December 20, 2014, 03:15:45 PM

Author Topic: UPDATE: EOS M2 Not Coming to North America  (Read 7576 times)

slclick

• 5D Mark III
  • 2 Strikes!
    • View Profile
Re: UPDATE: EOS M2 Not Coming to North America
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 06:20:37 PM »
I gave the M a shot.......in the end I bought the SL1 when Amazon had it on sale for $350.  Absolutely love that thing. 
After a long string of disappointing compacts I bought the SL1 when it first shipped. What a little gem of a camera, tiny size (especially with the 40mm pancake attached), light weight and with all the benefits of being a DSLR. The package would be complete with a 22mm pancake. This is now my travel camera, usually with the brilliant EF-S 15-85is.

-pw

My friend has one with a Voigtlander 20 and it is remarkable. Sweet street shooter, if you're good with MF
Canon Cameras and Lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2014, 06:20:37 PM »

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: EOS M2 Coming to North America & Europe?
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2014, 07:23:40 PM »
2. Spot metering. JEEZ Canon, this has been a sore subject for so long, let's get that going already!

It's a LiveView camera. Why do you need anything other then full manual and your eyes?

Seriously. I don't bother with any AE mode or metering pattern on my M. I just spin the dial until the scene is correct on the LCD. It's a wonderful way to work, especially in tricky lighting scenarios. You could claim AE is faster, but I would guess it's not once you count AE failures.

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2014, 07:25:49 PM »
Too bad the gauntlet has poor battery life, an AF system not suitable for tracking moving subjects, and comes from a company notorious for not delivering long-term support for its own product lines.   ::)

Ummm...were you referring to the A7 or the M?  ;D

dtaylor

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2014, 07:36:11 PM »
The M, a timid release of a half hearted product... Canon could easily make something that would blow our minds and set the camera world on fire, they chose not to. Instead they let Ricoh, Fuji and Sony have some moments of glory. Their fear of harming Rebel sales allows these other brands some sort of safety net. For now I guess.

The bummer is that the M didn't miss the mark by much. It's a great camera and gets as much use as any of my DSLRs. I love it for street and travel. Both the 22mm and 18-55 IS are great lenses, especially considering their prices.

Canon stumbled on the original AF algorithms, was timid in the release, was priced too high, and then failed to follow up. If they had fixed the AF sooner, shown some commitment with new lenses, and priced it appropriately for the U.S. market things would have been different.

Now? Who knows. I can't imagine Canon would drop the mount, at least not as long as mirrorless is hot in Asia. But I have no idea if they will ever fully commit to mirrorless and reintroduce it to the U.S. I'm glad I have my M an I'm glad I live in a world where it's easy to order bodies and lenses from overseas.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2014, 07:57:34 PM »
The M, a timid release of a half hearted product... Canon could easily make something that would blow our minds and set the camera world on fire, they chose not to. Instead they let Ricoh, Fuji and Sony have some moments of glory. Their fear of harming Rebel sales allows these other brands some sort of safety net. For now I guess.

The bummer is that the M didn't miss the mark by much. It's a great camera and gets as much use as any of my DSLRs. I love it for street and travel. Both the 22mm and 18-55 IS are great lenses, especially considering their prices.

Canon stumbled on the original AF algorithms, was timid in the release, was priced too high, and then failed to follow up. If they had fixed the AF sooner, shown some commitment with new lenses, and priced it appropriately for the U.S. market things would have been different.

Now? Who knows. I can't imagine Canon would drop the mount, at least not as long as mirrorless is hot in Asia. But I have no idea if they will ever fully commit to mirrorless and reintroduce it to the U.S. I'm glad I have my M an I'm glad I live in a world where it's easy to order bodies and lenses from overseas.

I think that in the long term, the DSLR will go the way of the film camera. Mirrorless is the future. It is still behind in a few areas, but ahead in others.... eventually mirrorless will win and all those mechanical parts will disappear.

The big question (at least to me) is form factor. Go to big and things get unwieldy very fast... go to small and they start to get hard to hold and quality suffers. The 35mm camera form factor seems to be the sweet spot so my bet is that when things like the 5D??? goes mirrorless it will keep to the same general size.

