August 01, 2014, 11:01:56 PM

Author Topic: 5d mark ii (should I keep it )  (Read 2182 times)

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
Re: 5d mark ii (should I keep it )
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 01:38:05 PM »
I have sold my 5DMkII and bought a second 5DMkIII. No regrets. Now both of my cameras are the same model so no thoughts in choosing.

In addition when you shoot with both cameras the controls are the same and this is a plus.

I would suggest to upgrade if you can afford it...
I have been thinking about doing that for a while, but there are four reasons I haven't:

#1, I won't get much out of it
(Yes, I realize the prices will only keep falling, but losing $1,000 - 1,500 sucks)

#2, I have the EF-S screen in it and that works great with my fast lenses.  The 5DIII viewfinder is a grainy, blurry, piece of junk in comparison and is all but useless for manual focus.
(I also realize that there are 3rd party solutions to this problem, but I'd rather not fool with them)

#3 I find myself shooting fewer events (and thus less need for two bodies with prime lenses on each one) and focusing more on shooting with a single body, so the 5DII has become more of a true back up body.

#4 I have spent way too much money on camera gear over the last few years and really need to get back to taking car of the house, cars, and other things like that :)
All your reasons are quite personal so quite reasonable too.
The only reservation I would have is about #1 where you said it yourself: "the prices will only keep falling".
By doing this exchange I saved about 40% of the price of 5D3 so I have no complaints myself  :)
Yes, they are very personal and probably don't apply to others, but I thought I'd share them in case any of them do.  Also, my 5DII is pretty beat up, so I think I'd be lucky to get a $1k for it, and after reading about the latest 1DX firmware, I think that's what I'd really like.  Besides the obvious upgrades over the 5DIII, I'm so jealous of the new features, especially exposure compensation in Manual and being able to set a shutter speed over 1/250s for Auto ISO.  Why anyone at Canon thought 1/250s was reasonable, I'll never understand.

Those and spot AE linked to AF point make me lust for a 1DX.  Still love my 5D3 though, and I can't really justify the additional expense right now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2014, 01:38:05 PM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2014, 03:48:07 PM »
I have sold my 5DMkII and bought a second 5DMkIII. No regrets. Now both of my cameras are the same model so no thoughts in choosing.

In addition when you shoot with both cameras the controls are the same and this is a plus.

I have been thinking about doing that for a while, but there are four reasons I haven't:

#1, I won't get much out of it
(Yes, I realize the prices will only keep falling, but losing $1,000 - 1,500 sucks)

#2, I have the EF-S screen in it and that works great with my fast lenses.  The 5DIII viewfinder is a grainy, blurry, piece of junk in comparison and is all but useless for manual focus.
(I also realize that there are 3rd party solutions to this problem, but I'd rather not fool with them)

#3 I find myself shooting fewer events (and thus less need for two bodies with prime lenses on each one) and focusing more on shooting with a single body, so the 5DII has become more of a true back up body.

#4 I have spent way too much money on camera gear over the last few years and really need to get back to taking car of the house, cars, and other things like that :)
All your reasons are quite personal so quite reasonable too.
The only reservation I would have is about #1 where you said it yourself: "the prices will only keep falling".
By doing this exchange I saved about 40% of the price of 5D3 so I have no complaints myself  :)
Yes, they are very personal and probably don't apply to others, but I thought I'd share them in case any of them do.  Also, my 5DII is pretty beat up, so I think I'd be lucky to get a $1k for it, and after reading about the latest 1DX firmware, I think that's what I'd really like.  Besides the obvious upgrades over the 5DIII, I'm so jealous of the new features, especially exposure compensation in Manual and being able to set a shutter speed over 1/250s for Auto ISO.  Why anyone at Canon thought 1/250s was reasonable, I'll never understand.

Those and spot AE linked to AF point make me lust for a 1DX. Still love my 5D3 though, and I can't really justify the additional expense right now.
+1 on 5D3. Even if linked spotmetering is hardware related, the other issue (Auto iso/exp comp/ 1/250 limit) is completely software related and a shame not to be fixed  :(

Niki

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2014, 07:15:04 AM »

this is what I was going to do…(i'm working enough now and i can afford another 5dm3) but I think there is something unique about the 5dm2…(on some jobs I use an old film camera for the same reason…there is something still very unique to me about film)….getting back to the 5d mark 2…I think it works well as back up camera and has a unique image..??

thanks to everyone at the forum for your replies…!

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 07:55:11 AM »

this is what I was going to do…(i'm working enough now and i can afford another 5dm3) but I think there is something unique about the 5dm2…(on some jobs I use an old film camera for the same reason…there is something still very unique to me about film)….getting back to the 5d mark 2…I think it works well as back up camera and has a unique image..??

thanks to everyone at the forum for your replies…!
If you believe so. However, when the 5D2 was the current model, the same was being said (a unique film-like image) about the original 5D...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 07:55:11 AM »