July 29, 2014, 02:19:33 AM

Author Topic: EF 85mm f/1.2L II - wobbly wobbly  (Read 519 times)

fluter

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
EF 85mm f/1.2L II - wobbly wobbly
« on: March 07, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »
Hi guys,

I just got my brand-spanking-new 85L II in the mail. It works great, but there's a slight problem with the feel that I don't know how to react to. The focusing ring feels somewhat wobbly - every time I grab it, it shifts sideways, not catastrophically, but noticeably. I googled the issue and saw one review that talks about this wobble, but since there wasn't much else I could find, I'm looking for a second opinion here. Is this something that I should report to the seller and should I have them replace the lens? How many of you 85L users did this happen to?

Thank you very much.
Canon 6D | 24-105L | 70-200/2.8L II | 50/1.4 | 85L II | 430 EX II

canon rumors FORUM

EF 85mm f/1.2L II - wobbly wobbly
« on: March 07, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »

Ruined

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: EF 85mm f/1.2L II - wobbly wobbly
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 08:08:16 PM »
Hi guys,

I just got my brand-spanking-new 85L II in the mail. It works great, but there's a slight problem with the feel that I don't know how to react to. The focusing ring feels somewhat wobbly - every time I grab it, it shifts sideways, not catastrophically, but noticeably. I googled the issue and saw one review that talks about this wobble, but since there wasn't much else I could find, I'm looking for a second opinion here. Is this something that I should report to the seller and should I have them replace the lens? How many of you 85L users did this happen to?

Thank you very much.

I've read in a couple of places that the focus ring is wobbly, actually.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 09:23:04 PM »
What do you mean by 'wobbly' - what's the direction of the movement?  The focus ring always rotates very freely, since the 85L lenses use electronic manual focus (focus-by-wire).  When I grab the barrel of mine in one hand and the focus ring in the other, I can transversely shift it very slightly, but it's not something I've ever noticed when using the lens.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 09:23:04 PM »