September 02, 2014, 10:45:29 PM

Author Topic: Three days in The Big Apple  (Read 5126 times)

ooF Fighters

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Three days in The Big Apple
« on: March 07, 2014, 02:00:28 PM »
Greetings Rumors friends-
Luck has found me!
I am tagging along with my wife on a trip to New York a couple of weeks from now.
I'll have three solid days between travel days to kill, and I would like advice on what to see, with photography being the main interest. We will be staying in midtown.
So... Three days- What are the top five or so things you all would shoot?
Thanks!

canon rumors FORUM

Three days in The Big Apple
« on: March 07, 2014, 02:00:28 PM »

slclick

• 7D
  • I've got a sharp artifact for you!
    • View Profile
Re: Three days in The Big Apple
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 04:00:41 PM »
street!

architecture
and people... soho, washington square park, the village
5d3+ Sigma 24-105, Sigma 35, Canon 40, Canon 70-200L 2.8 ll, Canon 100L Macro, Kenko 1.4 Extender

Standard

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2014, 06:05:46 PM »
NYC is a haven for street photographers. But everywhere you look, regardless of where you will be, there will be tons of other things to shoot as well. Simply research where you'll be staying, or where you'd like to visit, and have at it. You really can't go wrong. A word of advice, bring a wide angle lens…and if you're wearing a Canon camera strap, reverse it out so as NOT TO DISPLAY the brand (or replace it with a plain black strap) and wear it diagonally across the shoulder so the camera is tucked close to the front and side of your arm. When traveling, don't carry a camera bag but rather a non discreet camera backpack. You'll thank me later.  Have fun.

Here are selected shots I've taken:
http://www.shaolinfury.com/furyeffect/new-york-city/
http://www.shaolinfury.com/furyeffect/new-york-city-in-film/
http://www.shaolinfury.com/furyeffect/harlem-blues/

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »
Have breakfast in the tick tock diner New Yorker hotel..... Enjoy!
Never had a problem anywhere I went in that lovely city but I'm from Glasgow so maybe I know instinctively how to conduct myself to avoid trouble!

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2014, 07:49:36 PM »
NYC is a haven for street photographers. But everywhere you look, regardless of where you will be, there will be tons of other things to shoot as well. Simply research where you'll be staying, or where you'd like to visit, and have at it. You really can't go wrong. A word of advice, bring a wide angle lens…and if you're wearing a Canon camera strap, reverse it out so as NOT TO DISPLAY the brand (or replace it with a plain black strap) and wear it diagonally across the shoulder so the camera is tucked close to the front and side of your arm. When traveling, don't carry a camera bag but rather a non discreet camera backpack. You'll thank me later.  Have fun.

Here are selected shots I've taken:
http://www.shaolinfury.com/furyeffect/new-york-city/
http://www.shaolinfury.com/furyeffect/new-york-city-in-film/
http://www.shaolinfury.com/furyeffect/harlem-blues/

Lovely pictures and a good timing for me as well. I will be staying in the upper east side for four nights in April right before easter with my wife. We both take pictures. I was thinking about bringing my Siggy 35art, 135L, and maybe the 24-105. If I know my wife well, she will use the 135L most, and maybe the 24-105, so I was thinking of bringing the 16-35L II as well... I shoot on full frame, while her camera is a crop
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

ooF Fighters

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2014, 07:57:19 PM »
Thanks Standard-
Beautiful shots- Handheld? I don't want to haul a tripod around. I've done very little people or street photography at all, so it will be very different from my usual bands, baseball and birds.
I'm taking a 5D III + 24-70 as well as a 7D + 10-22.( my son will use the 7d) Ill take the advice and use BR strap, but I was really wanting to show off my new Louis Vuitton camera bag ;). Oh well.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:58:58 PM by ooF Fighters »

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 08:32:27 PM »
It's a great place.  Recently spent 4 days in NYC and basically always had my camera in my hand.  People, architecture, whatever.  We also stayed in midtown (Bryant Park area) and  walked as far as the Battery to the south and as far as the Upper East Side to the north.  Equipment-wise, I brought my travel triumvirate: 17-40, 24-105, 70-200 F/4 IS.  But, I didn't take the 24-104 off the camera the entire time.  Hang out in the park near the ice rink and you'll see lots of people photo ops.  Go to Times Square.  Walk around West Village along Christopher and Bleeker Streets.  And, be sure to visit B&H and Adorama just for the experience (kid in a candy shop).  Photo ops also in Highline Park (used to be an elevated train line and is now a park).  Go to Chinatown and the Lower East Side / Little Italy for more shots (and the food) and walk on the Brooklyn Bridge while you are down there.  I could go on and on.  Have a great time!

