October 02, 2014, 05:12:58 AM

Author Topic: Corrupted Images in Lightroom 5.3  (Read 2089 times)

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Re: Corrupted Images in Lightroom 5.3
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 03:48:24 AM »
Just a shot in the dark, but maybe try importing the files that are giving you problems into a new fresh Lightroom catalog. I've had a corrupt Lightroom catalog in the past and it resulted in a lot of strange intermittent errors.
Thanks for the tip and I have done that on several occasions ... when I re-import the images into a separate catalog, the problem disappears ... but it is really annoying, because I need to re-import everything separately and work with separate catalogs and name them separately so I can remember which catalog belongs to which image files etc ... which is just time consuming and makes the process from being enjoyable experience to cumbersome experience. 
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 03:48:24 AM »

philmoz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 03:49:55 AM »
Missed that they were jpegs, my mistake I haven't used them since, forever!

I'd start by removing LR from my computer and reloading it.
The file I uploaded was JPEG, but I generally shoot RAW and this problem occurs also in RAW files as well.
I was thinking about reloading LR ... but am worried that it might be the catalog that is causing the problem ... but I'll reload it one of these days (anyway the catalog is safely backed up in several places. But if it is the bloody catalog, then I'd need to sort (around 40000+ images, which is what I shot since LR5 release) and re-edit ... now that is making tired already. :(

At this stage you might be better to contact Adobe.

Phil.

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 03:57:20 AM »

The file I uploaded was JPEG, but I generally shoot RAW and this problem occurs also in RAW files as well.
I was thinking about reloading LR ... but am worried that it might be the catalog that is causing the problem ... but I'll reload it one of these days (anyway the catalog is safely backed up in several places. But if it is the bloody catalog, then I'd need to sort (around 40000+ images, which is what I shot since LR5 release) and re-edit ... now that is making tired already. :(

At this stage you might be better to contact Adobe.

Phil.
I was planning on doing it, but I thought I'd give it a shot at CR to see if anyone else is facing the same problem and how they fixed it ... and if they did not get it fixed, then I was planning on contacting Adobe saying that "I've got few more people who are experiencing the same problem" ... but looks like, I'm alone on this one.
Will keep you posted on what Adobe has to say ... thanks for your replies.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 09:27:02 AM »

I was thinking about reloading LR ... but am worried that it might be the catalog that is causing the problem ... but I'll reload it one of these days (anyway the catalog is safely backed up in several places. But if it is the bloody catalog, then I'd need to sort (around 40000+ images, which is what I shot since LR5 release) and re-edit ... now that is making me tired already. :(

If it is happening to RAW files it is 100% your catalog.

But fixing it isn't as onerous as all that. I'd start a new one, then split the old one and "Import from another Catalog....." do this in stages and you will narrow down where your issue is, you will save all your edits, ratings and keywords etc too.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 09:45:26 AM »

I was thinking about reloading LR ... but am worried that it might be the catalog that is causing the problem ... but I'll reload it one of these days (anyway the catalog is safely backed up in several places. But if it is the bloody catalog, then I'd need to sort (around 40000+ images, which is what I shot since LR5 release) and re-edit ... now that is making me tired already. :(

But fixing it isn't as onerous as all that. I'd start a new one, then split the old one and "Import from another Catalog....." do this in stages and you will narrow down where your issue is, you will save all your edits, ratings and keywords etc too.
Could you please elaborate on "split the old one and import form another catalog"?
Thanks in advance

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2014, 10:42:13 AM »

Could you please elaborate on "split the old one and import form another catalog"?
Thanks in advance

Yes,

Open LR in your current corrupted catalog (1), select several thousand images and then go File: Export as catalog...... (3)
Then open LR with a brand new catalog (Catalog 2) and go File: Import from Another Catalog........(3)
Then go back to your first, corrupted one (1), and export another few thousand images to a fourth catalog (4), then import that via the above moves to your new main uncorrupted one (2).

