September 19, 2014, 04:20:42 AM

Author Topic: Can you share your workflow?  (Read 3773 times)

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Can you share your workflow?
« on: February 28, 2014, 06:48:08 AM »
As I take more and more photos that are not just for hobby or travel that can be stored away and revisited at leisure, I find it is extremely important to devise a workflow that involves transfer of files to computer, fixing distortion, post-processing, cataloging, etc.
It would be great if those of you who have devised a smooth-running workflow for yourself can share the process with the chronology and software used.
Thanks as always.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

canon rumors FORUM

Can you share your workflow?
« on: February 28, 2014, 06:48:08 AM »

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Can you share your workflow?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 01:25:26 AM »
Wow, surprised by the lack of response.
Anyway, I shall describe mine (less than optimal, which is why I asked):
Transfer images to computer (MBP) using Adobe bridge
Import pictures using Lightroom
Develop most images using LR. Maybe one or two using PS.
Export into jpeg

I don't know if Bridge is the best tool for transferring.
Where does distortion correction come in (using something like DxO, not the manual correction in LR)?
Anything else I am missing?
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 02:25:25 AM »
I guess the lack of responses is because the reply would be so long and detailed.
If I were to give you my workflow in detail, it would take so much time. :(

Logan

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 10:47:36 AM »
well mines pretty basic you are probably looking for pro input which i do not have, but i hate too see a good thread go unanswered.

--shoot just raw, got tired of keeping track of all the dupes.
--import using lightroom, in folders by year-shot date.
--go through, rating keepers, rejecting others (x), try my best to keyword stuff right away and put certain things in a couple collections. (hdr, panoramas, work website photos)
--i set new defaults with higher clarity and contrast and lower sharpening, and auto lens corrections. i am going to set up some noise reduction for higher isos, just found out you can set different defaults for different isos.
--i have a few export settings set up,
one with a 1000px longest side jpg resize at like 98% quality for facebook, that puts them in a subfolder.
one full quality and size jpg subfolder
several for a website i maintain, just standardized resizes and put in a certain location
one full quality choose folder later for putting prints on memory stick.

--i use photoshop for stitching etc. and sometimes i mess around with other things, i find most free plugins are just cheesy filter effects, all the adjustments i need are in lightroom.

i pay the 10 bucks a month, its a good deal in my opinion.

why do you transfer with bridge and not lightroom? i found bridge to be redundant when i got lightroom.
have you tried the adaptive wide angle in photoshop? it fixes distortion manually very nicely, but there are a lot of esoteric adjustments that are not well explained, you kind of have to mess around to see what does what. I have de-fished some photos and de-curved some panos and been happy with the results if not the time it took. I looked at DxO but its expensive for what it does and I live in a small town and dont get to do much architechtural city stuff that needs good correction. putting some vertical lines on trees and a horizontal one on the horizon works good on shots from my bower fisheye.

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 01:18:17 PM »
well mines pretty basic you are probably looking for pro input which i do not have, but i hate too see a good thread go unanswered.

--shoot just raw, got tired of keeping track of all the dupes.
--import using lightroom, in folders by year-shot date.
--go through, rating keepers, rejecting others (x), try my best to keyword stuff right away and put certain things in a couple collections. (hdr, panoramas, work website photos)
--i set new defaults with higher clarity and contrast and lower sharpening, and auto lens corrections. i am going to set up some noise reduction for higher isos, just found out you can set different defaults for different isos.
--i have a few export settings set up,
one with a 1000px longest side jpg resize at like 98% quality for facebook, that puts them in a subfolder.
one full quality and size jpg subfolder
several for a website i maintain, just standardized resizes and put in a certain location
one full quality choose folder later for putting prints on memory stick.

--i use photoshop for stitching etc. and sometimes i mess around with other things, i find most free plugins are just cheesy filter effects, all the adjustments i need are in lightroom.

i pay the 10 bucks a month, its a good deal in my opinion.

why do you transfer with bridge and not lightroom? i found bridge to be redundant when i got lightroom.
have you tried the adaptive wide angle in photoshop? it fixes distortion manually very nicely, but there are a lot of esoteric adjustments that are not well explained, you kind of have to mess around to see what does what. I have de-fished some photos and de-curved some panos and been happy with the results if not the time it took. I looked at DxO but its expensive for what it does and I live in a small town and dont get to do much architechtural city stuff that needs good correction. putting some vertical lines on trees and a horizontal one on the horizon works good on shots from my bower fisheye.

