October 23, 2014, 05:10:06 AM

Author Topic: UPDATE: EOS M2 Not Coming to North America  (Read 6724 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
UPDATE: EOS M2 Not Coming to North America
« on: February 28, 2014, 08:50:13 AM »

*UPDATE*

Imaging Resource received information from Canon USA after the story went to press stating the following:

“We received an update after we went to press that Canon USA does not have plans to sell the EOS M2 at this time. We’ll let you guys know if this changes!”

Original Story

Imaging Resource did an interview with Canon executive Mr. Go Tokura and they touched on the EOS M2 and its availability worldwide.

When asked if the EOS M2 would come to the USA, Mr Tokura stated “There are plans for the M2 to arrive in the U.S.”. We’re assuming this also means there are plans to bring it to Europe.

Canon also plans to release more lenses for the EOS M system, as Mr Tokura says “I can assure you that we do have plans to roll out some lenses in the future. As far as speaking concretely about a roadmap, I’m afraid that based on our company policy, we can’t make any concrete statements about that.”

We’d be told previously that the original EOS M’s very high stock levels at North American and European retailers played a big roll in the M2 not coming to these markets. Once those stocks are depleted, I imagine we’ll see the arrival of the M2, or possibly an M3.

Read the full interview

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

UPDATE: EOS M2 Not Coming to North America
« on: February 28, 2014, 08:50:13 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: EOS M2 Coming to North America & Europe?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 08:51:44 AM »
M3 with DPAF.  Sold.  :)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

slclick

• Canon 7D MK II
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 09:00:48 AM »

Boy if they were to make that AND a 7D2, I'd be in a real quandary about a backup camera
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 10:22:22 AM »
Read the interview and also the link to the technical AF question, answered by Chuck Westfall. This blew my mind a bit. Thought I'd share it.

"On the other hand, because AF precision is proportional to maximum aperture with Dual Pixel CMOS AF, it scales itself automatically and dynamically according to the supported EF or EF-S lens in use. For example, Dual Pixel CMOS AF achieves a longer baseline for AF precision with an f/4 lens compared to an f/5.6 lens, and so on all the way down the line to f/1.0. At the other end of the scale, Dual Pixel CMOS AF supports autofocusing with maximum apertures as small as f/11, a full two stops smaller than is possible with the 70D's TTL-SIR-AF system. And because the AF data is measured directly from the imaging sensor, there is no need for AF Microadjustment."

I kinda want to try a 70D out for the day.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:29:39 AM by Zv »
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 10:30:51 AM »
Read the interview and also the link to the answer to the technical AF question by Chuck Westfall. This blew my mind a bit. Thought I'd share it.

"On the other hand, because AF precision is proportional to maximum aperture with Dual Pixel CMOS AF, it scales itself automatically and dynamically according to the supported EF or EF-S lens in use. For example, Dual Pixel CMOS AF achieves a longer baseline for AF precision with an f/4 lens compared to an f/5.6 lens, and so on all the way down the line to f/1.0. At the other end of the scale, Dual Pixel CMOS AF supports autofocusing with maximum apertures as small as f/11, a full two stops smaller than is possible with the 70D's TTL-SIR-AF system. And because the AF data is measured directly from the imaging sensor, there is no need for AF Microadjustment."

I kinda want to try a 70D out for the day.

That's really the point of DPAF - by using all pixels of ~80% of the image sensor for AF, in effect you have an AF sensor with an incredibly flexible array of dynamically assignable phase detect sensor lines.  They can be shorter or longer to maximize accuracy at any aperture, in theory (although I suspect lack of processing power precludes this for now) the orientation of the phase difference could vary through the full 180° depending on the feature of interest.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 10:31:38 AM »

This with the 22mm... would be my everyday camera.

I take a 5D3, a 60D and between 4-6 lenses almost everywhere I go, but there's plenty of times I'd like something smaller, lighter, and cheaper.  And if I'm going to an amusement or water park, it's just impractical to lug around that much gear; what to do with it while on rides?  This and a small waterproof bag I can stick in a cargo pocket, and I'm set.

hoodlum

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Birds
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:32:22 AM »
Just remember that the Dual PDAF is not accurate and is only used for rough estimation of focus.  CDAF is still used to determine final focus.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 10:32:22 AM »

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 10:58:45 AM »
I love this camera. ill buy one just to hold onto it in case my m1 breaks.

the metal casing saved it from a few drops very recently- and that touch screen is unrivaled. carry it with the 10-22, and the 50 1.4, and its just a beautiful thing.

shame on the haters, you guys dont now what your missing. its a great TOOL.
Be the best you, screw everything else.

drjlo

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2014, 11:07:23 AM »
With cameras like Sony A6000 and Fuji X-T1 looming, this M2 news is just too little, too late. 
EOS "M3" with an improved sensor and A6000-like AF prowess coming to North America, now that would be an interesting news.

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2014, 11:56:40 AM »
I wonder if some of you guys know what this sensor can do.

Ive shot people, and landscapes with it. The only limitation is the lens. I wish the 22/2 was sharper, but it still does a god job.

High iso night photography looks almost as good as the 6D. that was pretty surprising to see. and it damn sure focuses better than the 6d as well.
Be the best you, screw everything else.

BL

• Canon 6D
  • Great gear is good. Good technique is better.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2014, 12:46:55 PM »
I agree with the sentiments above.  This little gem is my workhorse for anything that does not move.

That said, I don't think there are enough improvements with the M2 to avoid another firesale debacle if it comes priced ridiculously at $700+ again.

But knowing Canon, I can probably look forward to picking up a heavily discounted M2 for $299 a year after it releases  :-\
M, 5Dc, 1Dx, some lenses, a few lights

daemorhedron

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2014, 03:58:24 PM »
I recently bought a M2 after using an M for so long. I am honestly surprised how underrated if not hated these bodies are. They really are gems, but I admit extreme disappointment at the following things:

1. The M2 only has wireless tethering, not wired. It's ok, but not great. Rates about same as Sony A7 and gets a 'cute but not entirely useful' rating from me. How and why wired tethering does not work is a complete mystery to me.

2. Spot metering. JEEZ Canon, this has been a sore subject for so long, let's get that going already!

3. Port door changed and can seriously only be described as 'fugly if not fawkward'.

4. EXTREME disappointment at Canon's lack of commitment to this line, but rumor has it that will change. Curious to see more 'pro' lenses if not bodies. Speed booster would be heavenly too.

5. No Magic Lantern as far as I know. Very sad panda, but hopefully will change.

Will be posting a youtube review online soon, including showing differences between M, M2 and Sony A7. =)

daemorhedron

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 04:01:14 PM »
Oh and...

6. Complete lack of focus peaking, which is not only doable with ML, it's something your competition is doing and doing well. This is high up on the wishlist for me personally, but I imagine that ML will come through sooner than Canon will.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2014, 04:01:14 PM »

lensgrabber

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2014, 04:19:29 PM »

Will be posting a youtube review online soon, including showing differences between M, M2 and Sony A7. =)

Very interested to see the focus speeds between the M and M2.  I love everything about the M except for the slow focus.  My 60D gets almost no play time now.

Taemobig

• Rebel T5i
  • www.junmapue.com
    • View Profile
    • Jun Mapue Photography
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »
Only reason I bought the first M was the price drop. If the M2 goes down to $299, then I'll definitely get it.
5D Mk. III |5D Mk. II | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 MkII 2.8L IS | 17-40 4.0L | 85 1.8 | 50 1.4|  40 2.8 pancake | 600EX-RT x2

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2014, 07:34:35 PM »