October 09, 2015, 11:53:06 PM

Author Topic: Sigma 50-150mm f2.8 II, front focus AFMA correction vs sending for calibration?  (Read 652 times)

• Canonflex
Hi all,

First post here, although I've been reading along for a while. I'd like your opinion on my new Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II EX DC HSM (without OS) for my 70D. Bought one of the last newly available ones here in the Netherlands.

Well aware of reported front-focus issues, I decided to take my chances because of a good price, great specs/weight and 3-year warranty. Sure enough, the lens consistently front focused, especially at 150mm  F2.8. Luckily, setting AF micro-adjustment at the maximum +20 at the wide end seems just enough, as real-life results have improved greatly (no time nor talent for elaborate lab setups, although I could provide some obvious examples).

Would you accept this workaround, with the possibility that a future/different APS-C body can't compensate enough? Or would you advise (going through the hassle of) sending it to Sigma for calibration? Anyone have experience with calibration by Sigma?

Canon 70D, Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 II EX DC HSM, Canon 50mm F1.8 II

canon rumors FORUM