October 22, 2014, 06:37:52 AM

Author Topic: 1DX Review  (Read 13477 times)

rocketdesigner

1DX Review
« on: October 25, 2011, 10:14:08 AM »
Very good, 1DX review just posted by engadget:

http://engt.co/t3OZ8F

Interestingly, points out noise at the higher ISO points ???

canon rumors FORUM

1DX Review
« on: October 25, 2011, 10:14:08 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1DX Review
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 10:47:04 AM »
Wait, you mean ISO 51,200 isn't going to be perfectly noise-free?  Forget it, then - I no longer want a 1D X.    ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 11:04:37 AM »
The review is useless.

If I didn't know better, I'd say this posting was just an attempt to get hits on someone's website(s).

Skip this, it contains nothing new, interesting or novel.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 11:06:01 AM »
Noise doesn't show up in prints, like it does on a lcd monitor, however, contrast is weaker and detail is lost.  If I could get good quality images with minimum noise and lots of detail and contrast at ISO 12,800 i would be a huge improvement over my 5D MK II.

I'm sure that Canon only shows images taken with jpeg and huge amounts of NR.  They did the same with the 1D MK IV, and when reviewers finally obtained raw images, the real advance over the 1D MK III was about 1/2 stop, but the noise was easier to minimise with NR.  With the larger and better sensor, a 2 stop improvement over the 1D MK III using RAW is possible, but, would ISO 12,800 be as good as ISO 3200 on my 5D MK II?

It will be a while before we find out.  Having this sensor on a 5D MK III would be great!

rocketdesigner

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2011, 11:48:53 AM »
The review is useless.

If I didn't know better, I'd say this posting was just an attempt to get hits on someone's website(s).

Skip this, it contains nothing new, interesting or novel.

Actually it is not a waste of time. Very good video (albeit by a canon rep) outlining features and ergonomics of the body.

This unit is a beast ... may have to sell my Camry to get this Ferrari. :P

branden

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2011, 12:01:54 PM »
This review only further reinforces how much worse than useless Engadget is.

idigi

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 12:20:34 PM »
The best part of the review is between 2nd and 5th seconds.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2011, 12:20:34 PM »

Woody

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2011, 12:30:12 PM »
Pattern noise?

keith_cooper

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 12:32:50 PM »
From my own POV, until a review includes real images, it's just a rehash of Canon marketing info :-)

Not expecting to see any real images, not produced by Canon until some time shortly before delivery...

Others may be more impressed by a shutter firing away at 14 fps... YMMV ;-)

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 12:38:37 PM »
From my own POV, until a review includes real images, it's just a rehash of Canon marketing info :-)

Not expecting to see any real images, not produced by Canon until some time shortly before delivery...

Others may be more impressed by a shutter firing away at 14 fps... YMMV ;-)

Exactly.

nikkito

• Canon 6D
  • Argentine freelance photographer
    • View Profile
    • Facebook photo page
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2011, 12:46:23 PM »
you really expect to see extreme clean images at 51.200 ISO???
www.nicolaszonvi.com - www.facebook.com/zonviphoto

1D X, 5D Mk III, 5D Mk II, 16-35L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 85 f1.2, 40 f2.8, 50 f1.4, Sigma 10-20 and many other toy cameras.

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2011, 01:08:50 PM »
Image noise goes up with higher ISO, fact of life.  Of course images at 51,200 are going to be noisy... but if those noisy images are usable, if only just barely, and you wouldn't have gotten the shot at lower ISO then it's a useful ISO setting.  I'm not saying it will be useful, have to wait and see what the real world images look like.  Even the marketing images Canon will show will be optimum and controlled situations.

Realistically, if the 1DX or any new body, gets even even a full stop of better ISO performance (i.e. ISO 3200 of the new body look as good as ISO1600 on its predecessor) then it's a significant improvement.  In general as technology matures, big advances from one generation to the next get harder to achieve.  If what Canon has claimed so far is even part way true they've made some significant improvements.  Whether worth the upgrade to any given user depends on their needs and preferences.

Other than a non Canon employee getting to touch the 1DX and tell us about that, there's nothing new in the Engaget review but still worth the read and a quick look at the product shots.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 01:10:30 PM by Meh »

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 02:33:05 PM »
great. so what will the 5diii or whatever they call it be like? Looking forward...Cheers.
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2011, 02:33:05 PM »

fred_jb

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2011, 06:20:54 PM »
Image noise goes up with higher ISO, fact of life.

Well that's one way of looking at it.

I would prefer to look at it as the noise being reasonably constant (within limits) but the signal being reduced due to the lower light levels available when you have to use higher ISO settings.  The end result is a lower signal to noise ratio (SNR) leading to a noisier image.   The post-capture ISO amplification applied gets you back to the correct image brightness, but as it boosts signal and noise equally, cannot do anything to correct the already impaired SNR, hence the noise that was there all along becomes relatively more visible.

Impaired SNR is the natural result an under-exposed sensor which of course is what you get if you use an ISO setting higher than base ISO.   The exposure meter may say you are not under-exposed, but that is because it is adjusted in advance to allow for the amount of post capture ISO amplification which is going to be applied later.  By going above base ISO you are effectively accepting under-exposure at the sensor.

I would therefore say that high ISO noise performance is a somewhat mythical concept, as in reality the performance at any ISO setting is largely dictated by the SNR ratio at base ISO.  The better this is to start with, then the better the results as you start losing signal due to low light levels. 

Fred

Chris_BC

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 09:47:47 PM »

Realistically, if the 1DX or any new body, gets even even a full stop of better ISO performance (i.e. ISO 3200 of the new body look as good as ISO1600 on its predecessor) then it's a significant improvement.  In general as technology matures, big advances from one generation to the next get harder to achieve.  If what Canon has claimed so far is even part way true they've made some significant improvements.  Whether worth the upgrade to any given user depends on their needs and preferences.

One stop is not going to cut it.  Canon is claiming two stops, and they've done two other things that will be problematic. 

First, they've allowed they 1Ds to languish for over four years.  Considering the 1DX won't be available until March it will be about 4 1/2 years. 

Second, in spite of all the lower megapixel fans on this forum, the fact that the 1DX is 3 megapixels below both the 1Ds MKIII and the 5D MKII is going to require large gains in high ISO noise performance.  The most likely reason for Canon 'downsizing' the sensor megapixel wise is to finally leap ahead of Nikon in terms of noise performance.  The perception among many is that Nikon has enjoyed about a one stop advantage over Canon in noise at high ISO in the top end cameras.  The actual difference could be debated but for the 1DX to achieve its goal it needs two full stops of improvement.

It also needs at least one stop of increased dynamic range, if not 1.5 to 2 stops.  This is another area where according to DXO Mark and other testers Canon has been lagging behind Nikon.  Again the step backwards in megapixels and the long delay in bringing out a 1Ds replacement is going to need to be justified with big gains in other areas, as is the omission of features like full time auto focus during video recording.

« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 09:53:30 PM by Chris_BC »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2011, 09:47:47 PM »