That said, there is a market for smaller quality cameras. Go to something like an EOS-M and get a few of the compact lenses and you have a decent little system. Give it an adaptor and native support for the big lenses and your system becomes a lot more versatile with no additional work/risk required.

It is good to have a little brother who will not be left as an orphan...
The best camera is the one in your hands

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2014, 09:42:17 PM »
I don't think it's fair to compare an EOS M to the Sony A7 /A7r. The Sony looks and handles like a DSLR. In the hand it feels solid and well constructed. An expensive piece of engineering.

The M looks and handles like a compact camera. That's what Canon set out to do. It looks simple and small. The opposite of the A7.

Then there's the price difference. Two completely different markets.

6D | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

Greenmeenie

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 10:05:09 AM »
I don't think it's fair to compare an EOS M to the Sony A7 /A7r. The Sony looks and handles like a DSLR. In the hand it feels solid and well constructed. An expensive piece of engineering.

The M looks and handles like a compact camera. That's what Canon set out to do. It looks simple and small. The opposite of the A7.

Then there's the price difference. Two completely different markets.

True. I guess I was just making the point about how Canon doesn't seem to be supporting the mirrorless movement. First with this announcement that the EosM 2 won't be coming to the US, and with my point how they don't seem to care about Sony's aggressive move in the FF mirrorless realm with the A7.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2014, 10:05:09 AM »

Greenmeenie

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2014, 10:15:32 AM »

If canon were smart, they'd make the Rebel line mirrorless. Test the waters by putting it into an already established and popular line. First off, the rebel is already small. Provide adapters for lenses. Bam. Of course this won't happen, but I think eventually Canon will have to answer Sony. Sony won't stop. They are onto something with the A7. The next version of the A7 will be even better. Pretty soon Canon will have a lot of catching up to do if they take their time. True, Sony has its own work to do to get more native lenses for their new system...but with adapters, photographers can use lenses from Canon, Nikon, Leica, voitlander etc...so they actually have more lenses than the big two available.

It also makes sense for Canon to move to mirrorless. Less moving parts. Cheaper faster production.

photonius

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2014, 10:22:25 AM »

If canon were smart, they'd make the Rebel line mirrorless.

It won't happen until the AF is there. Even with the 70D sensor it's not there yet.

Sanaraken

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2014, 11:01:58 AM »

If canon were smart, they'd make the Rebel line mirrorless. Test the waters by putting it into an already established and popular line. First off, the rebel is already small. Provide adapters for lenses. Bam. Of course this won't happen, but I think eventually Canon will have to answer Sony. Sony won't stop. They are onto something with the A7. The next version of the A7 will be even better. Pretty soon Canon will have a lot of catching up to do if they take their time. True, Sony has its own work to do to get more native lenses for their new system...but with adapters, photographers can use lenses from Canon, Nikon, Leica, voitlander etc...so they actually have more lenses than the big two available.

It also makes sense for Canon to move to mirrorless. Less moving parts. Cheaper faster production.

So your saying Canon is dumb? For being number 1 and best selling camera brand on earth. So you are smarter than their engineering and marketing departments. You remind me of when the D800 came out. It was suppose to be a game changer. Sony is noturious of abandoning their product line and probably a company that will go bankcrupt soon. I remember when they came out with the translucent mirror suppose to be a game changer. That can acheive the best FPS on any DSLR. Where are those now. I havent seen any been use on sports photography.
5DIII | EOSM| 24-70L f2.8 II | 70-200L f2.8 IS II | 40 f2.8 | 100L f2.8 | 600EX-RT

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2014, 11:04:29 AM »

Make the Rebels mirrorless and keep the existing flange distances so you don't need an adaptor to use the existing lenses......
The best camera is the one in your hands

AvTvM

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2014, 12:23:43 PM »
Make the Rebels mirrorless and keep the existing flange distances so you don't need an adaptor to use the existing lenses......

