September 18, 2014, 10:04:07 AM

Author Topic: Lens Advise for Europe Vacation  (Read 2373 times)

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Lens Advise for Europe Vacation
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 12:01:26 AM »
A few random thoughts:

- If architecture and museums includes interiors, in case you don't already know this, it's worth pointing out that some of them are very dark inside even during the day (The Madeleine, for instance, has no natural light at all except a couple of skylights), and some won't allow a tripod (even if they did, in the more popular ones you would get in the way); so IS or fast lenses that perform well in low light wide open, esp. with coma (the candelabras in Notre Dame create coma from hell with lesser fast lenses like the 28mm 1.8), would be helpful (your Sigma would be good, though it's probably not wide enough). 

- The same applies to walking around at night, of course - which, at the risk of stating the obvious, is something you'll want to do: much of Paris looks marvelous at night. 

- Do you have experience carrying several heavy lenses all day?  The last time I was in Paris, with my 5DII, I found that if I took much with me, after a few hours of walking around I was almost ready to toss it all into the Seine and ended up taking just a couple of lenses with me, if that, when I left the hotel - 17-40 and/or 24-105 and/or 70-200 f4 IS during the day, with one or two faster ones for night or when I planned to go into somewhere with low light.  I would hate to carry around the 70-200 2.8 IS II all day and suspect that when I return to Paris in a couple of months I'll take only my Sony A7r with a couple of primes, and maybe some of my Olympus M4/3 - I probably take better photos when not worn out by lugging stuff around.  But that's me - you may be in far better physical shape! 

- For my taste, the most attractive parts of Paris are the narrow streets in the 5th & 6th Arr. on the Left Bank; a fairly wide lens would be useful for that (plus, as someone else said, something longer for the gargoyles).

- Maybe I'm lucky, but I've never had any security/theft issues with cameras (or anything else) in Paris, despite carrying around a 5DII + 70-200 f4 IS in plain sight for hours on end.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 12:01:26 AM »

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 12:10:52 AM »
PS - this may not apply to you, as I've no idea where you're from, but if you'll be returning, say, to the US, one reason not to take too much gear is this: the last time I flew back from Paris, the security person checking my carry-on bags made me remove each of my carefully packed lenses and open them up so she could verify that they were merely lenses.  No big deal, really, and perfectly understandable, but I had taken too many lenses, it took rather a long time and I suspect those in line behind me weren't entirely amused....

scotia

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 05:59:22 AM »
PS - this may not apply to you, as I've no idea where you're from, but if you'll be returning, say, to the US, one reason not to take too much gear is this: the last time I flew back from Paris, the security person checking my carry-on bags made me remove each of my carefully packed lenses and open them up so she could verify that they were merely lenses.  No big deal, really, and perfectly understandable, but I had taken too many lenses, it took rather a long time and I suspect those in line behind me weren't entirely amused....

It isn't just to the US. This has happened to me every time I have passed through CDG (to France and transiting within Europe and to Asia). Every lens and camera - including my point and shoot - had to be removed from my bag and checked. Each time I was travelling with only two three lenses and one DSLR body (they were work trips), but on my last trip the two guys in front of me were professional photographers heading to Malaysia for a major project - we had a long time to discuss it while their stuff was checked - and they told me they usually try to avoid transiting through CDG for this reason.

Hjalmarg1

• EOS M2
  • Photo Hobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 07:03:09 AM »
Hello all,
It's been awhile since I've posted here, but I have a fairly cliche question: What lenses do I take for a vacation?  My wife and I are heading to Paris for a week in a few days, and I'm having a harder time than I would have thought picking the lenses I want to take with me.  Here's what I've got:

Sigma 12-24mm
Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II (*)
Canon 24-70mm f/2.8L II (*)
Sigma 35mm f/1.4
Sigma 50mm f/1.4
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II
Canon 85mm f/1.2L II
Canon 100mm f/2.8L (+)
Canon 135mm f/2L

(*) = Definitely taking, (+) = Not taking.

