September 01, 2014, 08:32:24 PM

Poll

Do you have a problem with your Canon EF24-70 f/2.8L II ?

Lens Clicking
5 (11.6%)
Filter comes into contact with Front Element
0 (0%)
Front Element Coating issue
1 (2.3%)
Air Bubbles inside the lens
1 (2.3%)
No issues yet
36 (83.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: 24-70 2.8 L II summary of defects  (Read 2315 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 24-70 2.8 L II summary of defects
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 12:04:50 AM »
I had one lens with a bubble and then different lenses with clicking when I tried to buy this lens last fall.  Since I could only vote once, I voted for the bubble....

In past years, it was common for some of the better glasses to have bubbles. Some glasses with highly desirable optical properties couldn't be heated to a high enough temperate to become fully fluid so that bubbles would naturally escape. At one time bubbles were even viewed by some as a mark of quality. Now glass technology has advanced, and sometimes platinum crucibles are used, so bubbles are no more. One or a few small bubbles will have negligible effect on your images.

I think you've been had by a troll.

So I guess your tally is 0.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 12:04:50 AM »

entlassen

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 12:42:28 PM »
I don't think this poll is very useful.

First of all, the original thread of the clicking zoom at http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=15231.0  was made back in June 2013.  That was 9 months ago.  Many of the people who reported that they had a problem on that 15 page (!!!) thread are probably not going to report on this poll just b/c it comes so late.

Second and more importantly, most people who get a clicking or defective lens exchange it back to the store over and over again until they get a non-defective one.  There are many people who have exchanged at least once, and there are even stories in these threads of people exchanging 5-8 times until they got a good copy.  Yet if they came to this poll, they would have to select the "no problem" option, because that's what they have now.  The poll would not capture the fact that they sent back multiple bad copies.

The poll question of "Do you have a problem" is therefore useless.  More useful would be "Have you ever received a copy that had a problem", but even this question would be inadequate because it would not accurately represent somebody who exchanged 5 lenses until they got a good one.  So the most useful poll question would be "If you bought a 24-70mm 2.8L II, how many defective copies have you received and exchanged/returned", with options 0 [received good copy first time], 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7+.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:57:02 PM by entlassen »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 01:20:10 PM »
I had one lens with a bubble and then different lenses with clicking when I tried to buy this lens last fall.  Since I could only vote once, I voted for the bubble....

In past years, it was common for some of the better glasses to have bubbles. Some glasses with highly desirable optical properties couldn't be heated to a high enough temperate to become fully fluid so that bubbles would naturally escape. At one time bubbles were even viewed by some as a mark of quality. Now glass technology has advanced, and sometimes platinum crucibles are used, so bubbles are no more. One or a few small bubbles will have negligible effect on your images.

We've come a long way since bubbles were a sign of quality glass.  I'd certainly consider a bubble in an element to be a defect, regardless of impact on IQ.  It would be unacceptable in a $150 40/2.8, it's even more unacceptable in a $2,000 L-series lens.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 07:37:49 PM »
I don't think this poll is very useful.

You didn't bother to read did you?

Hello,

having heard of so many issues with Canon's 24-70 f/2.8L II I thought of issuing a poll.

This is the first time I create one so apologies if I have missed something.

I assumed that no one would have more than 1 issue so as to prevent someone from voting both no issues and something else.

Any comments/suggestions are welcome  :)

Sorry for that, I was trying to find a way to avoid inconsistency (say select both a problem and no problem) but I guess some inconsistency is inevitable. For example someone may had a faulty lens which returned to get another. They could select the specific problem but then the 100% correct would be to select both.

Plus, you can always make a better poll...

Anyway this is not an enumeration of all 24-70 lenses faults in the world anyway...
It is just an unscientific poll to give us an idea of 24-70 faults (among the people who select to participate)

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 10:23:08 AM »
My 24-70 II was from very 1st patch - NO ISSUE so far.
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

docsmith

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 01:37:09 PM »

I almost kept the lens with the bubble.  It was great in every other way.  The rationale for returning it was pretty simple, 1) shouldn't have a bubble, and 2) I know me, and if I were to ever sell the lens, I'd let any potential buyer know that there was a bubble in the front element, which could kill the resale value.  So, I do not regret my action.  It had nothing to do with trolls.

But I did receive 4 other copies of the lens with the clicking sound, so no, even if you discount the bubble lens, my tally is not 0.  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2014, 01:37:09 PM »