October 01, 2014, 11:18:01 AM

Author Topic: Patent: Canon EF 600 f/4L IS III & EF 600 f/4 DO IS  (Read 1725 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Patent: Canon EF 600 f/4L IS III & EF 600 f/4 DO IS
« on: March 03, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »

A new patent showing the 600mm f/4 optical formula. Is Canon already working on the replacements to the current super telephoto lenses? It’s quite possible! Although I suspect we’re talking 7-10 years from now. These sort of patents could also be for technology that will appear in  other lenses. Such as the upcoming replacement of the EF 800mm f/5.6L IS.

I do expect we’ll be seeing more DO lenses in the future. There seems to be an awful lot of patents for DO optical formulas. I suspect the cost of production is the hinderance to bringing these lenses to market at the present time. We already have $11,000 200-400 f/4 lenses and $18,000 800mm lenses. I suspect we’re at the ceiling of what people will pay for a lens…. or not. :)

Patent Publication No. 2014-26210

• Publication date 2014.2.6

• Filing date 2012.7.30

Example 1

• Focal length f = 588mm

• Fno. 4.12

• Angle of view 2ω = 4.22 °

• BF 56.0mm

• Total lens length 374.7mm

• Inner focus

Example 5

• Focal length f = 588mm

• Fno. 4.12

• Angle of view 2ω = 4.22 °

• BF 55.0mm

• Total lens length 343.5mm

• Inner focus

• Diffraction optical element

• Effect of the glass material

• Fluorite (Fluorite)

• In the long lens fluorite + total length, correction of chromatic aberration is easy

• In short lens fluorite + total length, correction of chromatic aberration is difficult

• Diffractive optical element (DOE)

• Diffractive optical element can be corrected if the chromatic aberration

• Flare caused by light diffraction

Source: [EG]

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Patent: Canon EF 600 f/4L IS III & EF 600 f/4 DO IS
« on: March 03, 2014, 12:20:00 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Patent: Canon EF 600 f/4L IS III & EF 600 f/4 DO IS
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2014, 12:26:46 PM »
A new patent showing the 600mm f/4 optical formula. Is Canon already working on the replacements to the current super telephoto lenses? It’s quite possible!

Possible, yes.  But I also recall that they developed the prototypes for the 400/4 DO IS and a 400/4 L (non-DO) simultaneously, so having a 'regular' 600/4 in the patent application along side a 600/4 DO might just be part of the development process.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Maximilian

• Canon 70D
  • The dark side - I've been there
    • View Profile
What is left here of DO?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2014, 02:23:16 PM »
Example 1
Example 5
  • Inner focus
I'm a little bit surprised that the DO is giving a size advantage of just a little bit more than 3 cm.
I suppose that this is due to how strong the diffraction effect of the DO is and that this patent is giving more to IQ than size advantage.
But what is left of the advantage of the DO then? Less CA?

Comparing actual "standard" to "DO" lenses with that little size advantage I would go the standard - if I had the money and the need of such a lens.

Or do I miss something? Advice is very welcome. Thanks.

(Disclaimer: I know of course that these patents have to turn into real available products, and that patents are not quite good for IQ discussions. But my question is still there...)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 02:25:14 PM by Maximilian »
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
Re: What is left here of DO?
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2014, 02:47:41 PM »
Example 1
Example 5
  • Inner focus
I'm a little bit surprised that the DO is giving a size advantage of just a little bit more than 3 cm.
I suppose that this is due to how strong the diffraction effect of the DO is and that this patent is giving more to IQ than size advantage.

Comparing actual "standard" to "DO" lenses with that little size advantage I would go the standard - if I had the money and the need of such a lens.

Or do I miss something? Advice is very welcome. Thanks.

(Disclaimer: I know of course that these patents have to turn into real available products, and that patents are not quite good for IQ discussions. But my question is still there...)
Using Google Translate: It looks like the key is that the current 600 f/4 II is 461mm (Canon US) / 448mm (according to EG), so both lenses in the patent would be a lot shorter. Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine...

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2014, 03:34:25 PM »
Or it's simply just a patent designed to keep another manufacturer from using it.  The current mk ii lens is about near perfect.  Unless they are planning to adapt it to a medium format or 100MP plus sensor, I dont see this one coming to market soon.  Pardon the quote but DO is "dead to me".  I've tried some DO lenses and the bokeh is quite awful.  I suppose it has it's purpose but not for anything that I could shoot with them.

Hesbehindyou

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
The best white super-telephoto...
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2014, 06:51:07 PM »
The best white super-telephoto is the one you have with you.

Some will always pay a premium for smaller.  Re the size of the patented lenses, perhaps they've designed the DO lens, then designed a 'regular' lens optimised for compactness (as opposed to IQ), to illustrate what DO can bring to the table.

Etienne

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 06:54:24 PM »
I wish they'd just update the 400 5.6 ... put in IS, make it sharper, and don't massacre my piggy bank. It would be light enough to carry regularly, and probably do just fine with the 1.4x at f/8.

That would be my "poor-man's" super-tele.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2014, 06:54:24 PM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2014, 06:55:54 PM »
Current 600 is a great lens.  Only suggestion besides major weight loss, would be a built-in 1.4.  That would be handy!

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 12:21:25 AM »
Current 600 is a great lens.  Only suggestion besides major weight loss, would be a built-in 1.4.  That would be handy!

That's it, in spades, would be a great addition, they could have 2 models, one with one without.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Maximilian

• Canon 70D
  • The dark side - I've been there
    • View Profile
Re: What is left here of DO?
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2014, 09:38:00 AM »
It looks like the key is that the current 600 f/4 II is 461mm (Canon US) / 448mm (according to EG), so both lenses in the patent would be a lot shorter. Beyond that, your guess is as good as mine...
Thanks  mackguyver, for pointing that out.
I was aware of that, but didn't think it necessary to put in here to get even more confusion.
Of course comparing the actual lens with the example 1 patent it's great to see, that these "normal" lenses can be made even shorter than today. And some 8 cm are quite a lot.

But I think it is only "fair" to compare new design with new DO design.
Let's wait and see, what becomes reality...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:17:43 PM by Maximilian »
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2014, 09:45:28 AM »
Or it's simply just a patent designed to keep another manufacturer from using it.  The current mk ii lens is about near perfect.  Unless they are planning to adapt it to a medium format or 100MP plus sensor, I dont see this one coming to market soon.  Pardon the quote but DO is "dead to me".  I've tried some DO lenses and the bokeh is quite awful.  I suppose it has it's purpose but not for anything that I could shoot with them.
I beg to differ. DO technology is absolutely necessary for the creation of ... DODO lenses  ;D ;D ;D ;D

P.S I will leave some time to see if you know what I mean and then I will gladly explain it  :)

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2014, 05:53:50 PM »
I beg to differ. DO technology is absolutely necessary for the creation of ... DODO lenses  ;D ;D ;D ;D

P.S I will leave some time to see if you know what I mean and then I will gladly explain it  :)
OK, no response so far. So I owe you the explanation DODO = Difractive Opticts for Digital Ornithologists  ;D (= BIF photographers  ;D )

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
OK, no response so far. So I owe you the explanation DODO = Difractive Opticts for Digital Ornithologists  ;D (= BIF photographers  ;D )

Oh...  I just thought it was a reference to something extinct.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »