July 23, 2014, 10:25:56 AM

Author Topic: UPDATE: EOS M2 Not Coming to North America  (Read 5848 times)

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
Re: EOS M2 Coming to North America & Europe?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »
Hd the M, the adapter was alright, never tried an M lens. Realized that I love having a viewfinder and the touchscreen bugged me, I'm a weird mix of modern yet curmudgeoning. Basically I like dials and joysticks.
5d3+ Bower 14, Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2014, 09:07:15 PM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zee-bytes
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2014, 10:45:54 PM »

Will be posting a youtube review online soon, including showing differences between M, M2 and Sony A7. =)

Very interested to see the focus speeds between the M and M2.  I love everything about the M except for the slow focus.  My 60D gets almost no play time now.

I had a play about with the M and M2 side by side at a camera store. The M2 AF speed is much faster than the M, it locks instantly. The M has about a half second delay where you hear the AF motor buzz and hunt but on the M2 the beep is heard right after you press the button. Much more snappier and decisive. I also had a play about with an a7r and of course the AF on that was super fast but for most general subject matter the M2 would suffice.

I'm seriously thinking of upgrading to the M2. Maybe once the price comes down a bit more.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 10:51:15 PM by Zv »
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14mm f/2.8 | Sigma 50 f/1.4

EOS M | 22 f/2 | 11-22 IS

Bob Howland

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2014, 08:41:32 AM »
Apparently not - An update from Imaging Resource:

"[Editor's note: We received an update after we went to press that Canon USA does not have plans to sell the EOS M2 at this time. We'll let you guys know if this changes!]"

Wild guess: Canon still has M's in stock and they don't want to completely kill the market for them.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:44:38 AM by Bob Howland »

ajfotofilmagem

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: UPDATE: EOS M2 Not Coming to North America
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2014, 09:13:37 AM »
That miscalculation, huh? Canon USA imported as gigantic amount of EOS-M, even selling for $300 could not get rid of inventory. Now will not bring M2, while not emptying the shelves of M original. If the M3 comes with the 70D sensor, can be well accepted in the U.S. market, but it should cost around $ 900. :-\ In this case I prefer SL1. 8)

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2014, 10:04:46 AM »
Lost in translation.

What the guy meant was...

I HAVE an M2, and I'll bring it with me on my trip to North America.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 10:28:07 AM by distant.star »
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Rick

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Dual Platform
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2014, 10:17:16 AM »
Waiting until a model sells out that historically hasn't sold well to bring in something that might actually sell briskly? Almost makes Canon-sense except that Canon didn't actually say this.
5D2, 5D3, D3x, D800E, TSE17, 100L, 14-24G, 24-70G, 24-70 II, 70-200/4 IS, CZ 18 ZF, CZ 2.8/25 ZF, CZ 2/28 ZF, CZ 2/35 ZF, CZ 2/50 ZF

Greenmeenie

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 12:47:20 PM »
Canon is really shooting themselves. They are totally dropping the ball in the mirrorless department. Especially now that the Sony A7 has burst onto the scene. Its obvious to see that mirrorless FF is the future...yet Canon seems so stubborn that it won't even support its aspc mirrorless here in the states. I think they are making a mistake. As a longtime canon user & supporter, I am going to be buying the Sony A7. I'm excited by it, like I haven't been excited by a canon in awhile. To be fair, I think Nikon is dropping the mirrorless ball too. Perhaps they both think their user base is so big & loyal that they do t have to make a move in the mirrorless world. But I think they are doing this at their own peril. They've already lost the point & shoot sector to smartphones. Perhaps that was inevitable. But this is NOT. Canon can easily enter this realm & dominate...but they are choosing not to. I find this not only strange, but stupid.

The Sony A7 is not a gimmick, its a game changer. I'll be able to use all my canon glass, along with Nikon glass and Leica, voightlander, and zeiss manual focus rangefinder lenses. I'm in heaven. I was saving for a 5d3, but the sony a7 has changed my mind. And trust me, I was a loyal canon head.