no no no. Make em small and thin. And include the adapter with every camera body at no separate charge.
That way, we can have it both:
  • small size with native lenses, for when we want to "go small" and
  • "regular size" with "regular lenses" when small size is not needed

vscd

• EOS M2
  • 5DC
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 12:41:01 PM »
- small size with native lenses, for when we want to "go small" and
-"regular size" with "regular lenses" when small size is not needed

And then you have a small, unusable, brick with a long lense on it. Feels like a Rebel with 400L 2.8... what do you all want with a small and light camera? Of course I understand that size matters on daily street photography, but I *dont want* to have anything smaller than a 5D while working with serious aims. A Cam is a tool, not a toy or gimmick.

I even don't like an EVF, no just because of the flatten 2D Image, but for the lack of shoots with one Akku. Maybe Canon will invent a hybrid solution (electronic informations on demand inside an optical VF), then I'm back on the horse. But please go away with those touchscreens or liveview-shooters.

The mirrorless is a hype, which everyone seems to push at the moment. Just stop a second and make up your *own* thoughts. There never went any mirror broken, the shutter is the mechanical part which dies and all those new cameras still  have it. The mirrors are getting more quiet than ever and a real AF-Array is *AGES* better than the lousy onchip-resolutions. Using the sensor all the time will make the chip getting warmer and more prone to noise.

5DC, 24-85, 85 1.2L II, 80-200 2.8L, 100 2.8L IS, 14 2.8, 35 1.4, 75-300 IS, 40STM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2014, 12:41:01 PM »

LDS

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2014, 01:00:32 PM »
So your saying Canon is dumb? For being number 1 and best selling camera brand on earth. So you are smarter than their engineering and marketing departments.
Truth is that big, successful companies make big mistakes too. Look at Microsoft with Windows Vista and 8. Or with its Surface 1.0 tablets. Users told them they were bad products even before they were released, Microsoft didn't accept critics, delivered products that didn't sell and had to return on its steps and correct mistakes that were clearly visible to everybody, but to those in charge of the products. And there are many examples from many other companies.
The fact that Canon will not sell the M2 in Western markets shows it understood it's the wrong product for such markets - and some humble user can spot them and find better ideas. But it looks that someone at Canon is unwillingly to say "I was wrong - we need a different kind of product". Don't believe Canon engineering and marketing is populated by superhumans who never make mistakes. And I prefer a company that learns from mistakes, that one that stubbornly denies them.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:18:33 PM by LDS »

vscd

• EOS M2
  • 5DC
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »
At the moment there seems to be no big market for mirrorless cams like in asia. Don't forget you're all some kind of interested people, which read news or are envolved in the materia. Normal people go into the shop and buy what they know... or what they think it's ok. Nikon or Canon. And you can't get anything more valueable than a Nikon D3100 for example. For this price no mirrorless can even try to beat the small DSLR.

I suggest to read the Interview with the Olympus Product Strategy Manager:

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3168945932/cp-2014-olympus-interview-our-reason-to-exist-is-to-push-the-envelope

I spoke to Fujifilm recently, and I was told by a senior marketing executive that if Canon and Nikon made serious mirrorless cameras, this would help the format to gain traction. Do you agree?

Well that’s his view! We’ll keep on communicating the benefits of mirrorless but Canon and Nikon dominate the interchangeable lens camera market and if they did come out with serious, reliable mirrorless cameras, I agree that yes - it might stimulate the market and boost sales of our cameras. Maybe it’s intentional that they haven’t launched enthusiast-focused mirrorless cameras, because they’re dominant. They’ve been maturing their systems for years. Maybe it’s strategic that they’re staying away.

The only plus for mirrorless cams is the size, but with the existing Nikon- or Canonbayonett the advantage is gone. And new systems? Why? But I agree, if the ships turns and the mirrorless systems are getting better and better, the big two could fall down very deep.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:08:42 PM by vscd »
5DC, 24-85, 85 1.2L II, 80-200 2.8L, 100 2.8L IS, 14 2.8, 35 1.4, 75-300 IS, 40STM

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »