September 02, 2014, 06:26:28 PM

Author Topic: Can you share your workflow?  (Read 3693 times)

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Can you share your workflow?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 06:24:17 AM »
Like Macguyver I would be happy to put this process into a workflow Sheet with Images type arrangement, not sure once it's done though how people get to see it, so welcome to hear if there's interest & suggestions on how to show it once it's done.
I would really appreciate if you would share that with us.
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2014, 06:24:17 AM »

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2014, 09:21:48 AM »
Like Macguyver I would be happy to put this process into a workflow Sheet with Images type arrangement, not sure once it's done though how people get to see it, so welcome to hear if there's interest & suggestions on how to show it once it's done.
I'm planning to upload mine as a PDF, or PDFs if the 6MB limit is too small.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2014, 09:44:05 AM »

I'm planning to upload mine as a PDF, or PDFs if the 6MB limit is too small.

Thanks.  I know this will take some of your time and I am looking forward to it.  Always curious to see how others do things.  I learn a lot this way and change my methods accordingly.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

procentje20

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2014, 10:08:05 AM »
My workflow is as follows:

So, I shoot RAW on a CF card, and video and JPG on SD card. I use an iPad to review the JPGs which are processed a lot by the automatic settings so I have a vague idea of what the images might become in post.

1 ) card in card reader, and copy to \raw import\ directory on my 1st external drive.

I keep the same folder naming as the camera uses to just put 10k pictures in a folder and move to the next one. No sorting whatsoever on the disk.

2 ) card still in card reader I move the files to \raw import\ directory on 2nd external drive.

Both drives are chain locked to the concrete wall. My mac is not. So thieves wil take the mac, and not the drives.

3) import all in lightroom and create a collection of the event I shot. If its a gigapixel or virtual tour it lands in that sub collection.

4) flag and reject run of the pictures. Just quickly going over whats a keeper and whats not.

5 ) select "flagged" and crop all pictures to a nice composition. If I feel I don't have enough pictures in the flagged category I might look trough non flagged non rejected to upgrade the rating on a few more.

6 ) do color, contrast and sharpness magic

7 ) export to one of my many export profiles. I make a profile every time my existing profiles don't cover my needs.

8 ) distribute the pictures in whatever way applicable. Normally I upload to a /customers/ directory in a protected zip file on my website.

Backups are done from my 1st external drive to an old Dell 2950 in the shed (yes I dug a CAT7 UTP trough the lawn. Wife wasn't too hapy about the trench trough her Tagetes). I configured that to wake-on-lan and auto power off so it wont eat too much power wile on. Its a dual XEON machine I also use to render panoramas, and only cost me 96 euros at a proper shop with warrantee.

If anybody is interested I'll do a separate gigapixel workflow :)
5DIII | 8-15/4  | 24-70/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85 1.8 | 150-600/5-6.3 | 35-80/4-5.6 PZ | Canonet 28

dawgfanjeff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Site:
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2014, 11:01:34 AM »
Here's mine...

1. Place card in USB 3.0 card reader.
2. Run script (I am in IT) to move everything to c:\pixtemp\<YYYY-MM-DD>.  This is an SSD.  I copy here to drastically speed up PS work.   Now the card is clean for the next session.
3. Open PS, drag .CR2s in, it opens them in ACR (Adobe Camera Raw).  I have opened 500 at a time without an issue.  That many would take a minute or so.  Just guessing, I could benchmark it if anybody's interested.
4. Do a cursory glance at each pic, deleting any obviously bad ones.   This is probably over half or so.
5. Exit ACR (this will perform the actual delete).
6. Drop .CR2s back in, do more detail edits, repeat as necessary.
7. When done, move files from c:\pixtemp to d:\pictures\<YYYY-MM-DD> on slower, larger storage, still on PC.
8. Automated script runs periodically to back them up to my NAS in the house.

I haven't embraced Lightroom (yet); I don't like the library concept, I can organize them myself and I like to be agnostic, not locked into the Adobe way of doing that.  This allows me flexibility in organization tools.
One of these days I'll buy a large portable storage disk and occasionally back files up to it and keep it at the office for offsite storage.  Hope this helps.

5DIII, | 100 2.8 Macro | 24-105L |
70-200 f/4L IS | 50 1.4 | 10-22 (for sale!)

climber

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2014, 11:56:35 AM »
Here's mine...

2. Run script (I am in IT) to move everything to c:\pixtemp\<YYYY-MM-DD>.  This is an SSD.  I copy here to drastically speed up PS work.   Now the card is clean for the next session.
3. Open PS, drag .CR2s in, it opens them in ACR (Adobe Camera Raw).  I have opened 500 at a time without an issue.  That many would take a minute or so.  Just guessing, I could benchmark it if anybody's interested.
4. Do a cursory glance at each pic, deleting any obviously bad ones.   This is probably over half or so.
7. When done, move files from c:\pixtemp to d:\pictures\<YYYY-MM-DD> on slower, larger storage, still on PC.

