July 28, 2014, 02:57:31 AM

Author Topic: need help choosing the right macbook.  (Read 2020 times)

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: need help choosing the right macbook.
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 08:07:03 PM »
The reality is Apple laptops are over priced. Don't get me wrong they are fantastic machines and super reliable but at the end of the day consumers are paying for custom parts and design. Just think what if Apple sold their high end laptops for $500 less. They would most likely sell heaps but I'm not sure if people would still see them as a premium products. (End of rant)

If your looking for good value. The old gen MacBook Pro with the dedicated vid cards are now heavily reduced - if you can find one. They will work just as well and you'll have the bonus of a larger internal hard drive. I'm lookin get to get another MacBook laptop but I'll wait till the next ones get announced.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 08:07:03 PM »

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 09:05:16 PM »
The reality is Apple laptops are over priced. Don't get me wrong they are fantastic machines and super reliable but at the end of the day consumers are paying for custom parts and design. Just think what if Apple sold their high end laptops for $500 less. They would most likely sell heaps but I'm not sure if people would still see them as a premium products. (End of rant)

If your looking for good value. The old gen MacBook Pro with the dedicated vid cards are now heavily reduced - if you can find one. They will work just as well and you'll have the bonus of a larger internal hard drive. I'm lookin get to get another MacBook laptop but I'll wait till the next ones get announced.

I understand your argument but you contradicted yourself with this : I'm lookin get to get another MacBook laptop but I'll wait till the next ones get announced. I'm sure you'll have a great response but that's how I read it. One thing I hate more than Nikon vs Canon is the Windows /Mac debate. I love what I love, you love what you love, it's your life, your money.
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2014, 10:26:29 PM »

I understand your argument but you contradicted yourself with this : I'm lookin get to get another MacBook laptop but I'll wait till the next ones get announced. I'm sure you'll have a great response but that's how I read it. One thing I hate more than Nikon vs Canon is the Windows /Mac debate. I love what I love, you love what you love, it's your life, your money.

I actually agree with gshocked and maybe you will if you look at it objectively.
I use Apple products pretty extensively. I have an MBP, my wife an MBA, we both have iPhones and I also have an iPad and iPod.
They are very well made, but most importantly, reliable. All true.
However, it is also true that some MBPs are overpriced. The 15" ones, a case in point. You cannot get any 15" MBP (new, that is) at less than $ 2000, and actually $ 2500 considering less than 16GB memory and 500GB storage in a non-configurable system lacks foresight.
Do you think everyone can afford $ 2500 even if they love the reliability of Apple? It is easy to suggest going for a lesser model, but then you settle for a smaller screen and handicapped graphics (even though you might be paying as much as $ 1800).

I love Macs- I will never go back to Windows if I can because Macs suit me far better. And that is an objective statement. I am not going to say Macs are better in general because that is always relative.

However, that does not mean I have to agree with Apple's decisions, some of which are asinine. Look at creation of a new proprietary jack instead of using micro-USB. Look at using minidisplayport and then Thunderbolt ports, but never selling mDP-DP cables. Look at installing sensors under the MBP keyboard that will detect water damage and void our warranty, where IBM installs holes that will drain the water and save your computer. These are definitely not in the interest of the consumer, but of the stockholders.

gshocked- I am also looking to upgrade my early-2011 MBP but waiting for the next generation. Worry is, the refurbs with discrete cards will get all sold out. Hope is, they will introduce it back in the next gen. Let's see, it is worth a gamble.

Getting back to the OT- I have a 2GHz quad-core i7 with 8GB RAM, and it is perfectly sufficient for running LR/PS simultaneously (I am running PS 5.5/LR5). Now you are looking at a dual-i5 but it is the next generation, and the PCIe SSD channels much faster. I reckon you will be fine if you just assign more virtual memory to the HDD (SSD). Having said that, it is always a good idea to buy the best system you can afford. What will be enough today might be woefully limiting in a few months.

EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

slclick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 06:58:20 AM »

I actually agree with gshocked and maybe you will if you look at it objectively.
I use Apple products pretty extensively. I have an MBP, my wife an MBA, we both have iPhones and I also have an iPad and iPod.
However, it is also true that some MBPs are overpriced. The 15" ones, a case in point. You cannot get any 15" MBP (new, that is) at less than $ 2000, and actually $ 2500 considering less than 16GB memory and 500GB storage in a non-configurable system lacks foresight.
Do you think everyone can afford $ 2500 even if they love the reliability of Apple? It is easy to suggest going for a lesser model, but then you settle for a smaller screen and handicapped graphics (even though you might be paying as much as $ 1800).

I love Macs- I will never go back to Windows if I can because Macs suit me far better. And that is an objective statement. I am not going to say Macs are better in general because that is always relative.

However, that does not mean I have to agree with Apple's decisions, some of which are asinine. Look at creation of a new proprietary jack instead of using micro-USB. Look at using minidisplayport and then Thunderbolt ports, but never selling mDP-DP cables. Look at installing sensors under the MBP keyboard that will detect water damage and void our warranty, where IBM installs holes that will drain the water and save your computer. These are definitely not in the interest of the consumer, but of the stockholders.

gshocked- I am also looking to upgrade my early-2011 MBP but waiting for the next generation. Worry is, the refurbs with discrete cards will get all sold out. Hope is, they will introduce it back in the next gen. Let's see, it is worth a gamble.

Getting back to the OT- I have a 2GHz quad-core i7 with 8GB RAM, and it is perfectly sufficient for running LR/PS simultaneously (I am running PS 5.5/LR5). Now you are looking at a dual-i5 but it is the next generation, and the PCIe SSD channels much faster. I reckon you will be fine if you just assign more virtual memory to the HDD (SSD). Having said that, it is always a good idea to buy the best system you can afford. What will be enough today might be woefully limiting in a few months.

