July 31, 2014, 04:51:09 PM

Author Topic: Lightboxes, umbrellas, stands, etc.........  (Read 4362 times)

nonac

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Marty Beck Photography
Re: Lightboxes, umbrellas, stands, etc.........
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 11:32:58 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback.  I've been watching quite a bit of video and reading about different set-ups. Not going to pull the trigger on soft boxes, stands, etc. until I attend a couple live seminars/model shoots over the next couple of months. That will give me some hands on time with some different products that will really help in making decisions.
5d Mark III, 24mm f/1.4L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100 f/2.8L IS macro, 135 f/2L, 3x 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT, EF 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2014, 11:32:58 PM »

winglet

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 07:28:46 AM »
Lots of good advice already, so I'll just toss in my own 2 bits:

-Agree on the Ezybox for a single light. But if you want to use more than one light at once, and since you say you have three, I use the Lightware Foursquare when ganging lights, or the Apollo big box mentioned for a relatively cheap, really big soft source. You can also use the Foursquare with a single strobe just fine so could save you the cost of the Lastolite. Really good quality US-made stuff, the Lightware, like RRS for modifiers.

http://lightwaredirect.com/foursquare/
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/62236-REG/Westcott_2348_Apollo_JS_Softbox_with.html

-Also 2nd the Photek Softlighter as a sort of hybrid between an umbrella and an octabox. Good bang for the buck.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/75852-REG/Photek_SL_6000_Umbrella_Softlighter_II.html

-Manfrotto is quality, I've got a ton of their hardware, but the Chinese knockoffs are pretty great now I have to admit, and much cheaper. So get whatever you feel you can afford, but my one advice would be to spring for the air cushioning where available. It really will save your gear one day.

I like how you are approaching it though, learning first, THEN buying! Enjoy the class, they're a lot of fun.
Canon 1DX, 5DII | 50 f/1.2 | 85 f/1.2II | 100 f/2.8 Macro | 135 f/2 | 16-35 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8II | 70-200 f/2.8II | 200-400 f/4 1.4X | 8-15 f/4 Fisheye | 24 f/3.5TS | 4X 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT | Fuji X100s

JonAustin

• EOS M2
  • Telecom/IT consultant / periodic pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 11:18:12 AM »
You're definitely going about this the right way. You have an excellent set of gear in the 3 600's + 1 ST-E3 (I personally went with 4 600's). Now, all you have to do is add stands and modifiers AS YOU NEED THEM, to place the 600's and tailor their output to achieve the lighting effects you desire.

I think creative vision is the most important piece of "equipment" for effective lighting. I've seen too many photogs invest in a bunch of gear, without knowing what they want to achieve with it, or even how to use it, really. Far better to have a look in mind, and then acquire gear as needed to realize your vision.

(And +1 on the recommendations for air-cushioned stands!)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:39:35 AM by JonAustin »
Photographic equipment

Wick

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 11:23:22 AM »
Let me recommend an umbrella adapter. The Lumapro LP633 may be unique in that the sleeve for the umbrella is angled upward slightly so that a flash - especially one with a trigger attached - doesn't shoot into the top of the umbrella, but closer to the center. Don't know why most other umbrella adapters don't do this. Helps prevent spill from direct flash.

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 11:35:52 AM »
Let me recommend an umbrella adapter. The Lumapro LP633 may be unique in that the sleeve for the umbrella is angled upward slightly so that a flash - especially one with a trigger attached - doesn't shoot into the top of the umbrella, but closer to the center. Don't know why most other umbrella adapters don't do this. Helps prevent spill from direct flash.

No that isn't unique. Most umbrella holders have an angle to them, certainly the industry standard for years, the Manfrotto 026, does.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 01:59:38 PM »
Regarding light-stands, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned a good old C-Stand...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/227746-REG/Matthews_756040_Hollywood_Century_C_Stand.html

For outside work, I've pretty much given-up on using my light-weight (~5-lb) stands unless I'll be working far from the truck. Even when sandbagged, I've found that light-weight stands (like the Manfrottos) just don't give me the peace-of-mind that my 15-lb "Matthews" does, especially when using a big modifier containing multiple speedlites...

Wick

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 03:24:49 PM »

No that isn't unique. Most umbrella holders have an angle to them, certainly the industry standard for years, the Manfrotto 026, does.

I checked it out, and you're right. Though I had to read a user review to confirm the angled umbrella sleeve. Manfrotto don't mention it in their various descriptions. I own a variety of umbrella adapters, and only the Lumapro had the angled sleeve. Good to know there are others.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 03:24:49 PM »