October 02, 2014, 05:04:03 AM

Author Topic: Can you share your workflow?  (Read 3826 times)

chasinglight

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Re: Can you share your workflow?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 04:04:14 PM »
My workflow is probably very similar to others:

1) Transfer photos from card to system drive (SSD) via transcend usb 3.0 card reader
2) Import photos directly in to lightroom
3) review photos - ranking them
    - reject (bad photo, missed focus, unusable)
    - 0 stars (eh ....maybe)
    - 3 stars (good potential)
    - 5 stars (THE shot)
4) develop 3 and 5 star photos (if photos are similar then I will develop in bulk; i.e. sync). also sometimes I do these steps in a slightly different order...depending on what the image is screaming for.

a) apply lens correction and remove CA
    b) adjust exposure if neccessary
    c) adjust WB to taste
    d) make coarse changes to highlights and shadows
    e) make local adjustments with gradient or brush tool
    f) boomify (add contrast with tone curve
    g) add saturation or vibrance for pop if necessary
    h) remove color noise
    i) add vignette to taste if the picture needs it
    j) edit in photo shop and apply sharpening (either unsharp mask, smart sharpen, or high pass) (locally or globally) depending on type of image. Not all images require additional sharpening.
       for portraits that need it at this time I would also whiten teeth, remove distracting objects, blemishes, etc
    k) save - export
5) move folder in lightroom to data HDD for long term storage.

oh and for any "localized" adjustments I use a wacom tablet. I can't say enough good things about having a tablet, that really improved my post processing.

For panos I will use PS CS6 if they are simple. If they are tricky then huggin.
For HDR (which I rarely use) I will use PS CS6 or photomatix

I have tried other 3rd party programs such as the Topaz suite and the nik suite and others...I find that I can get everything I need within LR and PS...other programs just complicate things too much, though I have seen fantastic results from others.

like I said I doubt this is too different from most, but hope this helps!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 04:04:14 PM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 04:18:49 PM »
Wow, surprised by the lack of response.

Anything else I am missing?

Well, no offense but this has been covered several times in the past and so I assume many have failed to respond because...

-  They have responded before in the past...
-  It takes quite a bit of time to provide a good complete answer.

Everyone has their priorities for their workflow.  Some favor speed from start to finish, others favor careful sorting and/or quick classification and others want to delete as much as they can early so they can focus on the good shots.  There are many different reasons and methods to the workflow and it usually evolves over time based on lessons learned or when needs change.

Regardless of workflow, I would urge you to make sure the images always exist in more than one (at least two or more) places (different physical disks, media, etc) before you start deleting or formatting your memory cards.  And then do computer backups often.  You'll thank me someday!
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

climber

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 04:49:19 PM »
I would like to see someone's workflow who edit his (or her) images in photoshop from the begining. So, without use of lightroom before. Or if anyone know for any good tutorial for this.

climber

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 04:58:44 PM »
I would like to see someone's workflow who edit his (or her) images in photoshop from the begining. So, without use of lightroom before. Or if anyone know for any good tutorial for this.

Ups. I forgot that there is Camera Raw program and someone who don't use Lightroom (or any other program) do first adjustments in ACR instead in LR. Probably.

Dick

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 06:11:43 PM »
1) shoot RAW
2) transfer files to computer
3) pick the good photos
4) edit the picked photos and delete the rest (Wish I had always done this. Deleting bad photos leaves you with plenty of unimportant files and deleting them later on would require a vacation just for doing that.)

Seriously though, I haven't found a decent work flow on Mac. I had a crappy but functional workflow, but Mavericks made that impossible. Now I'm left with a painful procedure.

If I import straight to Aperture, there is no good way to back up the files. Or if there is, I have not discovered it. Aperture also clutters the SSD. There is no way to have everything available. There is also the possibility to have the RAWs on external drives, but then I have nothing on the Mac I carry in my camera bag.
EOS 5D Mark III + 8-15L + some boring L lenses + a 35mm Sigma...

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 06:19:32 PM »
Wow, surprised by the lack of response.

Anything else I am missing?