Thanks for sharing.
I shall importing with LR. Indeed it seemed cludgy importing with Bridge and then moving to LR.
Will try the adaptive wide angle. I use the Bower 14mm, and it definitely needs some help with the distortion.

@Sanj: I have seen some huge posts when people rant about/against Canon, etc., so I am sure size is not a limiting factor here :)

Logan

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 09:56:15 PM »
i really liked bridge, but it seems like lightroom duplicates a lot of the functionality and isn't made to tie in with it very well. A lot of powerful stuff in lightroom is hidden behind a lot of menus and bad UI, but I like not having to open a ton of programs and hunt down photos. the keyword sorting is very useful but you have to be diligent about tagging photos!

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 12:58:28 AM »
I shoot RAW with names for each project (can do with some camera bodies) like ZOO_1234 for a zoo trip.  Then, I import into a folder on the HDD specifically for that event with name and date (like ZOO 14.MAR) using a card reader.  Then import that folder into LR. 

First "pass" is Keywords (like Zoo, Animals, Tiger, etc.).
Next pass is selecting and rejecting.
Then, the real time consuming begins....I've got some defaults, fortunately, and depending on the shot, the processing could take moments or minutes.
Occasional edit in PS if needed.
Then, upload to Smugmug or save as JPEGs on HDD.

Do wish it was faster.  Have used DxO in the past cause it is more automated but I felt like I had less control.  In fairness, I never hunkered down and learned how to use all DxO can do.  Also used DPP but felt like it was more time consuming than LR.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 12:58:28 AM »

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 11:02:32 PM »
I guess the lack of responses is because the reply would be so long and detailed.
I've been thinking of writing mine up, but as sanj says, it will take some time.  If I put it together, I was thinking about making it a document showing the full flow of one image with screen shots beginning with my import into Photomechanic, processing with DxO and ending with final export from Photoshop.  Does that sound like something that you and other people might be interested in seeing?
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III
I only shoot at ISO 100 with perfect technique - should I get a Nikon?

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 01:04:16 AM »
I've been thinking of writing mine up, but as sanj says, it will take some time.  If I put it together, I was thinking about making it a document showing the full flow of one image with screen shots beginning with my import into Photomechanic, processing with DxO and ending with final export from Photoshop.  Does that sound like something that you and other people might be interested in seeing?

Yes, indeedy! I have recently got the DxO trial versions (Filmpack and Viewpoint) and while very useful standalones, I want to incorporate those in some meaningful high-throughput way. And then it will be totally worth buying them.

Eldar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 02:21:52 AM »
That would be most interesting mackguyver. I have LR, PS, DxO, On One and a few others, but my workflow is just LR. I just bought an Eizo calibrated monitor some time back, so, to get the best out of it, I need some inspiration and good advice to get the others in the loop.
5DIII, 1DX, 8-15/4L, 16-35 f4L IS, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 70-300/4-5.6L IS, 200-400/4L IS 1.4x, Zeiss 15/2.8, 17/4L TS-E, Zeiss 21/2.8, 24/3.5L TS-E II, Sigma 35/1.4 Art, Zeiss Otus 55/1.4, 85/1.2L II, 100/2.8L IS Macro, Zeiss 135/2, 600/4L IS II

knoxtown

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 11:14:48 AM »
Photomechanic for metadata, tagging, and captions.Then straight to FTP program and sent to clients. Once I'm back home or working on a personal project, I use ACR + Photoshop. No plugins or anything, just try to keep it simple.
Conflict Photographer - 5d Mark III, 50mm 1.2, 20mm 2.8, 24mm 1.4, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 12:23:09 PM »
That would be most interesting mackguyver. I have LR, PS, DxO, On One and a few others, but my workflow is just LR. I just bought an Eizo calibrated monitor some time back, so, to get the best out of it, I need some inspiration and good advice to get the others in the loop.
Okay, I'll start working on it this week and congrats on the monitor.  I went the 30" Dell route, but ended up spending as much on a new Quadro graphics card as the monitor to get 10/30-bit color and better speed in Adobe apps.
EOS 1D X, 5DIII, M + EF 24 f/1.4II, 50 f/1.2, 85 f/1.2II, 300 f/2.8 IS II || 16-35 f/4 IS, 24-70 f/2.8II, 70-200 f/2.8II || TS-E 17 f/4, 24 f/3.5II || M 22 f/2, M 11-22 f/4-5.6 IS | 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS || 1.4x III, 2x III

climber

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 01:02:28 PM »
Mackguyver, I'm also interested if you write your workflow. A lot. :)