Because someone always raises the topic, I'll tell you that if you are "urban aware," just be smart and you will not have any personal safety issues.  FWIW, I had my stuff in my Retrospective 7 (I'd think by now that "bad guys" would recognize the non-camera-bag-camera-bags but it is unobtrusive) and my Smugmug strap over my shoulder with my hand through the E-2 holding the camera.  So, barring a mugging (jeeze, I am NOT trying to scare anyone and really was not worried), little chance of losing anything.

JP
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2014, 08:32:27 PM »

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2014, 09:28:35 PM »
"Standard", whose excellent photos are anything but, has given you plenty of clues.  I would suggest, as his photos do, that NY isn't so much a matter of "things" as places, preferably large areas on extended walks - e.g. an afternoon walk that starts in Central Park at Bethesda Terrace, goes down the mall to the pond, where there's a bridge that gives great views of The Plaza Hotel and surrounding buildings (esp. good at dusk), continuing down 5th Ave to Rockefeller Center and from there to Radio City Music Hall and on to Times Sq. (these are all best at night).  A walk down (or up) the "High Line" (and abandoned elevated train track that's been converted into a park of sorts) which has interesting things on and around it; I spent a couple of enjoyable hours doing that last Sunday, and, tempted by the view of the Hudson, followed it with a walk along abandoned piers and parks, with a nice view of the new World Trade Center in the distance.  Depending on how far south you go, you could head east to Little Italy/Chinatown, or Washington Square and then head up Broadway to Union Square (with luck this will coincide with the superb farmers' market) and continue up Broadway to the Flatiron Building and beyond.  Or walk over the Brooklyn Bridge for great views of Manhattan from the east.  But it's hard to go wrong....

Doing all that walking you won't want to lug around a lot of heavy gear, obviously, but aside from that, at the risk of sounding reckless, I think the security warnings you've been given are overstated.  I don't like camera straps and bags (unless I'm taking something small like M43 or Sony A7r) and typically carry just one camera with one lens, holding it in my hand (I find it far more comfortable, but maybe that's just me).  I do this quite a lot in NY and have never had a problem or sensed a situation where there might be one.  Maybe it's just because I'm pretty familiar with it, but it seems like a pretty safe city to me (likewise Philadelphia, where I live and do the same thing).

Anyway, have a great time!

ooF Fighters

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 10:40:40 PM »
Wow
I am getting more fired up about this trip by the minute. I love the sound of "NY isn't so much a matter of "things" as places, preferably large areas on extended walks"- I look forward to that much more than running around on public transportation. And thank you all for the personal safety advice and reassurances. I have had opportunities to visit NY before, but always declined, I think because as a kid, I saw the movie "The Out of Towners", the one with Jack Lemmon.
Oh, and B&H hadn't even crossed my mind- I'm going to go see where all my money has been going!

It sounds like the 24-70 will do the job on the 5d- I haven't convinced myself I need to get the 16-35.

So- should I pass on the Statue of Liberty & Empire state Bldg? I expected those to be way up on someones list but maybe they arent that interesting?

JPAZ

• 6D
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2014, 12:49:47 AM »
The Statue of Liberty closed down after "Superstorm Sandy" due to floods and damage to the piers.  Do go if it has reopened.  The Empire State Building has some great art deco stuff and you should go up for the view once, if you've never been.
5d Mkiii; Eos-M; too many lenses; 430 EXii and a whole lot of stuff

winglet

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2014, 07:06:41 AM »
New York is undoubtably one of the absolute best places to photograph in the world. There is simply an overload of things to point your camera at and no one will bat an eye as tourists and street photography are everywhere. I looked in my logbook and I counted 28 trips to the city (airline pilot), but I could never begin to see it all in several lifetimes.

I would definitely have a list of places to see, and have a loose idea beforehand of where you want to go, and how you will get there. With an RTA day pass and the subway you're good to go, you can cover an incredible amount of ground in the time you'll be there. But having said that don't schedule TOO tightly, to leave some room for improvisation because you will find unexpected things around every corner.