Well, no offense but this has been covered several times in the past and so I assume many have failed to respond because...

-  They have responded before in the past...

Firstly, thanks for sharing. Secondly, I had noticed that many have shared their workflow (parts of it) in numerous threads as you mentioned, so I am going for a pooled thread which newbies and not-so-newbies can access as a resource. It would have been great if there were stickies on this forum. And I think I spoke to soon, as you said- it takes a bit of time, and frankly many responses have trickled in already.
Once a few more responses are in, I shall try and organize them in sort of a write-up. I am also looking forward to Mackguyver's illustrated one! Really appreciate all those who have taken time to share their technical know-how not only on this thread, but also on others (Neuro's AFMA and many others, Cervantes' 5D mark III for fast action, just to name a few).
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »

Seriously though, I haven't found a decent work flow on Mac. I had a crappy but functional workflow, but Mavericks made that impossible. Now I'm left with a painful procedure.

Interesting comment, could you elaborate on the issues you are having with "Mavericks" ??

I've been using a Mac based system for a very long time, currently I use a 15" MacBook Pro "Retina" when I'm in the field, at home I'm using a 2011 MacPro, the only issue I've found to date when I upgraded to Mavericks was with the MacPro where Mavericks does not support as yet the 2009 RAID Card in my 2011 system (in fact the 2009 Card is it, there is nothing newer), So although the RAID system works, it works less than at full efficiency. There has been zero issues on my MacBook Pro.

Someone mentioned earlier they don't use Adobe LR because it doesn't support the 1Dx, that's not correct in my experience, I have used LR since the first iteration through to currently LR5, all have supported my Camera Bodies, including my current Bodies, 1Dx, 5DMK III, 5DMK II, 1DMK IV, A7R.

As far as a devised system goes, I use the following system and software, all of which works without issue on Mavericks.

Shoot in Full RAW (90% of my Images are shot Manual with WB selected for the conditions and ISO selected)

I Import all Images direct from the Card, or from the External HD if I've been in the Field for a lOng time & already transferred to my 2 1TB HD's, I keep two HD's with 2 Copies of everything.

When I get Home I transfer all Images to my External 32TB Gspeed es Pro system set on RAID 5.

Import all Images into Light Room 5 (as a part of the broader Creative Cloud Suite)(from my Gspeed External HD) I manage Files in LR5 as it seems to do the job very well, Images are easy to locate even when you move them from one External HD to a new HD, just use "Locate in Finder" Tag One Image in the new Drive and Presto your complete Folder is found.

Work through my Images and make a selection by "Flagging" which Images I will work with (I delete nothing, even obviously poor Images, you never know what Software will be able to do in the future).

Once I have all Images selected that I want to work on I begin in LR5 by making the following adjustments in LR

Crop/WB adjustment if required (I make only these adjustments in LR as I like to keep everything on a separate Layer so I can go back and make adjustments if necessary, Layers still does this better than LR)

I then move to Photo Shop CC & make broad adjustments in these areas all on a separate Layer

Brightness/Levels/Curves

If a more Local adjustment is required I will generally make a separate Layer in PS CC and go into NIK's Viveza2

If more work is required at this Point, all adjustments are made on separate Layers.

If required I will go into On One's Perfect Photo Suite 8 and utilise adjustments in On One on the built in system of Layers, it's more intuitive than PSCC I feel and everything comes back into PSCC on a separate Layer.

The only other Software I use is Filter Forge, I use Filter Forge for any last adjustments such as Broad brush lighting, Setting in place a Vignette.

I print from PS CC as I find it's better as a Printing Engine than LR5.

I adjust Image size in On One Perfect Photo Suite "Resize".

I adjust for noise where necessary in NIK's Dfine2

I adjust sharpening in PS CC.

A typical Image I want to just show may take around 30 Minutes (this is dependent on how much I dicked it in Camera of course, takes longer the worse job I made of the capture).

To Print may take a lot longer as I would typically go back to adjust for Printing which takes more work than just showing on the Web or on a Computer/iPad etc.

