August 22, 2014, 09:45:18 AM

Author Topic: Three days in The Big Apple  (Read 5027 times)

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Three days in The Big Apple
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2014, 03:52:56 PM »
Staying in midtown?  First and most important rule.  GET OUT OF MIDTOWN!  Midtown is mostly tourist stuff anyway.  Sure, you have to photographer the Chrysler building and the Empire State Building so get it out of your system.  The other thing that is kind of in midtown is Grand Central Station.  Spend a few hours in Grand Central Station .  Good place for people & architectural photography.  Save this if it's raining and you need to be inside.  Now, lets get you out and about.  Take the F train to York Street in Brooklyn (buy yourself a 3 day unlimited card, subways is the best way to get around, safe & fast).  Walk through DUMBO to Brooklyn Bridge Park (this is a short walk but gets you under 2 bridges and the best views of Manhattan.  Continue in the park under the Brooklyn Bridge to the Squibb Park rope bridge.  go past the bridge and take some photos of the skyline  with the burnt out pier pilings. Now up the Squibb Park bridge  to the Brooklyn Heights Promenade  (think Moonstruck).  You then have the choice to walk through Brownstone Brooklyn or walk over the Brooklyn Bridge to lower Manhattan.  This should fill up a day and a memory card or 2.
Another day you can catch a subway to the Lower East Side (F train again to Essex Street) walk around the Lower East Side and then walk over the Williamsburg Bridge to hipster Brooklyn in Williamsburg.  Take the L train back to the end (8th Avenue and if you have anything left in your legs you can walk visit the Chelsea Markets and walk up the HighLine Park.  You might also want to take the tram to Roosevelt Island and see Freedom Park.  Great views of Manhattan here.  As to Museums the Museum of Modern Art can be hit or miss and is usually impossibly crowded.  There is plenty to see and photograph at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  Here is my best tip.  It is open until 9PM on Friday and Saturday.   The crowds really thin out after 5PM.  Go at 5 stay until 9. If it's nice out it is safe to walk around the Central Park reservoir at night.  Other ideas are the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens and one of my favorites is Green Wood Cemetery.  Not hard to get too and definitely something special that the tourists don't see.  Once again GET OUT OF MIDTOWN!  Midtown is for tourists.   You can do well with just the 24-105.  Thats is what I use about 95% of the time.  The wide angle will be useful too.  If you don't have a Black Rapid or something similar you might want to consider it.  Takes a big load off your neck and will add hours to your shooting day.  BTW Grand Central Station and I think the museums frown on tripods.  Best time and place for a tripod is Brooklyn Bridge Park at night.  Welcome and have fun

Been their once and that right there really really makes me want to go back, have to admit we did get caught in the 'tourist trap' some what, but it's a very enjoyable trap to get caught in. Difficult to balance the must sees with further afield attractions especially with a family addicted to shopping!
+1000000

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2014, 03:52:56 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »
Staying in midtown?  First and most important rule.  GET OUT OF MIDTOWN!

Just don't do it between the hours of four and six.......
The best camera is the one in your hands

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2014, 06:32:33 PM »
Wow-christianronnel, Those are a couple of inspiring shots!

I think my equipment list is coming together:
Monopod
5 DIII + 7D w generic straps
24-105/ 24-70 +10-22 & 8-15 fisheye
1 ratty looking backpack
cards & batteries-
It could hardly be simpler
Just gotta talk my wife out of the plays on Broadway and most the museums now...
As far as I can tell from the web site , the Statue of Liberty is open, fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone!

Please don't avoid the Broadway shows, at least not all of them.  They are a must!  And since you list two bodies, don't carry them both at the same time, they will just weigh you down.  You will be walking A LOT.  Keep it light.  Just take a body, two lenses, and minimal extra stuff.  You'll have to deal with security sometimes, you'll have to manage and hold on to it all in the subway and you'll have to put it somewhere when you eat.  A lot of places you go are small.  Tables, chairs, etc are cramped.  One SLR on a BR strap with an extra lens in a backpack along with all your extra stuff (including perhaps a light rain jacket or umbrella) will be plenty.

And I'll push my favorite little flash one more time.  The SunPak RD2000 with a StoFen diffuser works great on the 5D-III for fill.  Don't forget to get a few eneloops.  Two AA batteries in that flash should last all day with an extra two in your pocket.

Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2014, 08:16:19 AM »
As a New Yorker I gotta post this to this thread. It is hysterical and all totally true. I'll follow with real suggestions after we all have a laugh.

http://youtu.be/8LmPBPWHJu4

It's really good advice. I avoid rush hour when travelling.

My last time to NYC, morning rush hour was spent enjoying breakfasts or bicycling through parks (there is a loop around the edge of Manhattan....very nice!)

Evening rush hour was spent enjoying a meal, except for my trip up the Empire State Building.... strangely deserted at supper time :)

When I am driving through a large city, I time it to miss rush hour. Who needs the agravation.
The best camera is the one in your hands

ooF Fighters

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2014, 01:23:48 AM »
Might try this, or at least get a few hints from their itinerary:

http://www.viator.com/tours/New-York-City/Small-Group-Photography-Walking-Tour-of-NYC/d687-5537NYCPHOTO

Thanks for the link, Jumbo
Helicopter tour eh? Hmm

ooF Fighters

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2014, 01:27:30 AM »
Wow-christianronnel, Those are a couple of inspiring shots!

I think my equipment list is coming together:
Monopod
5 DIII + 7D w generic straps
24-105/ 24-70 +10-22 & 8-15 fisheye
1 ratty looking backpack
cards & batteries-
It could hardly be simpler
Just gotta talk my wife out of the plays on Broadway and most the museums now...
As far as I can tell from the web site , the Statue of Liberty is open, fingers crossed.

Thanks everyone!

Please don't avoid the Broadway shows, at least not all of them.  They are a must!  And since you list two bodies, don't carry them both at the same time, they will just weigh you down.  You will be walking A LOT.  Keep it light.  Just take a body, two lenses, and minimal extra stuff.  You'll have to deal with security sometimes, you'll have to manage and hold on to it all in the subway and you'll have to put it somewhere when you eat.  A lot of places you go are small.  Tables, chairs, etc are cramped.  One SLR on a BR strap with an extra lens in a backpack along with all your extra stuff (including perhaps a light rain jacket or umbrella) will be plenty.

And I'll push my favorite little flash one more time.  The SunPak RD2000 with a StoFen diffuser works great on the 5D-III for fill.  Don't forget to get a few eneloops.  Two AA batteries in that flash should last all day with an extra two in your pocket.
Well I'm taking my 14 yo son along and he will use the 7d. with the 10-22 lens, I think. Otherwise he will be staring at his smart phone the whole trip!

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 02:57:46 PM »
I just got back, and NYC was incredible and a place I will visit several times more. B&H was surreal (with its Harry Potter logistics system:). Here is a shot I took while eating at The River Cafe in Brooklyn. I hope you like it.

G.
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2014, 02:57:46 PM »

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2014, 03:25:01 PM »
Great shot Quasimodo. Nicely dine.

canon rumors FORUM