Sounds more complicated than it is  :)

Edit: Doing this does not move or touch your actual image files at all, it is just manipulating the catalogs.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 11:39:13 AM by privatebydesign »
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 02:52:57 PM »
I think one of Lightroom's biggest potential pitfalls is not not being aware of a corrupt database-catalog. It is entirely possible to not notice a corrupt LR catalog; and thereby to naively continue to innocently work with it! Even having multiple backups won't help you if they are all derived from the same corrupt catalog.

Sh!t like this keeps me up at night, so I long ago resigned myself to save a number of unique iterations (if that's the correct word) of my LR catalogs that are each kept for a pretty long period of time.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2014, 02:52:57 PM »

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2014, 03:39:34 PM »
I think one of Lightroom's biggest potential pitfalls is not not being aware of a corrupt database-catalog. It is entirely possible to not notice a corrupt LR catalog; and thereby to naively continue to innocently work with it! Even having multiple backups won't help you if they are all derived from the same corrupt catalog.

Sh!t like this keeps me up at night, so I long ago resigned myself to save a number of unique iterations (if that's the correct word) of my LR catalogs that are each kept for a pretty long period of time.

People worry about the strangest things. It is just a catalog, it is not the actual images. It is of little consequence and should be anticipated and mitigated by a simple but robust digital management strategy.

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2014, 04:32:29 PM »
It is just a catalog...
I realize, of course, that the catalog leaves the actual image files untouched. And yeah, the catalog is just a catalog... But it's a catalog of all the work I've put into the post-processing...
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 04:50:56 PM by JustMeOregon »

philmoz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2014, 04:38:27 PM »

I'm not sure why you are claiming this?

The JPEG files were physically corrupted on the hard disk, and I would suspect the RAW files would be as well (Rienzphotoz - do you have a sample RAW file that you can upload both the corrupted and proper version).

How would this be caused by the catalog?
I'm not saying it's not possible; but I can't imagine a scenario where it would be the case.

Phil.

philmoz

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2014, 05:34:08 PM »

Been thinking about this some more.

AFAIK LR will only write back to a Canon RAW file if you update the capture time (and enable the write back option).

If the RAW files are being physically corrupted then I can't think of any scenario in which LR would be responsible for this (I'm not saying it can't happen; but it just seems very unlikely).

A sample corrupt and good RAW file would help.

Adobe are going to ask the same sort of questions already posted here.

I do understand the frustration dealing with an issue like this; but I'd like to suggest again that finding time to do some controlled testing is probably your best bet right now.

For example:
- shoot a bunch of images on a camera & card you've had problems with.
- copy the files to you computer
- before importing into LR compare the images on the hard disk to the CF/SD card (you can use diff on OS/X or fc on Windows). If the files don't match, then try changing card reader.
- if the files match, import into LR and see if you get any corruption

You might need to do this multiple times until you can reproduce the problem. It will probably be time consuming and tedious; but there really doesn't seem any other option to me.

Phil.

privatebydesign

• Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2014, 08:28:28 PM »

I'm not sure why you are claiming this?

The JPEG files were physically corrupted on the hard disk, and I would suspect the RAW files would be as well (Rienzphotoz - do you have a sample RAW file that you can upload both the corrupted and proper version).

How would this be caused by the catalog?
I'm not saying it's not possible; but I can't imagine a scenario where it would be the case.

Phil.

Because Rienzphotoz has said RAW files are not affected, only the LR rendition of them, "when I re-import the images into a separate catalog, the problem disappears". The actual image files are not being damaged, they only look damaged in one catalog of LR, ergo, it is most likely to be that catalog.

Rienzphotoz

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 11:25:17 PM »

Thanks in advance

Yes,

Open LR in your current corrupted catalog (1), select several thousand images and then go File: Export as catalog...... (3)
Then open LR with a brand new catalog (Catalog 2) and go File: Import from Another Catalog........(3)
Then go back to your first, corrupted one (1), and export another few thousand images to a fourth catalog (4), then import that via the above moves to your new main uncorrupted one (2).

Sounds more complicated than it is  :)

Edit: Doing this does not move or touch your actual image files at all, it is just manipulating the catalogs.
Thank you ... I'll give it a go when I get home.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 11:25:17 PM »