Software used on 95% of my Images

Light Room 5
PhotoShop CC
NIK Suite
On One Perfect Photo Suite 8
Filter forge

Like Macguyver I would be happy to put this process into a workflow Sheet with Images type arrangement, not sure once it's done though how people get to see it, so welcome to hear if there's interest & suggestions on how to show it once it's done.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 08:22:24 PM by eml58 »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »

wsmith96

• 7D
  • Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 08:59:36 PM »
I guess the lack of responses is because the reply would be so long and detailed.
If I were to give you my workflow in detail, it would take so much time. :(
I've been thinking of writing mine up, but as sanj says, it will take some time.  If I put it together, I was thinking about making it a document showing the full flow of one image with screen shots beginning with my import into Photomechanic, processing with DxO and ending with final export from Photoshop.  Does that sound like something that you and other people might be interested in seeing?
I would be interested.
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.

sposh

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 10:09:16 PM »
For what it's worth, here is my travel workflow using simply an Android tablet. I am travelling with my family for 8 months round SE Asia, NZ and N America, so options are limited.

Carrying a 7-inch Nexus 7 with high res screen (aka retina), a USB OTG cable, CF card reader and a couple of high-capacity USB sticks (128GB and 32GB). Using a 5D II with 24-105 (sold my 100-400 and tripod before leaving, would have been too much for family-friendly travel shooting - never much time for changing lenses or using tripod), 580 EX II flash with a diffuser, and circ polarizer. Shooting RAW+JPEG.

1. Copy CF contents to tablet using USB OTG + CF card reader with ES File Explorer
2. View JPEGs being VERY critical and deleting chaff with QuickPic (the only image viewer I found that can delete files)
3. Delete corresponding RAWs with ES File Explorer
4. Select a few pictures for the day's blog (http://jela2014.blogspot.com/) entry with QuickPic - open for editing in Photo Editor
5. Rarely I will need to retouch curves
6. Occasionally I straighten + crop
7. Other times I might just crop
8. Resize - shortest side to 1024px
9. Save blog copy
10. Copy JPEGs to 32GB USB stick (backup)
11. Move RAWs+JPEGs (and the odd video) to 128GB USB stick - if space becomes an issue I can delete the JPEGs

Raptors

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 10:25:19 PM »

Interesting comment, could you elaborate on the issues you are having with "Mavericks" ??

I've been using a Mac based system for a very long time, currently I use a 15" MacBook Pro "Retina" when I'm in the field, at home I'm using a 2011 MacPro, the only issue I've found to date when I upgraded to Mavericks was with the MacPro where Mavericks does not support as yet the 2009 RAID Card in my 2011 system (in fact the 2009 Card is it, there is nothing newer), So although the RAID system works, it works less than at full efficiency. There has been zero issues on my MacBook Pro.

Someone mentioned earlier they don't use Adobe LR because it doesn't support the 1Dx, that's not correct in my experience, I have used LR since the first iteration through to currently LR5, all have supported my Camera Bodies, including my current Bodies, 1Dx, 5DMK III, 5DMK II, 1DMK IV, A7R.

As far as a devised system goes, I use the following system and software, all of which works without issue on Mavericks.

Shoot in Full RAW (90% of my Images are shot Manual with WB selected for the conditions and ISO selected)

I Import all Images direct from the Card, or from the External HD if I've been in the Field for a lOng time & already transferred to my 2 1TB HD's, I keep two HD's with 2 Copies of everything.

When I get Home I transfer all Images to my External 32TB Gspeed es Pro system set on RAID 5.

Import all Images into Light Room 5 (as a part of the broader Creative Cloud Suite)(from my Gspeed External HD) I manage Files in LR5 as it seems to do the job very well, Images are easy to locate even when you move them from one External HD to a new HD, just use "Locate in Finder" Tag One Image in the new Drive and Presto your complete Folder is found.

Work through my Images and make a selection by "Flagging" which Images I will work with (I delete nothing, even obviously poor Images, you never know what Software will be able to do in the future).