There are a ton of landmark buildings around Times Square, which is also close to the south end of Central Park (which is also near Columbus Circle and the iconic 5th Ave Apple store). You'll be able to stroll by Carnegie Hall, Rockefeller Center, and Radio City Music Hall.

When you get hungry, your biggest problem will be deciding which of the incredible delis, street carts, or limitless restaurants to choose from. It's insane.

Do go see B&H but don't get bogged down, you could waste half a day in there just gawking around and talking to the amazing salespeople. It's like Santa's workshop with the baskets whizzing around on the tracks and elevators. (You'll see!  :) )

From what you describe, if you won't have the 24-105 probably the next best will be the 16-35, definitely the best for the architecture. But for the people pics not as suitable and even the 35 is a little short if you're on a full-frame. Really if you just took the 24-105 and hit the streets you'd be good, with maybe the 16-35 to swap for some awesome building shots.

But as long as you use a bare minimum of common sense, I can't think you will have the slightest problem with personal safety. It isn't the New York of the 70's when muggings and petty theft were rampant, it's actually a very safe city.

Enjoy! I'm envious, can't wait for my next trip there!
Canon 1DX, 5DII | 50 f/1.2 | 85 f/1.2II | 100 f/2.8 Macro | 135 f/2 | 16-35 f/2.8 | 24-70 f/2.8II | 70-200 f/2.8II | 200-400 f/4 1.4X | 8-15 f/4 Fisheye | 24 f/3.5TS | 4X 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT | Fuji X100s

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2014, 07:38:39 AM »
The Statue of Liberty closed down after "Superstorm Sandy" due to floods and damage to the piers.  Do go if it has reopened.  The Empire State Building has some great art deco stuff and you should go up for the view once, if you've never been.

Agree on the Empire State building..... the view from the top is fantastic.

I was warned about long lines and a 2 to 3 hour wait to go to the top so I decided to pass on it and just walk around instead. As I walked by the entrance you could see the ropes for the lineups inside, but no people.... so I asked what the wait was and was told there was none. I went inside, through a LARGE room with lots of ropes for the line-up to go ( without people) and went straight to the elevators... at the top the view was great, no crowds, and to top it all off, a smog-free day and great visibility....
The best camera is the one in your hands

lion rock

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 08:46:02 AM »
ooF,
Plan on some night time long exposure from a high vantage point of the city.  Our daughter took us up to Rockefeller's.  Use high iso, open wide, they don't allow tripods up there.  There may be other places high up, but I don't know of others.
-r

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2014, 08:46:02 AM »

christianronnel

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2014, 11:09:10 AM »
A visit to the top of the Empire State is  a must.  You can buy a Citypass that would get you big discounts.  Skip most of the museums except for maybe Guggenhiem for architecture photography and the Met just for awesomeness.  The Brooklyn bridge is not that far either and it's a good stroll.  There are some good cafes and restaurants to have dinner in that area after sunset shooting.  Here are a couple of shots I took when I was there a week before hurricane Sandy.  Have a fun and safe trip!

http://500px.com/photo/61877397
http://500px.com/photo/61710507
Don't take life too seriously; no one makes it out alive anyway

EOS 5D mark III | EOS 7D | EF16-35mm f2.8L II | EF24-70mm f2.8L II | EF70-200mm f2.8L IS II | EF70-300mm f4-5.6L IS | EF40mm f2.8 STM | EF50mm f1.4 | EF85mm f1.8

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 11:31:05 AM »
I would agree with winglet, if you're trying to keep it simple, a 24-105 (or 24-70) + a 16-35 (or 17-40) would be great.  Those two lenses would not weigh you down and you would have plenty of room left in your day pack for other stuff.  Make sure and watch the weather and maybe take a light jacket depending on temp and possible rain.  The only other lens I might throw in would be the 15mm FishEye because it's so fun and very small/light.  If IQ isn't your top priority, you could replace the 24-105 with a Tamrom 28-300 super zoom and you'd have more reach but still take a wide lens of some kind.

I haven't been to NY in a long time and everyone else has offered so much good advice on the city that all I'll say is the Subway makes NY a joy to move around in.  No waiting for taxis or buses, etc.  But most of the time you will want to stay on the street and walk.  There is soooo much to see.  It's a feast for the eyes.  Very interesting both day and night.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2014, 11:31:05 AM »