September 20, 2014, 02:15:59 PM

Author Topic: Off Brand: Nikon Announces the D4S  (Read 10162 times)

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Off Brand: Nikon Announces the D4S
« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2014, 10:06:28 AM »
I was right, ISO 409600 is going to revolutionize shooting!  Look at the fine details and complete lack of artifacts on this shot!  Coal mines, Mammoth caves, and Marianas Trench here I come!

Send me your vacation shots of Barad-dûr  ;D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: February 26, 2014, 10:06:28 AM »

weixing

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 26, 2014, 12:02:29 PM »
I was right, ISO 409600 is going to revolutionize shooting!  Look at the fine details and complete lack of artifacts on this shot!  Coal mines, Mammoth caves, and Marianas Trench here I come!

Full comparison here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375310&p=8784844&viewfull=1#post8784844

It's a funny one, BTW, because the guy with the D4 has every shot in focus, and the guy shooting the D4S...not so much...
   Look like a mosaic... may be Nikon should call this the "mosaic mode".  ;D

Have a nice day.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 26, 2014, 12:36:03 PM »
Well, I am looking forward to Canon's improvement in high ISO IQ in the next 6 to 7 years. Hoping that it pays off well for a next 5D allrounder cam. A 5DV in my case...

Wish they reduced pixel count back to 20 MP like the 6D in their next 5D bodies.

As I am neither a pro nor do have the budget for 1Dx ish bodies.

Alernate Track: If Canon keep the MPs at 20 for their next 6D outings I could swap my 5D for one of these, as I don't do sports, mostly low light without fast movement (nightscapes).

I'd like to see a Canon FF body with higly usable "native" ISO 51k or even 102k in the 5D and 6D segment within the next 7 years. But anyway, as I've learned by experts here, even 1/2 to 1 stop of improvement in RAW will be a great achievement. We'll see. The 409600k look intriguing to me... I just dare to think what it looks like 7 years from now... Canon, do you read me? ;-)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 12:45:23 PM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 26, 2014, 01:46:04 PM »

It's a funny one, BTW, because the guy with the D4 has every shot in focus, and the guy shooting the D4S...not so much...

Aside from that, what struck me most in these photos was the horrible greenish patches on the model's skin (far worse on the D4 than the D4S), like an exaggeration of the green bias seen on many JPEGs, camera monitors and viewfinders in recent FF Nikon dslrs.  I hope the RAW files aren't similarly infected.

willis

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2014, 06:43:34 PM »
And most likely Nikon had to fix that backfocus issue what they had with D4.
EOS 7D

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 26, 2014, 08:46:41 PM »

Full comparison here: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1375310&p=8784844&viewfull=1#post8784844

Look like a mosaic... may be Nikon should call this the "mosaic mode".  ;D

Have a nice day.

Just a minute here...that's not bad at all considering it's a 100% crop at ISO 400k.  I simply must try this camera now!! 

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2014, 09:12:18 PM »
exactly

"let's assume that the sensitivity has increased by a half stop compared  to  the old D4, it means that Nikon has higher low light sensitivity than the Canon 1dx  and  if the cameras  are exposed equally in terms of time and aperture/ f-stop the  results is closer to 1 stop compared to 1DX if the  brightness  is  meassured from the two cameras"

I'm not so sure how the D4s would perform at various ISO levels...just saying this one shot looks better than I recall seeing of what the D4 and 1DX could do at ISO 200k.  It's possible this is a jpeg and has various trickery done to it in-camera or something... I don't know.  I may be recalling what the RAW ISO 200k images looked like.  My cousin has a 1DX, but I've not seen anything out of it over ISO 25k.  I need to try it and see.  He always wants the best shots and isn't interested in experimenting at the periphery of the performance envelope, but I am.

I really do hate to spend a ton of money renting a D4s and a Nikon lens or two this spring or summer, but this makes me want to.  I still STRONGLY dislike Nikon's ergonomics, and pretty much the company itself (for various reasons)...and I still definitely think Canon is and probably always will be the better company, the better camera system...the more successful company...better at designing products...etc...You name it.  But if I have to wait til 2016 to try the 1DX successor, trying this D4s would be fun in the mean time, it seems.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: February 26, 2014, 09:12:18 PM »

David Hull

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2014, 09:32:00 AM »
With regard to the 400k ISO, IMO the real question should be "where does the ability of the AF to work crap out?"  Super high ISO isn't of much use if you can't focus clearly. 

Viggo

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2014, 10:22:33 AM »
With regard to the 400k ISO, IMO the real question should be "where does the ability of the AF to work crap out?"  Super high ISO isn't of much use if you can't focus clearly.

I've seen this comment by others also and one answer could be, and this goes for me, it's not about the pitch black use of it, it's about shutter speeds. I often use ISO 5000 outdoor in not too low light to get my 1/1000s-1/4000s shutters. When shooting sports indoors and you want some dof for example, it makes sense to have a very high iso. Have I ever needed above 51k on my 1dx, no, but I like to shoot with the widest of apertures.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

CarlTN

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2014, 01:26:08 AM »

I've seen this comment by others also and one answer could be, and this goes for me, it's not about the pitch black use of it, it's about shutter speeds. I often use ISO 5000 outdoor in not too low light to get my 1/1000s-1/4000s shutters. When shooting sports indoors and you want some dof for example, it makes sense to have a very high iso. Have I ever needed above 51k on my 1dx, no, but I like to shoot with the widest of apertures.

Well said.  I'm really just curious how the rest of the ISO noise levels compare to the 1DX, which I assume we will see in the coming weeks when the tests start getting posted.  It's entirely possible the D4S could pull ahead, even though its normal range still does not extend to 52k like the 1DX's.  Time will tell. 

I personally could make use of, and have used, ISO 102k with my 6D...but of course the noise is not good, and this was with positive exposure compensation.  Not sure it would work at all with no compensation.

But yes, you could not use the D4S for say a 1/5 second exposure at ISO 400k, with a fast aperture lens.  Its autofocus wouldn't work, in any case...neither would the 6D's.  Although just recently I was able to get my 6D to AF with live view in very dark outdoor conditions, with my Sigma 24mm f/1.8...where the phase AF would not work at all.  Obviously this is not a technique that would be useful/reliable for servo tracking, though.  But then there are those that think servo AF can't even be done with the 6D in bright noontime.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2014, 01:26:08 AM »