Once I have all Images selected that I want to work on I begin in LR5 by making the following adjustments in LR

Crop/WB adjustment if required (I make only these adjustments in LR as I like to keep everything on a separate Layer so I can go back and make adjustments if necessary, Layers still does this better than LR)

I then move to Photo Shop CC & make broad adjustments in these areas all on a separate Layer

Brightness/Levels/Curves

If a more Local adjustment is required I will generally make a separate Layer in PS CC and go into NIK's Viveza2

If more work is required at this Point, all adjustments are made on separate Layers.

If required I will go into On One's Perfect Photo Suite 8 and utilise adjustments in On One on the built in system of Layers, it's more intuitive than PSCC I feel and everything comes back into PSCC on a separate Layer.

The only other Software I use is Filter Forge, I use Filter Forge for any last adjustments such as Broad brush lighting, Setting in place a Vignette.

I print from PS CC as I find it's better as a Printing Engine than LR5.

I adjust Image size in On One Perfect Photo Suite "Resize".

I adjust for noise where necessary in NIK's Dfine2

I adjust sharpening in PS CC.

A typical Image I want to just show may take around 30 Minutes (this is dependent on how much I dicked it in Camera of course, takes longer the worse job I made of the capture).

To Print may take a lot longer as I would typically go back to adjust for Printing which takes more work than just showing on the Web or on a Computer/iPad etc.

Software used on 95% of my Images

Light Room 5
PhotoShop CC
NIK Suite
On One Perfect Photo Suite 8
Filter forge

Like Macguyver I would be happy to put this process into a workflow Sheet with Images type arrangement, not sure once it's done though how people get to see it, so welcome to hear if there's interest & suggestions on how to show it once it's done.

Eml58...I gather you were referring  to my earlier post, regarding Lightroom not supporting the 1DX.  I am using a PC based system, and I cannot open the raw files in Lightroom3...I was told by Adobe that I would have to upgrade to Lightoom4.  Is that correct??

Also, I would be very interested in viewing yours as well as Mackguyver's workflow.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 11:18:52 PM »

Eml58...I gather you were referring  to my earlier post, regarding Lightroom not supporting the 1DX.  I am using a PC based system, and I cannot open the raw files in Lightroom3...I was told by Adobe that I would have to upgrade to Lightoom4.  Is that correct??

Also, I would be very interested in viewing yours as well as Mackguyver's workflow.

I was yes, and Ahhhh, now I understand.

I believe that's correct to a degree, I generally have had very little issues with this as I always upgrade & currently I'm on the Creative Cloud option.

Adobe do drop off some updating I understand to older versions, ensures we conform and upgrade, I know I had to update to Camera RAW 7.1 recently to ensure I had compatibility with my A7R.

You may well find that you will need to upgrade to LR4 stand alone version to get 1Dx compatibility, it's a bummer, but I think most Software Companies operate like Adobe, Apple etc.

EdB

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 11:26:10 PM »
I really hate the term workflow, it sounds like someone is on their period while working. As far as my processing goes, import, rate, tag and adjust whatever needs to be adjusted. Every image is different so there is no set profile or filter that I use. I start with the raw and do whatever I feel is right for the image.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 11:32:49 PM »

With a 1DX you really should spend the few dollars to upgrade to LR5, here are lots of improvements in it especially in the Develop Module.

But, you can open your 1DX RAW files in LR3 if you first convert them to the lossless RAW DNG format via Adobe free and totally supported program DNG Convertor.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 11:32:49 PM »

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2014, 12:10:25 AM »

If I import straight to Aperture, there is no good way to back up the files. Or if there is, I have not discovered it. Aperture also clutters the SSD. There is no way to have everything available. There is also the possibility to have the RAWs on external drives, but then I have nothing on the Mac I carry in my camera bag.
TimeMachine works fine for me to a NAS. In addition to that, I back up to the same NAS with rsync every now and then using hardlinks for incremental backups.

Aperture also has Vaults for backing up images - but I have never used that.

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 04:52:10 AM »
But, you can open your 1DX RAW files in LR3 if you first convert them to the lossless RAW DNG format via Adobe free and totally supported program DNG Convertor.

See I didn't know that, good one Private.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 04:52:10 AM »