I'm fairly certain I'm going to take the 70-200mm for some people shots, as well as the 35mm for some evening photos after the sun has set.  Otherwise, I'm pretty up in the air.  I'm mostly interested in photographing the architecture and museums.

I'd like to keep it to six lenses, but I could conceivably take them all since my carryon will be a pelican case.

As a side question, I've already covered the red lines on all my lenses with gaffers tape.  I realize I'm probably being a little paranoid, but does anyone have other suggestions for protecting my gear?  I'm planning on using a messenger bag instead of a backpack and keeping it buckled.

Thanks, everyone!

** EDIT: I'll be shooting with my 5Dm3 **
Hi,
If I were you I would like to travel light and to be hauling a big and heavy backpack all day and everyday. I would take the two you are already mentioning, plus the Sigma 35mm f1.4, the Sigma 12-24mm and the 135mm (+ the EF 2XIII Converter), since the 70-200mm f2.8L IS II is heavy, big and take attention.
Remember that are holidays and you should also enjoy the trip.
Body: 5DIII. Prime Lenses: 15mm f2.8, 100mm f2.8L IS, 35mm f2 IS, Extender EF 2X III.
Zoom Lenses: 16-35mm f4L IS, 24-70mm f2.8L, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II. Others: Flash 580EX II, 270EX II & MR-14EX II

Efka76

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 07:16:39 AM »
Hi, all lenses that you own are very good and, of course, you would be able to apply all of them in order to make beautiful pictures. However, my advice to you would be to limit your weight as much as possible and to take Canon 24-70 mm lenses only. These lenses are fast, there is a zoom which is useful for portraitures and landscapes. Last year I spent one week in Rome and understood one thing: camera + 1 lenses become quite heavy if you spent the whole day on foot. I am really strong and sporty guy but I felt all the weight on my neck. If you take 70-200 and other lenses you will be tired quite soon and will not see less Paris as you could. Also, I imagine vacation when you enjoy your time, walk with with In beautiful city but not carrying 10 kg or more on your shoulders and dreaming to sit on the bench to rest. One thing when you are going to Paris for work purposes (e.g. to shoot buildings, landscapes and etc. and you are paid for this job) and when you go for vacation.

I suggest you to relax, take as less gear as possible and enjoy that beautiful city together with your wife :)
Gripped EOS 7D | EF 50 1.4 USM | EF 70-200 2.8L IS II USM | EF 100 2.8L IS USM | Tamron SP 24-70 2.8 | EF-S 18-135 mm | 580 EXII | ThinkTank Retrospective 30

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 09:36:33 AM »
A lot of good comments about the weight I'll be carrying.  It's definitely a concern, but my plan is to take the six lenses I've listed, but only carry three at a time (perhaps only two if I'm lugging the 70-200mm).  I do a fair amount of urban exploring (Detroit area), and am used to hauling a body + four lenses, flash, and tripod.  And those familiar with Detroit urban exploring (probably not many in this forum) will know that means a LOT of stairs.  It's definitely taxing on the legs, hips, and shoulders, but that's what ducking into a pub for a pint or two is for.  :-)

Good advice on the low light situations.  That's the only reason I'm bringing the 35mm f/1.4 even though the focal range overlaps with my 24-70mm.  Having the extra two stops of light will be essential inside.

And I'm always used to getting screened by airport security.  That's why I always arrive as early as possible.  That and my customary pre-flight beer.  :-)
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

nmccrea43

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »
Thanks!  I'm sure your pics will turn out great.  You will have to post them when you get back.  You will get a great workout carrying all that gear and getting some miles under your feet.  Be sure to stop on occasion and enjoy a 5 euro cup of espresso at a sidewalk cafĂ© and do some people watching... There are lots of good looking people in Paris! 

nmccrea43: Great pictures, I can only hope mine turn out as nice.

Thanks again for all the replies!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 10:46:55 AM »