December 22, 2014, 06:33:50 PM

Author Topic: Interview With Canon Executives  (Read 5240 times)

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
Re: Interview With Canon Executives
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 11:25:38 AM »
When you look at the future for photography, is there anything that worries you?

[MM] Not specifically. Maybe if someone invents a potion for eternal life, that will be the day that people will stop wanting to record events. But as long as our lives are limited, I believe that people will continue to want to capture memories.

Personally, I find this response to be the most interesting. Also the least likely, but you never know! We can still hold out hope. Just like for a new 100-400L, or a 24-105L f/2.8 IS that's outstanding. Maybe even a a 135L f/2 IS! Or maybe Canon contributing to MagicLantern a few bits of register documentation with tacit approval to operate on the 1D series. Or maybe a unicorn will come striding down the rainbow that lands at my feet with a leprechaun sitting on top a pile of gold so I can buy Canon and make that a reality.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2014, 11:25:38 AM »

docsmith

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2014, 11:52:51 AM »
Great interview(s).

Another interesting quote "with 20-30 MP stills cameras being the norm...."  ...the 5DIII is only 22 MP, the 70D is 20 MP.  Is this a hint that an upcoming release is in the upper range of the "20-30 MP?"  Or is this more of an acknowledgement of what other camera manufacturers have produced?   ;)

Fun to speculate.

JonAustin

• Canon 70D
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2014, 12:03:17 PM »
When you look at the future for photography, is there anything that worries you?

[MM] Not specifically. Maybe if someone invents a potion for eternal life, that will be the day that people will stop wanting to record events. But as long as our lives are limited, I believe that people will continue to want to capture memories.

Actually, if a magical elixir for eternal life were produced, one could argue that the ability to capture memories would become even more valuable ...
Photographic equipment

9VIII

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2014, 01:07:48 PM »
We've found that feedback from users is different depending on the country that they're from. For example, among customers in the USA the need for videos is rising. They're asking for the highest picture quality both in stills and video and they're asking for the two to be merged.

This forum is definitely not a good representation of the average user.

At this point it wouldn't surprise me if the 7D2 is very heavy on video features, and given the "unlimited" comments, I'm also looking forward to the next 1D more than ever.
-100% RAW-

Arkarch

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Karl Buiter Photography
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2014, 03:30:17 PM »

I found the Rebel SL1 Americas size comment interesting.

I'll relate it to cars - I really enjoy my VW (German) Touareg because I can get my 6' frame into it easily; whereas the last time I tried to get into a Nissan (Japanese) Pathfinder, a vehicle I loved twenty years back, I had to literally crawl into it.

They have to realize that big hands can not possibly handle a small camera comfortably.

They should also take note that small point&shoots are nearly impossible for older people, some with arthritis, to work properly.
Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DIII, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2014, 06:01:30 PM »
Interesting interview. It was pretty broadly focused, though. I guess I would have liked to have seen more targeted questions about still photography IQ. Canon has it covered in all but one single area, and it seems to be the single biggest area where Canon DSLR customers are complaining: DR. I'm a little surprised they did not directly ask about still photography sensor DR.

scotsman

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »
If Canon are finding competition from smartphones are forcing them to leave the low-end compact market, why don't they bring out a good-quality compact/smartphone hybrid? I for one would be a willing customer, although I appreciate one sale isn't going to bankroll their pension fund.

Also I find it rather quaint that they still feel the need to have local markets and products, eg Kiss/Rebel/EosXXX. One would have thought that economies of scale would encourage a more homogenised global product range.

The End.
6D, 500D, S110, A1, 50 1.8, 17-40L, 24-105L, 70-300L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2014, 06:51:43 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2014, 01:50:42 AM »
Nice Guy, quite talkative for a Japanese head of Company, but what precisely did he say ???

Beats me, as Jrista pointed out, very broad, nothing at all specific about anything in real terms that one could make an informed guess on new products.

After reading this though, the one horrifying concern I had was Canon might put a SIM Card in the next 1D Body   :'(.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2014, 09:29:59 AM »
After reading this though, the one horrifying concern I had was Canon might put a SIM Card in the next 1D Body   :'(.
They better bring back unlimited data plans if that's the case, because I would use my monthly shared GBs pool 1/10th of the way through a single shoot if I was uploading RAW frames or 1/2 way through with JPEGs.  If the next model is a 30+ MP body, we're all screwed ;)

cm71td

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2014, 10:14:16 AM »
"Will still photography be necessary in the age of 4K video?"

Yes, because an 8MB image from a movie with a shutterspeed of 50 will be blurry... if we could shoot video with 160/250 or even higher shutterspeeds around 1000 or more to freeze action, then it will compete dslrs...

for now we only can take images from a 4k video when the subjects aren't moving, or slowly moving at least.
We can.
Sure you could, but video at those shutter speeds looks awful.  Unless you are planning on only using the video only for frame grabs.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »
They better bring back unlimited data plans if that's the case, because I would use my monthly shared GBs pool 1/10th of the way through a single shoot if I was uploading RAW frames or 1/2 way through with JPEGs.  If the next model is a 30+ MP body, we're all screwed ;)

Bring back?

I have and have had unlimited data with Sprint for years now. Ironically, my typical month is about 20MB.
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

dallasdave22

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2014, 11:21:27 AM »
How about this for a missed question:  It's been two Olympics and still no 100-400 mark 2?

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »
How about this for a missed question:  It's been two Olympics and still no 100-400 mark 2?
LOL ;D.  I'm getting really annoyed with my ancient 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 II, and 300 2.8 II IS.  The "upgrade" money is really burning a hole in my pocket and if they don't upgrade all of these this year, I'm switching to Nikon  ;) ;) ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2014, 11:29:11 AM »

MarkII

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »
At this point it wouldn't surprise me if the 7D2 is very heavy on video features, and given the "unlimited" comments, I'm also looking forward to the next 1D more than ever.

Actually, from the interview I think it is clear what they are going to do.

The 7DII will have the 70D sensor, but will use the video mode to implement sweep-panorama with an HDR option. Hey presto: unlimited resolution and dynamic range - and best of all, no need for a new sensor :-)

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 02:13:55 PM »
LOL ;D.  I'm getting really annoyed with my ancient 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 II, and 300 2.8 II IS.  The "upgrade" money is really burning a hole in my pocket and if they don't upgrade all of these this year, I'm switching to Nikon  ;) ;) ;)

Is anyone who wants a new 100-400mm still waiting, or have they just gone out and bought the Tamron 150-600? Just another area where Canon are under pressure... anyone desperate for a 35mm f/1.4L update, or hace they just bought the Sigma 35mm f/ 1.4 Art?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2014, 02:13:55 PM »