I haven't embraced Lightroom (yet); I don't like the library concept, I can organize them myself and I like to be agnostic, not locked into the Adobe way of doing that.  This allows me flexibility in organization tools.
One of these days I'll buy a large portable storage disk and occasionally back files up to it and keep it at the office for offsite storage.  Hope this helps.

@dawgfanjeff: Do you edit your images more or less only in ACR and then if image require any additional processing in PS you go there. Or do you do everything only in PS?

Lurker

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 12:55:49 PM »
Art Morris at Birds As Art talks about his workflow on his blog pretty regularly.
He also has some instruction sets for sale with detailed settings and processes. 
I know, why pay if you can get it here for free?  Just saying.

One of his latest adjustments, which I am trying to adopt, has been to use Canon DPP to process the raw file and save it as a tiff file.  Then keep and process the tiff.  The reason for this is Canon DPP can process the RAW file better because it's tuned just to Canon files while Adobe has a generic process which works with all cameras.  Canon DPP produces a finer grained noise which is easier to clean up while maintaining fine detail.

Also, at least to begin with, Adobe didn't do a very good job with some of the new cameras, I think it was the 1D X and maybe the 5D III too.

You can process the tiff in LR, PS and likely most other imaging software.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2014, 12:55:49 PM »

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2014, 01:16:20 PM »
Lurker, I follow Art Morris on and off, too, and his blog has tons of great information on it.  He's a bit of curmudgeon in some of the correspondence I've had with him, but a good guy all around and one who consistently produces excellent and often amazing work.  He's also a Canon Explorer of Light, which is probably why he uses DPP, but I'm of the opinion that you can get great results from any RAW processor if you know what you're doing.  I find Adobe's to be the easiest to use, and DPP to be the most cumbersome.  The Digital Lens Optimizer (DLO) is amazing and I'll probably use it next time I do a large print, but I find the application slow and the interface awkward.  I haven't tried it since my most recent hardware upgrade, but like LR, I just haven't clicked with it.  I've used PS for over 20 years, and paid (yes it cost $99) for the first Adobe RAW release, so it's second hand to me and I use it for everything other than RAW "development" or whatever you want to call it.  DxO frustrated me, but I took the time to learn it and now it's my primary tool for RAW files.

I think the key is finding a tool that your comfortable with and then mastering it.  If you don't know what all of the sliders, settings, and options in your program do, to borrow a phrase, you're leaving money on the table.  It doesn't mean you use them all, but knowing what they do and when to use them is the key to getting the best images out of your RAW files.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

dawgfanjeff

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Flickr Site:
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2014, 07:26:05 PM »
Here's mine...

@dawgfanjeff: Do you edit your images more or less only in ACR and then if image require any additional processing in PS you go there. Or do you do everything only in PS?

I do 99% in ACR, unless I need PS for something specific (HDR, or printing.  I'd love to use Canon DPP, but everytime I try, it's a pain in the ass for me.

I did leave a step out...any pics I'll post to flickr or need a jpg of for some reason, I save as JPG from ACR into a .\jpg directory.
5DIII, | 100 2.8 Macro | 24-105L |
70-200 f/4L IS | 50 1.4 | 10-22 (for sale!)

Logan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2014, 08:27:35 PM »
Here's mine...

I too like to manually organize my files, and was skeptical about the value of lightrooms library. Fast forward, used it for almost a year, and I am a convert. The import process gives me all the control I need to automatically copy to the correct location, as if i was doing it manually, but all automatic. The library structure does not need to be your only way of sorting photos, I have mine set to import into a year folder, and then folders by date shot.

An added bonus that I didn't see until I tried it is virtual copies, keeps the directory system from getting cluttered up with different version of the same photo.

The downside for me is in order to move a year of photos to another drive, it MUST be done from within lightroom, or else lightroom loses track of the physical location and its somewhat laborious to get them all tied in again.

Grumbaki

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2014, 07:14:04 AM »
Pretty simple as I don't like/want to post process a lot. Keeping it as seen.

1- All raw to the internal HDD (Fusion drive)
2- Copy to Nas
3- import in aperture
4- Sort by:
a- flag the good
b- go through unflagged to double check, reject all.
c- rate all flagged 2 to 4.
d- re-rate 2s in 2 or 1.
5- Post prod anything 2+very light stuff, no fancy brushes. No point in going into details.
6- Re rate. Variance shouldn't be more than 1. Focus on 4 to find some 5 that are the 2-5% of the whole set deemed "publishable"
7- Keywords
8- Locations (i need that damn hotshoe gps)
9- Back up on Nas as raw. Back up 3+ as raw on the secret hard drive. Back up as full size jpeg on USB key that is used to drop them later on a personnal HDD that lives in my office safe box.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2014, 07:14:04 AM »