought a Polaroid Land camera with a bunch of pack film. Due to the nature of the camera I only took pictures when the moment seemed appropriate to do so. My wife was so intrigued with the process she asked me to teach her how to use it and she had a blast picking moments to shoot as well. We ended up with a really cool set of unique polaroid prints that feel more special than anything I would have gotten if I had brought my regular gear.

I realize this might not be a realistic suggestion for you but I wanted to share the sentiment more than suggest specific lenses.

That being said if I had to pick something, I would stay true to your roots with primes but ONLY take the 35mm. It would allow you to get great shots but force you to pick your moments so that you won't be overly distracted by shooting. And if she doesn't already know...teach your wife to shoot so she can share in the moments when you are photographing!

Have a great time!!!
5D3, 5D2, 5DC, s15mm Fish, 24mm TSE, 35mm F1.4L, 50mm F1.2L, 85mm F1.8, 100mm F2.8L, 24-70mm F2.8L, 70-200mm F2.8L, 580EX, 580EX2, 600EXRT

dickgrafixstop

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2014, 08:39:04 PM »
Unless your fiance is a photo buff, or incredibly understanding, take something light, portable and un-obtrusive.
You're not going on a photo safari, you're starting a new life and she's the most important part of it.  Cameras,
and particularly camera budgets. are going to slip way down your list of important "stuff" and you might start getting used to it from the start.

JonAustin

• EOS M2
  • Telecom/IT consultant / periodic pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2014, 08:44:05 PM »
"The truth is my photography is my hobby and I get a lot of relaxation from it. I can't sit and read on a beach like a normal person :-p"

I would vote for taking a single zoom, but I think you should take what you're most comfortable with. Your loving new bride will understand, so long as your focus on the photography doesn't supersede your focus on her! My wife loves the photographic memories I make of our trips, and willingly serves as my "gear wrangler."
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 10:35:42 AM by JonAustin »
Photographic equipment

Hjalmarg1

• Rebel T5i
  • Photo Hobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 11:18:56 PM »

I'd suggest spending more time sharing time with your new wife and capturing moments to remember. The Canon 24-70mm f2.8L II is a killer in all terms (I tried not yet own it) and will give you top IQ. My second option would be the Tamron 24-70mm f2.8 VC, that is being rated better than the old Canon 24-70mm 2.8L (I own it).
Honeymoon is time to do many things but to focus on photography. Just record memories that will be once in a lifetime.
I am not a fan of books either, LoL. Congratulations and enjoy your honeymoon!
Hjalmarg1
5DIII Body, 15mm f2.8, 16-35mm f4L IS, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 100mm f2.8L IS, 35mm f2 IS, extender EF 2X III, Flash 580EX II & 270EX II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2014, 11:18:56 PM »

TAW

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2014, 11:39:11 PM »
Congratulations on getting married! 

I sold my Canon 24-105 about a month after I got my 24-70 2.8II.  My photography is all for hobby but once I used the 24-70 2.8Ii, I lost all enjoyment shooting the 24-105. 

Option 1:  buy 24-70 2.8II

Option 2:  take all your gear but only take one lens when you go out

Option 3:  Tell Ask your wife Option 1 and Option 2 and let her decide.

For anyone that has been married for any length of time knows there is really only 1 right answer.  If you don’t choose it, you will figure it out soon enough!  :D

Seriously, I would take the gear you are used unless you had a burning desire to get the new lens – traveling with the stuff is not that bad.  Only ever take out one lens a day / event.  Let the camera / pictures be a nice addition not a takeaway.  Have fun – remember this is more about your new wife having a good time then you!  
Bonus Option:  protect your lenses with Victoria Secret lingerie – unwrap a new lens every day! 

I wish you a long and happy future together. 

Good luck and congratulations!
It's not the the snake bite that kills you, it chasing after the snake.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 11:48:33 PM »
If you must take a Big Cam, 5D3 + Rented 24-70II or Tammy 24-70 + 50mm Prime. Why commit to buying a zoom for just a two week honeymoon.

The logical choice, I'd take a g15/g1x and some filters. Done and less stuff. Plus see it as a challenge anyway.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2014, 11:48:33 PM »