I didn't disagree on the poster having an opinion about win vs mac it was with the advice to buy an older model with the dual video setup (which I have) as opposed to the only onboard graphics, IrisPro. Then the poster goes to say they will wait for the next gen model, well that will have onboard graphics!
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 08:30:24 AM »

I didn't disagree on the poster having an opinion about win vs mac it was with the advice to buy an older model with the dual video setup (which I have) as opposed to the only onboard graphics, IrisPro. Then the poster goes to say they will wait for the next gen model, well that will have onboard graphics!

Ah, of course! I see it now.
But I also feel they might put in dedicated cards in the next gen. Who knows?
In any case, only one non-retina MBS is left in the refurb store, and all the retina ones are inboard graphics ones, so I guess the point moot :(
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 40mm f/2.8 STM, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3

slclick

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 10:23:19 AM »

Ah, of course! I see it now.
But I also feel they might put in dedicated cards in the next gen. Who knows?
In any case, only one non-retina MBS is left in the refurb store, and all the retina ones are inboard graphics ones, so I guess the point moot :(

Yep, I saw them dwindling as I was shopping last month so thats why I acted quickly!

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 04:50:12 PM »
Hi im looking for advice on choosing a new MacBook. I am looking into the MacBook pro 13" with retina
•2.4GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
•8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
•256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
 but the apple worker is telling me if I want to run adobe lightroom and photoshop I will need to get the 16gb.
so im stuck in deciding what to get I also have a budget. so I don't know if I should just stick to the one I was going to get or go with a MacBook pro that doesn't have retina and add more storage. if you have any advice id appreciate it thank you.

I have a similar configuration, though 512 SSD.  I run PS and LR without a problem - though my PS images are not enlarged (work at original pixel size of 1Dx and 5DM3).

I debated about adding faster processor, more RAM and larger SSD but in the end decided that they were not worth the extra cost.

Hope this helps.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 04:50:12 PM »

RVB

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 02:59:15 AM »
Hi im looking for advice on choosing a new MacBook. I am looking into the MacBook pro 13" with retina
•2.4GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
•8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
•256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
 but the apple worker is telling me if I want to run adobe lightroom and photoshop I will need to get the 16gb.
so im stuck in deciding what to get I also have a budget. so I don't know if I should just stick to the one I was going to get or go with a MacBook pro that doesn't have retina and add more storage. if you have any advice id appreciate it thank you.

Lightroom typically uses 3GB of ram at the minimum,performing raw conversions and other tasks raises this considerably ,kernel task and basic apps will use easily another 3Gb of ram,I think that 16GB of ram is a good idea for your next Macbook...

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 12:06:14 PM »
The one your looking at is fine. I would say maybe consider the 15" base if you can afford it so you have some extra screen real estate for lr.
1Dx, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

birdman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 01:10:46 PM »
Mac adopter all of 2.5 months here. Oh, I still have my beast-mode core i7 custom gaming desktop with SSD and 3.5TBs of storage. My older HP laptop needed moboard so gave me good excuse to finally get MacBook.  I lucked out and found open box mid-2012 stock 15" model for $1, 375. It's glossy, not matte screen with 1/2 gig Nvid 650 gpu and 2.3Ghz CP. II threw in 16GB ram and Samsung 840 Evo SSD w/750 gigs. Used OWC data doubler for SSD.

I spent much $$$ upgrading but it's sexy as hell. The change over to all Retina leaves bad taste w/me. 15" is plenty...13.3" would've been fine too I guess. After taking apart bottom and making upgrades I will admit the mystique became less and less. I say we pay for proven design, effectively simplistic OS-x and above average materials.  If u don't want Apple to give you the options they provide, Find one like mine. Usb 3.0 and SATA III in main bay and optical bay. Retina displays are beautiful.  But why not just buy a 27" display (external) and speed up work flow? Plus, the ram won't be soldered and you'll have all inputs needed including Superdrive if needed. Good luck; great products but certainly never respected S. JOBS (but may his soul rest in peace)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 01:20:37 PM by birdman »
5d2; 17-40L; 35L; 50/1.8 Mk. 1; 70-300 IS; 100mm/2.8

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 03:27:48 PM »
Mac adopter all of 2.5 months here. Oh, I still have my beast-mode core i7 custom gaming desktop with SSD and 3.5TBs of storage. My older HP laptop needed moboard so gave me good excuse to finally get MacBook.  I lucked out and found open box mid-2012 stock 15" model for $1, 375. It's glossy, not matte screen with 1/2 gig Nvid 650 gpu and 2.3Ghz CP. II threw in 16GB ram and Samsung 840 Evo SSD w/750 gigs. Used OWC data doubler for SSD.

I spent much $$$ upgrading but it's sexy as hell. The change over to all Retina leaves bad taste w/me. 15" is plenty...13.3" would've been fine too I guess. After taking apart bottom and making upgrades I will admit the mystique became less and less. I say we pay for proven design, effectively simplistic OS-x and above average materials.  If u don't want Apple to give you the options they provide, Find one like mine. Usb 3.0 and SATA III in main bay and optical bay. Retina displays are beautiful.  But why not just buy a 27" display (external) and speed up work flow? Plus, the ram won't be soldered and you'll have all inputs needed including Superdrive if needed. Good luck; great products but certainly never respected S. JOBS (but may his soul rest in peace)

You'd have to look really hard at two screens side by side to appreciate the benefit of retina (it's visible, but not appreciable IMO).
I agree, kudos to Apple engineers and boos to their marketing department.
It seems they have actually taken pains to make the 21.5" difficult for user-upgrade.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 03:27:48 PM »