Canon better wake up and stop sitting on its hands. And this goes for Nikon too. Sony has thrown the gauntlet down and really challenged the big two.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2014, 12:47:20 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2014, 01:02:09 PM »
Too bad the gauntlet has poor battery life, an AF system not suitable for tracking moving subjects, and comes from a company notorious for not delivering long-term support for its own product lines.   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Greenmeenie

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »
Too bad the gauntlet has poor battery life, an AF system not suitable for tracking moving subjects, and comes from a company notorious for not delivering long-term support for its own product lines.   ::)

Fair enough. I'm no Sony fanboy. But the A7 is the first of its kind. Is it perfect? Um...no. Could battery life be better? Of course. But carrying a spare or two isn't the end of the world. And as far as the AF system not being up to snuff, for me, that doesn't apply since I prefer manual focus. It does have a cool focus peaking feature.

Believe me, I was totally going to buy a canon FF DSLR for my travel/street photography. I was never tempted by another camera company...but that all changed when the sony a7 came out. I'm just saying that's me. I want the FF yumminess...but I also want the stealthy smallness because I travel all over the world. Canon wasn't addressing that. Sony is. I've been waiting for a Canon answer to the A7 FF mirrorless...but none was forthcoming. So...it was an easy decision for me.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2014, 01:25:45 PM »
The body is smaller, but the lenses still need to cover a FF image circle.  If you're traveling with 1-2 relatively small lenses, I can definitely see the benefit.  Personally, I usually travel with ~4 lenses covering 16-300mm, f/2.8 on the wider end, including a TS lens, tripod, etc.  A smaller/lighter body would probably save <5% weight and not change the bag I'd choose, so there's not a lot of benefit from that, for me. 

I do like the idea of a higher MP body that works with my existing lenses.  But frankly, I don't really need the MP in a travel body.  A higher MP body with all the AF, fps, and ergonomic advantages of the 1D X would be great for birds/wildlife, though.

I do hope Canon continues to develop the mirrorless segment. DPAF is well-suited for that, and I expect that technology will make it to the M line, then to FF dSLRs, and eventually (hopefully) to a FF mirrorless. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

michi

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2014, 03:54:38 PM »
I gave the M a shot.  It's a great little camera.  I got frustrated when they announced that the wide angle zoom wasn't coming to the US, nor any other stuff.  I used EF-M lenses with the adapter.  In the end I bought the SL1 when Amazon had it on sale for $350.  Absolutely love that thing.  Small, no adapter or new lenses needed, image quality and AF are better than the M.  Yeah, it's not as small, but it does the job. Heck, you even have back button focusing.

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2014, 04:09:46 PM »
I love this camera. ill buy one just to hold onto it in case my m1 breaks.

the metal casing saved it from a few drops very recently- and that touch screen is unrivaled. carry it with the 10-22, and the 50 1.4, and its just a beautiful thing.

shame on the haters, you guys dont now what your missing. its a great TOOL.

Assuming you're referring to the original M rather than the M2 (that's what your opening sentence implies, at any rate) some of us who don't like it ("hate" is too strong) know exactly what we're missing because we owned one and, even though it can make very good images, think it's a trial to use ergonomically, whether compared to a dslr or other, better designed, mirrorless bodies.     

AvTvM

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 04:49:01 PM »

and yet ... as imperfect as the Sony A7/R may be .. Canon has not even been able to create any mirrorless cameras that could even remotely compete with them. Witness .. the EOS-M.

And just like Sony, Canon first created APS-C lenses with their own mount (EF-S) and then yet another mount and lens line-up for EF-M to match and take advantage of the shorter flange-distance of mirrorless cameras. That leaves Canon with currently 3 differnt lens- and mount types of which 2 look pretty much doomed ... and may be disabandoned soon enough: EF-M [unless Canon manages to revive that dead-end] and EF-S [dead end as soon as APS-C DSLRs will be gone for good] ...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 04:49:01 PM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 05:48:04 PM »
I gave the M a shot.......in the end I bought the SL1 when Amazon had it on sale for $350.  Absolutely love that thing. 
After a long string of disappointing compacts I bought the SL1 when it first shipped. What a little gem of a camera, tiny size (especially with the 40mm pancake attached), light weight and with all the benefits of being a DSLR. The package would be complete with a 22mm pancake. This is now my travel camera, usually with the brilliant EF-S 15-85is.

-pw

hiplnsdrftr

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 06:11:07 PM »
The M, a timid release of a half hearted product... Canon could easily make something that would blow our minds and set the camera world on fire, they chose not to. Instead they let Ricoh, Fuji and Sony have some moments of glory. Their fear of harming Rebel sales allows these other brands some sort of safety net. For now I guess.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 06:11:07 PM »