October 24, 2014, 05:03:15 AM

Author Topic: Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 II, front focus AFMA correction vs sending for calibration?  (Read 396 times)

timotheus

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Hi all,

First post here, although I've been reading along for a while. I'd like your opinion on my new Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II EX DC HSM (without OS) for my 70D. Bought one of the last newly available ones here in the Netherlands.

Well aware of reported front-focus issues, I decided to take my chances because of a good price, great specs/weight and 3-year warranty. Sure enough, the lens consistently front focused, especially at 150mm  F2.8. Luckily, setting AF micro-adjustment at the maximum +20 at the wide end seems just enough, as real-life results have improved greatly (no time nor talent for elaborate lab setups, although I could provide some obvious examples).

Would you accept this workaround, with the possibility that a future/different APS-C body can't compensate enough? Or would you advise (going through the hassle of) sending it to Sigma for calibration? Anyone have experience with calibration by Sigma?

Thanks!
Canon 70D, Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II EX DC HSM, Canon 50mm F1.8 II

canon rumors FORUM