September 17, 2014, 08:08:34 PM

Author Topic: Filters Question  (Read 902 times)

tsepeto

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Filters Question
« on: March 05, 2014, 02:12:48 AM »
Hello
I have a 5D II with EF 24-70 2.8 I.
I want to buy a variable ND filter and a circular polarizing filter. For both filters i think that is better to buy 82mm filters although my lens is 77mm, because in the future maybe I will buy some other lens..Am I right?
Have you any suggestion for these filters? For the ND i saw the Hoya variable ND, what is your opinion is it worth? For the Circular Polarizer I saw the B+W  Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter.. Please tell me your thoughts.
Thank you in advance

canon rumors FORUM

Filters Question
« on: March 05, 2014, 02:12:48 AM »

ninjapeps

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Filters Question
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2014, 07:47:18 AM »
I have no experience with those filters so I can't comment on them, though B+W being good is pretty much a given, I believe. In any case, buying a large filter and then stocking up on step-up rings is far more economical than buying filters for every size you have.
sanity is for people without imagination

cid

• Canon 70D
  • "light is defining shape"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2014, 08:17:57 AM »
Hello
I have a 5D II with EF 24-70 2.8 I.
I want to buy a variable ND filter and a circular polarizing filter. For both filters i think that is better to buy 82mm filters although my lens is 77mm, because in the future maybe I will buy some other lens..Am I right?
Have you any suggestion for these filters? For the ND i saw the Hoya variable ND, what is your opinion is it worth? For the Circular Polarizer I saw the B+W  Kaesemann XS-Pro Circular Polarizer MRC Nano Filter.. Please tell me your thoughts.
Thank you in advance

don't know about the variable ND one...sorry (just heard they are not so uniformly ND due to two polarized glasses used)

but I have THE second one - B+W Keaseman nano and I can bet you would not regret buying it - I'm very happy with it ;)
5D mark III + 24-70L f2.8 II + 70-200L f2.8 II + 100L f2.8
my photos on 500px

AcutancePhotography

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2014, 09:12:13 AM »
 I am very happy with my Marumi Vari-ND and the Pol filters.  Most impressed with the quality.  I think my future filter purchases will all be Marumi.

Check them out.
I shoot with a Camera Obscura with an optical device attached that refracts and transmits light

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 11:20:02 AM »
I have B+W K√§semann CPLs, they are excellent.  VariND filters can be problematic at wide angles, as mentioned above - a variND is basically stacked polarizers, and the same uneven polarization that results in blue skies banding at wide angles leads to a 'Maltese cross' artifact with variND filters.  However, the effect is worse at wider angles and darker settings, so if you won't go wider than 24mm and don't need max darkness, they can be fine.  Personally, I use a standard NDs in 3- and 10-stop density, becuase I use the 82mm filters on my 16-35L II and TS-E 24L II, in addition to the 24-70 II.

Getting the 82mm filters and a step-up ring is a good idea from a budget standpoint, just be aware that using the step-up ring often (but not always) precludes use of the dedicated lens hood. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 01:00:14 PM »
Getting the 82mm filters and a step-up ring is a good idea from a budget standpoint, just be aware that using the step-up ring often (but not always) precludes use of the dedicated lens hood.

+1. So much so that I have purchased CP-Ls for both 77mm and 82mm sizes. Most places where I need to use CP-Ls I also need a hood.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

Snodge

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »
I'm now at the point where I almost wish I'd skipped on the whole circular filters thing, and gone straight to nice big square filters; a few years ago I started getting 77mm stuff and step up rings for some of my lenses, and then when full frame came out, I now have an 82mm lens, so I have recently just taken possession of a 10 stop SRB Gritturn ND filter, as it is cheap but also supposedly quite good.

The other advantage with some of the square filters is that they can sometimes be mounted on very wide lenses now...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2014, 02:16:01 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2014, 02:21:54 PM »
I'm now at the point where I almost wish I'd skipped on the whole circular filters thing, and gone straight to nice big square filters; a few years ago I started getting 77mm stuff and step up rings for some of my lenses, and then when full frame came out, I now have an 82mm lens, so I have recently just taken possession of a 10 stop SRB Gritturn ND filter, as it is cheap but also supposedly quite good.

The other advantage with some of the square filters is that they can sometimes be mounted on very wide lenses now...

I have round screw-in filters and as well as the Lee system.  IMO, the only real utility for the square holder is if you want to use graduated ND filters.  Else, the round filters are much less of a PITA. 

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2014, 11:26:24 PM »

I have round screw-in filters and as well as the Lee system.  IMO, the only real utility for the square holder is if you want to use graduated ND filters.  Else, the round filters are much less of a PITA. 

Also if you are using 10-stop filters. It is far easier to focus and then slide in the big stopper.
EOS 5DIII, EOS 5D | Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, TS-E 17mm f/4L, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM, EF 35mm f/1.4L USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II USM, 1.4x III, 2x III | 600-EX-RT x3 | EOS M + EF-M 22mm f/2

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 11:53:52 PM »
Also if you are using 10-stop filters. It is far easier to focus and then slide in the big stopper.

I find that Live View enables me to focus through the 10 stop filter as long as it's a pretty bright day (exposure of ~30 s).  I do meter without the filter and calculate the exposure time, though.

NancyP

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2014, 11:31:07 AM »
The B&W XS-PRO CPL MRC Nano filters are excellent, and I have 2, a 52mm and 72mm, and am planning to buy an 82. I use Heliopan or B&W step-rings, these are well milled. Are there equivalents out there? Probably. I would be careful about using step-rings on the "Slim-line" polarizers, it can be difficult to get the filter and step ring separated sometimes, because there is nothing to hold onto. The standard size polarizers are easily separated from their step rings.

gshocked

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2014, 07:11:41 AM »
Hi all,

Just want an opinion:

My main lenses right now are all 77mm but I'm going to get an 24-70 f2.8L II in a few months...

Is it better to get a larger filter such as an 82mm over a 77mm and just use a step up filter when using it on smaller lenses?

Thanks

sagittariansrock

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 07:15:53 AM »
Hi all,

Just want an opinion:

My main lenses right now are all 77mm but I'm going to get an 24-70 f2.8L II in a few months...

Is it better to get a larger filter such as an 82mm over a 77mm and just use a step up filter when using it on smaller lenses?

Thanks

I'd get both 77mm and 82mm filters (actually that's what I did).
It is a hassle to use C-Pols with step-up rings since you cannot use the hood.
If you don't use hoods, then yes, getting an 82mm future-proofs it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2014, 07:15:53 AM »

NancyP

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 12:05:57 PM »
The other approach, for square/rectangular filter users, is to get one of the very expensive very large CPLs that attach to an adapter that fits onto the square filter holder. For the Lee system, this requires a $70.00 adapter and a ~$300.00 105mm CPL. I am still debating about whether I want to go this route, which compels one to carry and use the Lee holder whenever one wants to use a CPL, or buy an 82mm CPL and attach the Lee system adapter to the front of the CPL (possible hard vignetting on my 21mm lens). Hoods are still a PITA, I have a standard Lee compendium hood (found used) that attaches to the Lee filter holder. Many people just use appropriately positioned (handheld) black flags.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2014, 12:05:57 PM »