December 18, 2014, 03:49:40 AM

Author Topic: Hotshoe has stopped working?  (Read 909 times)

Earthdarling

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Hotshoe has stopped working?
« on: March 06, 2014, 08:32:17 PM »
I have been using my 6D with Excalibur flash unit for months, and suddenly it has stopped working with my camera. I can't figure out what is wrong. The flash is firing if I press the test button on the flash cord, but it's no longer speaking to my camera, so doesn't fire when I press the shutter. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's something strange I've done with my settings, although I haven't touched them much lately. I feel like i must have done something! The camera otherwise is working fine. Can anyone shed light on this (pun intended)? I am new to using flash at all, so please bear with me!

canon rumors FORUM

Hotshoe has stopped working?
« on: March 06, 2014, 08:32:17 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Hotshoe has stopped working?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2014, 08:37:27 PM »
Can you borrow another flash to test?  Are you shooting through the viewfinder, or using Live View?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2014, 09:14:53 PM »
Can you borrow another flash to test?  Are you shooting through the viewfinder, or using Live View?
Also, does the flash work on another camera?

Have you tried a fresh set of batteries? I have seen some very weird behaviour out of electronics when voltages get low....

As to settings, one thing to try when unexplained things happen is to "reset to factory settings".
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 09:16:55 PM by Don Haines »
The best camera is the one in your hands

Wick

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 11:16:57 AM »
I have been using my 6D with Excalibur flash unit for months, and suddenly it has stopped working with my camera. I can't figure out what is wrong. The flash is firing if I press the test button on the flash cord, but it's no longer speaking to my camera, so doesn't fire when I press the shutter. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's something strange I've done with my settings, although I haven't touched them much lately. I feel like i must have done something! The camera otherwise is working fine. Can anyone shed light on this (pun intended)? I am new to using flash at all, so please bear with me!

I had a similar problem. Pull the battery out of your camera. Wait a few seconds and reinsert. Worked for me.

Gert Arijs

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 01:17:26 PM »
Clean the hotshoe and the flashshoe. I've had problems with dirt. It was barely visible, but a simple cleaning solved the issue.
Good luck!
5D3, 7D and old 1Ds3. Gitzo with Markins.
Www.gertarijs.be

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 01:17:26 PM »