September 23, 2014, 12:36:05 PM

Author Topic: Canon fanboy considering switching to Nikon  (Read 964 times)

acafinecon

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Canon fanboy considering switching to Nikon
« on: February 27, 2014, 10:01:03 PM »
Canon has ALWAYS been inferior to Nikon in terms of sensor quality. especially DR (I have seen at least 3 professional lab tests including the famous DXO).  Why do so many pros (more than 50% in a recent poll) own Canon bodies?

If Canon does not release a new camera with better DR, I'll switch to Nikon forever. 

Canon fanboy of 25 years (FD, EOS, EOS-digital systems + 20 lenses)

canon rumors FORUM

Canon fanboy considering switching to Nikon
« on: February 27, 2014, 10:01:03 PM »

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
Re: Canon fanboy considering switching to Nikon
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 10:11:53 PM »
...throws a bag of popcorn in microwave...

:D
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 10:18:27 PM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 10:30:03 PM »
1/ Canon has ALWAYS been inferior to Nikon in terms of sensor quality. especially DR (I have seen at least 3 professional lab tests including the famous DXO).  2/ Why do so many pros (more than 50% in a recent poll) own Canon bodies?

3/ If Canon does not release a new camera with better DR, I'll switch to Nikon forever. 

4/ Canon fanboy of 25 years (FD, EOS, EOS-digital systems + 20 lenses)

1/ No they haven't, they wiped the floor with Nikon sensors for years, now the seesaw is the other way. Heck for years Nikon said there was never any point to a FF sensor!

2/ Because taking the images that put food on the table is abut a lot more (a hell of a lot more) than one sensor metric. The difference in DR pales to insignificance when you need in focus images, for instance, ad Canon AF still beats the pants off Nikon AF, apart from that damn 1D MkIII mess up, which temporarily gave Nikon a sales boost.

3/ Bye, nobody cares, especially Canon. They have bean counters that work out how many people are expected to leave over any feature or non feature, you have been accounted for and ignored.

4/ So what? You don't owe Canon anything and they don't owe you anything. If more DR, or whatever you feel would serve you better by another manufacturer, is critical for your images get something else.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

BL

• 7D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 10:33:46 PM »
I'm confused...  here's your reply to a thread "Re: Considering switching to Nikon"

Why woudl you want to do that NOW?

Canon's 24-70 II and 70-200 II L DESTROYED Nikon's counterparts, at least based on 5 professional reviews.
5d3 beats D800 and 1DX beats D4, based on 3 professional reviews!

Not a good idea now.  Maybe next year.

Finally, even Nikon fascist Ken Rockwell has finally swtiched to Canon after 28 years of using it!
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 11:41:56 PM »
If Canon does not release a new camera with better DR, I'll switch to Nikon forever. 

You're going to use Nikon forever?  Gee, I thought most people didn't live that long. Good luck...   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

acafinecon

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 11:50:08 PM »
1/ Canon has ALWAYS been inferior to Nikon in terms of sensor quality. especially DR (I have seen at least 3 professional lab tests including the famous DXO).  2/ Why do so many pros (more than 50% in a recent poll) own Canon bodies?

3/ If Canon does not release a new camera with better DR, I'll switch to Nikon forever. 

1/ No they haven't, they wiped the floor with Nikon sensors for years, now the seesaw is the other way. Heck for years Nikon said there was never any point to a FF sensor!

2/ Because taking the images that put food on the table is abut a lot more (a hell of a lot more) than one sensor metric. The difference in DR pales to insignificance when you need in focus images, for instance, ad Canon AF still beats the pants off Nikon AF, apart from that damn 1D MkIII mess up, which temporarily gave Nikon a sales boost.

3/ Bye, nobody cares, especially Canon. They have bean counters that work out how many people are expected to leave over any feature or non feature, you have been accounted for and ignored.

4/ So what? You don't owe Canon anything and they don't owe you anything. If more DR, or whatever you feel would serve you better by another manufacturer, is critical for your images get something else.

ok, guys, I should have said that Canon has been lagging behind Nikon/Sony in the last 5 years (a long time) or so in sensor  DR.  I have seen too many published articles bashing Canon sensor technology and am upset becuase I have invested thousands of dollars in Canon gears.  It is a shame that even the 1DX has a sensor much worse than  Nikon/Sony cameras half its price!

I vote to have you promoted Director of Canon USA Customer Service (**).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 11:50:08 PM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 12:20:07 AM »

ok, guys, I should have said that Canon has been lagging behind Nikon/Sony in the last 5 years (a long time) or so in sensor  DR.  I have seen too many published articles bashing Canon sensor technology and am upset becuase I have invested thousands of dollars in Canon gears.  It is a shame that even the 1DX has a sensor much worse than  Nikon/Sony cameras half its price!

I vote to have you promoted Director of Canon USA Customer Service (**).

For every article published bashing Canon sensors I can link you to thousands of professionally shot and published images shot with that very gear.

Do you want to talk about it or use it? If you want to use it then show me some of your images where the DR of your current Canon sensors has seriously let you down where you have used the gear to its optimal capability. I am not talking flash misfires, incompetent use of M mode or exposure compensation, straight honest images you have shot that are ruined by the difference between Canon and Nikon DR. Until then grow up.

Now, after you have shown me your multitude of ruined images because you can't take a good shot with Canon sensors, I will point out that both Getty and Reuters, the two main shooters of the Olympics, use Canon cameras. I will then ask you how they manage to get better than good images in the highest pressure environments for sports shooters possible, yet you can't in everyday circumstances, what could possibly be the difference between the two?

As for calling me "Director of Canon USA Customer Service", why? Because I agreed with you that Nikon have "better" sensors? Because I said if Canon gear doesn't cut it for you go to a different manufacturer? Sounds kinda lame when put like that doesn't it? I am hardly pitching for Canon with those two comments  :D
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 12:20:07 AM »