I'm also interested to know how do you guys store your finished photos. Do you use LR and maybe PS somewhere in between and then store your images in separate LR catalogs? That's how I'm doing now. So, I have different catalogs for every shooting. Let say, if I go to shoot sunset just for 2 hours, I put finished photos in separate catalog. And if I make only two good pictures, I store in that catalog only two pictures. This is good for me, becase it is non-destructive approach and I can change anything anytime.

But this non-destructive approach is also achievable with PS alone (without using LR) if you do everything in layers, isn't it? I'm not so familiar with PS editing, that's why I'm asking this? Is this approach meaningful?

With LR catalogs you must be quite careful not to mix all those files and previews. I had some troubles once when I moved around some files and it wasn't good at the end.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 01:02:28 PM »

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 01:18:14 PM »
Mackguyver, I'm also interested if you write your workflow. A lot. :)

I'm also interested to know how do you guys store your finished photos. Do you use LR and maybe PS somewhere in between and then store your images in separate LR catalogs? That's how I'm doing now. So, I have different catalogs for every shooting. Let say, if I go to shoot sunset just for 2 hours, I put finished photos in separate catalog. And if I make only two good pictures, I store in that catalog only two pictures. This is good for me, becase it is non-destructive approach and I can change anything anytime.

But this non-destructive approach is also achievable with PS alone (without using LR) if you do everything in layers, isn't it? I'm not so familiar with PS editing, that's why I'm asking this? Is this approach meaningful?

With LR catalogs you must be quite careful not to mix all those files and previews. I had some troubles once when I moved around some files and it wasn't good at the end.
I'll definitely work on getting it together and I don't use LR.  In it's early iterations, it was very slow, somewhat buggy, and I heard horror stories about corrupted catalogs.  I tried it a couple of versions later and still found it annoyingly slow, so I again passed on it.  I have it now with my CC subscription and might give it another whirl, but for now, my final images go like this - I store the photos in a dated/named folder.  The CR2 file stays untouched other than renaming in Photomechanic (something like Red_Hills_Horse_Trials_Day2_DATE_SEQUENCE#) and all Photomechanic metadata is stored in a XMP file.  I process in DxO and output a 16-bit TIFF and full-quality JPEG.  If I edit it further in PhotoShop, I use and then save the TIFF and export a new JPEG.  I then back up the CR2, XMP, DOP (DxO Adjustments), TIFF, and JPEG files.  That way I have the RAW file and all outputs.  The JPEG file is somewhat redundant, but my guess is that I'll be able to open a JPEG file nearly forever, versus the other formats and it's not a lot of space.

Raptors

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »

I personally...and I believe I speak for others....would be very happy to learn how the pros do it. 

I used to use Lightroom3 until Adobe stopped supporting new camera's...specifically the 1DX. I now use Downloader Pro by Breeze Systems, it's a fast and simple way to transfer photos from camera to PC.  I then use DPP to convert the RAW capture to either a TIFF or JPG. There are several tutorials online, but if you're interested, take a look at The Digital Photo Professional RAW Conversion Guide by Arthur Morris with Arash Hazeghi...and also The Professional Photographer's Guide to Noise Reduction for EOS Cameras by Arash Hazeghi, Ph.D.  I cannot go into the specific techniques described in these eGuides, as the content in these guides is licensed solely to the individual who purchased it...which I have both.  I can tell you that using these guides, the conversions in DPP are superior to Adobe's camera raw in terms of colour accuracy and image quality...IMHO

Waiting patiently for Mackguyver's document  ;) ;)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:55:30 PM by Raptors »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 01:39:34 PM »